Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Adderall

Learn more about Adderall.

Narcolepsy 22 reviews 13 medications

8.7
ADHD 152 reviews 62 medications

8.5
Summary of Adderall reviews 174 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Adderall

Review by Sister0303:

For ADHD: I was recently diagnosed with ADHD.....I was on regular Adderall....it made me feel great! I was able to focus better and accomplish a lot. I was switched to Adderall XR....it TOTALLY changed my life! After being on it about a month, I started noticing that I was becoming more and more depressed and easily agitated. I also noticed that I had no drive AT ALL! I didn't want to do anything! It got so bad that I became suicidal! I was admitted into the hospital for a brief stay (which was a nightmare!) and learned from the psychiatrist that depression was indeed a side effect of the medicine. I immediately stopped taking it and am slowly getting back to normalcy. Its been about 3 weeks and I feel like I'm almost completely back to normal.

March 3, 2012 6:48 PM

Review by willynyc:

For ADHD: I've been on Adderall for about 4 years. I was having an extremely hard time focusing, extreme fatigue, general feeling of being lost and overly emotional and unstable. Adderall was an absolute miracle when I started on it. My trouble paying attention, loss of interest in life, constant sleepiness and emotional swings were gone. It made me genuinely happy and self confident for the first time in my life.

February 26, 2012 3:28 PM

For ADHD: When I began taking Adderall in my early 20's, from dose one I could say I feel "normal" for the first time in my life since I was a young boy. I was happy and life had meaning and a reason. It allowed me to become productive, and I loved this new feeling of well being in both mind and body. It came after a decade of severe depression, anxiety and panic states, and a multitude of psych issues, and I was like a person on the outside, but inside a disease of agonizing mental anguish and physically I hurt of severe pain but no physical evidence that I was like a 20 year old young man who was only alive because I would not die. A tablet of Adderall changed my life and it is my key to life worth living.

February 23, 2012 5:42 PM

For ADHD: I am on the IR version and I agree with the person who commented that you forget to eat. I have lost 12 pounds over the last six months and I have to remember to eat. As they stated I do get foggy headed and kind of high feeling at times, but when I eat something and remember to take my vitamins since I don't eat as much I am fine. I am older and I did it so I could study for the CPA exam because I could not keep my mind focused on the study materials. My work performance has improved phenomenally as well. My boss noticed at my next review and even commented that I seemed different. My attention to detail had improved and I was staying focused on my tasks so much better. Makes me wish I had done something like this long ago.

February 17, 2012 12:08 PM

Review by bergenstudent90:

For ADHD: I was prescribed Adderall XR 15mg six months ago after trying Focalin XR and not liking it because of severe stomach pains it would give me. Before trying the Adderall and Focalin I was diagnosed with ADHD because I brought it to my doctors attention. I had always had a problem in high school and even middle school with getting good grades, everyone thought I was lazy. In college the situation was getting worse, and I started to get depressed about my bad grades. I then realized my depression was stemming from my inability to concentrate on school work. It's been six months since I've been on the Adderall XR, and my grades have shot up! I get A's and B's in all my classes and am so much more organized which helps with everything in my life.

February 14, 2012 4:05 PM

For ADHD: Double edged sword with Adderall. Great for concentration, brought my college GPA from a 2.5 to a 3.7, amazing. Although I do have trouble sleeping with it, and I often have mild bouts of depression, and roller coaster of emotion that I never have had before. Although it is important to state that this may be because I am not eating as much and forget to eat, which could easily cause these symptoms. AMAZING for athletics, I am able to run 3-4 times farther with this, really great. A nice feeling when its working and with a definite comedown. Its important to mention I am on the IR version, which could be causing these side effects. My food habits are also now VERY healthy.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2012 1:51 AM

Review by luluchan:

For ADHD: I take only 5mg a day but it works for my mild ADD. This gives me great concentration and I can get things done. Without this, I can't even read an article in a newspaper. This is my life saver. The only catch is I get tense TMJ from this. But I lived with it as the benefit outweigh the side effect.

