User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 80 reviews 159 medications

5.9
Bladder Infection 70 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 172 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by Kbjohnso2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by chris the cougar:

For Bladder Infection: I have given this medication 1 because of the side effects which actually only flared up on my final day of taking them. I felt really ill for about two days which totally knocked me for six. Tiredness, loss of appetite and shaking, later in the day a rash on my legs which was worse on my feet and ankles then my face went a bright red colour. Two days later the rash is still there but starting to fade, next came some tightness in my chest which is easing. As I said these came at the end of the 7 day dosage period so there was no point contacting a doctor, so I'm just riding it out. Hope they clear the infection.

August 25, 2014 8:07 AM

Review by Malian:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Dr gave me Cipro 500 for 7 days. Didn't work, took this but make sure you take it with a FULL MEAL! Or the headaches are Awful! Works pretty decent. Been getting urinary tract infections for 4 years. Premenopause so been on Estrace. Hope this works.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Danmaid Crispen:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Nitrofurantoin after trying all antibiotics it became the best antibiotic for my long standing re-occurring urinary tract infection. Within 4 days of taking the dose this antibiotic straight away it changed my life.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Kathy M.M.:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I took Macrobid for two days. By day three I was nauseous, dizzy and had diarrhea. I felt weak and dizzy and almost passes out. My Doctor told me to stop the medication. It turned out that my culture was normal and I didn't need antibiotics! I am now without the meds and I feel like I have a virus!

August 5, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by WhatNicknameIsNotinUse:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection on a Friday. I took the first dose that evening after dinner. I woke up Saturday morning feeling fine, took another dose, and it went downhill from there. We went out for breakfast, and the fun began, nausea, chills, etc. I had to go home and get in bed for the remainder of the day. I had a fever of 101.3. I had a terrible headache, joint pain etc. On Sunday, I was so freaked, my husband took me to an urgent care clinic. I was told that it wasn't the Macrobid, but that my bladder infection had become systemic. Baloney. I would wake up and feel fine, take the medication with milk, and whammo! Down for the count. I am now on day 5, and finally went to work today. Totally felt hungover.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by SpeedQueen:

For Bladder Infection: Only negative experiences I've had with this medication are drowsiness (not really an issue if only taking at night as a preventative )and one time I forgot about the avoid alcohol thing and had one drink. I got the worst indigestion and nausea ever and it lasted for days. Otherwise a great medication that gets rid of the urinary tract infection as a treatment and has been wonderful as a prophylaxis to keep UTI's at bay.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Didn't make my bladder infection go away, it hid all of the symptoms however when the prescription was done my infection was still there. I ended up on different antibiotics for 2 weeks.

July 30, 2014 7:06 AM

Review by calaver:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I took this for bladder infection and I got so sick. My body felt weak, my stomach was upset and overall I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. My doctor said it was a side effect and gave me a different antibiotic.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by christiebrt:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious.

July 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by Lcsx (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: Prescribed 7 day course four times a day as allergic to penicillin. Had general feeling sick but wasn't too bad, was soothing symptoms quickly but had to stop after two days as got severe headache. Never had a headache like it before, was an awful awful pain. Pain in head was still severe even after a day without taking anymore tablets.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:07 AM

Review by MN2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: It worked really well to clear up my urinary tract infection and within a day I had no symptoms; however, I was so tired while I was taking this! I also would get feeling of nausea quite often and occasionally would make me vomit. I took on a full stomach but still got the feelings of nausea and fatigue.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Njcody:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Took this med after pharmacist said to take it with a small snack, I agree with those who say a full meal. I also woke up this morning and threw up, not sure what that was, now I am sleepy and missed a day of work. Antibiotics have not had this affect on me, just hope it gets better. I am also nauseated but trying not to think about it or I maybe visiting the throne.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Dani11 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I used to use nitrofurantonin when I would get recurrent urinary tract infection as a low dose and that seemed to work well. I hadn't had a UTI in 7 years then got one. Doc prescribed nitrofurantonin and after 3 pills my symptoms were worse. Usually when I get antibiotics for a UTI my symptoms stop almost immediately so I knew they weren't working. Doc then prescribed Bactrim and I felt better within hours. I must have a nitrofurantonin resistance from taking the so much? My side effect was I was very tired. I could have slept all day.

June 11, 2014 12:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I only gave it a 7 because I'm on day 3. Dizziness and nausea, be careful driving before you get a feel for what your reaction will be. Everyone is different. The nausea was often minimized by eating decent meal with the meds, BUT it still came back about an hr to 1.5 hrs. The dizziness, I felt like I was drinking, seriously. Hopefully it's all clear when I'm done in 2 days. I was feeling like crap, I wore a T-shirt that I wear to sleep to my evening class today (I'm over 27). Glad I found this site! If you're a female, ensure you don't have Bacterial Vaginitis (bv) because that should be treated as well.

