User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Lise71:

This is my 12th day on Citalopram and already I am noticing a difference. I was on Effexor for over a year and it was okay but started getting really anxious and having panics attacks all over again, more frequent, and also really sad a lot, so decided to talk to my doctor about switching. He said "Citalopram is my go-to medicine, and it's a lot cleaner than most." I love reading the positive reviews. It gives me high hopes. The first week I did feel a bit off but I know you just have to wait it out and things will look up. So far so good! Good luck everyone!

August 12, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by HeatherB85:

I'm 29 years old...(Mother of 2 boys) I lost my grandma (who raised me) on June 10th (My birthday). She was my everything. This is the first time I've experienced losing someone this close to me. I've had a very difficult time dealing with is, crying everyday....and it has affected me at work with having less patience for things...anxiety, etc. Which I already had anxiety at night before she ever passed away. I've been on Celexa for 5 days and I haven't cried since then. It has made me feel more calm....more understanding of things. My anxiety has subsided a great deal....the only down side is I'm having a little bit of insomnia which I know is a side effect. I'm optimistic about the future now.

July 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by bentleys mommy (taken for less than 1 month):

Literally one week of medication and I'm feeling great! I was up at 7:00 am this morning, wide awake. For anyone who knows me, that's amazing. I was ready for my day and made it a productive one. Thank you Celexa you have given me my life back.

July 24, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Britt 25 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine is incredible. I had about four months of out of the blue, never had it before in my life terrible panic and anxiety. I was to the point I was throwing up every morning and constantly worrying and thinking about it. I finally went to the Dr. after crying and feeling miserable for days/months. She prescribed me Celexa 10mg to ween on (minimal side effects nauseous and a little more tired than usual, but I take it at night) then a month later I went to 20mg and I'm happy there. Absolutely no more anxiety or panic and I don't feel like an emotionless zombie I feel just like myself. My sex drive is normal just takes a bit longer to get there.

July 23, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started Celexa 10mg beginning of January for stress and anxiety. Went to 20mg in February. This medicine is truly great. I never really had all the side effects. I can truly say I feel 100 percent normal now. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I feel like a normal person again. Probably be on them forever but if I feel great then who cares.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Kbh211 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Was put on 10mg for intense panic attacks, and later moved up to 20mg. This stuff has worked wonderfully! I feel like I'm finally the way I should be - you know how you see other people who are completely relaxed and at peace, and you wonder, "why can't I be like that? Why do I have all this anxiety for no reason?" Well, all of that is gone! It's amazing! I would recommend Celexa to anyone. The only downside is I experienced A LOT of side effects the first month I was on it - increased anxiety, jaw-clenching, headaches, insomnia. But, if you bear down and get yourself through the first month, it's worth it. I finally have my life back!

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Did some yawning in the first week and then my libido started to diminish. After two weeks my yawning went away and was replaced with clarity and a clear mind. The unfortunate downside at 20 mg after two weeks was absolute zero libido, I couldn't have an erection. It's too bad because it's a very effective medicine otherwise. I've switched to Wellbutrin, haven't started it, going through a one-week wash off Celexa.

May 26, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by eileen4226 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Celexa a little over a week ago for Generalized Anxiety, thought to be associated with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D. Doctors are still reluctant to associate moods/stress affecting your stomach and bowels, but I am a firm believer (after living my whole life with anxiety and IBS) that there IS a definite correlation. I am a 26 y/o female. I weigh 110 lbs. I was put on 10 mg and only took a half pill the first 6 days. Then I upped it to a whole pill. The initial 2 days, I had a migraine headache and insomnia at night and a restless/anxious feeling during the day. I would wake up in a panic with racing thoughts. Now it has gotten a bit better, but I don't think I've been on it long enough yet to experience definite anxiety help. Trying to stick with it!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

The first month I was very nauseous and felt foggy after taking the medication. Soon after that nausea went away. I am taking 10mg, this medication is extremely helpful.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by gourmetv0mit:

I'm a 16 year old female. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, anorexia and bulimia about 2 years ago. I attempted suicide 3 times and I really thought there was no hope. Zoloft did nothing for me. It was awful. But then along came Celexa and its awesome. I no longer wake up and feel like I'm drowning and my lungs are going to explode. I can get up out of bed and not hate everything. I can go about my day without worrying about every little thing. I no longer get panic attacks. It's awesome. I have lost weight too. I totally recommend Celexa, best things I've ever tried.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by JennayJellybeans:

This is seriously a miracle medicine! Ever since I went on this, it kicked in within a couple of weeks and after 3 weeks or so, my anxiety has been completely GONE, no more problems at all! I was having problems swallowing food and just swallowing my own saliva in general because of generalized anxiety disorder, every single day, it was hell, but this medicine seriously pulled me out of a dark hole and I've been on it since. Thank you Celexa! I'm so much happier on it.

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Sleepymama:

Day 2 of Celexa for anxiety. Ended up with headache, panic, dizziness, racing heart and thoughts. My typical anxiety wasn't even as bad as that. Day 1 seemed okay, but after day 2 I'm not happy with it. No more for me thanks!

April 3, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by CKay1104:

Best anti-anxiety medication for me. At 20mg it perfectly takes the edge off & allows me to focus with clarity at work & at home. I have been on Celexa for 10 years, tried Wellbutrin once thinking it might help with weight loss but it made me feel crazy & irritable, I did not like it at all. My daughter has similar issues as I do & Celexa did not work for her, she's going to try Prozac now. I think it's important to realize that everybody is different as is their chemical make up & what might work great for one may not for another.

