User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 25 reviews 29 medications

7.5
Urinary Tract Infection 149 reviews 153 medications

5.9
Bladder Infection 92 reviews 66 medications

5.1
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 266 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "The only side effect I had from this medication was diarrhea and frankly I will take that over having to urinate every 10 mins.! It took 3 days to get relief and I may ask for another round just to make sure it's gone since I am going on vacation soon. I realize I had a really bad infection and maybe that's why it didn't work right away. I did not get a yeast infection yet which shocks me because I am diabetic and get everything like that."

cuddleskp (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Almost died. Severe lung scarring and severe hypoxia. 74% 02 saturation. 3 months of continual oxygen, fortunately I recovered."

Macon2 August 30, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have a very very hard time with medicine. Even mild medications have made me extremely sick. I can't tolerate cipro or Bactrim, and easily get utis. I was terrified this time when they gave me macrobid because I'd never had it. Even zpack made me very sick. And then I read these reviews and just cried at the thought of taking it. I went out and bought crackers and sprite, etc. to prepare for what's been described here. Then I took it, and waited. ... and waited.... and waited. Nothing horrible ever happened. It's important to remember that everyone has a different experience. Don't even read these. My main advice w this med is to eat eat eat. If anything happens you feel is weird just ask your Dr. But mostly, relax and trust your Dr."

Et_tu_bladder (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is the third time I have tried Macrobid and the worst. High fever, chills, sweating, nausea, and terrible headache. I spent the whole day and night in bed. This is the very last time I will take this. My doctor did not think this terrible pill would cause a fever in spite of me telling him it did twice before. I told him I am off this pill and now waiting for the culture. I will not ever be taking this again."

Microbad August 28, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I take this medication with food per the instructions I was given, yet I do experience a very very severe headache with this medication that does not get better with pain medication such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen. I even tried my Sumatriptan that I normally use for migraines hoping it would help but it very sadly did nothing for my headache. The severe headache is the only symptom that is really a big issue for me and otherwise I find this medication very effective. I just wish there was something I could do about the head pain, as it is very difficult to get through the day with a throbbing migraine-like headache that cannot be treated with any type of pain medication."

Holland Avery August 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm I day 6 of this medication. It's pretty good at clearing up the UTI, but it does have some side affects; I've had pain on my left lower stomach towards pelvis for many days off and on. It feels almost like cramps! I also have had a tingling tounge and possible thrush (though hopefully not-symptom haven't progressed). I can't take a lot of abx so I'm thankful that this has worked, but looking forward to being DONE."

Jaycee72 August 24, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Stomach pain, nausea, feel like could get sick, after 3 complete doses, shortness of breath, chest pain."

slacker (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I have taken this medication before for UTI, with no symptoms. This time around I did notice some fatigue and nausea, as well as my urine being very dark in color . The benefit outweighs the side effects, after the second pill I could finally pee without biting down on a towel! I would take this medication again."

Anonymous August 21, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I hope it works for you. For me although it's slightly improved my UTI in three days. I've had headaches, nausea, dizziness, aching bad, neck, shoulders and felt like I had a combination of flu and a hangover. I've also been unable to sleep and had restless legs at night."

Bebe11 August 17, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medication for 7 days. I feel like it cured the UTI but, ached the entire time while taking it. Approximately 3 days ago, had severe pain in my left hip. Hip feels better now but have 4 fingers on right hand that are swollen and feel like an extremely bad sprain. Now having the same pain in my left hand. My neck is stiff and hurting as well as my back. Have to take Ibuprofen around the clock. I am just hoping that the pain will start subsiding now that I have been off the antibiotic for 24 hrs."

Kim - Miserable August 15, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "Weakness and muscle aches"

Fash August 15, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took one dose and I felt nausea the next night I took a second dose and woke out my sleep and my tongue had swollen up. I had to be rushed to the hospital but the UTI went away serious terrible scary situation never again"

Brittany92 August 14, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I don't do the best on any medicine. I've fought UTIs for years. I'm pregnant and was terrified to take another medicine. But UTIs can be serious and the pain I was in was horrific. I'm on 100mg 2x daily for 3 weeks- no issues. Day 4 - Urine is neon but UTI had it discolored anyway. No issues so far. Minimal headache (could be from the other infection I have too) and no discomfort. I'm pleasantly surprised. This is working well for me and my medical needs."