June 9, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by Iseult:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I was given nitrofurantoin for cystitis many years ago and while it cleared the infection it also made me very nauseous and weak. This time, however, I was prescribed it in the form of Macrodantin capsules and I had no side effects whatsoever. Because of my previous experience I was really quite scared to take it, but began with half the dose prescribed just to see how I'd feel. When I didn't feel sick after the first couple of half-doses I upped it to the full dose and was fine, no nausea at all or any other side effects. I took it with meals, but not always with a full meal, sometimes only with a snack, but it still didn't make me feel sick. I suppose the lesson learned from reading all these posts is that we're all different.

June 3, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by Pixie Girl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I'm taking nifurantoin (Macrobid) 100mg, currently on day 4 of 7 for urinary tract infection (UTI). My urinary tract infection was more than painful pee - I had the whole set of flu-like symptoms like chills, nausea, aches and of course, painful pee and blood in the urine. I would say about 80% of my symptoms - especially the pain! - was gone within 24 hours and the only thing I feel now is a bit of itchiness in the urethra when I pee. No big deal. On the down side, I am VERY tired (day 2 was the worst, felt like I was 90 years old), a bit dizzy, certainly nauseous, I feel like I have to breathe really hard and muscle pain. Overall, very effective for treating urinary tract infection but I feel like crap and I can't wait to finish the 7-day course.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by tw_IL (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Prevention of Bladder infection: In college I started getting urinary tract infections fairly frequently. Finally, after a handful of UTIs (treated with Cipro-allergic to Sulfa medicines), the doctor referred me to a urologist who placed me on Nitrofurantoin. I was initially taking it every day, then just after sex or other situations which increased the likelihood of developing a UTI, and eventually I stopped taking it altogether because it had been about 5 years since I had a UTI. Well, I woke up around 4am today with the all-too-familiar urgent need to pee. By the time I had finished showering I was fairly certain I was developing a UTI. I happened to still have some Nitrofurantoin on hand, I took a pill before work and my symptoms were gone in a matter of hours. No side effects. Yay!

May 8, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by Meikelwein (taken for less than 1 month):

Furadantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I have Diabetes, and get frequent bladder infections. This medicine has always given me a quick relief of the symptoms.

May 1, 2014 8:12 AM

Review by bella-08598459:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I'm on day 3 and the only side effect I have had is itching, everywhere. My urinary tract infection is better but not gone yet.

April 21, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by nique6 (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This is my second time on Macrobid both times given during pregnancy. The first time it made me extremely sick and I took it after a light snack and drank milk. I felt so bad I couldn't stomach taking the pill again. This time around I got a urinary tract infection so bad I was having very bad pains under my ribs so I figured the sickness from the antibiotic was better then the severe pain I was having. I started the meds four days ago now and I feel 100% better! Before every dose I eat a COMPLETE MEAL so that my stomach is coated and I have not had one side effect besides drowsiness which I don't mind as much, but the pain is gone and I am back to my normal self. I am so happy the pills worked so fast and with food leave me perfectly fine.

April 14, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Mrs. Pita Flores:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: This medication cleared my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, but left me feeling super sleepy and dizzy! I guess it's a small price to pay for relief. I'm glad I have a few days off work though because I would not be able to work like this.

March 21, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by Baronmonty:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Taking this medicine for a prostate infection, I previously took another antibiotic that did nothing as it was a wide spectrum one until my results were in. I have struggled taking these pills, because they do make you feel a bit gassy and also I have struggled to get my breath a bit. My main worry was being sick on them, and because I am forcing myself to eat four fairly big meals a day I have not suffered half as much on that side as I thought. After reading all of the horror stories on here, it has not yet been quite as bad as I had thought it might be. I am about half of the way through the course, taking 100mg 4x a day. Going to try to get to the end, starting to feel a bit better. My urine is clear again but I still have the urge to go.

February 14, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by C.D. Knight:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I had no problem with this medication and my body is the anti-antibiotic! I am allergic to every antibiotic under the sun and avoid using them as much as possible, but I did not nip this urinary tract infection in the butt before it required a Dr.'s visit. I was instructed to take the pill twice a day for seven days. The first two days the medicines did make me feel a little drowsy, but I think my body adjusted. Just make sure you give yourself time to know how it will affect you before driving etc. I also would suggest taking it with a full meal. I did not experience any nausea, but I made it a point to only take my pills with a full stomach. I noticed results by the third day. I just finished the last dose and am feeling great.

February 12, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by Cindy8508:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine for two days then got this massive headache or migraine. My shoulders and neck hurt and my temples hurt to even touch them. My eyes hurt to move them and I had vomiting with it. I stopped taking it & went on something else.

February 5, 2014 4:10 PM