User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I just started this medication about 5 days ago so far I haven't had any side effects and am going to continue taking as directed I'm on 20mg a day. I have been having severe anxiety due to the loss of a loved one (my brother ) hopefully this medication will work im keeping my fingers crossed will give another comment maybe 2 months into it"

hachet August 29, 2015

"Started having panic attacks last June when I had a medical issue with my eye. My doctor prescribed me celexa. I held onto the prescription for over 6 months as I was terrified of relying on a pill to help me and was scared of side effects. Finally I couldn't take the anxiety anymore and started on 10mg. First few weeks I COULD NOT SLEEP and my anxiety was worse. Had to take sleeping pills. But eventually it got better and now I feel great! It's been 6 months and I've never increased my dosage. I still get anxious once in a while but that is fine with me because I don't want to "not feel anything" like some pills do to you! I know it's not for everyone but I am glad I finally tried it!!"

Anonymous August 24, 2015

"I was prescribed Celexa for anxiety. I had previously tried Prozac, which made things even worse. Celexa (10mg) was great. I felt better, just a bit more evened out, and less anxious. It's definitely not a xanax but it helped me to feel more like myself. However, it also made me gain about 15 pounds in only 3 months. During this time I was exercising, eating healthfully, and still gaining. I eventually weaned myself off it. Weaning myself off was *terrible*. Nausea, inability to concentrate, etc."

bea000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

"Sometimes I think that someone employed by Celexa inc create the responses I read on this site. Most of the positive experiences do not seem likely. Celexa has been a nightmare for me. It makes me so angry. I'm from the big easy and would like to consider myself laidback. I have a very strong belief the reason this medication is prescribed so frequently is so the docs or the powers that be can receive the kick back from by pharmacy. I truly believe that. I'm going on month 4 and currently take 40mgs. I cannot report any positive effects. I can attest to a loss in libido, rashes, depression, weight gain, dry mouth, loss of appetite, aches and I can go on. And the only reason I take it is to obtain the medication that I do get relief from."

Mobraver (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

"I've been taking 10mg of Celexa a day for almost 3 weeks now. The first week i experienced minor side effects, excessive yawning, irregular heartbeat, anxiety and so on. I came around to the medication about 5 days into it and was feeling good, i wasn't anxious about socialising and i wasn't having as many negative thoughts (this lasted a week). But now I'm feeling as though I'm returning to my old self. This might be to early to call as I've only taken 18 days worth of tablets but I'm beginning to think my body has built a tolerance for it already. I'm due an appointment with the doc next week so i will enquire about possibly upping the dosage and will review again once i have. I've never taken antidepressants so trial and error i suppose!"

chambers123 August 13, 2015

"Coming up to the 1 year mark, been on 20mg per day until this week when I've increased to 30mg. Until last few weeks my anxiety has been manageable but now I feel it returning due to some personal issues at home. Compared to how I was this time last year just before I started I am ten times better, but am by no means cured. I've increased my dosage with doctors guidance in order to continue managing my anxiety and depression.I find this medication great in most ways but the side effects are not good. I had severe nausea for the first 3 weeks, night tremors, hot sweats, no appetite. Within 4 weeks these had all gone completely but I've found that I suffer with terrible short term memory, increased hair loss and alcohol affects me much worse."

RatcliffesGirl August 11, 2015

"I have had absolutely no side effects while on this medication. My anxiety is obviously not "cured" but the symptoms are much more manageable and they occur less frequently . My life has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since beginning Celexa. Not only do I feel less anxious most of the time, but my social skills have improved. I'm not afraid to talk to people as much anymore. I know some people believe that antidepressants change who you are, but that is not true. If they do, that is not the drug for you. The right antidepressant is suppose to allow you to be who you are without (as much) anxiety. **IMPORTANT: You do have to be on the look out for drug interactions. There are many antibiotics you shouldn't take while taking Celexa including Cipro.**"

Liv from CA (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2015

"I personally think celexa worked very well for me. I got on it due to a lot of anxiety in college and I started to have panic attacks but then realized it helped with some depression as well. I was very foggy for the first 2 weeks and didn't feel like myself but stuck it out and it worked great for 3 months! I just got bumped up to 20mg because it seems to be wearing off but so far so great! stick with it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015

