Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 8 reviews 29 medications

6.8
Urinary Tract Infection 56 reviews 164 medications

5.6
Bladder Infection 48 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Macrobid reviews 112 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Macrobid

Review by Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking.

April 2, 2015 7:14 AM

Review by Grace2429:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!

March 23, 2015 7:30 AM

Review by Gelly:

For Urinary Tract Infection: My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again.

March 8, 2015 10:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go....

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by Curieuxdelune (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: Third day on it and I feel like I have the flu but without respiratory symptoms. Tired, muscle aches, headache, dizziness, nauseated. Still better than having to pee, painfully, every ten minutes.

March 1, 2015 10:06 PM

Review by Ericaaloveschase:

For Urinary Tract Infection: It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours.

February 28, 2015 9:18 AM

For Bladder Infection: After reading the reviews of Macrobid, I was terrified to take it. As a person with severe acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, I was scared that I would have all these terrible experiences that people were describing. However, all of my doses were taken with a COMPLETE meal and I did not suffer from any side effects except for a slight headache.

February 13, 2015 1:07 PM

Review by Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also.

February 9, 2015 12:59 PM

Review by NannyBooBoo (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: I was prescribed this based on my symptoms and prior to the lab results coming back. My first dose was at 7 pm and the second at 7 am. By lunch the blood in my urine was gone and the pains were subsiding. I took as scheduled with no side effects and when my cultures came back it was confirmed a bladder infection. This medicine is fantastic.

February 2, 2015 8:33 PM

Review by JME momma:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated.

January 19, 2015 5:24 PM

Review by Doglover782:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine.

January 18, 2015 7:55 PM

Review by Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose.

January 18, 2015 6:50 AM

Review by ankegram3:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!

January 11, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by Kera Ann:

For Bladder Infection: At first it wasn't working, but the closer I got to finishing the pills it was clearing up. I made sure I ate before I took the pill to avoid getting sick. It made me extremely sleepy though.

December 7, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by Kbjohnso2:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it.

August 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by Kathy M.M.:

For Bladder Infection: I took Macrobid for two days. By day three I was nauseous, dizzy and had diarrhea. I felt weak and dizzy and almost passes out. My Doctor told me to stop the medication. It turned out that my culture was normal and I didn't need antibiotics! I am now without the meds and I feel like I have a virus!

August 5, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by WhatNicknameIsNotinUse:

For Bladder Infection: I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection on a Friday. I took the first dose that evening after dinner. I woke up Saturday morning feeling fine, took another dose, and it went downhill from there. We went out for breakfast, and the fun began, nausea, chills, etc. I had to go home and get in bed for the remainder of the day. I had a fever of 101.3. I had a terrible headache, joint pain etc. On Sunday, I was so freaked, my husband took me to an urgent care clinic. I was told that it wasn't the Macrobid, but that my bladder infection had become systemic. Baloney. I would wake up and feel fine, take the medication with milk, and whammo! Down for the count. I am now on day 5, and finally went to work today. Totally felt hungover.

July 30, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: Didn't make my bladder infection go away, it hid all of the symptoms however when the prescription was done my infection was still there. I ended up on different antibiotics for 2 weeks.

July 30, 2014 7:06 AM

Review by calaver:

For Bladder Infection: I took this for bladder infection and I got so sick. My body felt weak, my stomach was upset and overall I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. My doctor said it was a side effect and gave me a different antibiotic.

July 25, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by christiebrt:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious.

July 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by MN2:

For Urinary Tract Infection: It worked really well to clear up my urinary tract infection and within a day I had no symptoms; however, I was so tired while I was taking this! I also would get feeling of nausea quite often and occasionally would make me vomit. I took on a full stomach but still got the feelings of nausea and fatigue.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Njcody:

For Bladder Infection: Took this med after pharmacist said to take it with a small snack, I agree with those who say a full meal. I also woke up this morning and threw up, not sure what that was, now I am sleepy and missed a day of work. Antibiotics have not had this affect on me, just hope it gets better. I am also nauseated but trying not to think about it or I maybe visiting the throne.

June 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I only gave it a 7 because I'm on day 3. Dizziness and nausea, be careful driving before you get a feel for what your reaction will be. Everyone is different. The nausea was often minimized by eating decent meal with the meds, BUT it still came back about an hr to 1.5 hrs. The dizziness, I felt like I was drinking, seriously. Hopefully it's all clear when I'm done in 2 days. I was feeling like crap, I wore a T-shirt that I wear to sleep to my evening class today (I'm over 27). Glad I found this site! If you're a female, ensure you don't have Bacterial Vaginitis (bv) because that should be treated as well.

June 9, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by bella-08598459:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I'm on day 3 and the only side effect I have had is itching, everywhere. My urinary tract infection is better but not gone yet.

April 21, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by nique6 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: This is my second time on Macrobid both times given during pregnancy. The first time it made me extremely sick and I took it after a light snack and drank milk. I felt so bad I couldn't stomach taking the pill again. This time around I got a urinary tract infection so bad I was having very bad pains under my ribs so I figured the sickness from the antibiotic was better then the severe pain I was having. I started the meds four days ago now and I feel 100% better! Before every dose I eat a COMPLETE MEAL so that my stomach is coated and I have not had one side effect besides drowsiness which I don't mind as much, but the pain is gone and I am back to my normal self. I am so happy the pills worked so fast and with food leave me perfectly fine.

April 14, 2014 4:17 PM