User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 28 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 211 reviews 174 medications

5.3
Bladder Infection 123 reviews 68 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 362 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have taken this for morgenella morganii infection. I have completed 15 days thrice a day then doctor reduced it to twice and then once a day total 30 days. I am feeling hazy, depressive and pain in my body. Still not fully cured. Side effects are bad."

vishal tyagi February 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was ill and stopped taking them. Couldn't stop vomiting... A few months later I tried again and wasn't as sick so I stuck it out, then they found I still have white blood cells in my urine, so I guess they don't work for me."

Zara's (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Nitrofurantoin for 7 days and while it cleared the UTI I have never felt so ill on it. This was two and a half weeks ago and I suspect the side effects are still around but not as severe. Headaches, flu like feeling and ringing in my ears and chest congestion. I don't feel back to normal. Does anyone know how long it will take to get back to normal? I'm in the UK."

Placiddot February 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Nitrofurantoin SURVIVAL KIT: LUBRICATING EYE DROPS. Eyes will feel like there's sand in them. EAR PLUGS. Everything you hear will irritate you & hurt your ears. DVDs. You won't be doing much but laying in bed. CAFFEINE IN A TABLET: Your head will feel like it's going to explode. This constricts blood vessles. If all this fails, BENADRYL. Sleep it off....ADVANCED SURVIVAL: (not making recommendations. Saying what worked for me) I split my Nitro Caps in half and spread total dose throughout day. Significantly less side-effects. Anything to reduce head pressure. I used a BetaBlocker & caffeine. BENADRYL !!! The Tinnitus & stiff neck will go away. It's a rough ride, but better than needing a kidney transplant. Good luck my friends."

Tyler Durden 1101 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible tablet I have ever taken but cleared it up but on the 3rd day feeling sick from having to dissolve the tablet in a drink and then drinking as I can't seem the swallow it and it dissolves as soon as I put it in my mouth. I wouldn't recommend it as it's the first time ever I've felt so nauseous from taking a UTI tablet as before I was on the capsules and I could swallow them perfectly and didn't feel any nausea."

Amb43 January 24, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I've had a UTI for 2 weeks, treated with two other antibiotics, which did not really work. Last night I suddenly developed fever, chills and body aches, 5 days after the last antibiotic dose. I went to the ER and I was given a Nitrofurantoin pill as soon as blood and urine test were completed. By this morning, not only the fever had gone, but for the first time in two weeks I have no pain, and urine test is totally clear. I hope to avoid side effects, as I need to take it for another 6 days. All I can report is mild tiredness, but I have been tired for the past two weeks, so I cannot attribute this to Nitrofurantoin."

sara70 January 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This is the worst I've felt without being called sick. Headaches, neckache, fatigue, depression while I was taking it. Stopped taking the medication half way through. Now I'm on Cipro. I will NEVER take this medication again. Makes you wonder if there was a trial period before it was put on the market. I'm usually tolerant of medication, and I know I have a high pain threshold, but this was something else. Also makes me wonder about drug manufacturers, especially now with the presidential elections are fast approaching. Most women are the ones experiencing UTI's, and most CEO's who are in charge of these big drug companies are men. Go figure!"

Carolina gal (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is about my mom , 6 years ago my mom died because of this medicine , after 2 tablets she went to coma, and after 3 days she's gone . Please don't take this medicine . .."

Mysy January 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had to stop taking this after day 4 of 7. First time I was prescribed this. I am Allergic to sulfa antibiotics and usually have good results with amoxicillin with no side effects. This drug Gave me headaches, made me tired and experienced the most severe gas pains in my abdomen I've ever had for hours each day. Did help clear the UTI after a few days though. Hopefully 4 days was enough to keep UTI away."

Anonymous447 January 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I became very ill and had to go to a hospital."

Mambasian January 17, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Taken this drug for a suspected UTI - never again will I ever take this! Day 2 of taking 4 a day. I developed bad chills and fever, dizzy and drowsiness - felt like my eyes were rolling. Severe headache, sickness and extreme tiredness, pounding heart and tight chest. Never felt this ill. Obviously I have stopped taking it. I am allergic to trimethoprim too .. In a different way I come out in hives. Think twice about taking this drug.. I feel I have been poisoned. Still feel very ill today."

Fee45 January 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I suffer from recurrent UTI's. As soon as I feel one creeping up I take one of these and the symptoms are much better in a few hours and gone within the day. I take them twice a day for 7 days if I have an infection. No side effects."

Lex09 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "It's day two today and I have been running a high fever, I have the chills, extreme nausea, and I feel dizzy to the point of passing out. My UTI symptoms are still very much there. I've missed three days of work now. I've taken it with a big bowl of soup every time now as well. All I want to do is sleep. I'm pretty sure I slept over ten hours today so far, and I'm starting to get a headache now."

