User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 68 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

"Macrobid has always helped me I have had many bladder infections..I am amazed how many people do not know of the miracle the medication Pyridium is to release bladder pain also I don't know why doctors don't recommend it...but please do know pyridium will not cure but mask the infraction release pain in about 20 min worked for me as needed for over 30 years. "

Good news January 10, 2016

"I took macrobid for two and half days felt sick. Plus I'm scared of anything that poses a risk of side effects that are mile and half long. Macrobid made me so sick that I ended up at the ER with swollen lymph nodes ,stiff neck, nausea migraine that caused eye pain, vomiting, chill I felt poisoned . My sister wanted to stay with us because she was so worried about me. I was sick for three days in bed . Never , ever again I'm only seeing nautropathic doctors and chinese medicine doc unless it is life or death"

1Grace007 January 9, 2016

"Fever chills fatigue headache pounding heartbeat chest pains and ached all over- I will never take this again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"I had a stubborn UTI that was unresponsive to Cipro and starting to show signs of a kidney infection. This drug was a miracle worker. Within 48 hours I finally felt relief after a long, horrible wait of dealing with intense bladder pressure. I ate heavy meals with each pill, did not experience nausea or other GI issues. I was however tired ALL 7 days of this pill. I slept so much, I mean seriously this pill knocked me out. So that is frustrating, but will take fatigue any day over GI symptoms and at the point I started taking this drug I was willing to try anything to get rid of this infection. I was SO miserable. I just finished my last pill and noticed a dry cough with shortness of breath, so that's why I gave it an 8."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

"I suffer with painful bladder syndrome and this medicine I've taken to help prevent me from getting water infections due to the nature of having PBS. I have had water infections while being on this still so was really disappointed and has hit hard. In my experience I don't think these are good for preventing water infections for my individual case."

Lunacat December 26, 2015

"I had an extremely painful bladder infection and this medication worked by day 3. ...........I'm on day 6 now, one more day to go, The only side effect I had was feeling tired and achey but I slept more which helped. Also extreme anxiety from reading the scary reviews on here lol. This medicine saved me from a kidney infection."

deedeeking (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2015

"Please read!!! Presccribed macrobid 100mg for bladder infection. Took the first dose at 5pm after a full meal (on the advise of my Dr who warned slight stomach irritation) around 2 am I woke up vomitting yellow bile which lasted for several hours. I was shaking and sweating and couldn't even keep water down. I'm on my 4th dose and symptoms are subsiding..I feel like I'm going to vomit, have a headache and am extremely dizzy. Please be careful when taking this its like a flu in pill form!"

Am1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

"Be aware. I was prescribed this med both for recurrent UTI's and prophylactic use. After using it for years, I suffered full body toxicity and now have been completely disabled by this medicine. I presented to the ER on several occasions, with burning in my hands and feet, and to my doctor. Nobody made the connection. I kept using the medicine. I am now disabled with severe body wide neuropathy that appears to be permanent. It is a living hell. Beware using this drug long term. It has ruined my life. I am homebound with severe bodywide neuropathic pain and am in "pain management" with no relief"

swim2lakes November 26, 2015

"I have been on macrobid twice for bladder infections. It cleared them up, but the side effects knocked me off my feet for days. Fever of 101 - 102 and flu-like achiness and wicked headaches or the entire time I was on the medication. The first time I took it the doctor said I must have had the flu too. The second time I called him after three days and had him switch me to another antibiotic."

SuzeR22 November 21, 2015

"I took this medicine for a bladder infection and took it for the full five days prescribed. The first day I felt immediate relief and reduced discomfort of about 50%. However with each day that followed my relief did not increase and within 12 hours of completing perscription my symptoms were back by 90%. So either the dose wasn't strong enough (100mg) or the prescription wasn't long enough. No way of knowing if either or both of these conditions were changed I would have experienced more success with this particular antibiotic."

Gaia.M October 24, 2015

"This works fine for me, I'm allergic to most of the antibiotics out there but not this one thankfully. I get uti's frequently, because I always have to be cultured, sometimes that waiting period helps the thing really get going. Normally its a 10 day course... I do not get headaches or any of the side effects others have had. Everybody's body is different, the only way you'll know how you will react is to take it yourself."

mizrob1960 October 17, 2015

"Ive been suffering from UTI's o & off for the last year. During this time I was prescribed a Sulfate antibiotic which I discovered I was allergic to within hours, I developed hives & blisters all over my face & body. So Cipro was prescribed every time for the UTI's that subsequently followed. It seemed it took about 5 days before the symptoms to go away but I never felt fully cured because even though the urgency and burning went away, I was having a hard time holding my urine if I had a close to full or full bladder. Then I would have about 2 weeks of feeling ok only to have the UTI start all over again. I was at my wits end. I was prescribe Macro, I felt relief in 2 hours with absolutely no side effects. I hope this is finally the end!"

