User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 25 reviews 29 medications

7.5
Urinary Tract Infection 133 reviews 153 medications

5.9
Bladder Infection 89 reviews 66 medications

5.1
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 247 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have had on and off UTI's for about a year now. I am familiar with all kinds of drugs used to treat them. In my experience macrobid sucks as an antibiotic. This time I was prescribed it for 10 days I'm on day 5 and still very uncomfortable. Not to mention I have now started to get a yeast infection from this antibiotic. There goes more money. I don't get any side effects on this at all aside from neon pee. My last experience with macrobid was much the same. I don't want to be uncomfortable for weeks this sucks. Never getting it again. "

Ihatevaginas August 1, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "the first night I had a severe headache and very bad nightmares. I even googled if this was a side effect and I saw it was."

2013Meema July 28, 2015

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I had a reaction to this I woke up because I couldn't breath . Had to take my husband give me his inhaler til it was 8 so I could go to our clinic. Next day I felt so sick everything hurt it went away later that day."

Spencelulu July 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking 4 a day for last 6 days, 2 tablets to go. My uti seems better but I have never so tired, aching all over and very thirsty. Also bit depressed and tearful. None of these seem bad enough to tell doctor about. Just hoping that when I finish the course all these symptoms will disappear."

Gingermeggs July 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After taking 2 pills I suddenly experienced chills and fever of 101, and a severe throbbing headache . I called the dr, spoke to the nurse she advised to continue taking . My gut told me not to, later in the evening I developed tingly fingers . I called my dr and he said stop taking I may be having a serum reaction. It's been over 24 hours since I have taken macrobid and still have terrible throbbing headache , upper back ache , and low grade fever. This medication is poison !!! I can't believe it hasn't been banned ! Will pass the word to everyone never to take this horrible drug !"

Jules404081110 July 18, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Works well, no side effects. But make sure you TAKE IT WITH FOOD!! I did not for one of my doses and ended up with stomach cramps and nausea"

JMarieM July 15, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This did NOT suit me I was given 100 mg twice a day. After the first dose, suddenly Blood Pressure and pulse rate shot up in a spike. I have been having high BP and Pulse already. So took those medicines and the parameters came down to normal. Second doze was in the night. It didn't cause that trouble, but after sometime started getting hot flushes. However, I tolerated that. After taking the pill next day after lunch, after say 5 minutes, heart started beating God damn fast, This time the discomfort was 3 times than the previous one. BP and Pulse were even higher. Took the pills for BP, Pulse, and double dose of tranquilizers to slowly pacify the effect. I was about to be taken to ER. Got to discard them"

Mrs Banerjee July 4, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have reoccurring utis every couple months and I have taken every antibiotic. Cipro and keflex did not work for me and bactrim I had horrible side effects. Macrobid is the only one to cure my utis every time! Of course it depends on which bacteria is causing yours."

moonmama22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been prone to uti's for years. I have been put on every antibiotic under the sun. For me, this is the antibiotic I would choose every time because it works and has minimal side effects. The only side effect I have experienced is a headache. I will take a headache any day over horrible bladder infection pain. Also, this antibiotic helps to clear up the infection within the first day of use, which is a plus for me so I am not in pain as long. (I have taken cipro, which made me throw up and cry, bactrum, didnt clear up my infection, and monurol which made me very sick as well.) It is important to remember to make a "pill sandwich" with this antibiotic. You eat a full meal, take the pill, and then eat some snacks after the pill."

Dandy Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "My doctor gave me this med 1 pill a day twice a day for 5 days. No sex, no caffeine, drinks lots of water and take it with food. I feel so much better, but while I was taking it I was so tired. Thank God I was on vacation because I did not feel like doing anything or going anywhere.All I want to do was sleep. I am so glad those 5 days are over I feel much better."

mrs.Kim June 30, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This is terrible drug. I took it for 7 days and after I finished all of it I broke out in a bad rash, had fever, hurt all over. I've been off of it for over a week and had to go to Dr twice. This should be taken off the market. I just hope permanent damage was not done to my organs."

Momma Sue (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid has to be the worse medication I have ever took in my life. It should be banned. I got an extreme allergic reaction that lasted at least 1 month. I was put on prednisone and Zyrtec to stop my body from swelling. I had red marks and rashes throughout my body even while on prednisone and Zyrtec after using marcrobid. Initially I placed on marcrobid for a uti. I took all 14 prescribed pills. One week after finishing the macrobid I experienced extreme swelling throughout my body. I feel as if my body still never recovered from the reaction years later. I recommend cipro over macrobid it is dangerous. !!!!!!! And should be banned !!!!"

Do not take macrobid (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took first pill and symptoms went away. Second pill I started getting tingling and burning in my back 4 hours after taking the medication. Second pill made the back symptoms go away but introduced a intense pressure in my bladder and pelvic area. 4 hours later it went away then the back pains started again, and 10x worse. My spine had sharp spike of pains in it. I was rushed to ER and was told to stay off the pills. They didn't know what caused the reaction (obviously they can't admit it was the pill) and sent me home with some ativan to relax my body. Stopped for 2 days and the spiking pains are still in my back and spine on and off. Also felt weak and lost feelings in my legs. Be careful, if you see symptoms stop right away. Do not risk!"

