User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Review Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I have reoccurring utis every couple months and I have taken every antibiotic. Cipro and keflex did not work for me and bactrim I had horrible side effects. Macrobid is the only one to cure my utis every time! Of course it depends on which bacteria is causing yours."

moonmama22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

"I have been prone to uti's for years. I have been put on every antibiotic under the sun. For me, this is the antibiotic I would choose every time because it works and has minimal side effects. The only side effect I have experienced is a headache. I will take a headache any day over horrible bladder infection pain. Also, this antibiotic helps to clear up the infection within the first day of use, which is a plus for me so I am not in pain as long. (I have taken cipro, which made me throw up and cry, bactrum, didnt clear up my infection, and monurol which made me very sick as well.) It is important to remember to make a "pill sandwich" with this antibiotic. You eat a full meal, take the pill, and then eat some snacks after the pill."

Dandy Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"Macrobid has to be the worse medication I have ever took in my life. It should be banned. I got an extreme allergic reaction that lasted at least 1 month. I was put on prednisone and Zyrtec to stop my body from swelling. I had red marks and rashes throughout my body even while on prednisone and Zyrtec after using marcrobid. Initially I placed on marcrobid for a uti. I took all 14 prescribed pills. One week after finishing the macrobid I experienced extreme swelling throughout my body. I feel as if my body still never recovered from the reaction years later. I recommend cipro over macrobid it is dangerous. !!!!!!! And should be banned !!!!"

Do not take macrobid (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I have been taking macrobid for two days now and my UTI feels better but today I woke up with terrible back aches where my kidneys are located and pains on my front sides. I have been so sleepy also today like can't even keep my eyes open with bad headaches."

Mrs. Olvey June 21, 2015

"I was prescribed macrobid for a 3 day course, 2 doses a day. The first day I seemed to be getting better, but then I woke up at 4:15am the morning of the second day with chest pains. Throughout the day I suffered from headaches, chest pains, muscle and joint aches, nausea, dizziness, fever and chills. Now on the third day, and though I'm not feeling as ill anymore, I'm still dealing with chest, back and stomach pains. Can't even tell if treating the UTI because I've been in so much pain. Worst experience I've ever had with antibiotics - would definitely never use macrobid again!"

lhs1995 June 10, 2015

"Rx paperwork does not say Take with Food even tho it is very important to do so. My UTI symptoms were gone after taking the first pill. I only have to take it for 3 days but I am experiencing some side effects. I feel achy and very sleepy. Just have no energy in general. I had diarrhea after the first dose but not terrible. I just don't want to get out of bed. I still rated this med a 10 because it did take away my UTI symptoms almost immediately. Just remember to eat a full meal before each dose and it makes all the difference in the side effects. Two pills to go, I can do this."

Happy_user May 24, 2015

"Taking Macroboid has saved my life! I have been prone to UTIs since I was sexually active and have had bladder infections by whole life. I have tried everything from Cipro (makes my feet swollen) to Bactrum (doesn't cure) amongst many others. I was very surprised by the other reviews so felt the need to write one because it has been the best medication to help prevent me from getting another UTI- as long as I take food with it, I am fine."

Mariemc May 6, 2015

"Developed interstitial lung disease and hypoxia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2015

"I started this medicine for my UTI I always ate a meal with this pill I really did not experience any sickness I was on it for 7 days . I have trouble anxiety but it was not too bad but it seemed like this medicine made me more anxious at times then on my last few days I felt a little weird at times then on my last day taking the medicine I woke up with my throat scratchy then by evening I had a fever and bad chills I didn't take the last pill because I felt so bad my head kinda hurts too I don't know if it's this medicine for sure or if I'm catching a virus"

Ctmrdm28 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Prescribed macrobid for a UTI. I took my first pill last night with rice and bread, felt fine. Woke up this morning to get ready for work and had to sit down in the shower I got so nauseous. Couldn't even finish washing out my shampoo and had to lean over the toilet because I thought I would throw up. Held it in and almost passed out walking back to my bed. Slept another three hours then got up to try to make toast and got too nauseous and dizzy to even wait on the toaster. The UTI already feels much better after one pill but I have never felt so miserable, am missing work, and have called my doctor to try to get off this medication."

Anonymous April 28, 2015

"Started macrobid no rection first day second day felt congested in my chest which was weird by that night I had cold fingers and toes and very sore joints, toes, fingers, ankles and worst of all the knees. Feel really awful have stopped the antibiotic never again. Can't wait to feel normal again"

luckytubs April 27, 2015

"It was 5am in the morning when I first started with the symptoms. My prescription for macrobid was ready by 9:30am . I took my first dose by 10am. By about 1pm I was able to fall asleep since the pain and urgency to run to the bathroom subsided. Thank goodness"

sinceresis April 7, 2015

"On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking."

Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

"Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!"

Grace2429 March 23, 2015

"My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again."

Gelly March 8, 2015

"Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

"I took my first pill of macrobid last night and it caused nausea and it made me exhausted. I noticed when I was nauseous, I felt better if I ate something. It's like I constantly needed something in my stomach, but I felt miserable. I also had chills so I'm guessing I had a fever. I'm about to eat a heavy breakfast and take my next pill, hopefully this second dose goes okay. Otherwise my doctor is getting a phone call first thing Monday morning."

Lauren26 March 7, 2015

"It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours."

Ericaaloveschase February 28, 2015

"Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also."

Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

"Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated."

JME momma January 19, 2015

"I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine."

Doglover782 January 18, 2015

"It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose."

Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

"Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!"

ankegram3 January 11, 2015

"I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it."

Kbjohnso2 August 25, 2014

"I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious."

christiebrt July 23, 2014