User Reviews for Luvox

Learn more about Luvox.

Luvox Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Luvox to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I've been on Luvox for 6 months now on 200 mg/day. I switched from Prozac because of libido problems, but it actually didn't make any difference. I completely lost interest in sex and got weight really fast. My OCD is controlled, but I feel depressed, sleeping a lot during day and nothing during night haha it's horrible... Also I compulsively scratch my head until it bleeds (tricotilomania?) and Prozac had helped me stop it. Now on Luvox, the problem is back. I'm switching back to Prozac or giving a try to Zoloft."

Heyheymama January 7, 2016

"Luvox was the second medication I tried for OCD. I was only on the lowest dose of this medication for 4 days, because the side effects were unbearable. About 4 hours after taking this medication, I became incredibly sedated and out of it. The drowsiness was so pronounced that I did not wish to continue this med. Since I had no where near reached the therapeutic dose of this medication, I hope that my rating doesn't discourage one from trying it. All SSRI's are notorious for having some inital side effects before you see their benefit; I just couldn't make it to that stage."

juliagulia65 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

"It has worked very well for my OCD, I've been taking it for 6 months now and all side effects have gone away. I recommend Luvox for OCD."

Alex T.S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2015

"I was having major anxiety and depression. I sought therapy for a year and nothing was helping. I tried Amitriptyline, Prozac, Lexapro, and I don't know what else I can't remember. I found a psychiatrist that immediately diagnosed me as OCD at 30(!!). Mainly O with some compulsions that are highly functioning. This drug stopped the depression in weeks at 50mg. Compulsions were so much more manageable. After two years it just stopped working. We've gone up to 100mg and I started getting blurry vision. 125mg and I was highly agitated and depressed. Not sure where to go from here."

OCD1983 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2015

"Absolutely amazing! I was in a terrible spot with my harm OCD..... And then this miracle of a drug came along! It's almost like its a physical volume knob that turns your thoughts down... To the point where they are still there, but so quiet they're insignificant. ONLY reason I gave it a 9/10 is because it took a while to work.... But that's different for everyone. If you're reading this and are wondering if it's going to even work... I have been on it for a solid 8 weeks, and I'm JUST now starting to feel the effects. I literally have trouble falling asleep now, only because I'm excited about tomorrow! :)"

Anonymous September 30, 2015

"Absolutely amazing! I was in a terrible spot with my harm OCD..... And then this miracle of a drug came along! It's almost like its a physical volume knob that turns your thoughts down... To the point where they are still there, but so quite they're insignificant. ONLY reason I have it a 9/10 is because it took a while to work.... But that's different for everyone. If you're reading this and are wondering if it's going to even work... I have been on it for a solid 8 weeks, and I'm JUST now starting to feel the effects. I literally have trouble falling asleep now, only because I'm excited about tomorrow! :)"

LudaCHRIS97 September 30, 2015

"Saved my life plain and simple. Taking the drug for 18 years now fluctuating between 100 and 400mg over the years. The thoughts consumed my every waking moment, smothering me, making it impossible to live. In the times I've gone off the drug over the years my symptoms resurfaced, only to be reigned in by Luvox. Yes there are side effects, but they are nothing that can't be tolerated when the alternative is death."

Prometheus bound (taken for 10 years or more) September 22, 2015

"I immediately noticed my anxiety went down but I had to stop taking the medication because I would sleep up to 16 hours a day, which was not practical as a law student. I also experienced severe nausea and headaches. I felt extremely frustrated that I was prescribed this medication by my doctor."

Renee92 August 16, 2015

"One week and a half and so far so good - takes me down several notches for anxiety, which is good! I've had OCD for over 35 years and it's going to be v hard to break - it may be helping a smidge?"

Trishy Trish Gee June 28, 2015

"After 10 years of struggling with heightening anxiety, I came very close to breaking point, and checked myself into a wonderful private psych hospital - which at the time, I found absolutely terrifying. Little did I know, my timing was perfect, as I met my new doctor (an angel/psychiatrist) who made an OCD diagnosis straight away. With him, I started on 100mg of Luvox, which had a positive effect within 2 days. We increased my dose to 200mg per night, which has continued to work superbly ever since (and it's been 1.5 years). I can't speak highly enough of Luvox, which is the one and only medication I've tried. The biggest thing I've learnt about OCD, is that the 'cure' (aka, return to the healthy pool) = medication + psychology + lifestyle!"

Courageous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

"This medication has helped me tremendously. I'm not sure how I lived without it. It took about a week of me taking the medication for my symptoms of OCD to improve, and ever since I have felt 99%. Once every few months I have my 'alright days', but then again, I do have my consecutive couple days that I forget to take them before I fall asleep.... :S :)"

Hann May 19, 2015

"I've been on Luvox for 12 years for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It was the first medication and I tried and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't try anything else."

Kijill (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I finally got the courage to talk to my GP about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and all the other issues it was creating. I was first OCD when 14 (Now 33) I was given some samples of Aropax back then and it seemed to eliminate the symptoms immediately, but over time and no planning for continued dosage, my condition worsened and led me to Luvox. I was really down and out. The Luvox initially made me very tired. Dimished Sex Drive and loss of appetite. The enhanced depression was getting to me. The initial 50mg dose was increased (I'm 6'5 115kgs) to 100mg. After 4-5 weeks this started getting better. The sleepiness became the opposite (hard to sleep). Take them at the same time every day and keep a journal of your improvement."