"I started taking Celexa about 1 1/2 weeks ago, started at 10 mg and upped to 20 three days ago. I had been on Zoloft prior for about 5 years but it stopped working. Was off of it for about 2 months before starting Celexa. Experiencing an increase of anxiety, tiredness and an overall sense of exhaustion. Does it get better, will these side effects go away eventually? My doctor said the increased anxiety is not caused by the meds. Yes I was anxious and needed something but my anxiety is much higher since taking the meds so I don't necessarily believe the doctor 100%. I want to stop taking it but I also want to feel "normal" and no these meds can be very helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

ZoeyP August 3, 2015

"I battled with severe panic attacks and generalized anxiety. It got so bad that I was unable to leave the house. The panic attacks would happen everywhere and would feel dizzy, sweat, have palpitations, and diarrhea. I would eventually run out of the store crying. I turned to my doctor who recommended 20mg of Celexa. After about 5 weeks of pretty harsh side effects such as extreme tiredness, restlessness, and agitation, the panic attacks stopped. Thanks to Celexa, I got my life back and was able to go out again. It was a lifesaver. I've been on it for about two years now, and have started to successfully wean off. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it took a while to kick in and the side effects were pretty severe."

MisoCat July 27, 2015

"Celexa 10 mg for social anxiety, 2 wk of side effects. IT WORKS. I can feel my emotions. (I would walk on glass to get another prescription). Tried Prozac and Zoloft with out success, they made me feel wired. However, everyone body are different. (Hang in there, it's worth the wait.)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015

"June 23, Dr. prescribed 20 mg. of Celexa for social anxiety at work. I was running out of options. Thought I was going to have to stop working after 20 yrs. with the same company. My 15 year teen felt sorry for us. Tried Zoloft at first,made me very tired, more like a (zombie). The Celexa 20 mg. first dose, made me feel wired, scared, paranoid, more anxiety, I could not leave the house. A coworker who have very good success with Celexa recommended me to start with 1/4 mg. of a 10 mg. tablet and increase it when my body and mind work it out.....and it did! About every 5 days, However, the FIRST AND SECOND week I took off work and watch t.v. and went walking. Now I am at 10 mg. in 1 month. Social Anxiety gone,plan to increase to 15 mg."

Anonymous July 25, 2015

"This medication was a magic heal for me. I had suffered from depression and severe anxiety issues for years, being tested with various medications, head shrinkers, etc. my most recent doctor first met with me he instantly suggested this medication. Within four weeks I felt better, at my follow up appointment after eight weeks my doctor could tell the improvement I had made socially. He suggested I increase dose, I've had no side effects from it, and have had decent improvement so far. Turns out he was right and now after 2 weeks increased dose I feel like a different person. I'm not nervous to speak to others, I'm not irritable, shy, or depressed like I was before. For me, this was what I needed. Social anxiety and depression in the past"

Jiff1912 July 23, 2015

"I'm on my third day of Celexa! I have experienced a few side effects such as trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, tightened jaw and grinding my teeth, as well as loss of appetite and feeling as though I might be on cheap MDMA. I do feel as though it is helping with my anxiety because I already feel less stressed and I feel happier than I felt before. I do feel a bit paranoid though, because I read many reviews of people gaining weight so I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible."

Rachel514 June 10, 2015

"I started taking Celexa for anxiety and bad stress. My BP was rising very high and couldn't sleep much. I'm now only on my 7 dose of 10 mg and I feel tired but I'm giving this new med time to work. It took me 6 months to safely get off of xanax my doc put me on after a injury in which caused much stress. My BP is now back to normal and I feel good a little tired but unlike other reviews I've read I don't eat as much and now am losing wt. But yes I also "hopefully just for now" have lost some interest in sex and I'm a male and its harder to climax. Think it will all get better but so far this is a good med for me."

Chrisman June 2, 2015

"For years I thought medications could never help me to deal and solve my problems in life, which they can't. That being said my depression, which I never thought I had, was apparently there. My anxiety levels were high and I seemed to be acting out of my own way of thinking. Relationships were getting strained and friends and family seemed to be exiting my life. Once I talked with my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg first and then 20mg after the first week things changed. Granted it took about 3 weeks before I really started to feel such drastic changes in my thinking and my feelings. I started to feel like my old self again, happy, content, laughing with people and enjoying the person who I know is me!!"

The Sizzla (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

"I went to the doctor because I was too terrified to do any meaningful living, including walking out of my door. I had experienced panic attacks and was under great social stress. The doc started me out on 20 mg/day and the first ten days was horrible in that I could "feel" something at work and - because I was afraid of everything, I was even afraid of this medical rescue -- and that was hard for me. My husband did not approve, he felt I should overcome my problems on my own. I persisted, and within a month I felt a blessed relief. I was still having middle of the night anxiety-rushes but when we increased the dose to 30 mg/day they were gone, too. Nearly a year later, I am grateful every day I have this medication."

