User Reviews for Luvox

Learn more about Luvox.

Luvox review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Luvox to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Review by Mom of odd child (taken for less than 1 month):

Wow finally a conversation with my son that is NOT fishing. 17 yr old son was dropped on his head when he was born by a nurse. He has seen the same neuro since being a baby. We've tried everything. Cocktails of medicines, seizure meds, etc. Nothing helped. It got so bad I was placed on medication for my nerves. His neurologist suggested we try Luvox. I am sitting next to my son, who is playing a game. Calm yet very alert not dragging like other meds did to him. He is able to hold conversations about so many topics and that is a relief even to him.

April 5, 2014 10:13 AM

Review by indie_annika:

So far this is the best medication I've been on for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have obsessive thoughts and ruminating as my compulsion and it was totally debilitating before. I was on mirtazapine for a while but felt emotionless and still had a lot of OCD-"crashes". Switched to Fluvox because mirtazapine made me gain a lot of weight. Finally losing weight now and have a normal appetite again! Obliterates obsessive thoughts and makes me feel really happy, plus I have all my strong emotions back, feeling more "me" again. Frustrating side effect in insomnia (most nights I wake up 2-3 times for 30 mins at least and sleep very restlessly) but the headaches and nausea have both passed, so hopefully this will also pass.

March 17, 2014 4:59 AM

Review by Elisse (taken for 10 years or more):

15 years ago after suffering with severe panic attacks I found a doctor who found the root of my troubles was my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was on Luvox, brand name only because when I tried the generics they did NOT work? During the time it was off market, I suffered terribly until it came back. It keeps my OCD in check to the best it can be BRAND name only, I do not know why.

February 16, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by zydecmolly (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on Luvox for just over a year. I have realized that if I miss a dose or two which I have done at times my symptoms return (racing thoughts, self harm,..awful). It usually takes a week or so to get back on track with taking my medicine on a regular basis again. I love the medicine, but I have noticed I cannot miss a dose or else my steady state will get messed up and it takes time to get back to normal.

October 7, 2013 3:08 PM

Review by raheelly77 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been attempting to use Luvox for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I have a weak stomach so I haven't made it off the 25mg yet until my body adjusts. I could tell that I was getting better though. I stopped it for a week and my compulsions came back worse than before. I've read some people think they don't have OCD because they don't have compulsions, compulsions are not needed for the diagnosis just obsessions. I am a social worker so it has been difficult to help others with their mental illness when I suffer from OCD and ADHD which I didn't start medication for until recently (I am 28). I am hoping my picking will go away completely once I adjust to the medicine.

July 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by lisa726:

I was prescribed Luvox for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder even though I don't think I have OCD. I think I have anxiety and panic disorder/depression. I have excessive worrying, panic attacks, sleeping problems, ruminations but no compulsions I can think of. However my psychiatrist says I have OCD and put me on Luvox. Immediately my sleep improved and my excessive worrying has been reduced by about 50%. I am so much more relaxed. However I don't seem to really care about anything and its hard to get out of bed and do much even on a low dose (25mg). I feel like I am in slow motion and I'm always tired. My body also feels like I have weights attached to it. I see a new psychiatrist in two weeks.

July 3, 2013 4:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder last year and tried Anafranil first but couldn't handle the side effects. My doctor started me on Luvox a little over and month ago and I finally feel like I'm getting my life together. I see my counselor every 2 weeks now instead of once a week and my obsessive thoughts are finally under control. I can enjoy books again and I've been feeling a lot more social. At first I had trouble sleeping; I was waking up every night around 4 AM but that has almost stopped completely now. I was worried about weight gain but I've actually lost weight due to my diminished appetite since starting the medication.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2013 12:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

The day that I'm writing this review, I was switched to Prozac by my doctor. Luvox for around 8 months worked wonders for my OCD. I was basically symptom free during that time with very little anxiety and worry. After the 8-month mark, it slowly started losing its effectiveness. My doctor bumped it from 150mg to 200mg, but that made everything worse. I wasn't falling asleep until 7am, I had no energy during the day, and my OCD symptoms were basically completely back. I was also on Zoloft for around a year, and the same thing happened there. Everybody is different, though. If you have OCD and haven't tried Luvox, give it a try. When everything was going well, I still experienced sexual side effects like low libido and delayed ejaculation.