March 13, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by M1tch:

I took 10 mg for a couple of months and started 20 mg two weeks ago

February 10, 2014 5:27 PM

Review by amdam22 (taken for less than 1 month):

Im a 20 year old female, been on Celexa for about 4 days now. I was pretty skeptical reading all the reviews and some negative ones really scared me, but I decided to take it anyway. So far I am liking the medicine. Little side effects such as a mild headache that seems to come about 5 min. after I take the pill, drowsiness (which is why I take it at night) and a tiny but of nausea. Nothing to major like I thought. Oh! and also no panic attacks, which is one of the main reasons I started taking this. Celexa has given me a sort of "calm, relaxed" feel. But I also feel more uplifted. I'm not sure the right word. I'm not energetic but I feel energized, which is great. I would recommend trying this if you suffer from frequent panic and worry.

189 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 11:09 PM

Review by Eleni217:

Been on Celexa for three months. It took a couple weeks to adjust to mild side effects such as heartburn and a general feeling that I'm full or not hungry. However, I no longer have those side effects and I feel great now! I have social anxiety and for the first time in years I feel happy and more confident in social situations. I feel normal and have nearly no negative thoughts any longer.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2014 4:43 PM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been on Celexa now for a month at 10mg daily. So far so good. I feel a lot better and a lot more relaxed and calm. No panic attacks or anything like that. It's been great. Going to doctor in a couple weeks for follow up appointment. Going to see if I can start on 20mg. I feel that will even work better.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by Mimi_h (taken for less than 1 month):

I was optimistic when starting this medication for uncontrollable anxiety. I have previously tried Lexapro and Zoloft with success and haven't needed any medication for several years. I had a horrible experience with Celexa even at only 10mg. After my first dose I immediately felt bad. I dreaded taking it every night due to the body twitching and anxiety producing effects I felt within 45 min of the dose. Eventually I was having anxiety attacks everyday as well as feeling generally anxious all day. I had to discontinue it after 1 week due to the worst panic attack I've ever had. The withdrawal effects were horrendous, too--flu like.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2014 6:30 PM

Review by Bill71 (taken for less than 1 month):

First was put on Zoloft. Went off it due to the side effects. Then was put on Celexa. No side effects, and after only a week I feel great. The medicine works.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by liveloveetc (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on this medicine for only 3 weeks and my love addiction, my sex addiction have all but practically disappeared. I don't feel as depressed I feel even, grounded and no longer have the feeling that I am separated from myself. My obsessive thoughts have all but disappeared. I was constantly thinking about my ex who broke up with me 9 months ago. I feel finally that I got my life back. I prefer low libido than constantly thinking that every attractive girl I connect with might be my future girlfriend. Celexa works for me, I have been on and off them for years now but now I am sticking to the program. Be patient people and stick to the program.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2014 11:52 AM

Review by Mrz. Bo$$y (taken for less than 1 month):

For the past few years I think I have suffered from anxiety. Couldn't really put my finger on it until thanksgiving day. Everything was fine until it hit me out of no where. I remember feeling like my future was doomed. I couldn't concentrate, I felt like I wasn't myself. I completely lost it. It was like I was losing grasp of every aspect of my life. I cried and thought I was losing my sanity. It was the scariest thing I had ever experienced. After seeing 2 doctors the medicines they prescribed either didn't help or maybe my anxiety got the best of me but finally my mom made me go to the ER and they gave me Celexa. The side effects where pretty bad but I stuck it out and I must say that almost 3 weeks in I'm feeling back to myself.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2013 12:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on this medication for a week and have never felt better. I have noticed no anxiety and my mind does not race all the time. My spouse has even said that he has noticed a difference with my attitude. I feel like my old self. I have been smiling more and feel relaxed. I take 20 mg per day. The only downfall that I have found with this medication is that it upsets my stomach, so what I have been doing is taking it with my dinner meal and that has seemed to help.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 12:01 PM

Review by Unbelievable Results (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa has changed my life. I have severe panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder and worry about everything. I started the medication and within 24 hours saw results. I don't want to say I had a "I don't care attitude" but I did. Started with breaking the medication in half- 5 mg then after two days went on 10 mg. I am the happiest I have ever been. Smiling, not worried, singing, and back to the normal me. My job is the biggest issue and I can come to work, focus, perform my job and not worry about all the side conversations. This medication has saved me. I hope it lasts a long time. I was afraid of taking anything that would alter me, but this Celexa works. Happy Days are ahead!

214 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2013 2:03 PM

Review by smitchler (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It works great if it works for you but if you have the problem where medication suddenly stops for no apparent reason then you could be in for a nightmare, like I was in for a whole year still going through it but not as bad. It more so numbs you that you don't worry about your physical aspects of anxiety and works great for mood but if it "poops out" on you then be prepared to fight the withdrawals.

December 12, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by Carolina1124:

I just started taking Celexa and the only thing I notice are the headaches, which are very unusual for me. Sometimes they are worse than others. Can be distracting at work, but not so bad that I'm willing to through in the towel just yet. Also my stomach as been a little upset too, but again not enough to give up on trying to feel better!

December 11, 2013 8:23 AM