User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 302 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"This is about my mom , 6 years ago my mom died because of this medicine , after 2 tablets she went to coma, and after 3 days she's gone . Please don't take this medicine . .."

Mysy January 19, 2016

"I became very ill and had to go to a hospital."

Mambasian January 17, 2016

"After my UTI reoccurred, my doctor prscbd me Macrobid. I took the new antibiotics about 9 days after completing the Cipro antibiotics and I felt better after the 3rd day of using the pills. I did have neon urine which was typical. There was a drastic change with my sleeping pattern, all I wanted to do was sleep. Fatigue was a side effect. I woke up to a headache/unsettled stomach (ate a heavy meal w/ pill) a few times. Now 7 days in, my old symptoms are back up. I didn't drink as much H20 the first few days, but I've since amped the amount of water I intake. I also bought Cranberry pills to hopefully help clear it up. Don't feel like throwing out more cash or another doctors visit."

EV2EB (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"I tried this for a UTI, got sharp pains behind my ribs that come and go all the time. Stopped taking it after two or three days and my UTI came right back. Now on bactrim and have the WORST head aches all day long."

Emmy4559 December 29, 2015

"I tried taking this medicine twice. Both times I could only get to the second or third dose before being affected. It does cure the UTI however, I awoke with a terrible headache and a weird sensation in my eyes. By the second dose this weird sick feeling increased so much that I can only describe it as a poisoned feeling. As I have never been allergic or sensitive to anything I stupidly tryed it again. Same result."

Mary Ann K December 23, 2015

"I read the side effects before taking this medicine, which you should probably never do, but I decided to give it a try anyways. Took one dose and was fine, after the next dose I started feeling not good. Got the chills and a slight fever, and made my already existing anxiety worse. It did however, make the urinary symptoms subside. However, when my original urinary culture returned, no bacteria was found??? needless to say, because of the side effects, I stopped after two doses."

hayck December 20, 2015

"Taken 3 doses of this stuff for UTI It's godawful... I went to work with a boiling forehead and headaches, took some pain pills for the headache but my forehead still felt like it was melting off. Go home, take my third dose, headache comes back and is wicked... my tongue is cramping and my throat feels strange, I'm afraid to fall asleep. Never taking this stuff ever again."

K-li (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"I was prescribed this for a UTI last week. I took my first dose right before bed, and then woke up at 4am with a horrible headache and an extremely stiff neck. The symptoms persisted for two days and it was almost unbearable. I would not take this again if my life depended on it."

Uncomfortable and unhappy December 15, 2015

"I was diagnosed with an antibiotic-resistant UTI in February 2015 and put on macrobid pending IV administration of a carbapenum and after two courses of cipro. I can't say for sure, but strongly suspect, that the macrobid caused an intracranial inflammatory response that precipitated rapid-onset hydrocephalus, for which I required surgical intervention in the form of a shunt. My brain felt hot and swollen, and I developed hideous prickly headaches, a shuffling gait and a tendency to walk into broom closets. When I called my doc and said I thought my brain was being killed by the stuff, she said, so, stop taking it. I'll never know if the macrobid was a cause, an agent, or happenstance, but would strongly urge extreme caution."

Muhair December 13, 2015

"I've had macrobid twice now for UTI and I feel like I'm gonna die, can't take a lot of antibiotics bc I am allergic to penicillin and sulfates. But this medication scares the hell outta me, I'm pregnant and I've stopped taking it for three days and symptoms haven't disappeared"

Dp251 December 2, 2015

"Received Macrobid through IV and RX to go. Took for six days. Felt bad the whole time. Been off for five days now. UTI is back. Cipro has always worked best for me. Will call doctors office tomorrow."

Wanda W (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

"I can't say whether or not this was successful at treating my UTI because I had to stop on the third day. I was experiencing severe side effects, including chest pain and numbness in my hands and arms. Also it was rather expensive, even with my insurance, after I stopped taking it my doctor prescribed Keflex which worked and was only $2.00 a month."

frances123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2015

"I took a dose, felt weird and went to sleep. Took my second dose twelve hrs later and feel so weird. My left eye hurts, my neck hurts. I will not take another dose of this. I am terrified of the side effects I am having from this. Anyone who is considering should think again. Although some people may have a good experience, you never know."

