User Reviews for Celexa

Learn more about Celexa.

Celexa Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Celexa to treat Anxiety and Stress

"To deal with menopausal symptoms: stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia, I tried paxil and prozac. Not a good result: both very heavy duty - you FEEL drugged. With prozac I was drooling and I didn't even know it; with paxil, I felt dull-witted and thick, like a beached whale. But the 3rd time was a charm: I tried Celexa and it worked almost immediately. I felt calmer, not depressed and I slept like a baby. For me it's the best. the only side effect is one 1/2 hour after taking it I feel nauseous for a few minutes. small price to pay."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2016

"Weight loss, insomnia, nausea, loss of appetite. EXTREMELY irritable. Sweaty palms. NO THANK YOU."

Anonymous April 21, 2016

"It has saved my sanity and kept me at peace at first I was sick and had a mild headache now I'm eating way too much. I'm terrified if I stop taking this I'm thankful for celexa,"

Julie2467 April 10, 2016

"Trust and believe that celexa WAS a godsend for me, 50"

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"Awful. Didn't help and made me feel so apathetic. My school performance significantly decresed. I tried weaning off from taking 20 mg, then 10mg daily, then 10mg every other day, then 5mg every other day and had the worst withdrawl symptoms ever. Increased anxiety and depression. I was crying all the time and sometime felt manic. I had more pain and also had a fever of +102.8 for three days. Would not recomend"

anxietyridden1280437 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

"I have been on celexa for two days now and have had almost no side effects what so ever . I was super hesitant about taking it as both the reviews I read and the doctor who gave it to me told me it would cause bad anxiety for the first week. I was pleasantly surprised when I took my first 20mg dose, as it helped my anxiety almost immediately . I have a bit of nausea and fatigue , along with a bit of dizziness but nothing serious . This is the first time I have gone a day without anxiety in three years, and I know it's not a placebo effect since I initially believed the medication would do the opposite . My sister suffers from depression and after seeing my reaction to the medication is considering seeing a doctor to try it out ."

Mamabearie March 21, 2016

"Started on prozac 20mg but went off because of low libido. Doctor had me try Celexa 20mg & it was the worst month of my life. So many side effects! Not only did my libido get worse, but I had frequent urination, depression worsened, sleeping pattern messed up, fatigue, always sweating, and it made my period disappear for 3 months & I wasn't pregnant! After a month I went back to Prozac, I couldn't deal with celexas horrible side effects anymore!"

Sunchild00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

"I have been on a few antidepressants Prozac, Zoloft. Celexa has turned out to be the best as far as side effects. I've been on it 8 years. Just a precaution after a while it will feel like it doesn't do much, I started to skip forget and found myself in a emotional, irritable, angry, sad mood. I'm back on it makes a huge difference."

KING1999 March 9, 2016

"I have been on Celexa for almost 2 years & has completely changed my life for the better. I take 40mg once a day. I suffer from severe anxiety, & mild depression. Celexa is my happy pill. My savior. It's the best pill I have ever been on. I am anxiety & depression free all from Celexa. Never once had one side effect. I am full of energy all the time and am happy beyond happy. It took about a good 2 months for the medication to start doing its job. WELL WORTH THE WAIT. I thank my doctor all the time for introducing me to the wonder drug CELEXA. Give it some time to kick in & you'll thank me later. Lol good luck to all."

Anonymous March 5, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on 10 mg for five days. First day I had the shakes n cold n hot , second day I was lil better the shakes stop but didn't eat much , third day I ate two meals n moved around n threw up that night , fourth day I ate like no other but had diarrhea , fifth day lil out of it , yawning a lot yes , sometimes it hard to sleep then others , heart rate lil high at times too but I'm I hope I'll be OK I'm only 5 foot n weighs 109 pounds I dont do well with meds."

Lilshorty88 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

"Really have to give it time! I was stuck in a constant state of anxiety and this plus the combination of klonopin has really given my life back. I strongly encourage help if you need it, anxiety is very real and very scary but there is help available! I am unique that I take 30mg daily but it seems like the right dose for me. To really see effects of this medication you must find the correct dose and give anywhere from 4-8 weeks for full effects. There is hope for anyone out there."

kly78 February 24, 2016

"I used Celexa and it was rough. I then went and looked at all the side effects and realized that THE ANXIETY IT WAS TREATING WAS ALSO A SIDE EFFECT. I then in a last ditch effort went to a chiropractor and he changed my life. He explained HOW CHIROPRACTIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NECK AND BACK PAIN. He explained that stress is necessary to live and is a good thing! Our issue with stress is that our body isn't adapting properly to the stress. Chiropractors help our nervous system flow properly so we don't need drugs by removing subluxations. (A subluxation is an interference in the brain body connection) If there is something you could do so you wouldn't have to deal with stress, would you? See a subluxation based chiropractor!"

ImBlue February 17, 2016

"I woke up.from the absolute craziest dream I've ever had...FREAKING OUT...COULD NOT BREATH, AND THOUGHT I WAS DIEING...I immediately called ppl in my family that have been on antidepressants, and they said just give it time, the side effects will go away...so I continued to take it...today is day 14, I am more nervous and depressed still...I have NO emotion, my head hurts constantly, STILL have no balance...I think my doctor WRONGLY prescribed me something I DIDN'T need, that COMPLETELY ruins with you (when you don't really need it ) I'm severely annoyed...stopping my med tomorrow and flushing the rest of my pills...I'm sooo disgusted"

Lindsay d February 7, 2016

"I've had GAD w severe panic attacks for 16 years. I've been on just about every combo out there. Celexa daily w xanax as needed works for me. 6 yrs ago I was up to 40mg. I was a zombie. No laughing, no crying, emotionless. I told my doc I wanted off completely. I somehow managed for 4 years w only my xanax. Then came a stressful move. Out comes my daily anxiety rearing its ugly head. Went back on just 10mg for 6 mths. Worked great. Now I'm in some seriously stressful times and attacks are daily, debilitating, and exhausting. Went back on 20mg. I try to do everything as naturally as possible, without relying on pills, but I'm not an idiot. Sometimes you just need a bit more. Find the right dose for you and this stuff can work wonders."