Aussie OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

"Luvox is fantastic - My Dr put me on it first up, I didn't try any other medicines, and I've been on it for over a year now, and have happily lived almost symptom free. The only thing is when I miss it one or two nights I become a bit of a mess, crying and feeling anxious. Also, I'm starting to feel a bit of depression which is odd for me, but I think it will just be a matter of lowering the dose - It was so bad I was on 300mg and 2mg of Risperidone, but now down to 300mg Luvox only, but perhaps should try going down to 200mg to see if the motivation comes back."

ElleTee (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 22, 2014

"Wow finally a conversation with my son that is NOT fishing. 17 yr old son was dropped on his head when he was born by a nurse. He has seen the same neuro since being a baby. We've tried everything. Cocktails of medicines, seizure meds, etc. Nothing helped. It got so bad I was placed on medication for my nerves. His neurologist suggested we try Luvox. I am sitting next to my son, who is playing a game. Calm yet very alert not dragging like other meds did to him. He is able to hold conversations about so many topics and that is a relief even to him."

Mom of odd child (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2014

"So far this is the best medication I've been on for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have obsessive thoughts and ruminating as my compulsion and it was totally debilitating before. I was on mirtazapine for a while but felt emotionless and still had a lot of OCD-"crashes". Switched to Fluvox because mirtazapine made me gain a lot of weight. Finally losing weight now and have a normal appetite again! Obliterates obsessive thoughts and makes me feel really happy, plus I have all my strong emotions back, feeling more "me" again. Frustrating side effect in insomnia (most nights I wake up 2-3 times for 30 mins at least and sleep very restlessly) but the headaches and nausea have both passed, so hopefully this will also pass."

indie_annika March 17, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"15 years ago after suffering with severe panic attacks I found a doctor who found the root of my troubles was my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was on Luvox, brand name only because when I tried the generics they did NOT work? During the time it was off market, I suffered terribly until it came back. It keeps my OCD in check to the best it can be BRAND name only, I do not know why."

Elisse (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2014

"I have been on Luvox for just over a year. I have realized that if I miss a dose or two which I have done at times my symptoms return (racing thoughts, self harm,..awful). It usually takes a week or so to get back on track with taking my medicine on a regular basis again. I love the medicine, but I have noticed I cannot miss a dose or else my steady state will get messed up and it takes time to get back to normal."

zydecmolly (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been attempting to use Luvox for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I have a weak stomach so I haven't made it off the 25mg yet until my body adjusts. I could tell that I was getting better though. I stopped it for a week and my compulsions came back worse than before. I've read some people think they don't have OCD because they don't have compulsions, compulsions are not needed for the diagnosis just obsessions. I am a social worker so it has been difficult to help others with their mental illness when I suffer from OCD and ADHD which I didn't start medication for until recently (I am 28). I am hoping my picking will go away completely once I adjust to the medicine. "

raheelly77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Luvox for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder even though I don't think I have OCD. I think I have anxiety and panic disorder/depression. I have excessive worrying, panic attacks, sleeping problems, ruminations but no compulsions I can think of. However my psychiatrist says I have OCD and put me on Luvox. Immediately my sleep improved and my excessive worrying has been reduced by about 50%. I am so much more relaxed. However I don't seem to really care about anything and its hard to get out of bed and do much even on a low dose (25mg). I feel like I am in slow motion and I'm always tired. My body also feels like I have weights attached to it. I see a new psychiatrist in two weeks."

lisa726 July 3, 2013

"I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder last year and tried Anafranil first but couldn't handle the side effects. My doctor started me on Luvox a little over and month ago and I finally feel like I'm getting my life together. I see my counselor every 2 weeks now instead of once a week and my obsessive thoughts are finally under control. I can enjoy books again and I've been feeling a lot more social. At first I had trouble sleeping; I was waking up every night around 4 AM but that has almost stopped completely now. I was worried about weight gain but I've actually lost weight due to my diminished appetite since starting the medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The day that I'm writing this review, I was switched to Prozac by my doctor. Luvox for around 8 months worked wonders for my OCD. I was basically symptom free during that time with very little anxiety and worry. After the 8-month mark, it slowly started losing its effectiveness. My doctor bumped it from 150mg to 200mg, but that made everything worse. I wasn't falling asleep until 7am, I had no energy during the day, and my OCD symptoms were basically completely back. I was also on Zoloft for around a year, and the same thing happened there. Everybody is different, though. If you have OCD and haven't tried Luvox, give it a try. When everything was going well, I still experienced sexual side effects like low libido and delayed ejaculation."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2013

"Truly a life saver for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. My racing thoughts and compulsions have disappeared. I am on 300/mg. I tried Paxil before - Luvox is much better for OCD. Some minor symptoms such as apathy and fatigue."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2012

"After trying Zoloft and Lexapro, without any success and made my symptoms worse. Luvox helped me getting my life back, the best medicine. I feel MUCH more in control of my OCD. Excellent.. even when I feel sleepy sometimes as a side effect.. its worth it!"

rvrvr (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2012

"Luvox is an amazing medication for me. I couldn't think my own thoughts, all I had were racing, intrusive and obsessive thoughts. My compulsions were out of control too due to inability to control my thoughts. I was off of the med for 3 years and was in a bad way, constant suicidal ideations. I felt like myself again after the first dose, I can control unwanted thoughts and think of things I want or need to and can solve issues. I can usually control my compulsions now. I couldn't socialize either and now I can. 100 mg at night with 15 mg of Buspar. I am so grateful for this medication!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2012