Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by cakes232:

I've only been on Celexa for 5 days. I understand that this will not be an entirely accurate review of the medicine, because it takes about 4 weeks to get the full effect, but my experience is worth sharing for those just starting. Reason for being prescribed: -anxiety associated with emotional stress -depression (seasonal) -inability to sleep due to anxiety -panic attacks (only about 5 in a 2 month period) Days 1-2: 10 mg - felt awful. I felt anxious, foggy-headed, weird... Day 3: I was quiet, but full of energy. Some trouble sleeping (woke up in the middle of the night) Day 4: Tired because I didn't sleep well that night. Midday exhaustion. Somewhat antisocial. Still "myself" though. Day 5: General good mood, positive. Productive.

February 2, 2015 5:01 PM

Review by Fizzletots (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It works well for anxiety. Difficult to orgasm, get really sleepy if I drink (esp. Scotch/liquor), but other than that definitely more chill. Sleeping better, chest pain I was having from anxiety has virtually disappeared after 6 weeks on 20mg. Going to keep on it for 6 months then taper & reevaluate. Gained 10lbs and liking carbs more. Seems related to the meds.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2015 7:14 AM

Review by zillafish (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffer from anxiety, OCD, bipolar, and depression. This medication has made me sluggish and slow because of that I have gained weight which has just added to the stress and anxiety. It has done nothing for me. My anxiety is still intruding on my life. My OCD is not being helped because my anxiety is not being dealt with.

January 29, 2015 4:58 AM

Review by Sales guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Absolutely changed my life. Sleeping habits greatly improved. Sudden stress disappeared. Sense of calmness I haven't had in decades returned.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by ronmon06:

I had to start taking Celexa after my mom died 4 years ago and I must say it worked for me. Well my dad died last July and my stress shot out of the roof and my doctor added buspirone and I took it until I felt better and then I quit all my anxiety medicines altogether back in December thinking I got this. Well I had a week long anxiety attack that landed me in the ER. Don't stop taking your medicines just because you feel good. Now I have to start all over again but I will be better now.

January 26, 2015 6:47 AM

Review by grassmunchy (taken for less than 1 month):

I've just started this, I've taken 2 doses and I know it's supposed to take a couple of weeks to start to work, but I can already feel a difference.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 11:51 AM

Review by doggies (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had to quit smoking, and was deep in the throes of everything mental. Called my doctor, and he prescribed Celexa...one-half pill (20 mg). I was furious! Half a pill? They either didn't have any idea what I was dealing with, or didn't care. I griped, but I started that night, with my little `1/2 pill. The next day I didn't even think about a cigarette until I realized I hadn't thought about them! I love Celexa.

January 18, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by Bettsann (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started taking 10mg Celexa the evening of Jan 14, took another one same time next night. Next morning I was miserably sick. Nausea, more wretching than vomiting, weak, headachey, all over sick feeling... This was like (but this time much worse) the reaction I had when I started Prozac. Dr. agreed that my first bad reaction WAS to the Prozac, called yesterday and said I won't take more Celexa. I am done with SSRI's. I am wondering if anyone else has had this same reaction...

January 17, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by Ser85 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on this for a little over a year and all it did was make me gain 30 pounds. I started taking it for anxiety and it helped, but then I became very depressed. It also made me crave carbs..hence the 30 lb weight gain. I'm on Cymbalta now and doing SO much better.

January 12, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by Gkmason:

I really didn't know I had a problem with anxiety until I started this medication for a bout of situational depression (my husband leaving me while I was deployed), and as soon as I started taking it, it was like all of the horrible cloudiness that kept me awake every night, that I dubiously named depression, completely subsided. I had had anxiety all along, and probably my entire life. I have been using Celexa (5mg) on and off for a few years now, when things seem to just spiral out of my control, and it has been wonderful, and worked perfectly every time, immediately, with no side effects. I am beyond thankful.

December 30, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by JudeClint:

I started Celexa in July and within a few weeks those closest to me remarked on the difference how much happier and less angry I seemed. I felt less overwhelmed by stress and felt happier. The change had been subtle from my viewpoint, and it wasn't until after my doctor suggested a change in medicine, I realized how much it helped me. Within days I noticed my irritability had returned and within a couple weeks I felt as if I weren't taking anything at all. I asked my doctor to return me to Celexa. Side effects I've noticed: initial nausea, jittery (especially with the addition of caffeine), vivid dreams, weight loss (15 pounds since July).

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Jillybean1979:

Day 4 of Celexa & WOW my negative thoughts, constant worry & irritation have almost vanished! I'm taking 10mg a day and am amazed at how quickly I feel this medicine working. I have had some bad headaches, dizziness & a little nausea but that's about it & totally worth it for the difference I'm feeling. I feel like life is worth living again. Thank you Celexa!

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by joanmredd:

I have suffered from panic attacks for about 12 years. Because I have a brother who became addicted to xanax and ended up detoxing in a hospital I have been afraid of all medication. After a major scare concerning a health issue I found I could no longer ignore the consequences of the attacks. I have lost 20 lbs in 5 years and am now very underweight. I had no appetite and dreaded meals. I started taking Celexa 3 weeks ago and the change is amazing. I still wake up in the middle of the night and I do have very vivid dreams. However, now when I wake up and do not go into a panic attack. I am eating 3 meals a day. The only side effects I have are headaches and constipation. I would recommend this medicine.

