User Reviews for Focalin XR

Learn more about Focalin XR.

Focalin XR review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Focalin XR to treat ADHD

Review by Down-the-line~ (taken for less than 1 month):

I was properly diagnosed with ADHD after knowing all my life, I'm special. And different from the rest of my coworkers and people I meet and met. I recently lost my job due to a "rightful" blowup at the my Boss's deputy, which led to all the way to a final write up. Two month later, it was discovered that I wasn't doing the daily logs, that everyone can do, but I couldn't do it easily. This behavior led to a Doctor and conclusion, I have ADHD. At first I was on Vyvanse 20 then 40, this left me speedy and jittery, almost unable to cope in public. So I changed to Concerta XR 36. Mild and cool enough, but I don't see the difference with my ADHD. So I moved to Focalin XR 25. It's been an hour since my taking it at 3pm. I feel it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 4:15 PM

Review by Brandy30:

My son is 13 and was put on Focalin for his ADHD when he was about 7 years old. It did not make him a zombie at all. My ex=husband was very concerned that it would do what Ritalin did to him. Focalin for my son just calmed him down enough to do his class work . He was first just taking one in the mornings and then as he got older and got more class work to do we realized that it was not lasting him so he got put on a low does for in the afternoon. He grades improved so much and yet he still had a lot of energy to blow through.

March 27, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by Lltcat:

I have two children currently taking Focalin XR. My 12-year-old daughter has been on it for three years and my nine-year-old son has been on it for one year. We have seen fantastic results with both of them. We have seen as many others have said that the medicine seems to wear off about the time they get home from school. What we do is they have a small snack and take a small afternoon dose of 5 to 10 mg of regular Focalin to help them get to their homework and evening activities. If it is a no homework day or no activity day we opt to not take this medicine in the evening and we do not take the evening dose on the weekends. We do take the morning dose every day of the week. We've not had any major side effects. The only thing we have noticed is a slight decrease in my sons appetite not my daughters. We have also had to adjust medication as they have grown. But we have had wonderful success with both children on the medication.

February 1, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was seven, I think. I had behavior issues in my second grade class and I drove my teacher nuts with my constant distractions and my lack of focus. Little things like small talk and excessive noises triggered my symptoms and I was put on Ritalin LA when I was eight. Ritalin was awful for me. I didn't sleep very well at all. I had periods of insomnia and when I would sleep it was very prolonged in hours of sleep I was getting. Finally, after a couple of years suffering with this Ritalin I talked with my doctor about trying a new medicine called Focalin XR when I was 13 and I am almost 18 now. Focalin XR has been really wonderful for me. My focus is better. It does cause diarrhea, and mood swings.

January 23, 2014 12:51 PM

Review by Mr P (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Let me explain what can go wrong here and what you may want to speak with your Dr about. Focalin XRs effect is much , much, much stronger than Concerta or Ritalin. This is very important to understand, so if you are thinking of switching to Focalin XR from another medication do not go to a similar strength. I was on Concerta 54mg and went to Focalin XR 40mg. This was a scary experience I got dizzy almost passed out and couldn't tell you what 1 1 was. It was horrible to say the least. I discontinued the Focalin and tried Adderal. That made me grumpy and sick. I did research and found out about Focalins potency. I am now on Focalin XR 15mg and doing awesome.

January 10, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by Momma Tiph (taken for less than 1 month):

I gave my 4 year old his first dose at 7 am on a Friday- by 3pm he was running, hitting back flips off the bed and could not stay asleep. I called the doctor she said discontinue. His heart was beating out his chest- I was so scared I sat and watched him all night and his heart beat like that through the next day. No more stimulants for him.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 6:14 PM

Review by Cameron's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Our son has been on focalin xr for about 3 months. He was on regular focalin for 2 months previous to the xr, but because the medication would wear off so quickly, it was like he was on an emotional roller coaster. The xr has been better for those reasons. I still struggle with having my son on medication and the fact that his appetite is so little while on the medicine. But I'm happy to report he's doing well in school and cooperating. I don't like that he seems so serious when he's on the medicine because I don't want a little robot. But I can't have my son be so impulsive and unsafe. I also don't like that the medication wears off right around the time he gets home and he tantrums and acts terrible and all I do is correct behavior.

