User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 9 reviews 29 medications

7.1
Urinary Tract Infection 70 reviews 156 medications

5.6
Bladder Infection 53 reviews 67 medications

5.2
Summary of Macrobid reviews 132 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "Really awful feeling after a day of taking ths felt really down and anxious and totally exhausted"

Anonymous December 20, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am currently taking Macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I've been taking it twice a day for going on 4 days now. I was very very leery of this medication, because when I was pregnant 4 years ago, it was prescribed to me for a UTI. I took it and was really ill. I felt like I had the flu...weak, chills, nausea, horrible headaches. My doctor gave it to me and I was scared to take it, but with my last UTI the Cipro didn't knock it out. I'm happy to report that this time, I am doing fine on it. No side effects, but the UTI symptoms are pretty much gone. Make sure you take this ON A FULL STOMACH! Not with a glass of milk, not with a snack, not BEFORE eating...a full stomach!"

PollyWollyDoodle November 22, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "First time I took MacroBid for UTI, after a few days I developed flu like symptoms, fever, aches and pains, heart racing, bronchial congestion. After the infection came back I took it again and only one dose brought back all the side effects and more. I went on line to see if I was alone and I am one of many with this reaction and worse. Thank God for the Internet."

No more Macro Bid November 14, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is the first and last time I ever take this drug! After 24 hours of it in my system, I started having flu like symptoms. I could feel my sinuses draining down my throat, I began to have a horrible cough. Granted at first I seemed to be getting better, but by the night of day four, my eyes are all itchy and watery, my nose is constantly running, constantly coughing. Now on day five, I took my last pill. Still feeling like crap, still all the same symptoms from day four. Hoping this goes away soon before I return to the ER once more."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm a diabetic and have frequent UTI'S. I have used this drug and after the first dose I have had relief. I'm allergic to EVERYTHING but so far I have had not one side effect."

teresa J (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2013

For Bladder Infection "I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also"

ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "My urinary tract infection symptoms were not nearly as painful as the side effects of this medicine. It cleared up the UTI in a day but by the second day, it was nausea, extreme fatigue, no appetite, joint and muscle pain, stomach pain and complete weakness, chills and fever. Pharmacist said it was probably the UTI. Now it's day 5 and I'm in agony. Stopping Macrobid and calling the doctor in the morning."

Candice Ice October 13, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "Took this med for 2 days and calling doctor this morning and not taking next pill. I feel worse then, as if I have the flu. Cannot sleep, sweating hot and cold headaches and nauseous even with taking the pill after I eat. This isn't for me at all."

solie (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've never had a reaction to any antibiotics, but this one brought me to the ER. After 24 hours I began feeling flu like symptoms, 48 hours later I had symptoms of bronchitis, after 4 days I was covered in hives. I had assumed that I picked up a virus from the clinic when I went in for the urinary tract infection, so I didn't correlate all my symptoms to reactions from the Macrobid. When I broke out into hives, I finally realized something was going on. After a visit to the ER and steroids, I'm feeling better. It's been 24 hours off the Macrobid, and I can breathe again, flu symptoms gone, and I have my energy back. That was a rough 6 days in bed."

Angie F September 11, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've been taking Macrobid for urinary tract infections for years with no problem, it always worked really fast. This time I got a severe headache within an hour of taking the first pill, I didn't connect it to the Macrobid and took the second dose which was a big mistake. The headache was like a migraine and took two days to go away. "

kitkat12 September 5, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "This antibiotic is a God send! I am allergic to Penicillins and Sulfas. At first I tried Cipro, it didn't work. I had kidney stones for 8 months, I finally got my second lithotripsy in June for an 8x9mm stone and then my kidney got infected. This is my fourth day on Macrobid and I have had no serious side effects except 1 bout of diarrhea on day 1, which was welcomed compared to the nausea and pain from the infection. Macrobid actually got rid of my nausea!"

Chevol (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2013

For Bladder Infection "Was peeing like crazy, approximately every 10 minutes. Decided to see my doctor, she prescribed Macrobid and within a day I can already notice results! I do feel a little queasy after taking this pill but more food always helps. This is the best thing ever! I now don't have to worry if my Co-workers would notice my frequent trips to the washroom, and I don't hurt anymore."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2013

For Bladder Infection "65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time."