February 2, 2013 1:26 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Truly a life saver for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. My racing thoughts and compulsions have disappeared. I am on 300/mg. I tried Paxil before - Luvox is much better for OCD. Some minor symptoms such as apathy and fatigue.

December 18, 2012 11:28 PM

Review by rvrvr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After trying Zoloft and Lexapro, without any success and made my symptoms worse. Luvox helped me getting my life back, the best medicine. I feel MUCH more in control of my OCD. Excellent.. even when I feel sleepy sometimes as a side effect.. its worth it!

September 13, 2012 6:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Luvox is an amazing medication for me. I couldn't think my own thoughts, all I had were racing, intrusive and obsessive thoughts. My compulsions were out of control too due to inability to control my thoughts. I was off of the med for 3 years and was in a bad way, constant suicidal ideations. I felt like myself again after the first dose, I can control unwanted thoughts and think of things I want or need to and can solve issues. I can usually control my compulsions now. I couldn't socialize either and now I can. 100 mg at night with 15 mg of Buspar. I am so grateful for this medication!

July 6, 2012 11:08 PM

This medicine has been extremely effective for me. After the 1st dose I could feel a difference. It has also helped with anxiety and depression. There are a few side effects such as night sweats, nausea, vivid dreams. Hopefully they will decrease with time, this is only my 3rd week on it.

February 11, 2011 2:24 PM

Review by OKCgirl:

I have used Luvox for over a year now. Before I was taking Effexor and it made me angry, so I had to switch. I started at 100mg then gradually went to 200mg. At 200mg I found the most relief for my OCD but I didn't want to do anything. I had no motivation to clean my house, do the laundry, even take a shower. I just didn't care. As a mother of 4 that was a huge problem. I gradually decreased my dosage back down to 100mg and have motivation back. I still have the rituals and things that completely drive me up the wall and did have those still at 200mg. I'm thinking about trying a new medication because this one works for a bit, but doesn't give me the relief I need. I have to take Klonopin to calm my brain down at night where I can sleep.

July 8, 2010 10:27 PM

Review by kmaverikaz:

I was diagnosed with OCD 20 years ago and was taking Anafranil for 16 years. It helped with panic and agoraphobia but still has lingering OCD tendencies such as hoarding, impulse shopping and trich(pulling body hairs). An example of hoarding is I am single and would have to maintain at least 30 twelve packs of soda in my home to relieve my anxiety. Luvox has been incredible at eliminating 99% of my OCD symptoms with zero side effects. I take 100 mg in the morning and 200 mg at bedtime. I have also been diagnosed with MDD, GAD, SAD, PTSD. Unfortunately, Luvox has not helped in any of those other areas and have augmented it with Wellbutrin which has actually worsened the above conditions and has created fear and paranoia.

April 3, 2010 9:03 PM

Long time OCD suffer, has relief after 30 years. I now know what resting before bed is. There is one draw back, if I run out of medicine I get sick. Well, the results out way this problem and I do know how to handle it (try not to run out).

July 20, 2009 9:12 PM

Like one of the previous reviewers mentioned, OCD is the underlying cause of many other conditions. I went through several doctors, medicines, and diagnoses before finally discovering my OCD and treating that, versus the other problems and symptoms caused by the OCD. Luvox has been a wonderful help for me. It has virtually eliminated all of my symptoms of OCD. Also, what I like the best about Luvox is that it has completely eliminated my racing and intrusive thoughts. Though people laugh, when asked, I tell people the best effect of Luvox is that it quietens the voices in my head, and I honestly feel like me again. The only drawbacks of Luvox that I have seen are: some trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, and excessive bruising.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2009 4:00 PM

This medicine saved my life. Racing thoughts almost non-existent. When they recur during times of stress, doctor ups dosage and immediately my mind quietens. OCD is underlying cause of many compensatory disorders, including: depression, alcoholism and eating disorder. With the OCD controlled, I have been able to take charge over the others.

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2009 10:35 PM

Review by juneallison:

This drug Luvox has been very good for me.

May 26, 2008 8:55 PM