User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 8 reviews 29 medications

4.8
Summary of Macrobid reviews 98 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Macrobid

Review by Kbjohnso2:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by Kathy M.M.:

For Bladder Infection: I took Macrobid for two days. By day three I was nauseous, dizzy and had diarrhea. I felt weak and dizzy and almost passes out. My Doctor told me to stop the medication. It turned out that my culture was normal and I didn't need antibiotics! I am now without the meds and I feel like I have a virus!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by WhatNicknameIsNotinUse:

For Bladder Infection: I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection on a Friday. I took the first dose that evening after dinner. I woke up Saturday morning feeling fine, took another dose, and it went downhill from there. We went out for breakfast, and the fun began, nausea, chills, etc. I had to go home and get in bed for the remainder of the day. I had a fever of 101.3. I had a terrible headache, joint pain etc. On Sunday, I was so freaked, my husband took me to an urgent care clinic. I was told that it wasn't the Macrobid, but that my bladder infection had become systemic. Baloney. I would wake up and feel fine, take the medication with milk, and whammo! Down for the count. I am now on day 5, and finally went to work today. Totally felt hungover.

July 30, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: Didn't make my bladder infection go away, it hid all of the symptoms however when the prescription was done my infection was still there. I ended up on different antibiotics for 2 weeks.

July 30, 2014 7:06 AM

Review by calaver:

For Bladder Infection: I took this for bladder infection and I got so sick. My body felt weak, my stomach was upset and overall I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. My doctor said it was a side effect and gave me a different antibiotic.

July 25, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by christiebrt:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious.

July 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by MN2:

For Urinary Tract Infection: It worked really well to clear up my urinary tract infection and within a day I had no symptoms; however, I was so tired while I was taking this! I also would get feeling of nausea quite often and occasionally would make me vomit. I took on a full stomach but still got the feelings of nausea and fatigue.

July 21, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Njcody:

For Bladder Infection: Took this med after pharmacist said to take it with a small snack, I agree with those who say a full meal. I also woke up this morning and threw up, not sure what that was, now I am sleepy and missed a day of work. Antibiotics have not had this affect on me, just hope it gets better. I am also nauseated but trying not to think about it or I maybe visiting the throne.

June 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I only gave it a 7 because I'm on day 3. Dizziness and nausea, be careful driving before you get a feel for what your reaction will be. Everyone is different. The nausea was often minimized by eating decent meal with the meds, BUT it still came back about an hr to 1.5 hrs. The dizziness, I felt like I was drinking, seriously. Hopefully it's all clear when I'm done in 2 days. I was feeling like crap, I wore a T-shirt that I wear to sleep to my evening class today (I'm over 27). Glad I found this site! If you're a female, ensure you don't have Bacterial Vaginitis (bv) because that should be treated as well.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by bella-08598459:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I'm on day 3 and the only side effect I have had is itching, everywhere. My urinary tract infection is better but not gone yet.

April 21, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by nique6 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: This is my second time on Macrobid both times given during pregnancy. The first time it made me extremely sick and I took it after a light snack and drank milk. I felt so bad I couldn't stomach taking the pill again. This time around I got a urinary tract infection so bad I was having very bad pains under my ribs so I figured the sickness from the antibiotic was better then the severe pain I was having. I started the meds four days ago now and I feel 100% better! Before every dose I eat a COMPLETE MEAL so that my stomach is coated and I have not had one side effect besides drowsiness which I don't mind as much, but the pain is gone and I am back to my normal self. I am so happy the pills worked so fast and with food leave me perfectly fine.

April 14, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Mrs. Pita Flores:

For Bladder Infection: This medication cleared my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, but left me feeling super sleepy and dizzy! I guess it's a small price to pay for relief. I'm glad I have a few days off work though because I would not be able to work like this.

March 21, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by Alwayssick50198:

For Urinary Tract Infection: For everyone posting bad reviews did any of you take it after eating a complete meal? I made the mistake of taking one before after eating a light snack and I got the fever chills etc. like everyone else, but if I take it after eating a good size meal then I'm fine. DON'T TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH! These antibiotics do work great! Don't let the bad reviews stop you from taking them just do what I said and eat real food and if you still have side effects then call your doctor. But from my experience as long as I eat no problems with them.