January 20, 2012 9:26 AM

For ADHD: I was diagnosed with ADD at 21, as a junior in college. Before Adderall, I was an average student. I had a short attention span and difficulty efficiently completing tasks. The first time I took it, I read long passages and retained all the information. I actually follow my professors in-class. I didn't dread studying anymore; I actually kind of enjoyed it! I couldn't believe it. Within 2 semesters, my GPA has gone from a 3.1 to a 3.5. There are only a few downsides that come to mind. First, I have trouble falling asleep at night. Next, I get irritated when studying/tasks are interrupted. Also, coming off of it, I feel extremely tired for at least 3 or 4 days.

December 14, 2011 9:31 PM

For Narcolepsy: Lots of side effects - Keeps me awake when taking 50mg a day - makes it hard to go to sleep at night, involuntary muscle movement at times, kills the sex life.

November 30, 2011 3:04 AM

Review by tlcbiz:

For ADHD: I had been taking Adderall (generic) for approximately five years but recently switched to dextroamphetamine because it was getting so hard to get Adderall due to (as the pharmacy said) "a manufacturer backorder". But talk about serendipity; the dextroamphetamine makes me clench my jaw a LOT less than the amphetamine salts and as I begin to lose focus at the end of the day I don't get a headache to boot. So overall I have to say the dextroamphetamine is significantly better than Adderall on several levels.

November 17, 2011 8:22 PM

For ADHD: Works well. Be sure not to take in evening or night just in the morning and noon though, because it will cause sleeplessness.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2011 6:39 PM

Review by soharu:

For ADHD: This medicine increasingly made my symptoms get worse. I became aggressive, ignorant, emotional and I am not a person who gets emotional. Note: I was 12. Please, watch closely if you give this to children.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2011 9:32 PM

Review by EvansWonderland:

For ADHD: I have a vast array of psych problems from ADD to OCD to suicidal ideation. Adderall was the first wonder pill for me. It made every other medicine I was taking more tolerable and more effective. It caused my mind to stop racing so bad. Adderall changed my life.

November 1, 2011 5:54 PM

For ADHD: Adderall has helped change the well being of my LIFE. As a child I had a issue affecting me. So, I tried to hide it because I was embarrassed but as an adult I finally had to own up to it after the birth of my child. I needed education so, I enrolled in College after a couple of weeks. I started to notice the same problems. I spoke to my doctor, was tested for ADD and was diagnosed. Since then I've been on 20mg Adderall morning and 10mg Ritain in the evening. I had only positive effects. I finally get to be the great student I always wanted to be and can finish my daily chores without forgetting things. I only hope that people quit trying to say this medicine isn't good for anyone. For yrs I didn't make the A's I wanted and now I do. People taking this medicine don't want to "They Have NO Choice But To.

October 11, 2011 3:20 PM

Review by abacab:

For ADHD: Works great!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2011 4:05 PM

For ADHD: I have had problems my whole life with school, holding down jobs, depression and alcoholism. Adderall has changed my life. I am 43 and I finally have the courage to pursue the career I didn't think I would be able to do before. I also take Prozac. The combination does make me a little dizzy and I do sweat a lot more, but the miracle of being able to function on a daily basis and concentrate out way the side effects.

August 30, 2011 10:44 AM

Review by Neverbeenbetter:

For ADHD: This medicine is amazing. I used to ALWAYS be the last one to turn in tests in High School. Now I take one in the morning and in about an hour feel like I am my true self. With it I can process information clearly, easily, and very efficiently. Now I have no problems with writing essays, answering in-depth questions, second-guessing myself. I even found that I am a lot more confident with many things (ranging from presentations to girls). I also take much better care of myself throughout the day except when it comes to eating for I do experience the loss in appetite. To describe it, it is almost like an auto tune-up program except for your brain! Adderall is absolutely great for me!

