Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 96 reviews 164 medications

Bladder Infection 78 reviews 79 medications

5.1
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 196 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by paulwg:

For Bladder Infection: I can say this medication hasn't worked for me, I still have the infection after taking the course, plus an extra course. What I did find was I became very dizzy, I got blurred vision, and nauseous, I suffer with vertigo, and this medicine made that worse, also I got constipation and lack of appetite. So it was not a happy experience taking this medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2015 8:49 AM

Review by maryann9746 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Prescribed this medication for urinary tract infection since I had c-diff last year and cannot take the stronger antibiotics right now. Could tell difference in bladder pressure and pain within two days however dealing with the side effect of headache, being sleepy and muscle aches makes me ready to get this all taken.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2015 10:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: This medication made me feel awful. I woke up everyday with a bad headache, experienced nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness throughout the week (everyday). I don't think I can finish the full week as I need to resume my life. I wouldn't take this again. However the infection seems to be gone so it worked for that.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Grace2429:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 7:30 AM

Review by Gelly:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 10:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go....

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by Curieuxdelune (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Third day on it and I feel like I have the flu but without respiratory symptoms. Tired, muscle aches, headache, dizziness, nauseated. Still better than having to pee, painfully, every ten minutes.

March 1, 2015 10:06 PM

Review by Ericaaloveschase:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2015 9:18 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: After reading the reviews of Macrobid, I was terrified to take it. As a person with severe acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, I was scared that I would have all these terrible experiences that people were describing. However, all of my doses were taken with a COMPLETE meal and I did not suffer from any side effects except for a slight headache.

February 13, 2015 1:07 PM

Review by Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also.

February 9, 2015 12:59 PM

Review by NannyBooBoo (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I was prescribed this based on my symptoms and prior to the lab results coming back. My first dose was at 7 pm and the second at 7 am. By lunch the blood in my urine was gone and the pains were subsiding. I took as scheduled with no side effects and when my cultures came back it was confirmed a bladder infection. This medicine is fantastic.

February 2, 2015 8:33 PM

Review by missrk (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I take this medicine for urinary tract infections during pregnancy. I am on it now again for the third time. Take twice a day for seven days. The side effect I get comes right after the first pill. I get flu like symptoms: sore joints, chills, sleepiness and extreme weakness. However, no fever. Took one Tylenol and sweated it out while sleeping woke up better. But, this medicine works really well after the first dosage.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 1:39 PM

Review by JME momma:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated.

January 19, 2015 5:24 PM

Review by Doglover782:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine.

January 18, 2015 7:55 PM

Review by Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose.

January 18, 2015 6:50 AM

Review by ankegram3:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!

January 11, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by A-nonny-mouse (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Very effective antibiotic--cleared symptoms within 24 hours. Side effects are terrible. You will feel like you have the stomach flu or food poisoning--fever, chills, and extreme nausea. I would recommend taking it with a big meal. I feel marginal (not wonderful) eating a big lunch and taking it, but eating a relatively small dinner and taking the pill 3 hours later, I spent the night thinking I had another illness besides the infection. Probably will ask for a different antibiotic if this happens again. Aside from slight nausea, I never react to medications, and this is all new to me.

January 6, 2015 8:12 PM

Review by Arepa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: This is the second time I am taking Nitrofurantoin within a 2 months period. I waited 6 days for the infection to improve by its own but it didn't. The side effects are fast! dizziness, slight headache and nausea (salivating all the time), stomach ache, reflux after eating and sleepiness. However the symptoms of discomfort while urinating also improved really fast. My only advice would be as well to drink lots of water with lime juice (that helped me to control the salivating-nauseous situation) and eat a lot of fresh yogurt to keep under control bowel flora.

December 29, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by sgt_ike (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bladder Infection: It doesn't work for me one bit.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2014 11:42 AM

Review by Kera Ann:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: At first it wasn't working, but the closer I got to finishing the pills it was clearing up. I made sure I ate before I took the pill to avoid getting sick. It made me extremely sleepy though.

December 7, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by Want a nap (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Taking 100mg 2xs daily for urinary tract infection. On day 5 of 7 with limited side effects. I have a severe allergy to many medications but thankfully no severe reaction to this one. I noticed the nausea is alleviated if you drink a full 8oz glass of water with each dose and continue drinking water throughout the day. I work long hours so not sure if the drowsiness is caused by the medication or not. Some vaginal itching and discomfort but so far no vaginal infection. Doctor recommended I eat yogurt daily while on this medication and I am following doctor's orders! I have felt some dizziness but it isn't constant.

November 5, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Ihatetakingmeds:

For Bladder Infection: First time taking Nitrofurantoin. I have a urinary tract infection about twice a year and have been on a few different things. I can not take sulfur based medicines as they produce a rash and can no longer take Cipro as it has caused panic in me before. I am taking a 10 day course 4 times a day of Nitro. On the positive, I felt almost immediate relief from the urgency of the UTI after taking the first pill. It changes the color of urine to a bright yellow, and from the first urination after taking the Nitro the urgency was gone. This medicine did cause me to feel slightly sick the first few times I took it, and also causes me to be in bed at 8:30 pm every night, other than that works fantastic

October 17, 2014 9:11 AM

Review by welshgirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Very effective antibiotic, but the side-effects are unpleasant. I woke up feeling dizzy and sick every morning. I highly recommend drinking ginger tea to get rid of the nausea, it works a treat!

October 13, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by sick of this:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: After having a lot of urine infections for the past year I am now back on Macrodantin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days makes me feel yak headaches keeps me awake slightly dizzy, feel tired a lot.. Then doctor wants me to take a low dose of it for 6 weeks will keep you posted if it actually works this time. I have my doubts.

September 23, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by Kbjohnso2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it.

August 25, 2014 3:12 PM