User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Review Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 67 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

"After taking 2 pills I suddenly experienced chills and fever of 101, and a severe throbbing headache . I called the dr, spoke to the nurse she advised to continue taking . My gut told me not to, later in the evening I developed tingly fingers . I called my dr and he said stop taking I may be having a serum reaction. It's been over 24 hours since I have taken macrobid and still have terrible throbbing headache , upper back ache , and low grade fever. This medication is poison !!! I can't believe it hasn't been banned ! Will pass the word to everyone never to take this horrible drug !"

Jules404081110 July 18, 2015

"My doctor gave me this med 1 pill a day twice a day for 5 days. No sex, no caffeine, drinks lots of water and take it with food. I feel so much better, but while I was taking it I was so tired. Thank God I was on vacation because I did not feel like doing anything or going anywhere.All I want to do was sleep. I am so glad those 5 days are over I feel much better."

mrs.Kim June 30, 2015

"First day worked fine, although will say my pee was neon...wasnt expecting that. Second day however, tired all of the time with a killer headache that doesnt seem to go away and very cold and achey. Good that I can finally sleep after three nights of not being able to (great bank holiday that was) and pain went after the first two tablets were taken. This is the second time ive been on these, would definitely take again."

Anon.. May 6, 2015

"This is the second time I have been prescribed this drug and it has done nothing but prolong my pain. There has to be something better than this for UTI's, it was not a shock for me to see all of the low reviews on it."

NotSoLucky (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

"Haven't had a UTI in probably more than 10 years. Have recently been diagnosed with 2 in the last 3 months. Had Macrobid both times. The first time I ended up with fever and chills, but thought I was unlucky and had picked up a virus. Symptoms went away by the end of the treatment. When UTI came back, I was given the same medication. Within 12 hours of taking the first does, my fever and chills became so bad that I almost went to urgent care. Advil reduced the fever temporarily, but I won't take it again."

WGDMS (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

"Third day on it and I feel like I have the flu but without respiratory symptoms. Tired, muscle aches, headache, dizziness, nauseated. Still better than having to pee, painfully, every ten minutes."

Curieuxdelune (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

"After reading the reviews of Macrobid, I was terrified to take it. As a person with severe acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, I was scared that I would have all these terrible experiences that people were describing. However, all of my doses were taken with a COMPLETE meal and I did not suffer from any side effects except for a slight headache."

Anonymous February 13, 2015

"I was prescribed this based on my symptoms and prior to the lab results coming back. My first dose was at 7 pm and the second at 7 am. By lunch the blood in my urine was gone and the pains were subsiding. I took as scheduled with no side effects and when my cultures came back it was confirmed a bladder infection. This medicine is fantastic."

NannyBooBoo (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

"At first it wasn't working, but the closer I got to finishing the pills it was clearing up. I made sure I ate before I took the pill to avoid getting sick. It made me extremely sleepy though."

Kera Ann December 7, 2014

"I took Macrobid for two days. By day three I was nauseous, dizzy and had diarrhea. I felt weak and dizzy and almost passes out. My Doctor told me to stop the medication. It turned out that my culture was normal and I didn't need antibiotics! I am now without the meds and I feel like I have a virus!"

Kathy M.M. August 5, 2014

"I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection on a Friday. I took the first dose that evening after dinner. I woke up Saturday morning feeling fine, took another dose, and it went downhill from there. We went out for breakfast, and the fun began, nausea, chills, etc. I had to go home and get in bed for the remainder of the day. I had a fever of 101.3. I had a terrible headache, joint pain etc. On Sunday, I was so freaked, my husband took me to an urgent care clinic. I was told that it wasn't the Macrobid, but that my bladder infection had become systemic. Baloney. I would wake up and feel fine, take the medication with milk, and whammo! Down for the count. I am now on day 5, and finally went to work today. Totally felt hungover."

WhatNicknameIsNotinUse July 30, 2014

"Didn't make my bladder infection go away, it hid all of the symptoms however when the prescription was done my infection was still there. I ended up on different antibiotics for 2 weeks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2014

"I took this for bladder infection and I got so sick. My body felt weak, my stomach was upset and overall I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. My doctor said it was a side effect and gave me a different antibiotic."

calaver July 25, 2014

"Took this med after pharmacist said to take it with a small snack, I agree with those who say a full meal. I also woke up this morning and threw up, not sure what that was, now I am sleepy and missed a day of work. Antibiotics have not had this affect on me, just hope it gets better. I am also nauseated but trying not to think about it or I maybe visiting the throne."

Njcody June 30, 2014

"This medication cleared my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, but left me feeling super sleepy and dizzy! I guess it's a small price to pay for relief. I'm glad I have a few days off work though because I would not be able to work like this."

Mrs. Pita Flores March 21, 2014

"this was extremely effective at treating my UTI but made me feel awful whilst taking it.. was like i had a hangover for days and my urine was bright neon coloured"

lindyloop January 22, 2014

"Had a severe bladder infection..passing blood clots in my urine, pain, bladder spasms and urinating every 5minutes. I am allergic to sulphur drugs, penicillin, cipro & levaquin, so macrobid is really my only alternative. This is the second time I have taken it, the first time I remember no real side effects, this time I have experienced severe headache after the first 3 pills, then that subsided. Now, on my 12th pill out of 14, I have mild nausea and dizziness and drowsiness...nothing unbearable and definitely better than the pain of the bladder infection. Hopefully, I won't get another bladder infection, but that's wishful thinking, but I won't hesitate to use macrobid again."

mommy2matt (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2014

"I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also"

ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2013

"Was peeing like crazy, approximately every 10 minutes. Decided to see my doctor, she prescribed Macrobid and within a day I can already notice results! I do feel a little queasy after taking this pill but more food always helps. This is the best thing ever! I now don't have to worry if my Co-workers would notice my frequent trips to the washroom, and I don't hurt anymore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2013

"65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time."

TSIBM July 12, 2013

"Macrobid (100 mg 1 capsule twice daily for 5 days). I have had a recurring bladder infection since June and it is now Aug 15. The doctor had told me that I having recurring bladder infections so I shouldn't have sex during treatment, another reason because I have a new partner. And my urethra is getting all stressed out and all I need to do is give it a rest and let the antibiotics do its work, and later wait at least a week after the antibiotics to finish to have sex. This way I give it enough time for the urethra to strengthen. Anyhow, I am on my third day of this medication, I noticed it affects my nervous system, I get a lot of panic/anxiety attacks, fatigue and weakness. "

Jackie23his (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2012

"I'm on my 6th day and it hasn't helped so far."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2012

"Great ..years of use."

Anonymous May 1, 2012

"Extreme nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, joint pain and rash."

brownemoon April 15, 2012

"It cleared up my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, however my doctor prescribed it to me for 2 weeks. Today was the end of the first week and I've experienced a slight shortness of breath, and a bit of weight on my lungs, almost like one feels with bronchitis. I feel as though I must breathe deeply in order to fully expand my lungs and sometimes it causes me to have a dry cough. I think I'll stop taking it before things get worse."

Anonymous July 11, 2011