User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by gourmetv0mit: User Rating:

I'm a 16 year old female. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, anorexia and bulimia about 2 years ago. I attempted suicide 3 times and I really thought there was no hope. Zoloft did nothing for me. It was awful. But then along came Celexa and its awesome. I no longer wake up and feel like I'm drowning and my lungs are going to explode. I can get up out of bed and not hate everything. I can go about my day without worrying about every little thing. I no longer get panic attacks. It's awesome. I have lost weight too. I totally recommend Celexa, best things I've ever tried.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 3:28 PM
Review by JennayJellybeans: User Rating:

This is seriously a miracle medicine! Ever since I went on this, it kicked in within a couple of weeks and after 3 weeks or so, my anxiety has been completely GONE, no more problems at all! I was having problems swallowing food and just swallowing my own saliva in general because of generalized anxiety disorder, every single day, it was hell, but this medicine seriously pulled me out of a dark hole and I've been on it since. Thank you Celexa! I'm so much happier on it.

April 9, 2014 12:09 AM
Review by Sleepymama: User Rating:

Day 2 of Celexa for anxiety. Ended up with headache, panic, dizziness, racing heart and thoughts. My typical anxiety wasn't even as bad as that. Day 1 seemed okay, but after day 2 I'm not happy with it. No more for me thanks!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 2:18 AM
Review by CKay1104: User Rating:

Best anti-anxiety medication for me. At 20mg it perfectly takes the edge off & allows me to focus with clarity at work & at home. I have been on Celexa for 10 years, tried Wellbutrin once thinking it might help with weight loss but it made me feel crazy & irritable, I did not like it at all. My daughter has similar issues as I do & Celexa did not work for her, she's going to try Prozac now. I think it's important to realize that everybody is different as is their chemical make up & what might work great for one may not for another.

March 13, 2014 11:13 PM
Review by M1tch: User Rating:

I took 10 mg for a couple of months and started 20 mg two weeks ago

February 10, 2014 5:27 PM
Review by amdam22 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Im a 20 year old female, been on Celexa for about 4 days now. I was pretty skeptical reading all the reviews and some negative ones really scared me, but I decided to take it anyway. So far I am liking the medicine. Little side effects such as a mild headache that seems to come about 5 min. after I take the pill, drowsiness (which is why I take it at night) and a tiny but of nausea. Nothing to major like I thought. Oh! and also no panic attacks, which is one of the main reasons I started taking this. Celexa has given me a sort of "calm, relaxed" feel. But I also feel more uplifted. I'm not sure the right word. I'm not energetic but I feel energized, which is great. I would recommend trying this if you suffer from frequent panic and worry.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2014 11:09 PM
Review by Eleni217: User Rating:

Been on Celexa for three months. It took a couple weeks to adjust to mild side effects such as heartburn and a general feeling that I'm full or not hungry. However, I no longer have those side effects and I feel great now! I have social anxiety and for the first time in years I feel happy and more confident in social situations. I feel normal and have nearly no negative thoughts any longer.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 5, 2014 4:43 PM
Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Been on Celexa now for a month at 10mg daily. So far so good. I feel a lot better and a lot more relaxed and calm. No panic attacks or anything like that. It's been great. Going to doctor in a couple weeks for follow up appointment. Going to see if I can start on 20mg. I feel that will even work better.

January 30, 2014 12:54 PM
Review by Mimi_h (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was optimistic when starting this medication for uncontrollable anxiety. I have previously tried Lexapro and Zoloft with success and haven't needed any medication for several years. I had a horrible experience with Celexa even at only 10mg. After my first dose I immediately felt bad. I dreaded taking it every night due to the body twitching and anxiety producing effects I felt within 45 min of the dose. Eventually I was having anxiety attacks everyday as well as feeling generally anxious all day. I had to discontinue it after 1 week due to the worst panic attack I've ever had. The withdrawal effects were horrendous, too--flu like.