November 17, 2013 6:00 PM

Review by neandrathal:

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 10:04 PM

Review by lmschmitz3:

My fifteen year old son has had behavioral problems since he was a toddler, he was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of five through very specific testing by a psychologist who specialized in ADHD. I was not going to put my son on medication because his teachers thought he was "hyper", there is a difference. He has been on every ADHD medication on earth with different side effects. None of them were as effective as finding Focalin XR. If a medication is not working or causing negative side effects on your child, do not give up! Sometimes you need to try a different combination of medications. My son did not start doing emotionally better and stabilized on his medication until he was twelve. I would not give up. Help is out there!

July 11, 2013 1:02 PM

Review by BobbiAnn0405:

I am loving all these comments about this medication, and I thought I was the only one in the world who had these same issues. My 1lb 13 oz daughter had to have a tracheotomy in for 4 yrs got it removed and immediately began acting out, led to ODD and ADHD, went through all the medicines, I am a Nurse by the way. I found this and I am sticking to it, it does have appetite suppression effect, and only last 6 hours peak time. After 3pm after school it wears off and let me tell you its on until I give her clonidine 0.1mg tab at night(helps to sleep). I don't know where to go from here. Luck and God bless you all.

February 19, 2013 9:14 PM

Review by Papa del Toro (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Our Facts: Son was getting into trouble at school every day. He was a terror around the house. His diet was exceptional, eating vegetables, fish, fruit, rice, and no sugary drinks or high fructose corn syrup. Lots of love and discipline at home. Got in trouble all the time at home and school because he's uncontrollable. With Focalin he immediately improved and is doing great in school. He is actually happier and feeling better now. While his appetite is down while on the medicine (about 7 hours), he eats a huge breakfast and a huge dinner to compensate. Even his tick has gone away. We are very relieved. Only downside is that it only lasts about 7 hours. So when he gets home, he starts amping up again.

February 8, 2013 8:54 AM

Review by chrissy37:

My son just started this 2.5 weeks ago. He is 9 with ADHD and odd. The medication works fine for symptoms. Yet I'm concerned because he has developed a tic where he constantly taps his legs and sometimes hits them with his fists pretty hard and twitches his eyes. We are going back to the doctor for management.

January 21, 2013 11:12 PM

Review by Jonathan age 12:

I got diagnosed with ADHD and this is my first medicine. It helps me focus but the side effects make me miserable. I'm starving right now but I don't want to eat and my throat is dry. I can't sleep and this side effect makes it worse because I have asthma and severe allergies so I can't sleep and I have twitches bad. I twitch my left shoulder blade a lot now and sometimes it wont stop.

January 18, 2013 2:07 AM

Review by KRANKY (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a 60 year old male with ADHD, who would have ever thought it? I started using Focalin IR 5mg after cutting it into four(4) pieces. I would take one quarter piece every three hours. It took me from being nonproductive to productive again with very few side effects. I am now taking Focalin XR, 10 mg in the morning and a 5 mg 6 hours later in the afternoon. I think my ideal dose will end up at 15 mg am and 10 mg afternoon to reach the optimal dose. The only side effect has been heartburn, a slight headache and being a little jittery with a occasional outburst of anger. I can handle the side effects which have subsided somewhat, to get the wonderful effects of this medication! ALIVE AGAIN AT 60 yrs old!

December 28, 2012 8:53 PM

Review by chandler1166 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It makes me feel full and a bit depressed...but I do enjoy doing all my work and making good grades.

September 25, 2012 1:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My son has been on Focalin XR for a few years and we started at 15mg once a day and he seemed to do fine for a while and then teachers noticed some problems with attention. We have never had behavior problems and he has always seemed happy in school and at home. We increased to 20mg a day about 6-9 months ago and he just now told me that he is having suicidal thoughts and has been for a while, so will be talking to his doctor about cutting it back to 15mg a day and see if this helps.

September 2, 2012 9:06 AM

Review by Dsfg2111:

My son started Focalin 5mg when he was first diagnosed with ADHD. He was six at that time. While he did seem to be a bit more focused, the mood swings were VERY significant. He became volatile, reacting with violent outbursts and temper tantrums at the slightest provocation. After a while, his attention span declined, but his mood swings did not. His teacher noted that, even on medication, he was still having problems staying focused and on task. Upping the dosage would only have made his withdrawal worse, according to his pediatrician. I have known other children on Focalin who have had similar experiences with the medication. After six months (giving his body time to "adjust" to the medication) we took him off. Trying Concerta.

