Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Adderall

Learn more about Adderall.

Narcolepsy 26 reviews 15 medications

8.7
ADHD 163 reviews 32 medications

8.5
Summary of Adderall reviews 189 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Adderall

Review by Blondy02:

For ADHD: I've been taking 60mg of Adderall a day for 14 years now. It's a miracle! I don't think I would have made it through high school or college without it. I started when I was 14 and starting high school. I loathed getting up early, but shortly after taking my pills I was awake and motivated to get ready and go about my day. It made boring classes seem more interesting. It gives you this focus and drive to be productive.I don't feel like myself without them. I'm cranky, unmotivated, eat and sleep a lot if I don't take it. Just be cautious with dosage. You do develop a tolerance to it over time. If your blood pressure goes way up and you feel jittery or shaky, your taking too high of a mg. People should start with 10 or 20mg at first.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2012 9:38 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: 36 year old female diagnosed with ADHD. Started on Concerta 30mg daily (2 weeks), no therapeutic effect but had extreme dry mouth, a crash/grogginess in the evenings. Switched to Adderall XR 20mg daily, no therapeutic effect; experienced dry mouth and slight loss of appetite during day, made up for it in evening. Just started 40mg daily and I feel the therapeutic effect. Profound concentration at work, desire to tweak processes, love getting things done, a non-stop interest in being productive with everything. I have this sense of crystal clear clarity of my surroundings, like HDTV sight. Around 5pm, I still feel a crash and extreme tiredness. I will see if I can take a short acting pill to get me through the evening. VERY PLEASED NOW.

August 18, 2012 11:00 AM

For ADHD: It didn't work for my son and he ended up bouncing around on a lot of medicines.

August 16, 2012 11:37 AM

Review by artmuffin (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Narcolepsy: I am a 69 year old female who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since I was in my 30's. The CFS came long after the FMS but Adderall 20 mg 3 x's daily has made my life bearable, enabled me to stay awake, boosted my energy (I also have Hashimoto's disease - hypothyroid) and has provided me with a feeling of normalcy. I see my doctor every 3 months for blood work and medical care. Got a new script today but insurance wants a pre-authorization which will take 3-4 days and I am out of this medication. Guess it will be a sleepy weekend coming up! Adderall rocks!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2012 11:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I'm a full-time college student in my mid-20s. I've been on Adderall for 3 months now. I cut my 15mg IR in half and take it in the morning and the other half 3 hours later (and another half after 3-4 hours if needed). I don't take it everyday, I probably only take it 4x a week. If you don't have an addictive personality, you won't be addicted to it. I have to say it works really well with my ADD. I'm able to study for hours at a time. I don't necessarily think it makes you smarter. It just lets you focus on a task without getting distracted. I think my only complaint is sudden mood swings and agitation. I definitely noticed a difference in my personality the days I'm not on it. I get angry very easily and irritable.

July 9, 2012 6:16 AM

Review by BR4892 (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: I have been on Adderall for a little under a month. Let me say, this is the magic pill. I can focus, sit and watch an actual movie, and pay attention in daily life as well as my college. Love Adderall.

June 3, 2012 3:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I have ADHD & narcolepsy. I recently started Adderall after trying a few other medications. So far the Adderall has been a God send. I hope it continues to help me with my problems.

May 15, 2012 1:30 PM

Review by summerr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I've been taking Adderall for now 4 months. It's helped so much! My grades have improved tremendously! I'm more focused and can pay attention a lot more. The only issue is when I take it I take one 30mg pill a day by the end of school I'm exhausted and feel sick. I've lost almost 20 pounds and I don't take in on the weekends because I can't have fun.

May 2, 2012 1:05 PM

Review by justindavid22:

For ADHD: This medication has completely changed my life. Without it I feel like I am not complete. Twisted I feel like I can accomplish anything. Without it I sleep and have no motivation, suffer from depression, anxiety, no social skills. With it my whole social outlook changed, I am no longer shy and not showing away from social encounters. It is definitely a miracle.