TSIBM July 12, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "Luckily had no side effects on this antibiotic. I made sure to take it with a big meal each time though, so that might have helped. I was put on Bactrim for a previous urinary tract infection and it was horrible. Nausea, felt like I had a fever, increased my heart rate etc. I'm glad I found this and hope I can take it again if I get another urinary tract infection. The only thing I noticed was that it brought back a weird cough I usually only get after a bad cold. My doctor calls it a bronchial spasm. It hasn't gone away after having been off the medicine for 3 weeks, but it was so mild compared to when I get it with a cold that I can easily deal with it. "

Anonymous June 2, 2013

For Prevention of Bladder infection "I have had frequently reoccurring urinary tract infections for almost 15 years and tried pretty much every trick out there to prevent them, to no avail. When discussing this with an Ob/Gyn she decided to prescribe Macrobid to be taken on days of intercourse in order to prevent me from getting another infection. I went from getting an infection every couple of months to not having one for a year and a half, until I ran out of the medication. The only side effect was a change in urine color which did not have an effect on my quality of life beyond wearing panty liners as a precautionary measure on days I had taken it to ensure my underwear did not get stained. Taking this to prevent infections was a life changer for me."

AMoonlitStar (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "Doctor prescribed Macrobid for a week for urinary tract infection. It did give me some relief initially however my infection is back. I'm scheduled to see my Dr tomorrow."

hello2013 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I suffer from recurring urinary tract infections and Macrobid has always worked fast and really well. I've noticed after prolonged use though my body has developed a bit of an immunity to it and doesn't work as fast anymore. Also it now gives me yeast infections so I have to try something else."

Katillac (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took Macrobid 100mg about half hour ago and I'm feeling fine, no side effect yet. Hopefully not at all. "

Anonymous December 24, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection "I suffered severe headaches & nausea for hours from the very first dose & every dose thereafter. I would feel faint, overheated, extremely tired; I slept with the windows open and the heat off (it's winter). 4 days of taking Macrobid, I begin to have loose stools & severe muscles aches & neck stiffness. I began to have a sore throat & a dry cough on day 2. After stopping, within 24 hours I begin to itch severely. I've been off of it for 48 hours & I still have a headache & I use Benadryl for the itching. I was given Levaquin in 1 dose, then Macrobid 100 mg 2X a day for 10 days by the ER doctor. But my primary doctor thought it was an overkill and should have used just the Levaquin."

Bumblebees Butterfly (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took Macrobid for 3 days, I started having muscle aches. Flu like symptoms and stiff neck and nausea."

Anonymous December 1, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection "Day 2 I wondered why my feet were stinging and burning when I got ready to go to bed. Now I notice they are stinging again. I guess three days is enough for me."

Anonymous October 12, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm having an allergic reaction to this right now. I thought I was coming down with the flu but it has to be this medication. I took my last pill two hours ago and waiting for it to get out of my system."

Anonymous September 30, 2012

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have been using Macrobid for a couple of years now. I am allergic to all other medications and therefore this is all I have to work with. It works well, doesn't always work for me. Sometimes I have to take a second week of it. I often feel the same way as others. Headache if I haven't drank enough water, upset stomach if I hadn't ate enough food when taking the pill. It does make me tired as well. I try to eat well when I am on this medication to help with the energy level since I am allergic to caffeine and can't take that path. I think that if you make sure to take the pill with lots of food like they recommend, the nausea isn't that bad. Also, drinking more water then your ever use to, will help with the headaches."

Sebbietash August 24, 2012

For Bladder Infection "Macrobid (100 mg 1 capsule twice daily for 5 days). I have had a recurring bladder infection since June and it is now Aug 15. The doctor had told me that I having recurring bladder infections so I shouldn't have sex during treatment, another reason because I have a new partner. And my urethra is getting all stressed out and all I need to do is give it a rest and let the antibiotics do its work, and later wait at least a week after the antibiotics to finish to have sex. This way I give it enough time for the urethra to strengthen. Anyhow, I am on my third day of this medication, I noticed it affects my nervous system, I get a lot of panic/anxiety attacks, fatigue and weakness. "

Jackie23his (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2012

For Bladder Infection "I'm on my 6th day and it hasn't helped so far."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2012