User Reviews for Focalin XR

Learn more about Focalin XR.

Auditory Processing Disorder 3 reviews 2 medications

ADHD 49 reviews 36 medications

7.9
Summary of Focalin XR reviews 52 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Focalin XR

For ADHD "My son has been diagnosed by 2 psychiatrists with ADHD. His issue started when he was 4. I thought he would out grow it, but it hasn't happened. He's 7 now. I've tried everything and going to start Focalin XR next week. I'm terrified!! mostly of all the side effects. I'm also afraid it's not going to work..am I doing the right thing..."

Terrified mom April 21, 2016

For ADHD "My son started haveing behavior problems in pre school. We had some teachers put up with it while the next year another wouldn't. They'de go out of their way to displine him,cause face it their human and just didn't like him. He still got straight a's and b's. We decided hey he's just hyped he has good grades we re not gonna dope our kid up. We'll we moved he went to a new school where teachers didn't know him and they started letting him fall behind. In principles office everday. Then we found foclin it was night and day.They put him in special classe last three months of year. By the end of three months they had already decided he didn't need the classes and for three years now a lilltle babytalk no incidents or trips to office."

Focalin for president March 8, 2016

For ADHD "My son was diagnosed at 4 and has been through almost all the drugs for ADHD which would typically fail because of side effects ie zombie out or hypersensitivity and the simplest things would make him cry. He has been diagnosed by two of the biggest and best known hospitals for children (2 separate occassions) with the 0.001% extreme ADHD and let me tell you Focalin has been a God sent. He is 10 now, on Focalin xr 25mg, his grades are up, left and right compliments from teachers that usually had complaints, no reported behavioural issues yet. Only small downside is appetite suppression. Big healthy meal before the med, small high cal snacks after school and dinner, big healthy dinner and you're set. While on meds can't even tell he has ADHD!"

extremely happy mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2015

For ADHD "I never had ADD or problems focusing and staying motivated before I had chemotherapy for Ewing's Sarcoma at 16-17 years old. I'm now 24 and started being treated for those symptoms with Focalin XR earlier this year. It was night and day difference for me. I had energy, yes the first week I was shakey but that stops, I lost weight gained from conituning to eat like a weight lifting football player but had very little movement at all. I felt great, I can get things done now. Motivation is now just lacking from my lack of trying but when I get on something I blaze through it. Negative effects I have experienced are occasional moodiness, especially if I am focused on something and then get interrupted. Caffeine is a no no."

BrandonH6 December 10, 2015

For ADHD "We had no results on this medication. Granted we only took the 5mg but her emotions were so heightened she would start crying for no reason. The teachers didn't see a difference and her grades started going down. The side effects were to intense for her on 5mg, there was no way I going to go up and have it worse. We are now going to try Vyvanse 10mg. We will see if this change helps."

9yr old daughter (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2015

For ADHD "My Son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 4 years old he Is now 7 before finding Focalin his doctor started him on Ritalin he was only on it for 3 days because it made him zombified and depressive with many mood swings then he started Vyvanse for a few weeks but it gave him some kind of allergic reaction in his throat. Finally he was put on Focalin 10ml and for the last 3 years it has been doing him great. He does awesome in school and also at home he can focus and he is happy. The only bad part is he has absolutely no appetite from 10 min after he takes the pill- 6hrs later. He drinks cyproheptad syrup 2mg to help boost his appetite while on the Focalin."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2015

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive Type at age 20, in my junior year of college (about 2.5 years ago). I started on Focalin XR 10mg, and while it took me a to get used to how to work around the meds (I had to change from doing schoolwork late at night to early in the morning), but it has done nothing but help me. The only thing I found was that when I interned and now that I've been working for a year, it doesn't help me (I'm on the phone a lot and it makes me have some issues bouncing around a conversation - too focused on one thing). Cons: absolutely no appetite from about half an hour after taking it-, 6/7 hrs later, really stiff neck, crazy distracted/hungry/drained when it wears off"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2015

For ADHD "My son was diagnosed with ADHD about 6 months ago,he is 7 years old, this medicine Works great. He's not zombified. Helps him to really focus and helps with school. Only side effect I noticed is he doesn't have a appetite and it wears off about 4pm and he eats like crazy then. No mood swings. Very satisfied with this medication."

