Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 100 reviews 164 medications

5.9
Bladder Infection 80 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 202 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by NotSoLucky (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: This is the second time I have been prescribed this drug and it has done nothing but prolong my pain. There has to be something better than this for UTI's, it was not a shock for me to see all of the low reviews on it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2015 5:02 PM

Review by Catsz:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Yellow neon pee, dizzy, headaches

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 6:36 PM

Review by Stylist CD:

For Bladder Infection: Every single time my doc prescribes this I beg for something different! The side effects for me start right after the first dose and continue to get worse. Extremely nauseated, splitting headache, muscles aching especially in my neck; dizziness loss of appetite and just an all over feeling of being sick! My daughter just came over to help take care of me and just named several other medicines that are very effective for bladder infections without the side effects!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 6:10 PM

Review by Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking.

April 2, 2015 7:14 AM

Review by andrealynnee:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I had flu like symptoms when I first started taking it. Now every morning I'm throwing up. The urinary tract infection is getting better, but this medicine is awful.

March 30, 2015 10:51 AM

Review by paulwg:

For Bladder Infection: I can say this medication hasn't worked for me, I still have the infection after taking the course, plus an extra course. What I did find was I became very dizzy, I got blurred vision, and nauseous, I suffer with vertigo, and this medicine made that worse, also I got constipation and lack of appetite. So it was not a happy experience taking this medicine.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2015 8:49 AM

Review by maryann9746 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Prescribed this medication for urinary tract infection since I had c-diff last year and cannot take the stronger antibiotics right now. Could tell difference in bladder pressure and pain within two days however dealing with the side effect of headache, being sleepy and muscle aches makes me ready to get this all taken.

March 25, 2015 10:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: This medication made me feel awful. I woke up everyday with a bad headache, experienced nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness throughout the week (everyday). I don't think I can finish the full week as I need to resume my life. I wouldn't take this again. However the infection seems to be gone so it worked for that.

March 23, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Grace2429:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!

March 23, 2015 7:30 AM

Review by Gelly:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again.

March 8, 2015 10:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go....

March 8, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by Curieuxdelune (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Third day on it and I feel like I have the flu but without respiratory symptoms. Tired, muscle aches, headache, dizziness, nauseated. Still better than having to pee, painfully, every ten minutes.

March 1, 2015 10:06 PM

Review by Ericaaloveschase:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours.

February 28, 2015 9:18 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: After reading the reviews of Macrobid, I was terrified to take it. As a person with severe acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, I was scared that I would have all these terrible experiences that people were describing. However, all of my doses were taken with a COMPLETE meal and I did not suffer from any side effects except for a slight headache.

February 13, 2015 1:07 PM

Review by Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also.

February 9, 2015 12:59 PM

Review by Poppppp:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I was given Nitrofurantoin as two previous antibiotics hadn't helped to shift my kidney infection. I take 4 a day for 7 days and I'm halfway through my suggested dose. I have improved being on this medication but I can't feel the benefits as the nausea, vomiting and tiredness are too severe too notice the change. I feel constantly sick and occasional vomiting and extremely tired, I think it's the side effects of the tablets. I have barely been out of bed for a week, I hope to pick up soon.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 12:00 PM

Review by NannyBooBoo (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I was prescribed this based on my symptoms and prior to the lab results coming back. My first dose was at 7 pm and the second at 7 am. By lunch the blood in my urine was gone and the pains were subsiding. I took as scheduled with no side effects and when my cultures came back it was confirmed a bladder infection. This medicine is fantastic.

February 2, 2015 8:33 PM

Review by missrk (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I take this medicine for urinary tract infections during pregnancy. I am on it now again for the third time. Take twice a day for seven days. The side effect I get comes right after the first pill. I get flu like symptoms: sore joints, chills, sleepiness and extreme weakness. However, no fever. Took one Tylenol and sweated it out while sleeping woke up better. But, this medicine works really well after the first dosage.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 1:39 PM

Review by JME momma:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated.

January 19, 2015 5:24 PM

Review by Doglover782:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine.

January 18, 2015 7:55 PM

Review by Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose.

January 18, 2015 6:50 AM

Review by ankegram3:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!

January 11, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by A-nonny-mouse (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Very effective antibiotic--cleared symptoms within 24 hours. Side effects are terrible. You will feel like you have the stomach flu or food poisoning--fever, chills, and extreme nausea. I would recommend taking it with a big meal. I feel marginal (not wonderful) eating a big lunch and taking it, but eating a relatively small dinner and taking the pill 3 hours later, I spent the night thinking I had another illness besides the infection. Probably will ask for a different antibiotic if this happens again. Aside from slight nausea, I never react to medications, and this is all new to me.

January 6, 2015 8:12 PM

Review by Arepa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: This is the second time I am taking Nitrofurantoin within a 2 months period. I waited 6 days for the infection to improve by its own but it didn't. The side effects are fast! dizziness, slight headache and nausea (salivating all the time), stomach ache, reflux after eating and sleepiness. However the symptoms of discomfort while urinating also improved really fast. My only advice would be as well to drink lots of water with lime juice (that helped me to control the salivating-nauseous situation) and eat a lot of fresh yogurt to keep under control bowel flora.

December 29, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by sgt_ike (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bladder Infection: It doesn't work for me one bit.

December 15, 2014 11:42 AM