January 26, 2014 7:05 AM

Review by lindyloop:

For Bladder Infection: this was extremely effective at treating my UTI but made me feel awful whilst taking it.. was like i had a hangover for days and my urine was bright neon coloured

January 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by mommy2matt (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: Had a severe bladder infection..passing blood clots in my urine, pain, bladder spasms and urinating every 5minutes. I am allergic to sulphur drugs, penicillin, cipro & levaquin, so macrobid is really my only alternative. This is the second time I have taken it, the first time I remember no real side effects, this time I have experienced severe headache after the first 3 pills, then that subsided. Now, on my 12th pill out of 14, I have mild nausea and dizziness and drowsiness...nothing unbearable and definitely better than the pain of the bladder infection. Hopefully, I won't get another bladder infection, but that's wishful thinking, but I won't hesitate to use macrobid again.

January 19, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by LilDee75:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Started this medication yesterday morning. Been feeling nauseous, having chills, fevers, night sweats and bad headaches. About to take my third dose and I'm dreading it.

January 18, 2014 9:20 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Really awful feeling after a day of taking ths felt really down and anxious and totally exhausted

December 20, 2013 10:53 AM

Review by PollyWollyDoodle:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I am currently taking Macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I've been taking it twice a day for going on 4 days now. I was very very leery of this medication, because when I was pregnant 4 years ago, it was prescribed to me for a UTI. I took it and was really ill. I felt like I had the flu...weak, chills, nausea, horrible headaches. My doctor gave it to me and I was scared to take it, but with my last UTI the Cipro didn't knock it out. I'm happy to report that this time, I am doing fine on it. No side effects, but the UTI symptoms are pretty much gone. Make sure you take this ON A FULL STOMACH! Not with a glass of milk, not with a snack, not BEFORE eating...a full stomach!

November 22, 2013 9:38 AM

Review by No more Macro Bid:

For Urinary Tract Infection: First time I took MacroBid for UTI, after a few days I developed flu like symptoms, fever, aches and pains, heart racing, bronchial congestion. After the infection came back I took it again and only one dose brought back all the side effects and more. I went on line to see if I was alone and I am one of many with this reaction and worse. Thank God for the Internet.

November 14, 2013 4:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: This is the first and last time I ever take this drug! After 24 hours of it in my system, I started having flu like symptoms. I could feel my sinuses draining down my throat, I began to have a horrible cough. Granted at first I seemed to be getting better, but by the night of day four, my eyes are all itchy and watery, my nose is constantly running, constantly coughing. Now on day five, I took my last pill. Still feeling like crap, still all the same symptoms from day four. Hoping this goes away soon before I return to the ER once more.

November 4, 2013 6:25 PM

Review by teresa J (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I'm a diabetic and have frequent UTI'S. I have used this drug and after the first dose I have had relief. I'm allergic to EVERYTHING but so far I have had not one side effect.

October 31, 2013 8:35 AM

Review by ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also

October 31, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by Candice Ice:

For Urinary Tract Infection: My urinary tract infection symptoms were not nearly as painful as the side effects of this medicine. It cleared up the UTI in a day but by the second day, it was nausea, extreme fatigue, no appetite, joint and muscle pain, stomach pain and complete weakness, chills and fever. Pharmacist said it was probably the UTI. Now it's day 5 and I'm in agony. Stopping Macrobid and calling the doctor in the morning.

October 13, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by solie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Took this med for 2 days and calling doctor this morning and not taking next pill. I feel worse then, as if I have the flu. Cannot sleep, sweating hot and cold headaches and nauseous even with taking the pill after I eat. This isn't for me at all.

September 25, 2013 7:29 AM

Review by Angie F:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I've never had a reaction to any antibiotics, but this one brought me to the ER. After 24 hours I began feeling flu like symptoms, 48 hours later I had symptoms of bronchitis, after 4 days I was covered in hives. I had assumed that I picked up a virus from the clinic when I went in for the urinary tract infection, so I didn't correlate all my symptoms to reactions from the Macrobid. When I broke out into hives, I finally realized something was going on. After a visit to the ER and steroids, I'm feeling better. It's been 24 hours off the Macrobid, and I can breathe again, flu symptoms gone, and I have my energy back. That was a rough 6 days in bed.

September 11, 2013 10:04 AM