Mac daddy25 August 19, 2015

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with ADHD when i was about 5 and my experience over all has been amazing ive been on it for 12 years now i take 40mg once in the morning and in the afternoon and by like 6pm it wears off(btw im 6 feet tall and weigh 225 lb thanks to this medication). The only bad parts or symptoms im having are that Caffeine has no effect on me anymore( probably built up a tolerance thanks to the focalin) , I dont always sleep to well, and ever since i tuned like 14 my appetite went from non-existent to out of control (dont know why...) im 17 now and am an A- Student where as i was an F student before, I definitely recommend this but i should warn you all its not for everyone there are alternatives."

Blastman123 (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2015

For ADHD "My daughter was 6 when she started it and her school work has improved dramatically. The only side effect is that she is not hungry, and we have to force her to eat. At 5:30pm when it wears off, she is hungry and distracted."

Anonymous July 28, 2015

For ADHD "My son was diagnosed at six years old. (ADHD). He's been on Focalin EX 30 mg for four years. Works amazing he's able to concentrate and focus in school."

Son name Shawn. May 15, 2015

For ADHD "I'm 17 now. Been taking the medicine for maybe 3-4 years now. Honestly, it's fantastic in what it does. Better concentration, less impulsive, able to actually sit down and work, more control over my mood/emotions and its worth repeating Less Impulsive. But please know that because of this I also weigh 129lbs. I'm 6 feet tall. This completly kills my appetite. I've gone full 24 days without any real meal and hate it. I hate feeling my stomach in pain and feeling weak because I have nothing to fuel me but still my mouth stays dry and eating food becomes so non-instinctive that I have to force myself to go through the motions of chewing and swallowing. When off it, appetite is fine. Great medicine, please be aware of the effects possible."

Joshua_ April 9, 2015

For ADHD "I'm an adult who has taken this off and on for 4 years. I've always had trouble concentrating and Focalin is an effective fix. I do think there are minor side-effects though. It makes me feel much more focused and less worried/panicked about what I need to do. Unlike other though I would not say it calms me down I feel like it actually stresses me out more. When I take this I'm more serious and easily annoyed and I can't relax. I have also found that my appetite drops off and that I don't sleep very deeply. Overall a great medicine but for me and many ADHD people our symptoms are brought out due to simply a lack of strenuous physical exercise (1hr) every day. When on a regular exercise and sleep schedule I do not need it."

math-man December 6, 2014

For ADHD "I was properly diagnosed with ADHD after knowing all my life, I'm special. And different from the rest of my coworkers and people I meet and met. I recently lost my job due to a "rightful" blowup at the my Boss's deputy, which led to all the way to a final write up. Two month later, it was discovered that I wasn't doing the daily logs, that everyone can do, but I couldn't do it easily. This behavior led to a Doctor and conclusion, I have ADHD. At first I was on Vyvanse 20 then 40, this left me speedy and jittery, almost unable to cope in public. So I changed to Concerta XR 36. Mild and cool enough, but I don't see the difference with my ADHD. So I moved to Focalin XR 25. It's been an hour since my taking it at 3pm. I feel it."

Down-the-line~ (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2014

For ADHD "My son is 13 and was put on Focalin for his ADHD when he was about 7 years old. It did not make him a zombie at all. My ex=husband was very concerned that it would do what Ritalin did to him. Focalin for my son just calmed him down enough to do his class work . He was first just taking one in the mornings and then as he got older and got more class work to do we realized that it was not lasting him so he got put on a low does for in the afternoon. He grades improved so much and yet he still had a lot of energy to blow through."

Brandy30 March 27, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "I have two children currently taking Focalin XR. My 12-year-old daughter has been on it for three years and my nine-year-old son has been on it for one year. We have seen fantastic results with both of them. We have seen as many others have said that the medicine seems to wear off about the time they get home from school. What we do is they have a small snack and take a small afternoon dose of 5 to 10 mg of regular Focalin to help them get to their homework and evening activities. If it is a no homework day or no activity day we opt to not take this medicine in the evening and we do not take the evening dose on the weekends. We do take the morning dose every day of the week. We've not had any major side effects. The only thing we have noticed is a slight decrease in my sons appetite not my daughters. We have also had to adjust medication as they have grown. But we have had wonderful success with both children on the medication."

