User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My doctor put me on Celexa when I started having tension headaches from severe stress. The headaches were gone after a week of taking the medication. A week later, I started tripping over my own feet & my pharmacist told me the medication was to blame. My stress was absolutely more manageable, though!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by kavsp:

I started this medication 2 1/2 years ago it has worked wonders for me. It took my anxiety away. I used to have panic attacks that would last for hours and hours I thought I was loosing my mind. This made me feel normal again I hadn't had an actual anxiety attack in over 2 years. Thank you Celexa.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Ladyflyer7 (taken for less than 1 month):

When my doctor suggested I have anxiety, at first I was hesitant to try Celexa. I had always attributed my symptoms to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, allergies and chronic back and hip pain. I held my prescription for three weeks before deciding to try it. I have been taking 20 mg for 7 days. I have not had to take a muscle relaxer or a strong pain reliever in a week because although I still feel a little discomfort in my back, it's not so bad anymore. Added benefit.

November 16, 2014 8:00 AM

Review by Synchroduv (taken for 10 years or more):

I'm a 40 year old male that has taken Celexa for about 10 years now for aniexty. I take 40mg once a day. It works well to manage my anxiety. With the higher dose I take it can cause nausea for me if taken on an empty stomach. I also get sleepy for an hour or two after taking it so I take it at bed time. The only issue I've had is forgetting to take or running out of this medication. The withdrawl is pretty bad after about 4 days of not taking causing anxiety, dizziness, brain fog, "brain zaps", insomnia and flu like symptoms. Celexa has worked very well for me and would recommend it for treating anxiety. Just don't suddenly stop taking it. You have to slowly ween off.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 2:01 AM

Review by stressedoutnurse (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was too proud at first to try a medicine, but I'm so glad I did. It changed my life. My stress and anxiety stay managable and no major side effects except minor fatigue.

October 29, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by primetime22 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking citalopram for 12 days. At first they started me with 10 mg but that didn't affect me at all so I went back to the doctor and they gave me 20 mg. I started to notice that my anxiety was getting worst which was the main reason why I started taking the pill and I also had some stress but I also notice that the hours between 2 to 10 pm my anxiety goes away for some reason. Yesterday was the first night in 2 weeks where I slept the whole night without a nervous feeling and today which is day 12 my anxiety through out the day hasn't really affected me. I actually woke up in the morning without the feeling of going to the hospital....hopefully every day gets better.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by all that jazz (taken for less than 1 month):

After holding on to the medication for about 3 weeks I couldn't believe the results after just one day and literally felt the effects hours after I took the medication. I did experience side effects far as the nausea, diarrhea, headache and dizziness but I found out after taking it the second day that it was only because I hadn't eaten before Celexa. I really see the difference I'm no longer stressed and depressed I do feel the difference and it's a really great medication. I was so iffy about taking depression anxiety medication however I'm so glad that I did.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Ella Sue:

Have been taking this for 2 weeks, and the positive effects were immediate for me. I did have some initial side effects such as dry mouth (lasted a few days), and change in bowel movement (getting better ), yawning a lot first 3-5 days, better now. The impact it has had on me has been nothing but GREAT. I had a lot of areas of stress in my life from family to work, and the anxiety made me feel my heart was going to jump out of my chest! Now, those little things don't worry me, and I've been able to let go of personal struggles that were holding me down, including a broken heart! This has let me be myself again, and most of all to enjoy life again!!

205 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by New woman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication has changed my life. I am bipolar so I take it with my Trileptal (mood stabilizer). I've been searching for the right medicine combination for 10 years and I've never felt better. I started Celexa 6 weeks ago and It took about a month to feel it working. I had headaches and stomach problems but all that has subsided. I am free from the debilitating anxiety I've dealt with my entire life. I feel a sense of hope and happiness I never thought possible for me. I recommend this to anyone who struggles with anxiety, obsessive thoughts, low energy, stress sensitive or depressed. It's truly been a God send.

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 2:20 AM

Review by bill71:

I have been on Celexa since January of this year and the medicine has been awesome. Stress, anxiety and panic attack free. Celexa gave me my life back. I was scared to take it at first because of all the stuff I read on the Internet. My advice to anyone starting any SSRI is not to read all the horror stories on the internet. It will just make it worse, believe me. All I can say is I never want to go back to the way it was. That being said if I have to take Celexa the rest of my life so be it.

212 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by tacjam:

AMAZING.....after 1 week I could sleep, all panic attacks, seating, fear of dying, heart racing stopped. Have never been better.

213 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by psugirl2030:

I have had anxiety for over ten years. 2 years ago I started having severe panic attacks and anxiety. I tried Luvox, Prozac, and now I am taking Celexa. The first did not do much for me and the Prozac made me feel like I was out of my body and gave me really bad side effects. Celexa is amazing I am taking 20mg 2x daily. Highly recommend!

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by billabcdefg246 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given 10mg and a week later he went up to 20mg. So far I have had constant yawning, sweating attacks, nausea and now diarrhea. I also have problems sleeping at night and this made me tired in afternoon, but I now split dose, 1 before bed and one when I get up...that has helped the symptoms and they are less bothersome now. The sweating is the worst, I ordered Odaban and it is wonderful! You can even apply it to your face and head and that is where I sweat. I have not have any more feelings of doom and gloom and excessive worrying. I feel like I am getting back to normal but it's been 2 weeks and I'm not there yet. So I guess so far so good.

