User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 87 reviews 161 medications

6.1
Bladder Infection 74 reviews 79 medications

5.1
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 183 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by JME momma:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 5:24 PM

Review by Doglover782:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2015 7:55 PM

Review by Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2015 6:50 AM

Review by ankegram3:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by Arepa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: This is the second time I am taking Nitrofurantoin within a 2 months period. I waited 6 days for the infection to improve by its own but it didn't. The side effects are fast! dizziness, slight headache and nausea (salivating all the time), stomach ache, reflux after eating and sleepiness. However the symptoms of discomfort while urinating also improved really fast. My only advice would be as well to drink lots of water with lime juice (that helped me to control the salivating-nauseous situation) and eat a lot of fresh yogurt to keep under control bowel flora.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 9:41 AM

Review by sgt_ike (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bladder Infection: It doesn't work for me one bit.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2014 11:42 AM

Review by Kera Ann:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: At first it wasn't working, but the closer I got to finishing the pills it was clearing up. I made sure I ate before I took the pill to avoid getting sick. It made me extremely sleepy though.

December 7, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by Want a nap (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Taking 100mg 2xs daily for urinary tract infection. On day 5 of 7 with limited side effects. I have a severe allergy to many medications but thankfully no severe reaction to this one. I noticed the nausea is alleviated if you drink a full 8oz glass of water with each dose and continue drinking water throughout the day. I work long hours so not sure if the drowsiness is caused by the medication or not. Some vaginal itching and discomfort but so far no vaginal infection. Doctor recommended I eat yogurt daily while on this medication and I am following doctor's orders! I have felt some dizziness but it isn't constant.

November 5, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Ihatetakingmeds:

For Bladder Infection: First time taking Nitrofurantoin. I have a urinary tract infection about twice a year and have been on a few different things. I can not take sulfur based medicines as they produce a rash and can no longer take Cipro as it has caused panic in me before. I am taking a 10 day course 4 times a day of Nitro. On the positive, I felt almost immediate relief from the urgency of the UTI after taking the first pill. It changes the color of urine to a bright yellow, and from the first urination after taking the Nitro the urgency was gone. This medicine did cause me to feel slightly sick the first few times I took it, and also causes me to be in bed at 8:30 pm every night, other than that works fantastic

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2014 9:11 AM

Review by welshgirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Very effective antibiotic, but the side-effects are unpleasant. I woke up feeling dizzy and sick every morning. I highly recommend drinking ginger tea to get rid of the nausea, it works a treat!

October 13, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by sick of this:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: After having a lot of urine infections for the past year I am now back on Macrodantin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days makes me feel yak headaches keeps me awake slightly dizzy, feel tired a lot.. Then doctor wants me to take a low dose of it for 6 weeks will keep you posted if it actually works this time. I have my doubts.

September 23, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by Kbjohnso2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it.

August 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by chris the cougar:

For Bladder Infection: I have given this medication 1 because of the side effects which actually only flared up on my final day of taking them. I felt really ill for about two days which totally knocked me for six. Tiredness, loss of appetite and shaking, later in the day a rash on my legs which was worse on my feet and ankles then my face went a bright red colour. Two days later the rash is still there but starting to fade, next came some tightness in my chest which is easing. As I said these came at the end of the 7 day dosage period so there was no point contacting a doctor, so I'm just riding it out. Hope they clear the infection.

August 25, 2014 8:07 AM

Review by Malian:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Dr gave me Cipro 500 for 7 days. Didn't work, took this but make sure you take it with a FULL MEAL! Or the headaches are Awful! Works pretty decent. Been getting urinary tract infections for 4 years. Premenopause so been on Estrace. Hope this works.

August 14, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Danmaid Crispen:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Nitrofurantoin after trying all antibiotics it became the best antibiotic for my long standing re-occurring urinary tract infection. Within 4 days of taking the dose this antibiotic straight away it changed my life.

August 11, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Kathy M.M.:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I took Macrobid for two days. By day three I was nauseous, dizzy and had diarrhea. I felt weak and dizzy and almost passes out. My Doctor told me to stop the medication. It turned out that my culture was normal and I didn't need antibiotics! I am now without the meds and I feel like I have a virus!

August 5, 2014 8:38 PM

Review by WhatNicknameIsNotinUse:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection on a Friday. I took the first dose that evening after dinner. I woke up Saturday morning feeling fine, took another dose, and it went downhill from there. We went out for breakfast, and the fun began, nausea, chills, etc. I had to go home and get in bed for the remainder of the day. I had a fever of 101.3. I had a terrible headache, joint pain etc. On Sunday, I was so freaked, my husband took me to an urgent care clinic. I was told that it wasn't the Macrobid, but that my bladder infection had become systemic. Baloney. I would wake up and feel fine, take the medication with milk, and whammo! Down for the count. I am now on day 5, and finally went to work today. Totally felt hungover.

July 30, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by SpeedQueen:

For Bladder Infection: Only negative experiences I've had with this medication are drowsiness (not really an issue if only taking at night as a preventative )and one time I forgot about the avoid alcohol thing and had one drink. I got the worst indigestion and nausea ever and it lasted for days. Otherwise a great medication that gets rid of the urinary tract infection as a treatment and has been wonderful as a prophylaxis to keep UTI's at bay.

July 30, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Didn't make my bladder infection go away, it hid all of the symptoms however when the prescription was done my infection was still there. I ended up on different antibiotics for 2 weeks.

July 30, 2014 7:06 AM

Review by calaver:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I took this for bladder infection and I got so sick. My body felt weak, my stomach was upset and overall I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. My doctor said it was a side effect and gave me a different antibiotic.

July 25, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by christiebrt:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious.

July 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by Lcsx (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: Prescribed 7 day course four times a day as allergic to penicillin. Had general feeling sick but wasn't too bad, was soothing symptoms quickly but had to stop after two days as got severe headache. Never had a headache like it before, was an awful awful pain. Pain in head was still severe even after a day without taking anymore tablets.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:07 AM

Review by MN2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: It worked really well to clear up my urinary tract infection and within a day I had no symptoms; however, I was so tired while I was taking this! I also would get feeling of nausea quite often and occasionally would make me vomit. I took on a full stomach but still got the feelings of nausea and fatigue.

July 21, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Njcody:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Took this med after pharmacist said to take it with a small snack, I agree with those who say a full meal. I also woke up this morning and threw up, not sure what that was, now I am sleepy and missed a day of work. Antibiotics have not had this affect on me, just hope it gets better. I am also nauseated but trying not to think about it or I maybe visiting the throne.

June 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Dani11 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I used to use nitrofurantonin when I would get recurrent urinary tract infection as a low dose and that seemed to work well. I hadn't had a UTI in 7 years then got one. Doc prescribed nitrofurantonin and after 3 pills my symptoms were worse. Usually when I get antibiotics for a UTI my symptoms stop almost immediately so I knew they weren't working. Doc then prescribed Bactrim and I felt better within hours. I must have a nitrofurantonin resistance from taking the so much? My side effect was I was very tired. I could have slept all day.

June 11, 2014 12:36 AM