User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Took Macrobid for five days. It caused constant nervousness/jitteriness and I could not sleep. Two days after Macrobid regime was done, my UTI started up again. So much pain and suffering for nothing. What upsets me the most is that I had told the nurse at the clinic that Cipro works for me, and she prescribed Macrobid instead! Some people are worse than useless."

Apple Annie April 27, 2016

"I was wondering why I was so fatigued and now the mystery is solved thanks to this page. It has alleviated the UTI symptoms but from reading through the board, it looks like there are better options."

sullspinn (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"After being diagnosed with a UTI, I was given macrobid 100mg 2xday. The first day was fine. On the second day, I noticed a lot of stomach pain after taking each dose. On the 3rd day, I woke up with a headache, abdominal pain, and a weak and ill feeling. I called my doctor to see if i could get switched to another medication. I felt ill, foggy headed and anxious the rest of that day. I did not like this medication and won't take it again."

Jillybean2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I would not choose this drug again. SEVERE abd pain, i was in clinical on the 3 day of it and i barely could walk, it gets worse when i sat down. The pain is so bad i almost passed out. Do NOT recommend this to any one!!"

RebeccaBecca April 5, 2016

"After day 3, had difficulty swallowing and terrible anxiety badly enough that I couldn't swallow pills or food without regurgitation. I started taking Prilosec thinking acid reflux. Even an Advil pill creeped up my esophagus and lodged into my throat. It went from bad to worse. Was living on a liquid diet. Had to see a Gastro doc and Ear Nose and Throat doc. My throat was scoped, found nothing. 3 days after getting off both Macrobid and Prilosec my symptoms went away. Fourth day off was given a swallow test which I passed. I am now able to eat solid foods without feeling as if I am going to choke to death."

WickedChowdah (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

"terrible pain continuously in shoulder arm neck legs macroBid side effects crying because of severity of pain depressing pain hope i am not permanately damaged bymacroBid will report to GP feelings of DOOM"

trynomore (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

"Took 2 pills...... TWO PILLS!! Spent 3 hours in the ER with rapid heartbeats (over 100), chest tightness, anxiousness and the shakes. Hospital did an array of tests and told me to stop taking...... No sheet. Now the bad news..... Other doctor told me it can take up to a week to get drug out of system...... My advice..... Take one and wait a day or so to see how body responds...... In my case this pill was garbage and dangerous..... I have never had a reaction to a medicine like this...... Stay away from this antibiotic....."

Studad1 March 31, 2016

"I got a UTI maybe a couple days after my cycle ended and was trying to do home remedies, but my boss told me it's better to get antibiotics so I don't end up in the ER. I am on my third day of Macrobid and the only thing it really does is make me feel better, aside from using my energy to help me get better. So I really only feel fatigue, but I drink lots of water or things with Vitamin C, to help as well, and I take the capsule with bread. Other than the fatigue, it's dealing with my UTI so I can't complain."

lululuvscats February 26, 2016

"This drug is going on my "Do Not Prescribe" list. After a day and a half on it, the fatigue was so bad I could barely function. No one claimed to know anything about this side effect, but when I looked it up I kept seeing it happening to users again and again. It helped my UTI, but I couldn't get off the couch. I phoned my doctor and was switched to Cipro. After skipping my evening dose of Macrobid and taking Cipro instead, I felt almost normal the next day. Be very, very cautious about using this drug."

E.C. February 23, 2016

"Took 1 pill woke up with rapid heartbeat 117 , chills, fever, head pressure, blood pressure high and nausea. It's been 4 hrs and heartbeat not back to normal. Beware, this is one bad drug"

horrible February 13, 2016

"Currently on day 4/7 100mg BID. I went from feeling like my back was being ripped open and sobbing until I couldn't anymore from the pain to waking up the next day after my first dose feeling like a new person, this antibiotic is ok in my book! Mild GI issues, decreased appetite, and headaches are my only side effects. Nothing in comparison to what I was feeling before. All antibiotics aren't fun to be on, so keep that in mind before writing scary negative reviews. Hopeful that the Macrobid clears this up."

HNS211 February 13, 2016

"This is about my mom , 6 years ago my mom died because of this medicine , after 2 tablets she went to coma, and after 3 days she's gone . Please don't take this medicine . .."

Mysy January 19, 2016

"I became very ill and had to go to a hospital."