April 25, 2012 7:02 PM

Review by new focus?:

For ADHD: I have used this medication for over three years, with great success in combating lifelong inability to maintain focus, or to complete tasks, get to work on time, etc., etc. Recently, my physician informed me that the manufacturer of Adderall had quit making immediate release tablets (was taking 1-2 20mg/day)- and switched me over to Vyvanse 40mg time released. Now I'm having problems sleeping, feel generally depressed. Doubt they quit making Adderall/as my doctor said...and think it is more likely the authorities was coming down.

April 20, 2012 8:49 PM

Review by Katie126:

For Narcolepsy: I fall asleep at the drop of a hat and experience sleep paralysis. There are times I know I'm supposed to be awake and I simply can't wake up. Adderall helps so much. I've taken it for about a year, however, and it is wearing off. I hope to find a substitute that will help me stay awake soon.

April 10, 2012 1:18 PM

Review by --Jake--:

For ADHD: I have been suffering through ADD and Dyslexia my whole life. Together, the two work together to make your life a hell pit. Dyslexia made it harder for me to understand things and ADD made it hard for me to keep my focus long enough to understand it. I have been on and off ADD medications throughout my life, all which had negatives which outweighed the positives. I am now 17, I also lost hope in myself that I would ever be, "normal". It was taking me as least 10 times as long to complete task as my classmates. I started to become a burnout... until, I was prescribed Adderall. My head that once felt like a rock, now feels totally capable of thinking. My grades went up and now I have hope. I still have challenges, but they are manageable.

April 8, 2012 3:45 PM

For Narcolepsy: My life was sleep before I started adderall taking 15 mg twice a day and I'm still tired but not sleeping like I was before. Only been taking it for a few days but has helped a lot. I only slept and worked and sadly that was my life for 5 years.

March 30, 2012 9:51 PM

Review by headtripp:

For ADHD: Started taking Adderall about 3.5 years ago while in my early twenties for ADD. After already been diagnosed at around 7 my parents refused to put me on medicines. I was never able to sit still, go a day without being extremely restless in class, and many times was sent to the office for being loud. After extreme fatigue and no motivation to finish anything including zero motivation to work, depression, etc. I started Adderall. Has helped so much (at first) things got done, class/work was way smoother. And had interest in things I always struggled to absorb. Cons... tolerance builds fast. Sleep is a must or you feel like a corpse. (After the first few weeks sleep comes easier though.) Nervous. Jittery.

March 29, 2012 9:57 AM

For ADHD: I have taken Adderall for over 6 yrs now. At first it was the best! All my problems were solved. Higher concentration, longer attention span, lower appetite, more sociable. It was awesome. But over the years the side effects have caught up to me. Increased sweating, higher pulse rate, higher blood pressure, lower quality of sleep, dazed. My shoulder muscles are so tense all the time its almost painful. I'm prescribed 60mg a day, and that used to be great, but now if I take more than 30 mg my sleep quality suffers to the point where I'm a zombie the next day. Then I have to take more to feel normal, then I can't sleep again the next night. But if I don't take it, I'm completely useless for about 4 days. Therefore, I can't stop taking it.

March 15, 2012 8:41 PM

Review by otstratman:

For ADHD: I suffer from ADD. I take 30mg twice a day. It works very well for me, however sometimes I get wicked headaches in my frontal/temple areas which I am sure is a side effect of the Adderall. I am going to see my Doctor in a week and talk this over with him. I also notice that sometimes I feel really sleepy after I take a dose.

March 15, 2012 2:39 PM

Review by ElRenee83:

For ADHD: I would like to say that Adderrall really works, it helps me concentrate, and get things done, My mind doesnt race, and I am able to focus. I do experience the dry mouth, and the loss of appetite. And I was experiencing a lot of headaches when I first started taking it, and it would be migraines starting from my temple to the pressure in my eye. I did a self experiment before I completely stopped taking the medicine and began to drink TWO GLASSES of water. 1 before my pill then wait 10 mins and drink another glass of water with the pill.. And through out the day I kept drinking water... And I have no more headaches... Drink water!!!! ALL DAY!

