User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I woke up.from the absolute craziest dream I've ever had...FREAKING OUT...COULD NOT BREATH, AND THOUGHT I WAS DIEING...I immediately called ppl in my family that have been on antidepressants, and they said just give it time, the side effects will go away...so I continued to take it...today is day 14, I am more nervous and depressed still...I have NO emotion, my head hurts constantly, STILL have no balance...I think my doctor WRONGLY prescribed me something I DIDN'T need, that COMPLETELY ruins with you (when you don't really need it ) I'm severely annoyed...stopping my med tomorrow and flushing the rest of my pills...I'm sooo disgusted"

Lindsay d February 7, 2016

"I've had GAD w severe panic attacks for 16 years. I've been on just about every combo out there. Celexa daily w xanax as needed works for me. 6 yrs ago I was up to 40mg. I was a zombie. No laughing, no crying, emotionless. I told my doc I wanted off completely. I somehow managed for 4 years w only my xanax. Then came a stressful move. Out comes my daily anxiety rearing its ugly head. Went back on just 10mg for 6 mths. Worked great. Now I'm in some seriously stressful times and attacks are daily, debilitating, and exhausting. Went back on 20mg. I try to do everything as naturally as possible, without relying on pills, but I'm not an idiot. Sometimes you just need a bit more. Find the right dose for you and this stuff can work wonders."

KJ12345 February 4, 2016

"I started Celexa after trying many other meds for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I can't begin to say how much I love it. It' truly has given me a life I never knew. I feel so much better and things now roll off instead of driving me insane! Best decision I ever made. Really need to give it a good two months. That's when I really noticed the change."

Tis2016 February 2, 2016

"This medication is definitely not for me. I suffer from social anxiety and panic attacks. I took 10 mg daily for 2 weeks. Although while on this medication, I did not have my panic attacks; I still had social anxiety. I was completely emotionless, couldn't stay sleeping, and never had an orgasm; the total zombie affect. It gave me headaches every morning and jaw pain-I guess a withdrawal side effect. I would not recommend to anyone unless you are coming off of some hard drugs. Every addictive! Severe side effects!"

felt drugged February 1, 2016

"I have been on Celexa since May and was reluctant to start since I had read all sorts of bad reviews on the internet. However, I am so glad I did because it has truly changed my life. I used to stress over everything and I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I feel 100% better. Celexa has allowed me to take control of my emotions, to read situations more clearly and to put things in my life into perspective so that I am not in a constant state of anxiety. I did not experience any side-effects. This drug has allowed me to take back the control of my life and has stopped that constant worried voice that was in my head. I highly recommend it to anyone who has the same issues as myself."

Penny243111111 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

"I used celexa to treat my severe stress triggered anxiety and panic attacks. It was limiting my life to the point I thought I'd have to quit my job. I'd never been on anti anxiety drugs but started on 10mg which is very low. Did not see effects immediately. Things started feeling 'different' before they felt better. My personal side effects were fatigue, restless tossing and turning at night (normally I'm out like a log), night sweats, and weirdly sweaty hands. All of this was WAY better than having anxiety though so I'm not complaining! It relieved some anxiety but didn't really pick up my mood. I'm sensitive to medication and underweight so this might be a unusual experience. I'm switching to Paxil to see if I get better results."

Carolyn,23,F (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"I have a previous traumatic stroke 5 years ago. I have been maintained with blood thinners and 1mg ativan. Recently last month my anxiety and panic attacks are at all time high. They are daily and debilitating.. I fear of dying but have had numerous ER trips and Dr visits that always come back very healthy.. I have only been on celexa for 3 days. Are anyone out there with similar background and positive experiences with this drug. Thanks"

Btoostressed December 31, 2015

"I take celexa 40 mg per day. I am taking it to help with PTSD, from when someone tried to kill me a few years ago. I also have extreme anxiety about small spaces, flying in an airplane and heights. I also have occasional panic attacks. Celexa has worked wonders for the constant anxiety and sadness I was feeling. Celexa has made me feel calm in situations where I would have previously panicked. I feel like my old self most days of the week. I would recommend this medication to anyone with anxiety about certain situations and fears."