January 20, 2014 6:30 PM
Review by Bill71 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

First was put on Zoloft. Went off it due to the side effects. Then was put on Celexa. No side effects, and after only a week I feel great. The medicine works.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 9, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by liveloveetc (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been on this medicine for only 3 weeks and my love addiction, my sex addiction have all but practically disappeared. I don't feel as depressed I feel even, grounded and no longer have the feeling that I am separated from myself. My obsessive thoughts have all but disappeared. I was constantly thinking about my ex who broke up with me 9 months ago. I feel finally that I got my life back. I prefer low libido than constantly thinking that every attractive girl I connect with might be my future girlfriend. Celexa works for me, I have been on and off them for years now but now I am sticking to the program. Be patient people and stick to the program.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 5, 2014 11:52 AM
Review by Mrz. Bo$$y (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

For the past few years I think I have suffered from anxiety. Couldn't really put my finger on it until thanksgiving day. Everything was fine until it hit me out of no where. I remember feeling like my future was doomed. I couldn't concentrate, I felt like I wasn't myself. I completely lost it. It was like I was losing grasp of every aspect of my life. I cried and thought I was losing my sanity. It was the scariest thing I had ever experienced. After seeing 2 doctors the medicines they prescribed either didn't help or maybe my anxiety got the best of me but finally my mom made me go to the ER and they gave me Celexa. The side effects where pretty bad but I stuck it out and I must say that almost 3 weeks in I'm feeling back to myself.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 31, 2013 12:45 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on this medication for a week and have never felt better. I have noticed no anxiety and my mind does not race all the time. My spouse has even said that he has noticed a difference with my attitude. I feel like my old self. I have been smiling more and feel relaxed. I take 20 mg per day. The only downfall that I have found with this medication is that it upsets my stomach, so what I have been doing is taking it with my dinner meal and that has seemed to help.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 30, 2013 12:01 PM
Review by Unbelievable Results (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa has changed my life. I have severe panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder and worry about everything. I started the medication and within 24 hours saw results. I don't want to say I had a "I don't care attitude" but I did. Started with breaking the medication in half- 5 mg then after two days went on 10 mg. I am the happiest I have ever been. Smiling, not worried, singing, and back to the normal me. My job is the biggest issue and I can come to work, focus, perform my job and not worry about all the side conversations. This medication has saved me. I hope it lasts a long time. I was afraid of taking anything that would alter me, but this Celexa works. Happy Days are ahead!

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 17, 2013 2:03 PM
Review by smitchler (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

It works great if it works for you but if you have the problem where medication suddenly stops for no apparent reason then you could be in for a nightmare, like I was in for a whole year still going through it but not as bad. It more so numbs you that you don't worry about your physical aspects of anxiety and works great for mood but if it "poops out" on you then be prepared to fight the withdrawals.

December 12, 2013 11:40 PM
Review by Carolina1124: User Rating:

I just started taking Celexa and the only thing I notice are the headaches, which are very unusual for me. Sometimes they are worse than others. Can be distracting at work, but not so bad that I'm willing to through in the towel just yet. Also my stomach as been a little upset too, but again not enough to give up on trying to feel better!

December 11, 2013 8:23 AM
Review by Anonymous1989815 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

For the last 7 months, I have taken 30mg/day. It eased 90% of my anxieties and obsessive thoughts. My family and friends quickly noticed my new, laid back state. I laughed more and cried (a whole lot) less. I have never been so emotionally stable. However, these benefits come at a price. First, I'm extremely tired. Next, my libido is gone. Also, my memory is awful. I constantly forget simple conversations or tasks. Similarly, I now struggle to articulate my thoughts. I often stumble over words and lose my train of thought mid-conversation. Lastly, at times, I feel like an emotionless zombie. For these reasons, I plan to taper off of the medication. I instead hope to learn new coping techniques.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 9, 2013 8:15 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I started this about a week ago and a few days afterwards I slightly felt like a new person. I could enjoy the weekend with my friends without worrying constantly about school or them judging me. Just yesterday the side effects began to kick in and now I feel back to my old self. I'm even moodier and depressed. I don't stress as much though. I fall asleep very early at night (8-9 compared to never being able to sleep) but now I have been waking up around 4 or 5 and not being able to sleep. I have very vivid dreams. I also have been extremely thirsty. My doctor said the side effects will even out. I'm excited for them to just so that I can start living normally again. (female)

December 4, 2013 4:41 PM
Review by nmay77 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Made me suicidal and depressed.

