User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 9 reviews 29 medications

6.5
Urinary Tract Infection 75 reviews 155 medications

5.7
Bladder Infection 54 reviews 66 medications

5.2
Summary of Macrobid reviews 138 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is my second time on Macrobid both times given during pregnancy. The first time it made me extremely sick and I took it after a light snack and drank milk. I felt so bad I couldn't stomach taking the pill again. This time around I got a urinary tract infection so bad I was having very bad pains under my ribs so I figured the sickness from the antibiotic was better then the severe pain I was having. I started the meds four days ago now and I feel 100% better! Before every dose I eat a COMPLETE MEAL so that my stomach is coated and I have not had one side effect besides drowsiness which I don't mind as much, but the pain is gone and I am back to my normal self. I am so happy the pills worked so fast and with food leave me perfectly fine."

nique6 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2014

For Bladder Infection "This medication cleared my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, but left me feeling super sleepy and dizzy! I guess it's a small price to pay for relief. I'm glad I have a few days off work though because I would not be able to work like this."

Mrs. Pita Flores March 21, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection "For everyone posting bad reviews did any of you take it after eating a complete meal? I made the mistake of taking one before after eating a light snack and I got the fever chills etc. like everyone else, but if I take it after eating a good size meal then I'm fine. DON'T TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH! These antibiotics do work great! Don't let the bad reviews stop you from taking them just do what I said and eat real food and if you still have side effects then call your doctor. But from my experience as long as I eat no problems with them."

Alwayssick50198 January 26, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "this was extremely effective at treating my UTI but made me feel awful whilst taking it.. was like i had a hangover for days and my urine was bright neon coloured"

lindyloop January 22, 2014

For Bladder Infection "Had a severe bladder infection..passing blood clots in my urine, pain, bladder spasms and urinating every 5minutes. I am allergic to sulphur drugs, penicillin, cipro & levaquin, so macrobid is really my only alternative. This is the second time I have taken it, the first time I remember no real side effects, this time I have experienced severe headache after the first 3 pills, then that subsided. Now, on my 12th pill out of 14, I have mild nausea and dizziness and drowsiness...nothing unbearable and definitely better than the pain of the bladder infection. Hopefully, I won't get another bladder infection, but that's wishful thinking, but I won't hesitate to use macrobid again."

mommy2matt (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection "Started this medication yesterday morning. Been feeling nauseous, having chills, fevers, night sweats and bad headaches. About to take my third dose and I'm dreading it."

LilDee75 January 18, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection "Really awful feeling after a day of taking ths felt really down and anxious and totally exhausted"

Anonymous December 20, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am currently taking Macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I've been taking it twice a day for going on 4 days now. I was very very leery of this medication, because when I was pregnant 4 years ago, it was prescribed to me for a UTI. I took it and was really ill. I felt like I had the flu...weak, chills, nausea, horrible headaches. My doctor gave it to me and I was scared to take it, but with my last UTI the Cipro didn't knock it out. I'm happy to report that this time, I am doing fine on it. No side effects, but the UTI symptoms are pretty much gone. Make sure you take this ON A FULL STOMACH! Not with a glass of milk, not with a snack, not BEFORE eating...a full stomach!"

PollyWollyDoodle November 22, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "First time I took MacroBid for UTI, after a few days I developed flu like symptoms, fever, aches and pains, heart racing, bronchial congestion. After the infection came back I took it again and only one dose brought back all the side effects and more. I went on line to see if I was alone and I am one of many with this reaction and worse. Thank God for the Internet."

No more Macro Bid November 14, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is the first and last time I ever take this drug! After 24 hours of it in my system, I started having flu like symptoms. I could feel my sinuses draining down my throat, I began to have a horrible cough. Granted at first I seemed to be getting better, but by the night of day four, my eyes are all itchy and watery, my nose is constantly running, constantly coughing. Now on day five, I took my last pill. Still feeling like crap, still all the same symptoms from day four. Hoping this goes away soon before I return to the ER once more."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm a diabetic and have frequent UTI'S. I have used this drug and after the first dose I have had relief. I'm allergic to EVERYTHING but so far I have had not one side effect."

teresa J (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2013

For Bladder Infection "I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also"

ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "My urinary tract infection symptoms were not nearly as painful as the side effects of this medicine. It cleared up the UTI in a day but by the second day, it was nausea, extreme fatigue, no appetite, joint and muscle pain, stomach pain and complete weakness, chills and fever. Pharmacist said it was probably the UTI. Now it's day 5 and I'm in agony. Stopping Macrobid and calling the doctor in the morning."

Candice Ice October 13, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "Took this med for 2 days and calling doctor this morning and not taking next pill. I feel worse then, as if I have the flu. Cannot sleep, sweating hot and cold headaches and nauseous even with taking the pill after I eat. This isn't for me at all."

solie (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've never had a reaction to any antibiotics, but this one brought me to the ER. After 24 hours I began feeling flu like symptoms, 48 hours later I had symptoms of bronchitis, after 4 days I was covered in hives. I had assumed that I picked up a virus from the clinic when I went in for the urinary tract infection, so I didn't correlate all my symptoms to reactions from the Macrobid. When I broke out into hives, I finally realized something was going on. After a visit to the ER and steroids, I'm feeling better. It's been 24 hours off the Macrobid, and I can breathe again, flu symptoms gone, and I have my energy back. That was a rough 6 days in bed."

Angie F September 11, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've been taking Macrobid for urinary tract infections for years with no problem, it always worked really fast. This time I got a severe headache within an hour of taking the first pill, I didn't connect it to the Macrobid and took the second dose which was a big mistake. The headache was like a migraine and took two days to go away. "

kitkat12 September 5, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "This antibiotic is a God send! I am allergic to Penicillins and Sulfas. At first I tried Cipro, it didn't work. I had kidney stones for 8 months, I finally got my second lithotripsy in June for an 8x9mm stone and then my kidney got infected. This is my fourth day on Macrobid and I have had no serious side effects except 1 bout of diarrhea on day 1, which was welcomed compared to the nausea and pain from the infection. Macrobid actually got rid of my nausea!"

Chevol (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2013

For Bladder Infection "Was peeing like crazy, approximately every 10 minutes. Decided to see my doctor, she prescribed Macrobid and within a day I can already notice results! I do feel a little queasy after taking this pill but more food always helps. This is the best thing ever! I now don't have to worry if my Co-workers would notice my frequent trips to the washroom, and I don't hurt anymore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2013

For Bladder Infection "65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time."

TSIBM July 12, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "Luckily had no side effects on this antibiotic. I made sure to take it with a big meal each time though, so that might have helped. I was put on Bactrim for a previous urinary tract infection and it was horrible. Nausea, felt like I had a fever, increased my heart rate etc. I'm glad I found this and hope I can take it again if I get another urinary tract infection. The only thing I noticed was that it brought back a weird cough I usually only get after a bad cold. My doctor calls it a bronchial spasm. It hasn't gone away after having been off the medicine for 3 weeks, but it was so mild compared to when I get it with a cold that I can easily deal with it. "

Anonymous June 2, 2013

For Prevention of Bladder infection "I have had frequently reoccurring urinary tract infections for almost 15 years and tried pretty much every trick out there to prevent them, to no avail. When discussing this with an Ob/Gyn she decided to prescribe Macrobid to be taken on days of intercourse in order to prevent me from getting another infection. I went from getting an infection every couple of months to not having one for a year and a half, until I ran out of the medication. The only side effect was a change in urine color which did not have an effect on my quality of life beyond wearing panty liners as a precautionary measure on days I had taken it to ensure my underwear did not get stained. Taking this to prevent infections was a life changer for me."

AMoonlitStar (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "Doctor prescribed Macrobid for a week for urinary tract infection. It did give me some relief initially however my infection is back. I'm scheduled to see my Dr tomorrow."

hello2013 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I suffer from recurring urinary tract infections and Macrobid has always worked fast and really well. I've noticed after prolonged use though my body has developed a bit of an immunity to it and doesn't work as fast anymore. Also it now gives me yeast infections so I have to try something else."

Katillac (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took Macrobid 100mg about half hour ago and I'm feeling fine, no side effect yet. Hopefully not at all. "

Anonymous December 24, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection "I suffered severe headaches & nausea for hours from the very first dose & every dose thereafter. I would feel faint, overheated, extremely tired; I slept with the windows open and the heat off (it's winter). 4 days of taking Macrobid, I begin to have loose stools & severe muscles aches & neck stiffness. I began to have a sore throat & a dry cough on day 2. After stopping, within 24 hours I begin to itch severely. I've been off of it for 48 hours & I still have a headache & I use Benadryl for the itching. I was given Levaquin in 1 dose, then Macrobid 100 mg 2X a day for 10 days by the ER doctor. But my primary doctor thought it was an overkill and should have used just the Levaquin."

Bumblebees Butterfly (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2012