User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I'm on my third day of Celexa! I have experienced a few side effects such as trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, tightened jaw and grinding my teeth, as well as loss of appetite and feeling as though I might be on cheap MDMA. I do feel as though it is helping with my anxiety because I already feel less stressed and I feel happier than I felt before. I do feel a bit paranoid though, because I read many reviews of people gaining weight so I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible."

Rachel514 June 10, 2015

"I started taking Celexa for anxiety and bad stress. My BP was rising very high and couldn't sleep much. I'm now only on my 7 dose of 10 mg and I feel tired but I'm giving this new med time to work. It took me 6 months to safely get off of xanax my doc put me on after a injury in which caused much stress. My BP is now back to normal and I feel good a little tired but unlike other reviews I've read I don't eat as much and now am losing wt. But yes I also "hopefully just for now" have lost some interest in sex and I'm a male and its harder to climax. Think it will all get better but so far this is a good med for me."

Chrisman June 2, 2015

"For years I thought medications could never help me to deal and solve my problems in life, which they can't. That being said my depression, which I never thought I had, was apparently there. My anxiety levels were high and I seemed to be acting out of my own way of thinking. Relationships were getting strained and friends and family seemed to be exiting my life. Once I talked with my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg first and then 20mg after the first week things changed. Granted it took about 3 weeks before I really started to feel such drastic changes in my thinking and my feelings. I started to feel like my old self again, happy, content, laughing with people and enjoying the person who I know is me!!"

The Sizzla (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

"I went to the doctor because I was too terrified to do any meaningful living, including walking out of my door. I had experienced panic attacks and was under great social stress. The doc started me out on 20 mg/day and the first ten days was horrible in that I could "feel" something at work and - because I was afraid of everything, I was even afraid of this medical rescue -- and that was hard for me. My husband did not approve, he felt I should overcome my problems on my own. I persisted, and within a month I felt a blessed relief. I was still having middle of the night anxiety-rushes but when we increased the dose to 30 mg/day they were gone, too. Nearly a year later, I am grateful every day I have this medication."

Munga -- STICK IT OUT and LIFE WILL GET BETTER May 7, 2015

"I was put on celexa for anixety and depression. I took it for the first time last night then woke up at 10am with the worst nausa of my life. i thought i was goingto vomit. I also couldnt stop shaking but i wasnt cold. My whole body also felt like it was on fire and burning. the worst was my feet, hands and ears. My feet was so bad i couldnt feel them. so not taking this med anymore."

lachele (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"This medication is truly a double edge sword. This is only my personal experience with this drug. I liked it but won't be recommending it due to sexual and other side effects. The positive: It works like a dream...as far as mood it will make you extremely mellow and easy going. The negative: It will make you shake-tremors. You will still have somewhat of a sex drive but impossible to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain, stomach cramps, restless and trouble sleeping."

crystal_clear007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"Celexa helped me immensely with my social anxiety. It completely changed my personality for the better. I finally felt confident and stopped having frequent anxiety and panic attacks. The only downside to taking this drug was that it was a bit too good at reducing my anxiety. I gained a total of 80 pounds in the first two years of taking it. I used to be obsessed with my weight, weighing myself multiple times a day and having anxiety attacks over it. Celexa took away my insecurities, but at a major cost to my physical health. I was on Celexa for 7 years and only decided to try something else because I was having difficulty becoming motivated to lose weight, and found that it was not helping me enough with depression."

Ley87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2015

"For many years I had been trying to live with anxiety until it reached a point when I realized I needed help. I often felt stressed and anxious with simple activities like going to the store, and couldn't hold a job or stick with things. Celexa made me happy again, helped me look at life as a glass half full, not empty. Started on 20, noticed some improvement but not complete relief...increased to 40, and then feeling great decided I no longer needed medication. Tapering off, withdrawal symptoms included: dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc...also, anxiety returned full force. I'm back on it, I gave it an 8 because as effective as it is, therapy is an important component to include with treatment. I'll probably stay on this for many years!"

Kayak33 April 25, 2015

"I have been on citalopram for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. The only side effect I had was dizziness the next day after the first dose, but it went away. As of right now, no side effects at all, and I have noticed that I am more independent and more confident than I have ever been. Before this medication I took Paxil, which was horrible. The side effects were the worst and the withdrawal (which I have read about) is bad as well, but I got over it. Before Celexa I would be afraid to talk on the phone and do basic things like calling insurance companies, cable companies, etc. But now I have the confidence to call anyone and the change has been night and day. Highly recommend this medication!"

Saritaaa April 22, 2015

"Starting Celexa was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I had lost myself in a world of anger, darkness, fear, anxiety, panic attacks, and hypochondria. I was not myself. In fact, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. The first month of Celexa (10mg) was hell, to be honest. Side effects included upset stomach, nausea, numbness, weakness, brain "zaps", hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, inability to sleep, the feeling of extreme heat within my body (difficult to explain), and strange awareness of limbs. After a month, I woke up one day" and was myself again. It felt like a weight had been lifted. I was free, happy, courageous, calm, and peaceful. I am about to meet the 1year mark - the serenity remains."

yogini22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on week three of 10mg celexa. I felt a difference in my mood immediately. My husband too finds I am much calmer. I was a mix bag of anxiety, irritability, anger, sadness, stress, mind racing and exhaustion. I used to snap at every little thing. The mood shifting was not only hard on me but my family as well. I couldn't live like that any more. Although I was prescribed celexa, I did not rush out to buy it I guess because I was ashamed about having to medicate myself. It took me two months to admit it to myself. I now regret not starting it earlier! It has changed me for the better. I am still the same person with the same life problems but I can better handle my problems now. I can think clearly. The negativity is gone."