PillsAreBAD June 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescriped twice a day for 7 days and it started working after the second pill.i can say it has helped the condition greatly but I have been fatigued, sleepy with some backache . Have two days to go and can't wait..it does get the job done so the side effects are worth it"

Uti after turp (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking macrobid for two days now and my UTI feels better but today I woke up with terrible back aches where my kidneys are located and pains on my front sides. I have been so sleepy also today like can't even keep my eyes open with bad headaches."

Mrs. Olvey June 21, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was put on Nitrofurantoin for seven days, taken four pills evenly throughout the day. I haven't finished my course, I have two more days to go but it has worked thus far. Previously, I was put on Trimethoprim for 3 days which I thought was helping my symptoms slightly but now I realize that it was worse medication since it made my backache badly unlike this new medication. The only side affect, I think is that I feel cold or I think I have had hot flushes (which weren't bad since I felt I was blushing throughout my face and it wasn't that hot). My UTI seems to be gone and I can't wait until I am done with this."

Kay0523 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed macrobid for a 3 day course, 2 doses a day. The first day I seemed to be getting better, but then I woke up at 4:15am the morning of the second day with chest pains. Throughout the day I suffered from headaches, chest pains, muscle and joint aches, nausea, dizziness, fever and chills. Now on the third day, and though I'm not feeling as ill anymore, I'm still dealing with chest, back and stomach pains. Can't even tell if treating the UTI because I've been in so much pain. Worst experience I've ever had with antibiotics - would definitely never use macrobid again!"

lhs1995 June 10, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took first pill with no food. No stomach upset. Had mild chills 1st night(10 min) Feeling great on 3rd day. No other side effects."

ullmang (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Day two taking the antibiotic and feeling tired and depressed. My hands feel icy. I missed work because of the depressed and tired feeling. I will never take this drug again. I feel like Ive been poisoned."

mbe June 7, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "Within 2 hours of taking the first dose, I had a persistent out of the blue cough and my lungs were feeling heavy and hurting. It was scary. I called the Dr. next morning and they switched me to Dulfuran I think, I'm picking it up today. I'm NOT dealing with that crazy cough for a whole week. And these other reviews sound like it would only get even worse."

KPtn June 5, 2015

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am extremely sensitive to antibiotic side effects so avoid them whenever possible. Usually I take D-Mannose for Urinary or vaginal (yeast) infections but I was out of it and needed something NOW. Doc called in Macrodantin because I cannot tolerate Cipro or most other ABs. 2nd day on pills and so far zero stomach pain or nausea. I have not noticed a reduction in the pain from the UTI yet so hoping by tonight will see relief. BTW: look up D-mannose. I have used it for over 10 yrs and it has stopped the UTI's and yeast infections if I take it as soon as I feel something. It is a sugar so you can take it every day if needed without any complications. It works by detaching the bacteria from the body. Buy the powder. 2 tsp/day"

MJanine (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I gave this medication a 10 for effectiveness because my UTI symptoms subsided completely after the second dose. I'm still taking this medication and have two and a half days left. Since starting my doses I have experienced nausea, extreme fatigue and muscle weakness, shortness of breath, sensitivity to heat and a loss of appetite. I can't wait till it's over. After reading all the reviews it seems this medication makes everyone sick. It did seem to clear up my UTI, though, which was worse than these symptoms, but not by much."

JJ3 June 2, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on day two of taking this. I have had very mild side affects. Slight headache and sort of feel tired and out of it for a little bit but it seems to go away. I have not had the bad side affects that others have mentioned and always take it with some food and have been drinking lots of water to flush my system out. Everyone is effected differently by meds. If you have not had this antibiotic before then I would not let others reviews scare you. If you have problems after taking it then call and talk to your doctor about it. Even though the pharmacist said I could drink alcohol moderately I plan to stay away as that could aggravate the side affects and it also dehydrates you which will do nothing but aggravate a UTI."

Day Two Taking This (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I have taken nitrofurantoin before from different manufacturer and I've never had symptoms as I have now while taking Macro-bid. I constantly feel nauseous, the temperature keeps rising. I also have symptoms like cold, nose is congested, voice is cracking, chest is heavy and sometimes painful. At times it's hard to breath. However, I felt better after just 1 capsule, so at least the pain of UTI has gone. One problem down and I hope all of the above will disappear as soon as I finish the course."

Ana Karenina (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this for uti and started feeling nauseous after the second tablet by the second day I was vomiting and struggling to keep even fluids down. Was getting cold sweats and just feeling generally unwell. Went back the drs and they changed antibiotic. Also dr retested urine and infection was positive. Didn't do a thing for me just made me feel awful ."

Amy bobs May 27, 2015