Lisa 221122 December 24, 2015

"Hi there can somebody please help me as I've been on citalopram 20mg for 16 days now do feel a little bit better but not there yet. I want to be my self again as I've got no control over my mind feels like I'm going crazy can some body please let me know"

Goodace (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2015

"Celexa has alot of ingredients that you do not need. Lexapro is cleaner more potent form of celexa. Celexa is not ment for anxiety. I am seeing alot of placebo effects on here. I swear alot of these comments are from the celexa company"

Jay de December 14, 2015

"One day out of the blue I started experiencing extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I would wake up in the middle of the night shaking and sweating. I couldn't eat, sleep, or socialize with my friends. I was scared at first but finally decided to try celexa. Initially the side effect sucked. Insomnia, increased anxiety, and a weird fuzzy head feeling. I switched to taking it in the morning and that helped with the insomnia. I also slowly titrated by 5mg up to my recommend dose which lessened the side effects. All in all, I'm very happy with the results. I rarely get anxious anymore. For those of you just getting on to it, give it time."

madi123 December 10, 2015

"I started celexa because I was having outbursts due to anxiety. At first I was afraid to try it, so I took a half dose for the first week. The initial side effects sucked - fuzzy/cloudy brain, was dizzy, couldn't concentrate. I took it at night to sleep thru it until those initial symptoms went away, then back to morning so I can sleep better. After ~3 weeks I did notice a decrease in my anxiety and outbursts. It's been ~2 months now and I have not had any incidents at work, and overall I am much better about dealing with stress. I don't feel weird or different or withdrawn or anything otherwise. I actually thought the meds weren't working until I looked back & realized I hadn't had any more episodes!"

BKitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2015

"I was prescribed 20mg Celexa and 0.5mg of Xanax, first day I took both as directed, slept for an hour and a half and once I woke I had a panic attack for the next hour or so. The next day I took just the Celexa, slept for an hour and a half again, this time the panic attack was much worse, dizzy, felt like getting sick, come close to calling 911. It finally subsided and went to bed only to lay there wide awake, felt out of it all day. Dr said to stop taking it, prescribed Paxil since I've had success with it before."

stein2015 December 2, 2015

"I'm only one week in, and seriously feel better. I'm a mom of two and a lawyer--I've suffered a lot of loss and have been shouldering a lot of stresses. I've always been anxious, but just thought that was who I was. My doctor put me on 10 mg of Celexa. I did have some nausea the first few days and headaches, but other than that nothing. I had so much anxiety about taking the medication, I almost didn't. But one evening my daughter told me that all of the things I worry about turn out fine--and she was right. If you need help, sometimes you can't do it yourself. I exercise, meditate, eat well, sleep well, but I couldn't shake the anxiety. This has helped a ton. I laugh, I feel more relaxed, and I'm gratefully enjoying life again."

littlechickens November 23, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed me celexa ten days ago as I suffer from bad anxiety attacks im also diabetic so she thinks the anxiety is brought on because of my unstable blood sugars ...the attacks were making my life hell also being a mum of three this was just not good ... I'm not sure on how I feel at the moment ???...i sweat so much feel sick and like I'm high on drugs ( such a weird feeling ) but I get a moment in the day where I feel okish and can see hope at the end of the tunnel .. I'm not sure if this means the tablets are working or not ?? I hope they do :))"

bessie89 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2015

"I started getting anxiety attacks and my doctor started me off on 10mg of celexa. The first few days, I noticed I had more anxiety and it made me really sleepy and groggy. After a few more days, I noticed it made me not want to get out of bed and lost almost all appetite. I was forcing myself to eat and ended up losing 9lbs in 10 days. By day 10, I couldn't take it anymore, I knew something wasn't right and celexa was making it worse and making me feel worse. I went to my doctor and she told me to stop right away, that the side effects shouldnt have lasted that long or made me feel depressed. It didn't work for me."