Mambasian January 17, 2016

"After my UTI reoccurred, my doctor prscbd me Macrobid. I took the new antibiotics about 9 days after completing the Cipro antibiotics and I felt better after the 3rd day of using the pills. I did have neon urine which was typical. There was a drastic change with my sleeping pattern, all I wanted to do was sleep. Fatigue was a side effect. I woke up to a headache/unsettled stomach (ate a heavy meal w/ pill) a few times. Now 7 days in, my old symptoms are back up. I didn't drink as much H20 the first few days, but I've since amped the amount of water I intake. I also bought Cranberry pills to hopefully help clear it up. Don't feel like throwing out more cash or another doctors visit."

EV2EB (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"I tried this for a UTI, got sharp pains behind my ribs that come and go all the time. Stopped taking it after two or three days and my UTI came right back. Now on bactrim and have the WORST head aches all day long."

Emmy4559 December 29, 2015

"I tried taking this medicine twice. Both times I could only get to the second or third dose before being affected. It does cure the UTI however, I awoke with a terrible headache and a weird sensation in my eyes. By the second dose this weird sick feeling increased so much that I can only describe it as a poisoned feeling. As I have never been allergic or sensitive to anything I stupidly tryed it again. Same result."

Mary Ann K December 23, 2015

"I read the side effects before taking this medicine, which you should probably never do, but I decided to give it a try anyways. Took one dose and was fine, after the next dose I started feeling not good. Got the chills and a slight fever, and made my already existing anxiety worse. It did however, make the urinary symptoms subside. However, when my original urinary culture returned, no bacteria was found??? needless to say, because of the side effects, I stopped after two doses."

hayck December 20, 2015

"Taken 3 doses of this stuff for UTI It's godawful... I went to work with a boiling forehead and headaches, took some pain pills for the headache but my forehead still felt like it was melting off. Go home, take my third dose, headache comes back and is wicked... my tongue is cramping and my throat feels strange, I'm afraid to fall asleep. Never taking this stuff ever again."

K-li (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"I was prescribed this for a UTI last week. I took my first dose right before bed, and then woke up at 4am with a horrible headache and an extremely stiff neck. The symptoms persisted for two days and it was almost unbearable. I would not take this again if my life depended on it."

Uncomfortable and unhappy December 15, 2015

"I was diagnosed with an antibiotic-resistant UTI in February 2015 and put on macrobid pending IV administration of a carbapenum and after two courses of cipro. I can't say for sure, but strongly suspect, that the macrobid caused an intracranial inflammatory response that precipitated rapid-onset hydrocephalus, for which I required surgical intervention in the form of a shunt. My brain felt hot and swollen, and I developed hideous prickly headaches, a shuffling gait and a tendency to walk into broom closets. When I called my doc and said I thought my brain was being killed by the stuff, she said, so, stop taking it. I'll never know if the macrobid was a cause, an agent, or happenstance, but would strongly urge extreme caution."

Muhair December 13, 2015

"I've had macrobid twice now for UTI and I feel like I'm gonna die, can't take a lot of antibiotics bc I am allergic to penicillin and sulfates. But this medication scares the hell outta me, I'm pregnant and I've stopped taking it for three days and symptoms haven't disappeared"

Dp251 December 2, 2015

"Received Macrobid through IV and RX to go. Took for six days. Felt bad the whole time. Been off for five days now. UTI is back. Cipro has always worked best for me. Will call doctors office tomorrow."

Wanda W (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

"I can't say whether or not this was successful at treating my UTI because I had to stop on the third day. I was experiencing severe side effects, including chest pain and numbness in my hands and arms. Also it was rather expensive, even with my insurance, after I stopped taking it my doctor prescribed Keflex which worked and was only $2.00 a month."

frances123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2015

"I took a dose, felt weird and went to sleep. Took my second dose twelve hrs later and feel so weird. My left eye hurts, my neck hurts. I will not take another dose of this. I am terrified of the side effects I am having from this. Anyone who is considering should think again. Although some people may have a good experience, you never know."

Ref72386 November 20, 2015

"I was diagnosed with a UTI on Friday 11-06-15 and prescribed Cipro, while the urine culture was done. On Monday 11-09-15, the culture showed that Cipro was resistant and I was prescribed Macrobid, since it was sensitive. I have been feeling so tired that I missed 2 days of work from the fatigue and brain fog/confusion. The medication has taken care of the UTI but the side effects were more miserable than the UTI symptoms."

annebeth66 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015