August 21, 2012 9:43 AM

Review by HLS:

Overall this medication has been absolutely wonderful. Our 12 year old son was diagnosed at age 7 with ADHD. We did try another medicine, but it stopped working after about 2 years. We have been on the Focalin XR since. Our son takes 25 mg, 2 times daily about 6 hours apart. It has helped a ton. He does have the appetite issue, but we are sustaining it, and when it wears off at nite, he eats great. The mornings are the worst part before the medicine kicks in. Our son has improved so much in school and in his extra curricular activities. He is a total joy when the medication is working. We do try and give him "drug vacations" on the weekends and during the summer which helps maintain his weight.

March 19, 2012 9:30 PM

I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 7. I started with Concerta to treat it but as time went on the side effects and the dosage being 135mg was getting annoying. I have noticed that Focalin XR has fewer side effects than Concerta. Also, I eat a good deal more and I can sleep when taking it. I also read in the comments that the maximum dosage is 20mg? I take 35mg and will probably up my dose. Other than that it is a very good medication.

December 10, 2011 11:30 PM

This has been a God send. I have Executive Functioning issues with possible undiagnosed ADD and I have tried many, many different prescriptions (Adderall, Concerta, Meditate, Vyvanse) and none have worked nearly as well as Focalin. The ones listed above put a lot of load/pressure on my brain. It's hard to explain but it was not pleasant. On Focalin I am much more attentive and there's no body load. Others also cut my appetite significantly and kept me awake at night. While Focalin still cuts my appetite some, I am able to go to sleep when I need too. 10/10 but remember just because it worked for me doesn't mean it's going to for you. I suggest trying them all and seeing which one has the best synergy with your body.

December 3, 2011 5:53 PM

Review by hmawhor:

We started our 10 year old daughter on this medication last year and had terrific results. She doesn't have any behavioral issues at school and never had but did by the time she got home, was so worn out from trying to focus and be good that she was having emotional break downs. We started last year on 5 and after 8 months 10. She is saying she doesn't notice a difference between taking in and not recently so increase to 15. She has been emotional again somedays, but not sure whether that is because she is an 11 year old girl, medication related, or not enough medicine. She has had a problem falling asleep since she was born and last year seemed better after being on medicines, but has come back this year. We give her melatonin occasionally.

November 18, 2011 12:35 PM

My daughter started taking Focalin XR 15mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon. This medicine does not seem to be helping at all and her behavior is worse than ever to the point that we cannot handle her and she almost had to be hospitalized for the second time within a 2 week span.

November 5, 2011 10:23 AM

Our 11 year old son is diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type and has been on this medicine for 14 months now. It made a big difference for him. He is on 15mg Focalin RX. If he doesn't take it for a day, the teacher can really tell the difference. He can focus now and became a part of the class, contributes to the conversation and also has an easier time with his social life. He doesn't hate school anymore. We don't see any behavioral issues at home when it wears off. He has appetite loss, so he eats a big breakfast before he takes the medication. He also got used to eat a sandwiches at school even if he is not hungry. It became a part of his routine.

June 25, 2011 4:39 PM

Review by mother of a wild man:

My 6 yr old son started showing signs of ADHD a year ago. He is in kindergarten and he has 3 types of days green- good, yellow-not the best, red-bad day. Every week he was coming home with 2 yellow days a week for calling out and being disruptive for the last 7 months. He started taking Focalin XR 10mg and has a green day everyday since he started the medication. His teachers say how much better he has been at school and he doesn't run a muck through the house anymore. I'm so happy we found Focalin.

May 14, 2011 10:48 PM

I am a adult, recently diagnosed with ADD. Probably had it my whole life, but now I am doing something about it. My doctor prescribed this medication, and at first, I was so focused and improving my error ratio's at work. The only thing even after increasing my dose, it wears off. By 1:00pm, I am tired and can go to sleep. I think I am going to ask my doctor to give me the non extended so I can take it in the am, and pm. Other than that, it is a great medicine, and I don't have the non-appetite side effect, in fact, it makes me want to eat more.

November 3, 2010 10:16 PM