KJ12345 February 4, 2016

"I started Celexa after trying many other meds for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I can't begin to say how much I love it. It' truly has given me a life I never knew. I feel so much better and things now roll off instead of driving me insane! Best decision I ever made. Really need to give it a good two months. That's when I really noticed the change."

Tis2016 February 2, 2016

"This medication is definitely not for me. I suffer from social anxiety and panic attacks. I took 10 mg daily for 2 weeks. Although while on this medication, I did not have my panic attacks; I still had social anxiety. I was completely emotionless, couldn't stay sleeping, and never had an orgasm; the total zombie affect. It gave me headaches every morning and jaw pain-I guess a withdrawal side effect. I would not recommend to anyone unless you are coming off of some hard drugs. Every addictive! Severe side effects!"

felt drugged February 1, 2016

"HATED IT! I have anxiety and I thought this would be great for me until I tried it and I took a pill in the morning, later that night at 1 a.m I woke up with the most awful panic attack in my life. I was scared, I was freaking out about my baby for no reason, I cried for hours and I didn't know what I was doing and I was fighting my thoughts in my head. Luckily my husband stayed up with me as I cried myself to sleep for 3 hours shaking and all my muscles were completely tense. Celexa heightened my anxiety And made me suicidal. DO NOT TAKE CELEXA!"

mermaid12345 January 27, 2016

"I have been on Celexa since May and was reluctant to start since I had read all sorts of bad reviews on the internet. However, I am so glad I did because it has truly changed my life. I used to stress over everything and I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I feel 100% better. Celexa has allowed me to take control of my emotions, to read situations more clearly and to put things in my life into perspective so that I am not in a constant state of anxiety. I did not experience any side-effects. This drug has allowed me to take back the control of my life and has stopped that constant worried voice that was in my head. I highly recommend it to anyone who has the same issues as myself."

Penny243111111 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used celexa to treat my severe stress triggered anxiety and panic attacks. It was limiting my life to the point I thought I'd have to quit my job. I'd never been on anti anxiety drugs but started on 10mg which is very low. Did not see effects immediately. Things started feeling 'different' before they felt better. My personal side effects were fatigue, restless tossing and turning at night (normally I'm out like a log), night sweats, and weirdly sweaty hands. All of this was WAY better than having anxiety though so I'm not complaining! It relieved some anxiety but didn't really pick up my mood. I'm sensitive to medication and underweight so this might be a unusual experience. I'm switching to Paxil to see if I get better results."

Carolyn,23,F (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"I have a previous traumatic stroke 5 years ago. I have been maintained with blood thinners and 1mg ativan. Recently last month my anxiety and panic attacks are at all time high. They are daily and debilitating.. I fear of dying but have had numerous ER trips and Dr visits that always come back very healthy.. I have only been on celexa for 3 days. Are anyone out there with similar background and positive experiences with this drug. Thanks"

Btoostressed December 31, 2015

"I take celexa 40 mg per day. I am taking it to help with PTSD, from when someone tried to kill me a few years ago. I also have extreme anxiety about small spaces, flying in an airplane and heights. I also have occasional panic attacks. Celexa has worked wonders for the constant anxiety and sadness I was feeling. Celexa has made me feel calm in situations where I would have previously panicked. I feel like my old self most days of the week. I would recommend this medication to anyone with anxiety about certain situations and fears."

Lisa 221122 December 24, 2015

"Hi there can somebody please help me as I've been on citalopram 20mg for 16 days now do feel a little bit better but not there yet. I want to be my self again as I've got no control over my mind feels like I'm going crazy can some body please let me know"

Goodace (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2015

"Celexa has alot of ingredients that you do not need. Lexapro is cleaner more potent form of celexa. Celexa is not ment for anxiety. I am seeing alot of placebo effects on here. I swear alot of these comments are from the celexa company"

Jay de December 14, 2015

"One day out of the blue I started experiencing extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I would wake up in the middle of the night shaking and sweating. I couldn't eat, sleep, or socialize with my friends. I was scared at first but finally decided to try celexa. Initially the side effect sucked. Insomnia, increased anxiety, and a weird fuzzy head feeling. I switched to taking it in the morning and that helped with the insomnia. I also slowly titrated by 5mg up to my recommend dose which lessened the side effects. All in all, I'm very happy with the results. I rarely get anxious anymore. For those of you just getting on to it, give it time."

madi123 December 10, 2015

"I started celexa because I was having outbursts due to anxiety. At first I was afraid to try it, so I took a half dose for the first week. The initial side effects sucked - fuzzy/cloudy brain, was dizzy, couldn't concentrate. I took it at night to sleep thru it until those initial symptoms went away, then back to morning so I can sleep better. After ~3 weeks I did notice a decrease in my anxiety and outbursts. It's been ~2 months now and I have not had any incidents at work, and overall I am much better about dealing with stress. I don't feel weird or different or withdrawn or anything otherwise. I actually thought the meds weren't working until I looked back & realized I hadn't had any more episodes!"

BKitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2015