November 22, 2013 8:54 PM
Review by Itiswhatitis: User Rating:

I began Celexa after having a bad experience on Prozac. I did not see immediate results but I did see some improvement. The side effects were terrible! I had extremely vivid dreams that caused me to be very tired and hard to wake. I had decreased sex drive and lots of problems with memory loss.

November 13, 2013 12:33 AM
Review by blonddraider (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sI began having severe panic and anxiety about 6 weeks after being on HRT and I.might add for the past 7 years. I was a wreck crying all the time I mean yes I miss my mom but she has been gone since 1999 an literally cry on a dime all day. I keep having weird mind spells that would b triggered by a familiar smell or sound an though they felt de sha vie ish they weren't just weird an scary thought I was going craZY. Finally went to doctors they did a bunch of test and he told me exactly why my panic disorder and anxieties were getting so bad, I have zero % of estrogen in body. The doct said hrt and hbp meds not primarily used to treat the panic and anxiety they do help control. Put me on 10 celexa and 0.25 x 2 xanax. I feel like a million!!!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 10, 2013 3:36 PM
Review by blonddraider (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I just started the medication 10mg for 14 days then 20mg for 1 month then doctor wants to see me I have been diagnosed with anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, depression, and depersonalization. I have been on the celexa for five days an although the doc told me it would be 3-4 weeks for full effect I smiled today, I don't feel heavy with thought, I feel like I will come back to me I didn't mind wander or get too into my head today. That's a great feeling, I think I'm going to be okay!

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 4, 2013 5:56 PM
Review by Y.J: User Rating:

I was prescribed 20 mg of Lexapro (I split in half) about a year ago and it did make me feel "Zombie Like" for the first couple days of taken it but i got used to it and it did help my anxiety A LOT. I was taken off it cause i was taken off of it about 4 months into taken it cause my insurance wouldn't cover it anymore. Its been about 6 months since I've taken something and my doctor decided to prescribe me 10 mg of Celexa. I took my first dose last night and I was kinda iffy about taking it and was scared for about 1 hour after taking it then I started feeling unscared and more realistic as I do suffer from Depersonilization too. As of right now being my 2nd day on Celexa I can say the side effects aren't as bad as Lexapro were.

October 31, 2013 6:33 PM
Review by IndigoIvy: User Rating:

I have suffered from treatment-resistant generalized anxiety disorder for over 15 years and have tried every treatment in the book (except for Celexa). Nothing worked. Before Celexa I was on Lexapro, which is supposedly the newer, more 'refined' version of Celexa, and felt horrible. About 6 months ago, I decided to switch over to Celexa and have never felt better. I felt a difference right away (within a day or two). I am finally back to my happy, bubbly, chatty self. Other SSRIs that cut my anxiety made me feel 'flat'. Not Celexa. On Celexa I'm still able to feel my emotions-I can laugh and cry (when appropriate)-without feeling overwhelmed by them. I take it in the morning and have so much energy all day. I highly recommend this medication.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 17, 2013 3:07 PM
Review by smmy77 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been prescribed 10 mg and so far have felt ok. I don't feel overly hungry but really thirsty. This is day 4 and I am sleeping really well. This is a first for me I have always dealt with my anxiety on my own without any meds. This time it was so bad I had no choice. I feel relaxed and much more positive about each day.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 17, 2013 10:08 AM