Anonymous January 11, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Macrobid has always helped me I have had many bladder infections..I am amazed how many people do not know of the miracle the medication Pyridium is to release bladder pain also I don't know why doctors don't recommend it...but please do know pyridium will not cure but mask the infraction release pain in about 20 min worked for me as needed for over 30 years. "

Good news January 10, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I had a UTI right after the holidays, I thought too much sugar maybe was contributor. I was given Nitrofurantoin which is Macrobid is what they told me . I was supposed to take it for 3 days at 1 tablet twice a day. I brought it home , and I was scared to take it because I hate antibiotics, I took it for two days, the third day my husband rushed me to the Emergency Dept, I got checked for everything The ER doctor said, that my dizziness, vomiting , fatigue, eye pain. really swollen nodes, light sensitivity, and killer migraine were a side effects of this medicine! I was sick for five days after praying that I wouldn't die...when I read it can make you go blind suddenly, that was it. NO MDs for me , I only go to Chinese med./naturopathic doc end of story."

JJoyous January 10, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Doctor prescribed this antibiotic for me for my UTI, I must say it did take away my UTI painful urination very quickly but after a day of taking it I felt like I had the flu. I was shaking, freezing, very nauseous, bloated, had back pain and extreme gas.I actually thought I was dying. It backed me up so bad I couldnt make a bowel movement for 4 days and had to take a laxative to get everything out of me which made me feel worse. I still have 2 days left of taking it but I think I'm stopping today because I'm in so much pain from this antibiotic. If your doctor prescribes this to you, ask for something else because its god awful."

Angie Eckerstrom (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I took macrobid for two and half days felt sick. Plus I'm scared of anything that poses a risk of side effects that are mile and half long. Macrobid made me so sick that I ended up at the ER with swollen lymph nodes ,stiff neck, nausea migraine that caused eye pain, vomiting, chill I felt poisoned . My sister wanted to stay with us because she was so worried about me. I was sick for three days in bed . Never , ever again I'm only seeing nautropathic doctors and chinese medicine doc unless it is life or death"

1Grace007 January 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took this for a bladder and kidney infection for 7 days, cleared up my infection and offered instant relief after 1 day. I am normally prone to gastro problems with antibiotics but didn't have any problems with thus one. The only side effect was it affected my sleep, after a few hours I'd wake up and couldn't get back to sleep every night while taking it. Also had anxiety dreams which I don't normally have."

Ronnie94 January 7, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "One more day! I hope the infection don't come back, because This antibiotic make me feel so sick, now I'm noticing vaginal discharge, I don't like it at all but Is a side effect, One more day!"

Angiels (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Fever chills fatigue headache pounding heartbeat chest pains and ached all over- I will never take this again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI yesterday afternoon. I took my 1st dose of Nitrofurantoin 100mg twice a day for 10 days this morning at 9 a.m with toast and water. By 11 a.m. I felt really nauseous and dizzy then by 12 I was doubled over in pain from cramping in my belly and pain in my back. I finally am able to eat again at 6:30 p.m. but now I'm terrified to take a second dose at 9 tonight. Its obviously working because my UTI symptoms are gone but I feel like crap just after 1 ."

Heathermay16 January 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I used to have recurrent UTIs (up to 10 a year), and usually I took ciprofloxacin, which almost always gave me yeast infections and an upset stomach. This medication takes longer to cure the UTI, but it hasn't given me side effects. Beware of what everyone says about lung failure though :/ I'm taking a 100mg pill after sex nowadays, when I have more experience with it will share with you"

Martina_yp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I had a stubborn UTI that was unresponsive to Cipro and starting to show signs of a kidney infection. This drug was a miracle worker. Within 48 hours I finally felt relief after a long, horrible wait of dealing with intense bladder pressure. I ate heavy meals with each pill, did not experience nausea or other GI issues. I was however tired ALL 7 days of this pill. I slept so much, I mean seriously this pill knocked me out. So that is frustrating, but will take fatigue any day over GI symptoms and at the point I started taking this drug I was willing to try anything to get rid of this infection. I was SO miserable. I just finished my last pill and noticed a dry cough with shortness of breath, so that's why I gave it an 8."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine to treat a UTI. Although it did cure the UTI, this drug made me so nauseous that I threw up for a week straight. It also made me extremely fatigued. If you have to take this drug, make sure to take it with plenty of food (and avoid food about two hours after taking it). Hope this helps!"

A Bit Iffy December 31, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After my UTI reoccurred, my doctor prscbd me Macrobid. I took the new antibiotics about 9 days after completing the Cipro antibiotics and I felt better after the 3rd day of using the pills. I did have neon urine which was typical. There was a drastic change with my sleeping pattern, all I wanted to do was sleep. Fatigue was a side effect. I woke up to a headache/unsettled stomach (ate a heavy meal w/ pill) a few times. Now 7 days in, my old symptoms are back up. I didn't drink as much H20 the first few days, but I've since amped the amount of water I intake. I also bought Cranberry pills to hopefully help clear it up. Don't feel like throwing out more cash or another doctors visit."

EV2EB (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015