Generic Name: cranberry (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Generics only. No brands available.
Cranberry is used for:
Urinary tract infections, to decrease odor from loss of bladder control (incontinence), and for kidney stones. It may also have other uses. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Cranberry is an herbal product. It contains a substance that blocks bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall.
Do NOT use cranberry if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in cranberry
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using cranberry:
Some medical conditions may interact with cranberry. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes or a history of kidney stones
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with cranberry. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Warfarin because side effects such as bleeding may be increased by cranberry
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if cranberry may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use cranberry:
Use cranberry as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cranberry may be taken as the juice or as capsules or tablets containing the dried cranberry powder.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking this product is recommended.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss taking a dose of cranberry for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use cranberry.
Important safety information:
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Use a form of cranberry that is sugar-free.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using this product during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using this product, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of cranberry:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the proper use of cranberry. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea.Proper storage of cranberry:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep cranberry out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about cranberry, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cranberry is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take cranberry or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about cranberry. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to cranberry. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using cranberry.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.