March 14, 2012 3:22 PM

Review by Sister0303:

For ADHD: I was recently diagnosed with ADHD.....I was on regular Adderall....it made me feel great! I was able to focus better and accomplish a lot. I was switched to Adderall XR....it TOTALLY changed my life! After being on it about a month, I started noticing that I was becoming more and more depressed and easily agitated. I also noticed that I had no drive AT ALL! I didn't want to do anything! It got so bad that I became suicidal! I was admitted into the hospital for a brief stay (which was a nightmare!) and learned from the psychiatrist that depression was indeed a side effect of the medicine. I immediately stopped taking it and am slowly getting back to normalcy. Its been about 3 weeks and I feel like I'm almost completely back to normal.

March 3, 2012 6:48 PM

Review by willynyc:

For ADHD: I've been on Adderall for about 4 years. I was having an extremely hard time focusing, extreme fatigue, general feeling of being lost and overly emotional and unstable. Adderall was an absolute miracle when I started on it. My trouble paying attention, loss of interest in life, constant sleepiness and emotional swings were gone. It made me genuinely happy and self confident for the first time in my life.

February 26, 2012 3:28 PM

For ADHD: When I began taking Adderall in my early 20's, from dose one I could say I feel "normal" for the first time in my life since I was a young boy. I was happy and life had meaning and a reason. It allowed me to become productive, and I loved this new feeling of well being in both mind and body. It came after a decade of severe depression, anxiety and panic states, and a multitude of psych issues, and I was like a person on the outside, but inside a disease of agonizing mental anguish and physically I hurt of severe pain but no physical evidence that I was like a 20 year old young man who was only alive because I would not die. A tablet of Adderall changed my life and it is my key to life worth living.

February 23, 2012 5:42 PM

For ADHD: I am on the IR version and I agree with the person who commented that you forget to eat. I have lost 12 pounds over the last six months and I have to remember to eat. As they stated I do get foggy headed and kind of high feeling at times, but when I eat something and remember to take my vitamins since I don't eat as much I am fine. I am older and I did it so I could study for the CPA exam because I could not keep my mind focused on the study materials. My work performance has improved phenomenally as well. My boss noticed at my next review and even commented that I seemed different. My attention to detail had improved and I was staying focused on my tasks so much better. Makes me wish I had done something like this long ago.

February 17, 2012 12:08 PM

Review by bergenstudent90:

For ADHD: I was prescribed Adderall XR 15mg six months ago after trying Focalin XR and not liking it because of severe stomach pains it would give me. Before trying the Adderall and Focalin I was diagnosed with ADHD because I brought it to my doctors attention. I had always had a problem in high school and even middle school with getting good grades, everyone thought I was lazy. In college the situation was getting worse, and I started to get depressed about my bad grades. I then realized my depression was stemming from my inability to concentrate on school work. It's been six months since I've been on the Adderall XR, and my grades have shot up! I get A's and B's in all my classes and am so much more organized which helps with everything in my life.

February 14, 2012 4:05 PM

For ADHD: Double edged sword with Adderall. Great for concentration, brought my college GPA from a 2.5 to a 3.7, amazing. Although I do have trouble sleeping with it, and I often have mild bouts of depression, and roller coaster of emotion that I never have had before. Although it is important to state that this may be because I am not eating as much and forget to eat, which could easily cause these symptoms. AMAZING for athletics, I am able to run 3-4 times farther with this, really great. A nice feeling when its working and with a definite comedown. Its important to mention I am on the IR version, which could be causing these side effects. My food habits are also now VERY healthy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2012 1:51 AM

Review by luluchan:

For ADHD: I take only 5mg a day but it works for my mild ADD. This gives me great concentration and I can get things done. Without this, I can't even read an article in a newspaper. This is my life saver. The only catch is I get tense TMJ from this. But I lived with it as the benefit outweigh the side effect.

January 20, 2012 9:26 AM

For ADHD: I was diagnosed with ADD at 21, as a junior in college. Before Adderall, I was an average student. I had a short attention span and difficulty efficiently completing tasks. The first time I took it, I read long passages and retained all the information. I actually follow my professors in-class. I didn't dread studying anymore; I actually kind of enjoyed it! I couldn't believe it. Within 2 semesters, my GPA has gone from a 3.1 to a 3.5. There are only a few downsides that come to mind. First, I have trouble falling asleep at night. Next, I get irritated when studying/tasks are interrupted. Also, coming off of it, I feel extremely tired for at least 3 or 4 days.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate