User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid review summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

Review by Kera Ann:

At first it wasn't working, but the closer I got to finishing the pills it was clearing up. I made sure I ate before I took the pill to avoid getting sick. It made me extremely sleepy though.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by Kathy M.M.:

I took Macrobid for two days. By day three I was nauseous, dizzy and had diarrhea. I felt weak and dizzy and almost passes out. My Doctor told me to stop the medication. It turned out that my culture was normal and I didn't need antibiotics! I am now without the meds and I feel like I have a virus!

August 5, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by WhatNicknameIsNotinUse:

I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection on a Friday. I took the first dose that evening after dinner. I woke up Saturday morning feeling fine, took another dose, and it went downhill from there. We went out for breakfast, and the fun began, nausea, chills, etc. I had to go home and get in bed for the remainder of the day. I had a fever of 101.3. I had a terrible headache, joint pain etc. On Sunday, I was so freaked, my husband took me to an urgent care clinic. I was told that it wasn't the Macrobid, but that my bladder infection had become systemic. Baloney. I would wake up and feel fine, take the medication with milk, and whammo! Down for the count. I am now on day 5, and finally went to work today. Totally felt hungover.

July 30, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Didn't make my bladder infection go away, it hid all of the symptoms however when the prescription was done my infection was still there. I ended up on different antibiotics for 2 weeks.

July 30, 2014 7:06 AM

Review by calaver:

I took this for bladder infection and I got so sick. My body felt weak, my stomach was upset and overall I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. My doctor said it was a side effect and gave me a different antibiotic.

July 25, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Njcody:

Took this med after pharmacist said to take it with a small snack, I agree with those who say a full meal. I also woke up this morning and threw up, not sure what that was, now I am sleepy and missed a day of work. Antibiotics have not had this affect on me, just hope it gets better. I am also nauseated but trying not to think about it or I maybe visiting the throne.

June 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Mrs. Pita Flores:

This medication cleared my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, but left me feeling super sleepy and dizzy! I guess it's a small price to pay for relief. I'm glad I have a few days off work though because I would not be able to work like this.

March 21, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by lindyloop:

this was extremely effective at treating my UTI but made me feel awful whilst taking it.. was like i had a hangover for days and my urine was bright neon coloured

January 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by mommy2matt (taken for less than 1 month):

Had a severe bladder infection..passing blood clots in my urine, pain, bladder spasms and urinating every 5minutes. I am allergic to sulphur drugs, penicillin, cipro & levaquin, so macrobid is really my only alternative. This is the second time I have taken it, the first time I remember no real side effects, this time I have experienced severe headache after the first 3 pills, then that subsided. Now, on my 12th pill out of 14, I have mild nausea and dizziness and drowsiness...nothing unbearable and definitely better than the pain of the bladder infection. Hopefully, I won't get another bladder infection, but that's wishful thinking, but I won't hesitate to use macrobid again.

January 19, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month):

I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also

October 31, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Was peeing like crazy, approximately every 10 minutes. Decided to see my doctor, she prescribed Macrobid and within a day I can already notice results! I do feel a little queasy after taking this pill but more food always helps. This is the best thing ever! I now don't have to worry if my Co-workers would notice my frequent trips to the washroom, and I don't hurt anymore.

July 17, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by TSIBM:

65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time.

July 12, 2013 8:17 PM

Review by Jackie23his (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (100 mg 1 capsule twice daily for 5 days). I have had a recurring bladder infection since June and it is now Aug 15. The doctor had told me that I having recurring bladder infections so I shouldn't have sex during treatment, another reason because I have a new partner. And my urethra is getting all stressed out and all I need to do is give it a rest and let the antibiotics do its work, and later wait at least a week after the antibiotics to finish to have sex. This way I give it enough time for the urethra to strengthen. Anyhow, I am on my third day of this medication, I noticed it affects my nervous system, I get a lot of panic/anxiety attacks, fatigue and weakness.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2012 12:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on my 6th day and it hasn't helped so far.

August 5, 2012 10:40 AM

Great ..years of use.

May 1, 2012 1:37 AM

Review by brownemoon:

Extreme nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, joint pain and rash.

April 15, 2012 8:17 PM

It cleared up my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, however my doctor prescribed it to me for 2 weeks. Today was the end of the first week and I've experienced a slight shortness of breath, and a bit of weight on my lungs, almost like one feels with bronchitis. I feel as though I must breathe deeply in order to fully expand my lungs and sometimes it causes me to have a dry cough. I think I'll stop taking it before things get worse.

July 11, 2011 9:20 PM

Review by Maralem:

It is a very effective antibiotic, but you really have to take it with a food. It has relieved all the symptoms of my urinary tract infection, but it gives me heart pains and on third day of taking it, I started feeling faint like and thought I almost was going to pass out. I immediately went and bought a Gatorade drink and the electrolytes in the drink helped me feel better. Had to stop taking it.

June 9, 2011 4:23 PM

Abdominal cramps with diarrhea and nausea. Will tough it out this time but if I get another infection will definitely ask for a different antibiotic.

May 21, 2011 11:48 AM

Did not have any signs of a bladder infection. I am 5 weeks pregnant so after a routine urine culture my doctor said I had an infection and prescribed me Macrobid. I have taken it with food, oatmeal to be exact in the mornings. The nausea was so extreme for hours. I'm on day three and hoping I can finish this.

April 27, 2011 10:16 AM

Review by Spankyp:

I didn't even know I had a bladder infection, showed up in urine test. So I guess its working. I do feel tired after working out and exhausted later on in the day. On it for a week, twice a day 100 mg.

September 9, 2010 10:10 AM

Took for a bladder infection. Felt better after a day or so, but got extremely nauseated, even taking it with a snack. It also makes me so tired, all I want to do is sleep. I have stopped taking it and it feels like I am getting the same symptoms back. I am allergic to sulfa drugs, and this is what Doctor gave me.

August 14, 2010 8:18 PM

My mother, grandmother and I all get frequent urinary tract infections. I felt a terrible one coming and took Macrobid. The discomfort was almost immediately gone. I took it with 2 pieces of toast and had no side effects whatsoever and I am the type of person that usually does.

August 1, 2010 12:21 AM

Review by D Bella:

I took Macrobid for a Bladder infection, no real side effect other then exhausted all the time. Finished the 7 days on the 8th day symptoms were back by the 9th day.

April 12, 2010 9:59 PM

I am prone to UTI's and never had a problem with this drug before. Took my 2 doses on the first day, with what I thought was no problem woke up on day 2 vomiting. Around 11am I tried a piece of toast, and took my 3rd dose with that. I was then okay til about 4:30, when I was sick again. I have skipped doses 4 and 5 and am waiting to hear from the doctor about calling in a different prescription.

January 22, 2010 11:42 AM