User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 30 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 254 reviews 181 medications

Bladder Infection 139 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 423 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid in a third world country by an urgent care doctor. So I'm not sure if or how it might differ from the US formulation. I experienced absolutely no negative side effects. Not even fatigue. However, the pain and discomfort from the UTI returns right around the time I need to take my next pill (2x daily for 7 days). After I take the pill, the pain goes away. But after finishing all of my prescribed Macrobid, I still have some discomfort so I feel as though it did not clear up the infection."

CH2016123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I took this twice a day for 5 days. Cleared my infection but made me tired, hot, and had shortness of breath the whole time. Had nausea the first two days but that went away. Allergic to sulfa and several other drugs so this was prescribed. While it worked, I don't think I would ASK for this again."

Sterling2001 May 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was told I have a POSSIBLE UTI from my doctor which is very common during pregnancy. I had one with my first child. I started taking this antibiotics yesterday and I was extremely nauseous and fatigued. I am in my second trimester and was over my morning sickness. I eat a full meal and drank plenty of fluids with this antibiotic like your suppose to and I am just miserable..... with this being only a possible diagnosis I think I'm going to stop taking it. It's not even worth this feeling. BLAH!"

Pregger mommy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After taking the first dose I felt relieved, but the side effects are just wooziness, stomach discomfort and some restlessness, but all these stopped after about 30mins. It sure stopped the UTI, but since my own reaction to it was not excessive, I'm OK with it."

Rukevwe May 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My best friend had an anaphlactoid reaction to this medication and died within 7 days. Doctors sent her home from the ER. She had a heart attack within the following 17 hours."

Shouldhavespokenup May 16, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "It works great for the bladder infection, but the only thing..I itch like crazy in my hands first, then feet, my head..I was on them about 3 weeks.call my Dr.she had to stop them. Short term was fine. But over 1 1/2 weeks is when the itching started . Never take them on an empty stomach."

Mstreny (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "After suffering for almost 2 weeks from an undiagnosed uti I was given this antibiotic which, after reading other reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about. It worked quickly for me and although it does have slight side effects it was worth having been as the infection cleared up."

Wilsons lady May 14, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took this drug for 3 days.The infection got better after 2 doses. However, I slowly developed headaches and a little chills on the 2nd day of treatment. Thought I might be getting a bit of flu so I ignored the symptoms and continue my medication. As soon as I took the last dose, my symptoms got worst. I was so weak I could hardly walk. My eyes got blurry and generally nauseous and drowsy. As I type this, I still have all this symptoms with raised heart beat, occasional numbness of my hands and feet. All I want is to sleep but too scared to sleep just in case it got worst. Nonetheless, the medicine does the job as it cleared my infection after two days of taking it but it gave me a bad experience so am not taking this drug again."

pen01 May 11, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After eating food I took one dose, within a few hours force to bed, chills, projectile vomiting and horrible diarrhea, back to bed, chills continued then horrible abdomen pains so bad, I wished to die, so not me. It was impossible to move, by morning, severe headache which lasted many days, pains neck and achilles tendon lasting for days. Unable to eat, slept 12 hours daily for a week. Checking on line I read a report stating these meds should never be given to a woman over age 50..."

barbar jean May 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This is the first time my doctor prescribed this type of medication for my UTI. I have to say this was the best one by far. I had no side effects and I started feeling better after only 2 days."

kristenkayla88 May 9, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Prescribed 150mgs 4 times a day for 7 days. I now have thrush, headache, nausea, still have backache, dry mouth, fatigue & worst of all my words get jumbled when I'm talking. Have 4 doses left to take and feel its too late to swap. I'll never take this again. A dangerous drug. Give me the 3 tablet course next time - works a treat"

Steph h (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Nitrofurantoin for 2 days and had to stop. The dosage was meant to be for a week. I developed a fever, tight sore throat, dry cough, difficulty swallowing, extreme fatigue, nausea, dizziness. I also had neck pain, my skin felt sore when touched. These symptoms are continuing 5 days after I stopped taking the medication. Never again!"

TyaTya (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Severe nausea. Dry heaves and vomiting."