T23br (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

"I (VERY reluctantly) began 10 mg of Celexa (for anxiety) for a week, then 20 mg for the next week, and now I've been on 30 mg for a few weeks now. I had anxiety about taking the anti-anxiety meds! Honestly, the first week was AWFUL. My anxiety was heightened, I couldn't sleep, bad headaches and felt like something was tickling my brain. By the second week, those side effects were gone. My anxiety was resulting in constant physical dizziness, floor "bouncing" (feeling like you're on a boat/elevator when you're just walking around), racing thoughts, sleeping just to avoid it all, etc. My dizziness is mostly disappeared, and usually the floor feels like it should. PLEASE DON'T BE SCARED! It can be a lifesaver."

Steph N (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

"Suicidal thoughts"

wellbirin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2015

"I have tried Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac and Wellbutrin. (Effexor is awful btw-- don't EVER get on it. And Wellbutrin is like taking Adderall.) Celexa is wonderful. I had symptoms of body dysmorphia. It was really controlling me every day. I wasn't depressed, and haven't been for over ten years, but I have always had the anxiety... BAD. Anyway, i had every symptom of body dysmorphia and it was getting worse every day, for a few years. And the constant anxiety including social anxiety ( I wouldn't go to the mall or the grocery store on the weekends bc of crowds) and all of it affected my every day life. Celexa helped calm EVERYTHING. I no longer have the body dysmorphia symptoms, and the social anxiety, paranoia, obsessive thoughts have subsided"

Kyrae October 21, 2015

"I think it doesn't work that well. Also it didn't help my temper & I still have OCD issues ."

stormy699 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

"I started Celexa in college after suffering for more than a year of horrible anxiety. I couldn't sleep, was skipping classes, and totally on edge all of the time. I finally broke down and took the first appointment I could at the clinic on campus. I filled out a bunch of forms and they came back telling me they were putting me on an antidepressant, which I hated the idea of, but hated the idea of feeling like that any longer. The first 2 weeks were horrible. Terrible migraines and increased anxiety, which they gave me xanax for. I stayed on the medication for 3 years with no bad side effects and only a couple dosage raises. I quit because I felt better and honestly wanted to drop the weight again. It really gave me my life back."

HollyJolly89 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2015

"This medication absolutely changed my life for the better.. Stress has always been something that has effected me all of my life, but one day it got the best of me and my anxiety attacks/stress led to depression. Being from a fortunate family, I had never gone through many hardships, so when I had a big struggle in my life I had no idea how to cope. I would sleep hours and strangely for the first time in my life, I did not want to interact with anyone and didn't want to even be active (I grew up playing all sports). Thankfully, I went to my family doctor and got the help I needed. After only 2 weeks on the medication, my overall mood and demeanor has improved dramatically and my anxiety/stress level is immensely lowered. :)"

typeA Nurse (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just started this medication about 5 days ago so far I haven't had any side effects and am going to continue taking as directed I'm on 20mg a day. I have been having severe anxiety due to the loss of a loved one (my brother ) hopefully this medication will work im keeping my fingers crossed will give another comment maybe 2 months into it"

hachet August 29, 2015

"Started having panic attacks last June when I had a medical issue with my eye. My doctor prescribed me celexa. I held onto the prescription for over 6 months as I was terrified of relying on a pill to help me and was scared of side effects. Finally I couldn't take the anxiety anymore and started on 10mg. First few weeks I COULD NOT SLEEP and my anxiety was worse. Had to take sleeping pills. But eventually it got better and now I feel great! It's been 6 months and I've never increased my dosage. I still get anxious once in a while but that is fine with me because I don't want to "not feel anything" like some pills do to you! I know it's not for everyone but I am glad I finally tried it!!"

Anonymous August 24, 2015

"I was prescribed Celexa for anxiety. I had previously tried Prozac, which made things even worse. Celexa (10mg) was great. I felt better, just a bit more evened out, and less anxious. It's definitely not a xanax but it helped me to feel more like myself. However, it also made me gain about 15 pounds in only 3 months. During this time I was exercising, eating healthfully, and still gaining. I eventually weaned myself off it. Weaning myself off was *terrible*. Nausea, inability to concentrate, etc."

bea000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015