Lltcat February 1, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with ADD when I was seven, I think. I had behavior issues in my second grade class and I drove my teacher nuts with my constant distractions and my lack of focus. Little things like small talk and excessive noises triggered my symptoms and I was put on Ritalin LA when I was eight. Ritalin was awful for me. I didn't sleep very well at all. I had periods of insomnia and when I would sleep it was very prolonged in hours of sleep I was getting. Finally, after a couple of years suffering with this Ritalin I talked with my doctor about trying a new medicine called Focalin XR when I was 13 and I am almost 18 now. Focalin XR has been really wonderful for me. My focus is better. It does cause diarrhea, and mood swings."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2014

For ADHD "Let me explain what can go wrong here and what you may want to speak with your Dr about. Focalin XRs effect is much , much, much stronger than Concerta or Ritalin. This is very important to understand, so if you are thinking of switching to Focalin XR from another medication do not go to a similar strength. I was on Concerta 54mg and went to Focalin XR 40mg. This was a scary experience I got dizzy almost passed out and couldn't tell you what 1 1 was. It was horrible to say the least. I discontinued the Focalin and tried Adderal. That made me grumpy and sick. I did research and found out about Focalins potency. I am now on Focalin XR 15mg and doing awesome."

Mr P (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2014

For ADHD "I gave my 4 year old his first dose at 7 am on a Friday- by 3pm he was running, hitting back flips off the bed and could not stay asleep. I called the doctor she said discontinue. His heart was beating out his chest- I was so scared I sat and watched him all night and his heart beat like that through the next day. No more stimulants for him. "

Momma Tiph (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2013

For ADHD "Our son has been on focalin xr for about 3 months. He was on regular focalin for 2 months previous to the xr, but because the medication would wear off so quickly, it was like he was on an emotional roller coaster. The xr has been better for those reasons. I still struggle with having my son on medication and the fact that his appetite is so little while on the medicine. But I'm happy to report he's doing well in school and cooperating. I don't like that he seems so serious when he's on the medicine because I don't want a little robot. But I can't have my son be so impulsive and unsafe. I also don't like that the medication wears off right around the time he gets home and he tantrums and acts terrible and all I do is correct behavior."

Cameron's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2013

For ADHD "Helpful."

neandrathal September 18, 2013

For ADHD "My fifteen year old son has had behavioral problems since he was a toddler, he was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of five through very specific testing by a psychologist who specialized in ADHD. I was not going to put my son on medication because his teachers thought he was "hyper", there is a difference. He has been on every ADHD medication on earth with different side effects. None of them were as effective as finding Focalin XR. If a medication is not working or causing negative side effects on your child, do not give up! Sometimes you need to try a different combination of medications. My son did not start doing emotionally better and stabilized on his medication until he was twelve. I would not give up. Help is out there!"

lmschmitz3 July 11, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Auditory Processing Disorder "My son is 9 and was diagnosed with a central auditory processing disorder. He is/was also showing symptoms of ADHD. In trouble in school, refusing to do his work, he was even switched to an emotional support classroom, and after all the tests, we found out that his brain couldn't process what he was hearing, which caused the ADHD like symptoms. We were offered to try Focalin XR...started on 5 mg but just switched to 10mg because my son said it wasn't making much of a difference. He eats well, even on the medication, and has been coming home with almost perfect daily behavior charts at school. This medicine is definitely working out good for us. Side effects are very minimal. My son takes 1mg of melatonin at night for sleep."

Djgrrrl (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2013

For Auditory Processing Disorder "Helps tremendously to focus and stay focused to get something finished vs 10 things started and nothing finished! There is a correlation between auditory processing disorder and ADHD/ADD. Many of us with ADHD/ADD have hearing issues, and "Intelligibility" is a HUGE issue when trying to learn. Unfortunately, the so-called 'hearing tests' provided by schools are directed at deafness, not Intelligibility - if a student is unable to hear/understand words, than how much education "can/do" they actually receive? Focalin has helped me with both, but I also required hearing aids - which wasn't done until I was 28 yrs old and "demanded" a full hearing test WITH a simple back-to-back repeating of similar sounding words, I only got 60% right. "

Galetown April 13, 2013

For ADHD "I am loving all these comments about this medication, and I thought I was the only one in the world who had these same issues. My 1lb 13 oz daughter had to have a tracheotomy in for 4 yrs got it removed and immediately began acting out, led to ODD and ADHD, went through all the medicines, I am a Nurse by the way. I found this and I am sticking to it, it does have appetite suppression effect, and only last 6 hours peak time. After 3pm after school it wears off and let me tell you its on until I give her clonidine 0.1mg tab at night(helps to sleep). I don't know where to go from here. Luck and God bless you all."

BobbiAnn0405 February 19, 2013