Pleasantly Surprised (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible! I tried this once and it worked Second time allergic reaction 3rd time my Dr prescribed it anyway and I almost died. Woke up after 2nd dose unable to breathe. Fever of 105. Bone and muscle pain. Crushing chest pain. Blue hands. Swollen tongue and face. Rash all over body. This is the worst drug out here. Do not use Macrobid. It's a nightmare!"

blissmamabliss (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Wow! worked great! felt much better overnight."

DaveBC August 11, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "A horrible drug. Macrobid should be banned, I feel weak and I have had two anxiety attacks because of it. I'm super tired and depressed. I am sensitive to antibiotics anyways, I called CVS and they told me to continue it!!! Ummm, hell no! Whether you take it with or without food it is horrible for your body. I felt pins and needles in my back from this on the third night. Buh-bye"

Terri the original terri August 10, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Also want to say, most people are likely to complain than compliment. Reading this beforehand scared me and I was sure I was going to feel worse. Nothing has happened so thought I'd come and let you know. I'm not a one in ten."

5tarflower August 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid take 1 capsule 2x daily for 7 days. I am on day 3, my symptoms of urgent urination with little results, are slowly going away. I still feel very uncomfortable especially in my back. I am noticing an increase of discharge and itchiness with my vagina. Yes, my urine is neon colored, too. Overall, I feel better day by day, I wish this drug would work faster!"

J.D.B. August 6, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I was told to take this four times a day for three days, but after taking just two, I started having side effects. The first day I had to go to bed as I had a throbbing headache, upper stomach pain and feeling sick. I have been advised to carry on taking it and have two tablets left. While on this medication, I have felt so so tired. I have fallen asleep on the sofa midday a few times. Not to mention a constant headache throughout. Neon pee too, which took me by surprise. Cannot wait for this to be out of my system. However, my UTI symptoms have almost gone."

2408Megan August 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have had on and off UTI's for about a year now. I am familiar with all kinds of drugs used to treat them. In my experience macrobid sucks as an antibiotic. This time I was prescribed it for 10 days I'm on day 5 and still very uncomfortable. Not to mention I have now started to get a yeast infection from this antibiotic. There goes more money. I don't get any side effects on this at all aside from neon pee. My last experience with macrobid was much the same. I don't want to be uncomfortable for weeks this sucks. Never getting it again. "

Ihatevaginas August 1, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "the first night I had a severe headache and very bad nightmares. I even googled if this was a side effect and I saw it was."

2013Meema July 28, 2015

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I had a reaction to this I woke up because I couldn't breath . Had to take my husband give me his inhaler til it was 8 so I could go to our clinic. Next day I felt so sick everything hurt it went away later that day."

Spencelulu July 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking 4 a day for last 6 days, 2 tablets to go. My uti seems better but I have never so tired, aching all over and very thirsty. Also bit depressed and tearful. None of these seem bad enough to tell doctor about. Just hoping that when I finish the course all these symptoms will disappear."

Gingermeggs July 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After taking 2 pills I suddenly experienced chills and fever of 101, and a severe throbbing headache . I called the dr, spoke to the nurse she advised to continue taking . My gut told me not to, later in the evening I developed tingly fingers . I called my dr and he said stop taking I may be having a serum reaction. It's been over 24 hours since I have taken macrobid and still have terrible throbbing headache , upper back ache , and low grade fever. This medication is poison !!! I can't believe it hasn't been banned ! Will pass the word to everyone never to take this horrible drug !"

Jules404081110 July 18, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Works well, no side effects. But make sure you TAKE IT WITH FOOD!! I did not for one of my doses and ended up with stomach cramps and nausea"

JMarieM July 15, 2015