User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Review Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 288 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"The only side effect I had from this medication was diarrhea and frankly I will take that over having to urinate every 10 mins.! It took 3 days to get relief and I may ask for another round just to make sure it's gone since I am going on vacation soon. I realize I had a really bad infection and maybe that's why it didn't work right away. I did not get a yeast infection yet which shocks me because I am diabetic and get everything like that."

cuddleskp (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2015

"Almost died. Severe lung scarring and severe hypoxia. 74% 02 saturation. 3 months of continual oxygen, fortunately I recovered."

Macon2 August 30, 2015

"I have a very very hard time with medicine. Even mild medications have made me extremely sick. I can't tolerate cipro or Bactrim, and easily get utis. I was terrified this time when they gave me macrobid because I'd never had it. Even zpack made me very sick. And then I read these reviews and just cried at the thought of taking it. I went out and bought crackers and sprite, etc. to prepare for what's been described here. Then I took it, and waited. ... and waited.... and waited. Nothing horrible ever happened. It's important to remember that everyone has a different experience. Don't even read these. My main advice w this med is to eat eat eat. If anything happens you feel is weird just ask your Dr. But mostly, relax and trust your Dr."

Et_tu_bladder (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

"This is the third time I have tried Macrobid and the worst. High fever, chills, sweating, nausea, and terrible headache. I spent the whole day and night in bed. This is the very last time I will take this. My doctor did not think this terrible pill would cause a fever in spite of me telling him it did twice before. I told him I am off this pill and now waiting for the culture. I will not ever be taking this again."

Microbad August 28, 2015

"Macrobid take 1 capsule 2x daily for 7 days. I am on day 3, my symptoms of urgent urination with little results, are slowly going away. I still feel very uncomfortable especially in my back. I am noticing an increase of discharge and itchiness with my vagina. Yes, my urine is neon colored, too. Overall, I feel better day by day, I wish this drug would work faster!"

J.D.B. August 6, 2015

"the first night I had a severe headache and very bad nightmares. I even googled if this was a side effect and I saw it was."

2013Meema July 28, 2015

"I have reoccurring utis every couple months and I have taken every antibiotic. Cipro and keflex did not work for me and bactrim I had horrible side effects. Macrobid is the only one to cure my utis every time! Of course it depends on which bacteria is causing yours."

moonmama22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

"I have been prone to uti's for years. I have been put on every antibiotic under the sun. For me, this is the antibiotic I would choose every time because it works and has minimal side effects. The only side effect I have experienced is a headache. I will take a headache any day over horrible bladder infection pain. Also, this antibiotic helps to clear up the infection within the first day of use, which is a plus for me so I am not in pain as long. (I have taken cipro, which made me throw up and cry, bactrum, didnt clear up my infection, and monurol which made me very sick as well.) It is important to remember to make a "pill sandwich" with this antibiotic. You eat a full meal, take the pill, and then eat some snacks after the pill."

Dandy Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"Macrobid has to be the worse medication I have ever took in my life. It should be banned. I got an extreme allergic reaction that lasted at least 1 month. I was put on prednisone and Zyrtec to stop my body from swelling. I had red marks and rashes throughout my body even while on prednisone and Zyrtec after using marcrobid. Initially I placed on marcrobid for a uti. I took all 14 prescribed pills. One week after finishing the macrobid I experienced extreme swelling throughout my body. I feel as if my body still never recovered from the reaction years later. I recommend cipro over macrobid it is dangerous. !!!!!!! And should be banned !!!!"

Do not take macrobid (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I have been taking macrobid for two days now and my UTI feels better but today I woke up with terrible back aches where my kidneys are located and pains on my front sides. I have been so sleepy also today like can't even keep my eyes open with bad headaches."

Mrs. Olvey June 21, 2015

"I was prescribed macrobid for a 3 day course, 2 doses a day. The first day I seemed to be getting better, but then I woke up at 4:15am the morning of the second day with chest pains. Throughout the day I suffered from headaches, chest pains, muscle and joint aches, nausea, dizziness, fever and chills. Now on the third day, and though I'm not feeling as ill anymore, I'm still dealing with chest, back and stomach pains. Can't even tell if treating the UTI because I've been in so much pain. Worst experience I've ever had with antibiotics - would definitely never use macrobid again!"

lhs1995 June 10, 2015

"Rx paperwork does not say Take with Food even tho it is very important to do so. My UTI symptoms were gone after taking the first pill. I only have to take it for 3 days but I am experiencing some side effects. I feel achy and very sleepy. Just have no energy in general. I had diarrhea after the first dose but not terrible. I just don't want to get out of bed. I still rated this med a 10 because it did take away my UTI symptoms almost immediately. Just remember to eat a full meal before each dose and it makes all the difference in the side effects. Two pills to go, I can do this."

Happy_user May 24, 2015

"Taking Macroboid has saved my life! I have been prone to UTIs since I was sexually active and have had bladder infections by whole life. I have tried everything from Cipro (makes my feet swollen) to Bactrum (doesn't cure) amongst many others. I was very surprised by the other reviews so felt the need to write one because it has been the best medication to help prevent me from getting another UTI- as long as I take food with it, I am fine."

Mariemc May 6, 2015

"Developed interstitial lung disease and hypoxia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2015

"I started this medicine for my UTI I always ate a meal with this pill I really did not experience any sickness I was on it for 7 days . I have trouble anxiety but it was not too bad but it seemed like this medicine made me more anxious at times then on my last few days I felt a little weird at times then on my last day taking the medicine I woke up with my throat scratchy then by evening I had a fever and bad chills I didn't take the last pill because I felt so bad my head kinda hurts too I don't know if it's this medicine for sure or if I'm catching a virus"

Ctmrdm28 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Prescribed macrobid for a UTI. I took my first pill last night with rice and bread, felt fine. Woke up this morning to get ready for work and had to sit down in the shower I got so nauseous. Couldn't even finish washing out my shampoo and had to lean over the toilet because I thought I would throw up. Held it in and almost passed out walking back to my bed. Slept another three hours then got up to try to make toast and got too nauseous and dizzy to even wait on the toaster. The UTI already feels much better after one pill but I have never felt so miserable, am missing work, and have called my doctor to try to get off this medication."

Anonymous April 28, 2015

"Started macrobid no rection first day second day felt congested in my chest which was weird by that night I had cold fingers and toes and very sore joints, toes, fingers, ankles and worst of all the knees. Feel really awful have stopped the antibiotic never again. Can't wait to feel normal again"

luckytubs April 27, 2015

"It was 5am in the morning when I first started with the symptoms. My prescription for macrobid was ready by 9:30am . I took my first dose by 10am. By about 1pm I was able to fall asleep since the pain and urgency to run to the bathroom subsided. Thank goodness"

sinceresis April 7, 2015

"On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking."

Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

"Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!"

Grace2429 March 23, 2015

"My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again."

Gelly March 8, 2015

"Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

"I took my first pill of macrobid last night and it caused nausea and it made me exhausted. I noticed when I was nauseous, I felt better if I ate something. It's like I constantly needed something in my stomach, but I felt miserable. I also had chills so I'm guessing I had a fever. I'm about to eat a heavy breakfast and take my next pill, hopefully this second dose goes okay. Otherwise my doctor is getting a phone call first thing Monday morning."

Lauren26 March 7, 2015

"It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours."

Ericaaloveschase February 28, 2015

"Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also."

Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015