HPG October 8, 2015

"Was prescribed this for an e-coli UTI but had never received this in the past. BAD choice of color of pill. It forewarns issues. Had what I thought was the flu this weekend. Twelve hrs then the fever broke. Did know know that flu symtoms could be a side effect. Have had head aches (top of head) since beginning. Now have vaginitis of some ilk. Now don't know what route the Dr will suggest: Worried, in pain, and not sleeping waiting for the dr's office to open. I will always put macrobid in my medical records as an allergy. Took in generic form to keep costs down. Still expensive and now must start over with another drug, delaying both the cure of the UTI and causing the vaginal discharge."

PushawKa (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2015

"Horrible. After two I came down with a fever (102.6) and awful chills. The worst was the body aches - in particular my upper back, My gut told me it was the medicine and not a sudden case of the flu. I went off immediately and within 15 hours felt 100% myself again. Everyone is different and this drug is not for everyone."

Orango (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2015

"I was prescribed this medicine for a bladder infection and would never recommend anyone to take it. Obviously it depends on your body type but I usually have a high tolerance. I'm needing to head to the doctors now because I've been experiencing painful headaches everyday, sharp stomach aches, muscle pain, chills (hot to brutally cold:fever type symptoms), tingling, light headed, nauseous, eye aches, my urine went from neon green to dark brown, and as gross as it is, I haven't been able to take a proper poo but every time I pass gas on the toilet watery diarrhea like stuff comes out and I've seen some blood when I whipped. This medicine definitely didn't go well with me and is a painful experience!"

SandiMacdonald September 10, 2015

"I have had on and off UTI's for about a year now. I am familiar with all kinds of drugs used to treat them. In my experience macrobid sucks as an antibiotic. This time I was prescribed it for 10 days I'm on day 5 and still very uncomfortable. Not to mention I have now started to get a yeast infection from this antibiotic. There goes more money. I don't get any side effects on this at all aside from neon pee. My last experience with macrobid was much the same. I don't want to be uncomfortable for weeks this sucks. Never getting it again. "

Ihatevaginas August 1, 2015

"After taking 2 pills I suddenly experienced chills and fever of 101, and a severe throbbing headache . I called the dr, spoke to the nurse she advised to continue taking . My gut told me not to, later in the evening I developed tingly fingers . I called my dr and he said stop taking I may be having a serum reaction. It's been over 24 hours since I have taken macrobid and still have terrible throbbing headache , upper back ache , and low grade fever. This medication is poison !!! I can't believe it hasn't been banned ! Will pass the word to everyone never to take this horrible drug !"

Jules404081110 July 18, 2015

"My doctor gave me this med 1 pill a day twice a day for 5 days. No sex, no caffeine, drinks lots of water and take it with food. I feel so much better, but while I was taking it I was so tired. Thank God I was on vacation because I did not feel like doing anything or going anywhere.All I want to do was sleep. I am so glad those 5 days are over I feel much better."

mrs.Kim June 30, 2015

"First day worked fine, although will say my pee was neon...wasnt expecting that. Second day however, tired all of the time with a killer headache that doesnt seem to go away and very cold and achey. Good that I can finally sleep after three nights of not being able to (great bank holiday that was) and pain went after the first two tablets were taken. This is the second time ive been on these, would definitely take again."

Anon.. May 6, 2015

"This is the second time I have been prescribed this drug and it has done nothing but prolong my pain. There has to be something better than this for UTI's, it was not a shock for me to see all of the low reviews on it."

NotSoLucky (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

"Haven't had a UTI in probably more than 10 years. Have recently been diagnosed with 2 in the last 3 months. Had Macrobid both times. The first time I ended up with fever and chills, but thought I was unlucky and had picked up a virus. Symptoms went away by the end of the treatment. When UTI came back, I was given the same medication. Within 12 hours of taking the first does, my fever and chills became so bad that I almost went to urgent care. Advil reduced the fever temporarily, but I won't take it again."

WGDMS (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

"Third day on it and I feel like I have the flu but without respiratory symptoms. Tired, muscle aches, headache, dizziness, nauseated. Still better than having to pee, painfully, every ten minutes."

Curieuxdelune (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

"After reading the reviews of Macrobid, I was terrified to take it. As a person with severe acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, I was scared that I would have all these terrible experiences that people were describing. However, all of my doses were taken with a COMPLETE meal and I did not suffer from any side effects except for a slight headache."

Anonymous February 13, 2015

"I was prescribed this based on my symptoms and prior to the lab results coming back. My first dose was at 7 pm and the second at 7 am. By lunch the blood in my urine was gone and the pains were subsiding. I took as scheduled with no side effects and when my cultures came back it was confirmed a bladder infection. This medicine is fantastic."

NannyBooBoo (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

"At first it wasn't working, but the closer I got to finishing the pills it was clearing up. I made sure I ate before I took the pill to avoid getting sick. It made me extremely sleepy though."

Kera Ann December 7, 2014