32y female (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

"I have started on celexa 10mg for severe anxiety I was having ( to the point where I couldn't function and thought I was going to lose my job) I'm only a week in the 10 mg and I already feel a lot better, the anxiety is still there but is manageable. I will be upping to 20 mg this weekend in case it makes me sick. Which brings me to my next advice, if you have a sensitive stomach or was not on any other medication start in a low dose and start on a Friday or Saturday because you will have bad symptoms. I was extremely nauseous, I couldn't sleep and it made me feel really weird for a while. I had to take petbo bismol tablets to make sure I did not throw up the medication and be back to square one. But that has passed and I feel better now!"

Kourt (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015

"Celexa gave me my life back! I was going through a hard time and slowly but surely hit a wall with depression and anxiety and wasn't able to handle it. I wasn't sleeping or even able to eat, I felt alone and so far from myself. I'd never been on an antidepressant before so Celexa was the first and I had looked up all the side effects and was really scared to take it. Don't let the side effects or horror stories fool you. This medicine does help, it takes time to see the results but it does help."

jlskpk March 5, 2015

"DO NOT STOP taking this because you feel better. Husband been on this three years felt better stopped taking and passed out on the kitchen floor ended up in hospital did not remember not taking this so after a crap load of test and thousands of dollars it came down to the fact he stopped taking celexa and was detoxing to not try this scared the crap out of both of us. I thought I was going to have. To commit him to a mental hospital"

TheUndertakerswife (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2015

"First 10 days were brutal. STICK THEM OUT! Lots of people seem to have an initial period of getting used to this drug. My first 10 days I was unable to eat, nausea, anxiety increased to a point I was barely able to leave the house, crying for no reason. Just stick it out. Day 10 through about 6 weeks I noticed not much improvement. At about 6 weeks I noticed improvement in my anxiety, able to function much better. My anxiety disorder has only improved more and more since I've been on this drug (also seeing a therapist for anxiety). Just know there may be an initial period of terrible side effects. I've gained like 2 lbs, but it's due to being happier & having a new boyfriend because I am finally able to function as a normal person."

Stick It Out February 25, 2015

"I've only been on Celexa for 5 days. I understand that this will not be an entirely accurate review of the medicine, because it takes about 4 weeks to get the full effect, but my experience is worth sharing for those just starting. Reason for being prescribed: -anxiety associated with emotional stress -depression (seasonal) -inability to sleep due to anxiety -panic attacks (only about 5 in a 2 month period) Days 1-2: 10 mg - felt awful. I felt anxious, foggy-headed, weird... Day 3: I was quiet, but full of energy. Some trouble sleeping (woke up in the middle of the night) Day 4: Tired because I didn't sleep well that night. Midday exhaustion. Somewhat antisocial. Still "myself" though. Day 5: General good mood, positive. Productive. "

cakes232 February 2, 2015

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works well for anxiety. Difficult to orgasm, get really sleepy if I drink (esp. Scotch/liquor), but other than that definitely more chill. Sleeping better, chest pain I was having from anxiety has virtually disappeared after 6 weeks on 20mg. Going to keep on it for 6 months then taper & reevaluate. Gained 10lbs and liking carbs more. Seems related to the meds."

Fizzletots (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I suffer from anxiety, OCD, bipolar, and depression. This medication has made me sluggish and slow because of that I have gained weight which has just added to the stress and anxiety. It has done nothing for me. My anxiety is still intruding on my life. My OCD is not being helped because my anxiety is not being dealt with."

zillafish (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2015

"Absolutely changed my life. Sleeping habits greatly improved. Sudden stress disappeared. Sense of calmness I haven't had in decades returned."

Sales guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2015

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had to start taking Celexa after my mom died 4 years ago and I must say it worked for me. Well my dad died last July and my stress shot out of the roof and my doctor added buspirone and I took it until I felt better and then I quit all my anxiety medicines altogether back in December thinking I got this. Well I had a week long anxiety attack that landed me in the ER. Don't stop taking your medicines just because you feel good. Now I have to start all over again but I will be better now."

ronmon06 January 26, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've just started this, I've taken 2 doses and I know it's supposed to take a couple of weeks to start to work, but I can already feel a difference."

grassmunchy (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had to quit smoking, and was deep in the throes of everything mental. Called my doctor, and he prescribed Celexa...one-half pill (20 mg). I was furious! Half a pill? They either didn't have any idea what I was dealing with, or didn't care. I griped, but I started that night, with my little `1/2 pill. The next day I didn't even think about a cigarette until I realized I hadn't thought about them! I love Celexa."

doggies (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just started taking 10mg Celexa the evening of Jan 14, took another one same time next night. Next morning I was miserably sick. Nausea, more wretching than vomiting, weak, headachey, all over sick feeling... This was like (but this time much worse) the reaction I had when I started Prozac. Dr. agreed that my first bad reaction WAS to the Prozac, called yesterday and said I won't take more Celexa. I am done with SSRI's. I am wondering if anyone else has had this same reaction..."

Bettsann (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2015

"I was on this for a little over a year and all it did was make me gain 30 pounds. I started taking it for anxiety and it helped, but then I became very depressed. It also made me crave carbs..hence the 30 lb weight gain. I'm on Cymbalta now and doing SO much better."

Ser85 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2015

"I really didn't know I had a problem with anxiety until I started this medication for a bout of situational depression (my husband leaving me while I was deployed), and as soon as I started taking it, it was like all of the horrible cloudiness that kept me awake every night, that I dubiously named depression, completely subsided. I had had anxiety all along, and probably my entire life. I have been using Celexa (5mg) on and off for a few years now, when things seem to just spiral out of my control, and it has been wonderful, and worked perfectly every time, immediately, with no side effects. I am beyond thankful."

Gkmason December 30, 2014