August 17, 2011 10:04 PM

For ADHD: I was on adderall for about 10 years after I lost too much weight on Dexatrin. I began when I was about 10 and went all the way up to 40-60 mg a day, depending on how I felt. I was great for focus, but I definitely had sweaty pits, which I find really annoying. After Adderall stopped working, I switched to Concerta for 3 years, then to VyvanSe, which was incredible. All of these medications, though, made me feel like a schizo. Because I started so young, I got used to the feelings, but I would be a robot when I was on them, and coming down, irritable until I ate, then crazy hyper. Adderall did everything it was supposed to do, and because of it I was able to get into a great boarding school, great college, and now grad school.

July 11, 2011 6:00 PM

Review by Chemicalman:

For ADHD: The dosage of Adderall XR is variable from person to person within the established prescribing limitations that are an essential aspect of using this drug safely. That being said, I have personally experienced the efficacy of Adderall XR as being determined by being on the right dosage (not too little or not too much) of this very effective medication for Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2011 12:03 PM

Review by cras:

For ADHD: As a child I always had problems with being very hyper and I couldn't pay attention like other children in my class. My teacher noticed it and told my mother about things that could help me. My mother had me tested and put on Adderall. Within a week I can honestly remember a change. At first it made me feel very funny and zombie like but after it got in my system my family said I was totally different person. I also suffer with dyslexia, but this medication helped me with that too. I was put on it when I was 7 years old. When I was 20 I stopped taking it since I was out of school. I couldn't hold down a job and things just got really bad for me. Then I had my baby boy and decided I had to be put back on it. Best thing that happened to me.

May 26, 2011 12:04 AM

For ADHD: I've been on Concerta before and decided to try Adderall. I loved the results, ultra focused. At the beginning I was incredibly happy with it. Unfortunately, I had a severe allergic reaction to it. I'm not allergic to any other medicines but for some reason Adderall got me. If you get extremely itchy on the medicines stop taking it. I kept taking it for a while because I loved the results and the itching got really bad.

May 7, 2011 10:27 AM

Review by unknown1:

For ADHD: Started Adderall 2 weeks ago. I am still trying to find the right dose. Doctor said "start with 10mg morning and afternoon but if that's to much take 5mg morning and afternoon" I'm finding if I take 10mgs and my day is really busy I am fine but if my day is not than I notice my heart rate and a need to be doing something. I'm not sure about this medicine yet but willing to give it a little more time. I just want to know if the feeling of needing to be busy will end.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2011 2:19 PM

Review by kcooper32:

For ADHD: I started on Ritalin for ADHD but I switched to Adderall, because the Ritalin made me extremely irritable. Adderall 20 mg allows me to concentrate, tune out distractions, and manage time efficiently. Negative side effects: suppressed appetite (positive for me!), SOMETIMES slightly irritable mood towards the end of the day, sleeplessness if I take it less than 12 hours before bedtime.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2011 9:56 AM

I am a 46 yr old female and have taken Adderall XR 10 mg for over a year now. Adderall has helped me tremendously. Before starting it, could barely get out of bed. Had no interest in anything, not even living. Couldn't focus; nearly a zombie. As long as I take it I'm a happy functional person. Some issues with insomnia but nothing unmanageable. Don't take it on my days off to avoid building a tolerance. However, have become totally dependent on this medicine. Recently tried to stop taking it. Second day without it, I was useless, and by third day, I was like a zombie.

January 22, 2011 1:00 PM

Review by grniz31:

For ADHD: Well I have been on Adderall for about 5 months 20mg daily. I wish I would have taken it sooner though. I am a single mom of twin 5 year olds and I noticed that I needed this birth control. I couldn't even get out of bed, focus, complete and daily normal function, daydream, etc. I finally realized it was needed after my mother had her heart attack and I could not focus not even at work. I went to my doctors and he put me on this and I feel great 95% of the time. Weight loss great! I recommend this to anyone that needs something to really save them from spiraling down and not being able to be "Normal" Great!

January 3, 2011 11:54 PM