December 18, 2014 1:08 PM

Review by Joey from Loueeezziana:

I got on Celexa about 5 months ago. The reason was stress. I went to the doctor for a routine physical after turning 30. He was going through a checklist of questions and when 'stress' came up I was like absolutely. Just married, new house, new baby, trying to elevate myself in the professional world --- all wonderful stuff but challenging and stressful. He prescribed Celexa to "take the edge off." It did just that. Nothing major, but you can feel it for the first few weeks. You're just a little more chill. It makes it difficult to get angry (i.e. road rage never happens). I took it a few months then I stopped. Didn't notice any side effects from getting off it. Didn't feel it anymore after a few months anyway.

December 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My doctor put me on Celexa when I started having tension headaches from severe stress. The headaches were gone after a week of taking the medication. A week later, I started tripping over my own feet & my pharmacist told me the medication was to blame. My stress was absolutely more manageable, though!

December 7, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by anxiousaf (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Took this for about a year and it was highly effective. Boosted my mood and rid of most my anxiety in just a week of starting it. Only thing was it made me sick at first but I switched to taking it at night and I was fine! I'd recommend Celexa over anything.

December 1, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by kavsp:

I started this medication 2 1/2 years ago it has worked wonders for me. It took my anxiety away. I used to have panic attacks that would last for hours and hours I thought I was loosing my mind. This made me feel normal again I hadn't had an actual anxiety attack in over 2 years. Thank you Celexa.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Ladyflyer7 (taken for less than 1 month):

When my doctor suggested I have anxiety, at first I was hesitant to try Celexa. I had always attributed my symptoms to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, allergies and chronic back and hip pain. I held my prescription for three weeks before deciding to try it. I have been taking 20 mg for 7 days. I have not had to take a muscle relaxer or a strong pain reliever in a week because although I still feel a little discomfort in my back, it's not so bad anymore. Added benefit.

November 16, 2014 8:00 AM

Review by Synchroduv (taken for 10 years or more):

I'm a 40 year old male that has taken Celexa for about 10 years now for aniexty. I take 40mg once a day. It works well to manage my anxiety. With the higher dose I take it can cause nausea for me if taken on an empty stomach. I also get sleepy for an hour or two after taking it so I take it at bed time. The only issue I've had is forgetting to take or running out of this medication. The withdrawl is pretty bad after about 4 days of not taking causing anxiety, dizziness, brain fog, "brain zaps", insomnia and flu like symptoms. Celexa has worked very well for me and would recommend it for treating anxiety. Just don't suddenly stop taking it. You have to slowly ween off.

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 2:01 AM

Review by stressedoutnurse (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was too proud at first to try a medicine, but I'm so glad I did. It changed my life. My stress and anxiety stay managable and no major side effects except minor fatigue.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by primetime22 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking citalopram for 12 days. At first they started me with 10 mg but that didn't affect me at all so I went back to the doctor and they gave me 20 mg. I started to notice that my anxiety was getting worst which was the main reason why I started taking the pill and I also had some stress but I also notice that the hours between 2 to 10 pm my anxiety goes away for some reason. Yesterday was the first night in 2 weeks where I slept the whole night without a nervous feeling and today which is day 12 my anxiety through out the day hasn't really affected me. I actually woke up in the morning without the feeling of going to the hospital....hopefully every day gets better.

October 21, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by all that jazz (taken for less than 1 month):

After holding on to the medication for about 3 weeks I couldn't believe the results after just one day and literally felt the effects hours after I took the medication. I did experience side effects far as the nausea, diarrhea, headache and dizziness but I found out after taking it the second day that it was only because I hadn't eaten before Celexa. I really see the difference I'm no longer stressed and depressed I do feel the difference and it's a really great medication. I was so iffy about taking depression anxiety medication however I'm so glad that I did.

158 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Ella Sue:

Have been taking this for 2 weeks, and the positive effects were immediate for me. I did have some initial side effects such as dry mouth (lasted a few days), and change in bowel movement (getting better ), yawning a lot first 3-5 days, better now. The impact it has had on me has been nothing but GREAT. I had a lot of areas of stress in my life from family to work, and the anxiety made me feel my heart was going to jump out of my chest! Now, those little things don't worry me, and I've been able to let go of personal struggles that were holding me down, including a broken heart! This has let me be myself again, and most of all to enjoy life again!!

270 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by New woman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication has changed my life. I am bipolar so I take it with my Trileptal (mood stabilizer). I've been searching for the right medicine combination for 10 years and I've never felt better. I started Celexa 6 weeks ago and It took about a month to feel it working. I had headaches and stomach problems but all that has subsided. I am free from the debilitating anxiety I've dealt with my entire life. I feel a sense of hope and happiness I never thought possible for me. I recommend this to anyone who struggles with anxiety, obsessive thoughts, low energy, stress sensitive or depressed. It's truly been a God send.

228 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 2:20 AM

Review by bill71:

I have been on Celexa since January of this year and the medicine has been awesome. Stress, anxiety and panic attack free. Celexa gave me my life back. I was scared to take it at first because of all the stuff I read on the Internet. My advice to anyone starting any SSRI is not to read all the horror stories on the internet. It will just make it worse, believe me. All I can say is I never want to go back to the way it was. That being said if I have to take Celexa the rest of my life so be it.

300 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 1:17 PM