Munga -- STICK IT OUT and LIFE WILL GET BETTER May 7, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on celexa for anixety and depression. I took it for the first time last night then woke up at 10am with the worst nausa of my life. i thought i was goingto vomit. I also couldnt stop shaking but i wasnt cold. My whole body also felt like it was on fire and burning. the worst was my feet, hands and ears. My feet was so bad i couldnt feel them. so not taking this med anymore."

lachele (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"This medication is truly a double edge sword. This is only my personal experience with this drug. I liked it but won't be recommending it due to sexual and other side effects. The positive: It works like a dream...as far as mood it will make you extremely mellow and easy going. The negative: It will make you shake-tremors. You will still have somewhat of a sex drive but impossible to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain, stomach cramps, restless and trouble sleeping."

crystal_clear007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"Celexa helped me immensely with my social anxiety. It completely changed my personality for the better. I finally felt confident and stopped having frequent anxiety and panic attacks. The only downside to taking this drug was that it was a bit too good at reducing my anxiety. I gained a total of 80 pounds in the first two years of taking it. I used to be obsessed with my weight, weighing myself multiple times a day and having anxiety attacks over it. Celexa took away my insecurities, but at a major cost to my physical health. I was on Celexa for 7 years and only decided to try something else because I was having difficulty becoming motivated to lose weight, and found that it was not helping me enough with depression."

Ley87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2015

"For many years I had been trying to live with anxiety until it reached a point when I realized I needed help. I often felt stressed and anxious with simple activities like going to the store, and couldn't hold a job or stick with things. Celexa made me happy again, helped me look at life as a glass half full, not empty. Started on 20, noticed some improvement but not complete relief...increased to 40, and then feeling great decided I no longer needed medication. Tapering off, withdrawal symptoms included: dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc...also, anxiety returned full force. I'm back on it, I gave it an 8 because as effective as it is, therapy is an important component to include with treatment. I'll probably stay on this for many years!"

Kayak33 April 25, 2015

"I have been on citalopram for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. The only side effect I had was dizziness the next day after the first dose, but it went away. As of right now, no side effects at all, and I have noticed that I am more independent and more confident than I have ever been. Before this medication I took Paxil, which was horrible. The side effects were the worst and the withdrawal (which I have read about) is bad as well, but I got over it. Before Celexa I would be afraid to talk on the phone and do basic things like calling insurance companies, cable companies, etc. But now I have the confidence to call anyone and the change has been night and day. Highly recommend this medication!"

Saritaaa April 22, 2015

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Starting Celexa was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I had lost myself in a world of anger, darkness, fear, anxiety, panic attacks, and hypochondria. I was not myself. In fact, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. The first month of Celexa (10mg) was hell, to be honest. Side effects included upset stomach, nausea, numbness, weakness, brain "zaps", hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, inability to sleep, the feeling of extreme heat within my body (difficult to explain), and strange awareness of limbs. After a month, I woke up one day" and was myself again. It felt like a weight had been lifted. I was free, happy, courageous, calm, and peaceful. I am about to meet the 1year mark - the serenity remains."

yogini22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2015

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on week three of 10mg celexa. I felt a difference in my mood immediately. My husband too finds I am much calmer. I was a mix bag of anxiety, irritability, anger, sadness, stress, mind racing and exhaustion. I used to snap at every little thing. The mood shifting was not only hard on me but my family as well. I couldn't live like that any more. Although I was prescribed celexa, I did not rush out to buy it I guess because I was ashamed about having to medicate myself. It took me two months to admit it to myself. I now regret not starting it earlier! It has changed me for the better. I am still the same person with the same life problems but I can better handle my problems now. I can think clearly. The negativity is gone."

32y female (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have started on celexa 10mg for severe anxiety I was having ( to the point where I couldn't function and thought I was going to lose my job) I'm only a week in the 10 mg and I already feel a lot better, the anxiety is still there but is manageable. I will be upping to 20 mg this weekend in case it makes me sick. Which brings me to my next advice, if you have a sensitive stomach or was not on any other medication start in a low dose and start on a Friday or Saturday because you will have bad symptoms. I was extremely nauseous, I couldn't sleep and it made me feel really weird for a while. I had to take petbo bismol tablets to make sure I did not throw up the medication and be back to square one. But that has passed and I feel better now!"

Kourt (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015