Ref72386 November 20, 2015

"I was diagnosed with a UTI on Friday 11-06-15 and prescribed Cipro, while the urine culture was done. On Monday 11-09-15, the culture showed that Cipro was resistant and I was prescribed Macrobid, since it was sensitive. I have been feeling so tired that I missed 2 days of work from the fatigue and brain fog/confusion. The medication has taken care of the UTI but the side effects were more miserable than the UTI symptoms."

annebeth66 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

"I have been taking micro for 2 1/2 days and I feel worse than the UTI my stomach hurts really bad heartburn is terrible and chest pain very bad gas pains all and all I feel like crap I stopped taking it and let's see if I feel better never again will I take this my neighbor took it and ended up in the hospital almost died"

mikjack (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

"I'm usually skeptical about these posts and the crazy side effects, so I didn't take them seriously when I was prescribed this medication. I only took 3 doses, and although my symptoms are gone, I had the worst splitting headache I've ever had, intense nausea and foggy brain/not feeling myself. I skipped my 4th dose and felt completely better within a few hours. I felt worse on this medication than I ever did with a UTI."

Jenny1234567 October 23, 2015

"After never having even a urine infection in my whole 35 years, after having a baby I got 4 uti's in 7 months. Keflex for the first. That worked well. Macrobid for the others. It does make me a little drowsy and have mild sort of "hallucinations" but it does work for me quite well. After the 2nd dose, all of my symptoms are gone. For me, the benefit outweighs the side effects."

Fellow chronic uti getter (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

"Me and my mom are allergic it! Tung become swollen with trouble breathing!"

Cat54544 October 12, 2015

"I have been suffering on and off with UTIs for about 4 years now (my mother and grandmother are prone to them and I see to have inherited that, unfortunately), and I mean SUFFERING. My symptoms get to the point of missing work and making trips to the ER. This past infection was the first time that I was put on Macrobid and I have nothing more to say than that it is a miracle drug. Within 2 hours of taking the first dose, the urgency of needing to urinate had diminished tenfold. On day two now (fourth dose), and all of the pain is gone. I am on many more medications and the fact that my doctor could find an antibiotic that wouldn't interact with anything I was currently taking (including birth control) was incredible. Will use in the future."

M V October 6, 2015

"Had either a urinary infection or intestinal. New to macrobid, in one day after taking the medicine I ran a 104.7 fever, was nauseous and hurt all over. Ran a fever off and on till I got off the med and started cipro. Began noticing fatigue, brain fog and constant headaches. 10 weeks later I've been diagnosed with hypoxmia and am starting night time oxygen therapy. Already have RA, Sjogrens and Sarcoidosis, didn't need this drug complicating my life. Macrobid should be taken off the market!!!"

Sick in AK (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2015

"was prescribed this medication for a UTI. Never had this pill before. OMG...I was nauseous 24/7 with chest pains and only took it for 3 days!. Also gastro issues and feeling like you are in a fog....I always got CIPRO for this type of E coli infection. Don't know why my doctor gave me this horrible medicine. Called today for different medication because I am not sure if the infection is cleared up. Pain is gone but that is all. Wouldn't recommend this."

mrbsmom October 2, 2015

"Was so traumatized to take this med based on other reviews. I'm 120 and 5"4 and get sick and nauseous from even one tynenol regular strength. I got pedialyte to prepare... Took the pill and waited. And NOTHING happened except my uti going away. Do yourself a favor and don't read the Internet. Trust your dr!"

SDO September 27, 2015

"Just finished 3 days of this for a UTI and though it has worked for the condition I feel terrible ! Feel like I have no energy and like I'm going to pass out. Whole body aches ! Just phoned my chemist who told me this was quite common on this tablet and I should feel normal in a few days. Shame it's my wedding anniversary today as I just want to go to sleep all day. Won't take this one again it's not worth it."

monchetta September 19, 2015

"The only side effect I had from this medication was diarrhea and frankly I will take that over having to urinate every 10 mins.! It took 3 days to get relief and I may ask for another round just to make sure it's gone since I am going on vacation soon. I realize I had a really bad infection and maybe that's why it didn't work right away. I did not get a yeast infection yet which shocks me because I am diabetic and get everything like that."

cuddleskp (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2015

"Almost died. Severe lung scarring and severe hypoxia. 74% 02 saturation. 3 months of continual oxygen, fortunately I recovered."

Macon2 August 30, 2015