Jo in Azusa May 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Have been on this for 48 hours, have nausea, diarrohea, headache, loss of appetite and feel generally unwell. I still have the original symptoms. The weekend is here, so will stick it out until Monday before ringing GP. Thanks for everyones comments."

Fayesy April 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took Macrobid for five days. It caused constant nervousness/jitteriness and I could not sleep. Two days after Macrobid regime was done, my UTI started up again. So much pain and suffering for nothing. What upsets me the most is that I had told the nurse at the clinic that Cipro works for me, and she prescribed Macrobid instead! Some people are worse than useless."

Apple Annie April 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was wondering why I was so fatigued and now the mystery is solved thanks to this page. It has alleviated the UTI symptoms but from reading through the board, it looks like there are better options."

sullspinn (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After being diagnosed with a UTI, I was given macrobid 100mg 2xday. The first day was fine. On the second day, I noticed a lot of stomach pain after taking each dose. On the 3rd day, I woke up with a headache, abdominal pain, and a weak and ill feeling. I called my doctor to see if i could get switched to another medication. I felt ill, foggy headed and anxious the rest of that day. I did not like this medication and won't take it again."

Jillybean2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Given this for a UTI. This is a horrible drug! I only took 2 pills of this drug when I started getting the shakes and terrible anxiety. Driving home from work, I was literally praying to god to get me home safely because I was shaking with a headache and awful anxiety. Thankfully got home and had to sit down with my head between my legs because I thought I was going to pass out. Spent an entire evening with anxiety and it persisted, to a lesser extent, the next day even off of the drug. Also, did a number on my stomach - lost my appetite, probably due to the anxiety. I think these side effects are common with this drug and very dangerous. My pharmacist wasn't even sure if they still carried it. Take with caution."

Dee4747 April 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 2 doses and woke up in the middle of the night with rapid heart rate, headache, full body muscle spasms. I skipped two doses and the side effects have subsided a little but still sore. Called Dr and was switched to Cipro. I'm allergic to Bactrim which would have been the other option."

Starr21 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "This medication was prescribed to me for a bladder infection. After I took the second dose I woke in the middle of the night with the worst headache I've ever had in my whole life! I literally thought I might have to go into see the doctor. After it subsided I read all the reviews I could about this medication and it side effects. It seemed as though it was starting to work for my bladder infection but the terrible side effects were not worth it. I called my doctor and they prescribed Cipro instead. It took care of my infection with no side effects."

Jor Ethra April 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a terrible time with this drug, the most severe headache I've ever had, very bad nausea and horrible abdominal pain. I had suicidal thoughts, was just a total mess, couldn't sleep or get comfortable. The neck pain was awful. I've never had a bad reaction to any drug before, it was very distressing. Stopped taking it after five doses (with five doses not taken) as I had been in bed for three days since starting it. Should have stopped after first dose but was worried about my UTI not improving. My husband called our doctor as I was too upset to speak and was changed to Cipro - no side effects at all from it."

Rosebud11111111 April 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this medicine after I had side effects to 3 other medicines, I feel sick to my stomach, every bone in my body aches, fever, off balance, only able to work 4hours a day, then I go home to bed. . I'm sticking it out only 2 more days to go, I'm hoping my uti will go away and I will get back to normal again."

lowa April 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug works well unless your uti has resistance to it. My side effects were headache and nausea. Drink lots of water and eat before you take it."

Miss Moneypenny (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was seen yesterday by my g.p and was given nitrofurntoin modified release I am 65yrs have had prolapses surgery have had a prolapsed bladder for 10 yrs I I continue to get uti s I took 1 100mg cap with my evening meal within about about an hour my heart rate was through the roof I had got pain round my chest trouble breathing light flashing in my eyes face and lips swelling I started to drink a lot to try to flush it out but things got worse I went from very hot to very cold when I shut my eye to try to stop the flashing shapes kept rush at me it was awful I have not slept at all and feel so very unwell as if my whole body is shutting down even thought I am still drinking my mouth is very dry at least the body tremors have stopped"

Aveburch April 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Its doesn't work for me at all! no symptoms which was good but took two rounds of this antibiotic and still had uti"

bekah w April 5, 2016