User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Review Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Rx paperwork does not say Take with Food even tho it is very important to do so. My UTI symptoms were gone after taking the first pill. I only have to take it for 3 days but I am experiencing some side effects. I feel achy and very sleepy. Just have no energy in general. I had diarrhea after the first dose but not terrible. I just don't want to get out of bed. I still rated this med a 10 because it did take away my UTI symptoms almost immediately. Just remember to eat a full meal before each dose and it makes all the difference in the side effects. Two pills to go, I can do this."

Happy_user May 24, 2015

"Taking Macroboid has saved my life! I have been prone to UTIs since I was sexually active and have had bladder infections by whole life. I have tried everything from Cipro (makes my feet swollen) to Bactrum (doesn't cure) amongst many others. I was very surprised by the other reviews so felt the need to write one because it has been the best medication to help prevent me from getting another UTI- as long as I take food with it, I am fine."

Mariemc May 6, 2015

"Developed interstitial lung disease and hypoxia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2015

"I started this medicine for my UTI I always ate a meal with this pill I really did not experience any sickness I was on it for 7 days . I have trouble anxiety but it was not too bad but it seemed like this medicine made me more anxious at times then on my last few days I felt a little weird at times then on my last day taking the medicine I woke up with my throat scratchy then by evening I had a fever and bad chills I didn't take the last pill because I felt so bad my head kinda hurts too I don't know if it's this medicine for sure or if I'm catching a virus"

Ctmrdm28 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Prescribed macrobid for a UTI. I took my first pill last night with rice and bread, felt fine. Woke up this morning to get ready for work and had to sit down in the shower I got so nauseous. Couldn't even finish washing out my shampoo and had to lean over the toilet because I thought I would throw up. Held it in and almost passed out walking back to my bed. Slept another three hours then got up to try to make toast and got too nauseous and dizzy to even wait on the toaster. The UTI already feels much better after one pill but I have never felt so miserable, am missing work, and have called my doctor to try to get off this medication."

Anonymous April 28, 2015

"Started macrobid no rection first day second day felt congested in my chest which was weird by that night I had cold fingers and toes and very sore joints, toes, fingers, ankles and worst of all the knees. Feel really awful have stopped the antibiotic never again. Can't wait to feel normal again"

luckytubs April 27, 2015

"It was 5am in the morning when I first started with the symptoms. My prescription for macrobid was ready by 9:30am . I took my first dose by 10am. By about 1pm I was able to fall asleep since the pain and urgency to run to the bathroom subsided. Thank goodness"

sinceresis April 7, 2015

"On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking."

Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

"Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!"

Grace2429 March 23, 2015

"My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again."

Gelly March 8, 2015

"Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

"I took my first pill of macrobid last night and it caused nausea and it made me exhausted. I noticed when I was nauseous, I felt better if I ate something. It's like I constantly needed something in my stomach, but I felt miserable. I also had chills so I'm guessing I had a fever. I'm about to eat a heavy breakfast and take my next pill, hopefully this second dose goes okay. Otherwise my doctor is getting a phone call first thing Monday morning."

Lauren26 March 7, 2015

"It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours."

Ericaaloveschase February 28, 2015

"Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also."

Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

"Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated."

JME momma January 19, 2015

"I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine."

Doglover782 January 18, 2015

"It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose."

Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

"Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!"

ankegram3 January 11, 2015

"I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it."

Kbjohnso2 August 25, 2014

"I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious."

christiebrt July 23, 2014

"It worked really well to clear up my urinary tract infection and within a day I had no symptoms; however, I was so tired while I was taking this! I also would get feeling of nausea quite often and occasionally would make me vomit. I took on a full stomach but still got the feelings of nausea and fatigue."

MN2 July 21, 2014

"I only gave it a 7 because I'm on day 3. Dizziness and nausea, be careful driving before you get a feel for what your reaction will be. Everyone is different. The nausea was often minimized by eating decent meal with the meds, BUT it still came back about an hr to 1.5 hrs. The dizziness, I felt like I was drinking, seriously. Hopefully it's all clear when I'm done in 2 days. I was feeling like crap, I wore a T-shirt that I wear to sleep to my evening class today (I'm over 27). Glad I found this site! If you're a female, ensure you don't have Bacterial Vaginitis (bv) because that should be treated as well."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2014

"I'm on day 3 and the only side effect I have had is itching, everywhere. My urinary tract infection is better but not gone yet."

bella-08598459 April 21, 2014

"This is my second time on Macrobid both times given during pregnancy. The first time it made me extremely sick and I took it after a light snack and drank milk. I felt so bad I couldn't stomach taking the pill again. This time around I got a urinary tract infection so bad I was having very bad pains under my ribs so I figured the sickness from the antibiotic was better then the severe pain I was having. I started the meds four days ago now and I feel 100% better! Before every dose I eat a COMPLETE MEAL so that my stomach is coated and I have not had one side effect besides drowsiness which I don't mind as much, but the pain is gone and I am back to my normal self. I am so happy the pills worked so fast and with food leave me perfectly fine."

nique6 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2014

"For everyone posting bad reviews did any of you take it after eating a complete meal? I made the mistake of taking one before after eating a light snack and I got the fever chills etc. like everyone else, but if I take it after eating a good size meal then I'm fine. DON'T TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH! These antibiotics do work great! Don't let the bad reviews stop you from taking them just do what I said and eat real food and if you still have side effects then call your doctor. But from my experience as long as I eat no problems with them."

Alwayssick50198 January 26, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next