User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid review summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

Review by calaver:

I took this for bladder infection and I got so sick. My body felt weak, my stomach was upset and overall I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. My doctor said it was a side effect and gave me a different antibiotic.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Njcody:

Took this med after pharmacist said to take it with a small snack, I agree with those who say a full meal. I also woke up this morning and threw up, not sure what that was, now I am sleepy and missed a day of work. Antibiotics have not had this affect on me, just hope it gets better. I am also nauseated but trying not to think about it or I maybe visiting the throne.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Mrs. Pita Flores:

This medication cleared my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, but left me feeling super sleepy and dizzy! I guess it's a small price to pay for relief. I'm glad I have a few days off work though because I would not be able to work like this.

March 21, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by lindyloop:

this was extremely effective at treating my UTI but made me feel awful whilst taking it.. was like i had a hangover for days and my urine was bright neon coloured

January 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by mommy2matt (taken for less than 1 month):

Had a severe bladder infection..passing blood clots in my urine, pain, bladder spasms and urinating every 5minutes. I am allergic to sulphur drugs, penicillin, cipro & levaquin, so macrobid is really my only alternative. This is the second time I have taken it, the first time I remember no real side effects, this time I have experienced severe headache after the first 3 pills, then that subsided. Now, on my 12th pill out of 14, I have mild nausea and dizziness and drowsiness...nothing unbearable and definitely better than the pain of the bladder infection. Hopefully, I won't get another bladder infection, but that's wishful thinking, but I won't hesitate to use macrobid again.

January 19, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month):

I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also

October 31, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Was peeing like crazy, approximately every 10 minutes. Decided to see my doctor, she prescribed Macrobid and within a day I can already notice results! I do feel a little queasy after taking this pill but more food always helps. This is the best thing ever! I now don't have to worry if my Co-workers would notice my frequent trips to the washroom, and I don't hurt anymore.

July 17, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by TSIBM:

65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time.

July 12, 2013 8:17 PM

Review by Jackie23his (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (100 mg 1 capsule twice daily for 5 days). I have had a recurring bladder infection since June and it is now Aug 15. The doctor had told me that I having recurring bladder infections so I shouldn't have sex during treatment, another reason because I have a new partner. And my urethra is getting all stressed out and all I need to do is give it a rest and let the antibiotics do its work, and later wait at least a week after the antibiotics to finish to have sex. This way I give it enough time for the urethra to strengthen. Anyhow, I am on my third day of this medication, I noticed it affects my nervous system, I get a lot of panic/anxiety attacks, fatigue and weakness.

August 17, 2012 12:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on my 6th day and it hasn't helped so far.

August 5, 2012 10:40 AM

Great ..years of use.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2012 1:37 AM

Review by brownemoon:

Extreme nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, joint pain and rash.

April 15, 2012 8:17 PM

It cleared up my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, however my doctor prescribed it to me for 2 weeks. Today was the end of the first week and I've experienced a slight shortness of breath, and a bit of weight on my lungs, almost like one feels with bronchitis. I feel as though I must breathe deeply in order to fully expand my lungs and sometimes it causes me to have a dry cough. I think I'll stop taking it before things get worse.

July 11, 2011 9:20 PM

Review by Maralem:

It is a very effective antibiotic, but you really have to take it with a food. It has relieved all the symptoms of my urinary tract infection, but it gives me heart pains and on third day of taking it, I started feeling faint like and thought I almost was going to pass out. I immediately went and bought a Gatorade drink and the electrolytes in the drink helped me feel better. Had to stop taking it.

June 9, 2011 4:23 PM

Abdominal cramps with diarrhea and nausea. Will tough it out this time but if I get another infection will definitely ask for a different antibiotic.

May 21, 2011 11:48 AM

Did not have any signs of a bladder infection. I am 5 weeks pregnant so after a routine urine culture my doctor said I had an infection and prescribed me Macrobid. I have taken it with food, oatmeal to be exact in the mornings. The nausea was so extreme for hours. I'm on day three and hoping I can finish this.

April 27, 2011 10:16 AM

Review by Spankyp:

I didn't even know I had a bladder infection, showed up in urine test. So I guess its working. I do feel tired after working out and exhausted later on in the day. On it for a week, twice a day 100 mg.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2010 10:10 AM

Took for a bladder infection. Felt better after a day or so, but got extremely nauseated, even taking it with a snack. It also makes me so tired, all I want to do is sleep. I have stopped taking it and it feels like I am getting the same symptoms back. I am allergic to sulfa drugs, and this is what Doctor gave me.

August 14, 2010 8:18 PM

My mother, grandmother and I all get frequent urinary tract infections. I felt a terrible one coming and took Macrobid. The discomfort was almost immediately gone. I took it with 2 pieces of toast and had no side effects whatsoever and I am the type of person that usually does.

August 1, 2010 12:21 AM

Review by D Bella:

I took Macrobid for a Bladder infection, no real side effect other then exhausted all the time. Finished the 7 days on the 8th day symptoms were back by the 9th day.

April 12, 2010 9:59 PM

I am prone to UTI's and never had a problem with this drug before. Took my 2 doses on the first day, with what I thought was no problem woke up on day 2 vomiting. Around 11am I tried a piece of toast, and took my 3rd dose with that. I was then okay til about 4:30, when I was sick again. I have skipped doses 4 and 5 and am waiting to hear from the doctor about calling in a different prescription.

January 22, 2010 11:42 AM

I am on my seventh day on Macrobid and still having UTI symptoms. I have nausea, headache, abdominal cramping, irritability, loss of appetite, weakness, joint aches, and tiredness. This is the most ridiculous antibiotic that I've ever taken! It makes me feel like I've been hit by a bus and still doesn't seem like the UTI is better.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2010 11:42 AM

I used Macrobid to clear up a UTI. Worked well for the UTI, but a week or so after I stopped the treatment, I broke out in horrible hives. It's been weeks, but I still have flare ups.

December 30, 2009 10:17 AM

This drug makes me very drowsy, headache, backache, severe nausea even when taken with food. The pain after urination is still there after 4 days on the drug. The only positive thing so far is that I have not gotten a yeast infevtion which was common with other uriniary tract infection drugs.

October 9, 2009 2:22 PM

Review by Outloud3:

Been taking this medication for almost a week. I felt relief almost immediately after taking the medication. Right now, after six days of taking it I'm up with the runs. Ughhhh, stomach cramps, and runny bowel motions.

September 22, 2009 11:40 PM