September 2, 2014 11:56 PM

Review by cdmf:

I'm a 25 year old female and my doctor prescribed Celexa to help me manage my anxiety. I've been on it just shy of 3 months. I started with 10 mg and increased to 20 mg after about 2 weeks. My initial side effects were dry mouth, decreased appetite, sleepiness and low libido. The first few nights I was on Celexa I also found myself suddenly waking up in the middle of the night in a panic. This also happened after my dose was increased. After almost 3 months on Celexa, all the side effects have disappeared, except my sex drive is completely non-existent. Overall I feel very relaxed and my anxiety symptoms have significantly decreased.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by Lise71:

This is my 12th day on Citalopram and already I am noticing a difference. I was on Effexor for over a year and it was okay but started getting really anxious and having panics attacks all over again, more frequent, and also really sad a lot, so decided to talk to my doctor about switching. He said "Citalopram is my go-to medicine, and it's a lot cleaner than most." I love reading the positive reviews. It gives me high hopes. The first week I did feel a bit off but I know you just have to wait it out and things will look up. So far so good! Good luck everyone!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by HeatherB85:

I'm 29 years old...(Mother of 2 boys) I lost my grandma (who raised me) on June 10th (My birthday). She was my everything. This is the first time I've experienced losing someone this close to me. I've had a very difficult time dealing with is, crying everyday....and it has affected me at work with having less patience for things...anxiety, etc. Which I already had anxiety at night before she ever passed away. I've been on Celexa for 5 days and I haven't cried since then. It has made me feel more calm....more understanding of things. My anxiety has subsided a great deal....the only down side is I'm having a little bit of insomnia which I know is a side effect. I'm optimistic about the future now.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by bentleys mommy (taken for less than 1 month):

Literally one week of medication and I'm feeling great! I was up at 7:00 am this morning, wide awake. For anyone who knows me, that's amazing. I was ready for my day and made it a productive one. Thank you Celexa you have given me my life back.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Britt 25 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine is incredible. I had about four months of out of the blue, never had it before in my life terrible panic and anxiety. I was to the point I was throwing up every morning and constantly worrying and thinking about it. I finally went to the Dr. after crying and feeling miserable for days/months. She prescribed me Celexa 10mg to ween on (minimal side effects nauseous and a little more tired than usual, but I take it at night) then a month later I went to 20mg and I'm happy there. Absolutely no more anxiety or panic and I don't feel like an emotionless zombie I feel just like myself. My sex drive is normal just takes a bit longer to get there.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started Celexa 10mg beginning of January for stress and anxiety. Went to 20mg in February. This medicine is truly great. I never really had all the side effects. I can truly say I feel 100 percent normal now. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I feel like a normal person again. Probably be on them forever but if I feel great then who cares.

191 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Kbh211 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Was put on 10mg for intense panic attacks, and later moved up to 20mg. This stuff has worked wonderfully! I feel like I'm finally the way I should be - you know how you see other people who are completely relaxed and at peace, and you wonder, "why can't I be like that? Why do I have all this anxiety for no reason?" Well, all of that is gone! It's amazing! I would recommend Celexa to anyone. The only downside is I experienced A LOT of side effects the first month I was on it - increased anxiety, jaw-clenching, headaches, insomnia. But, if you bear down and get yourself through the first month, it's worth it. I finally have my life back!

206 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Did some yawning in the first week and then my libido started to diminish. After two weeks my yawning went away and was replaced with clarity and a clear mind. The unfortunate downside at 20 mg after two weeks was absolute zero libido, I couldn't have an erection. It's too bad because it's a very effective medicine otherwise. I've switched to Wellbutrin, haven't started it, going through a one-week wash off Celexa.

May 26, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by eileen4226 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Celexa a little over a week ago for Generalized Anxiety, thought to be associated with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D. Doctors are still reluctant to associate moods/stress affecting your stomach and bowels, but I am a firm believer (after living my whole life with anxiety and IBS) that there IS a definite correlation. I am a 26 y/o female. I weigh 110 lbs. I was put on 10 mg and only took a half pill the first 6 days. Then I upped it to a whole pill. The initial 2 days, I had a migraine headache and insomnia at night and a restless/anxious feeling during the day. I would wake up in a panic with racing thoughts. Now it has gotten a bit better, but I don't think I've been on it long enough yet to experience definite anxiety help. Trying to stick with it!

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

The first month I was very nauseous and felt foggy after taking the medication. Soon after that nausea went away. I am taking 10mg, this medication is extremely helpful.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by gourmetv0mit:

I'm a 16 year old female. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, anorexia and bulimia about 2 years ago. I attempted suicide 3 times and I really thought there was no hope. Zoloft did nothing for me. It was awful. But then along came Celexa and its awesome. I no longer wake up and feel like I'm drowning and my lungs are going to explode. I can get up out of bed and not hate everything. I can go about my day without worrying about every little thing. I no longer get panic attacks. It's awesome. I have lost weight too. I totally recommend Celexa, best things I've ever tried.

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by JennayJellybeans:

This is seriously a miracle medicine! Ever since I went on this, it kicked in within a couple of weeks and after 3 weeks or so, my anxiety has been completely GONE, no more problems at all! I was having problems swallowing food and just swallowing my own saliva in general because of generalized anxiety disorder, every single day, it was hell, but this medicine seriously pulled me out of a dark hole and I've been on it since. Thank you Celexa! I'm so much happier on it.

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 12:09 AM