User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 29 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 246 reviews 181 medications

Bladder Infection 136 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 411 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Severe nausea. Dry heaves and vomiting."

Jo in Azusa May 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Have been on this for 48 hours, have nausea, diarrohea, headache, loss of appetite and feel generally unwell. I still have the original symptoms. The weekend is here, so will stick it out until Monday before ringing GP. Thanks for everyones comments."

Fayesy April 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took Macrobid for five days. It caused constant nervousness/jitteriness and I could not sleep. Two days after Macrobid regime was done, my UTI started up again. So much pain and suffering for nothing. What upsets me the most is that I had told the nurse at the clinic that Cipro works for me, and she prescribed Macrobid instead! Some people are worse than useless."

Apple Annie April 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was wondering why I was so fatigued and now the mystery is solved thanks to this page. It has alleviated the UTI symptoms but from reading through the board, it looks like there are better options."

sullspinn (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After being diagnosed with a UTI, I was given macrobid 100mg 2xday. The first day was fine. On the second day, I noticed a lot of stomach pain after taking each dose. On the 3rd day, I woke up with a headache, abdominal pain, and a weak and ill feeling. I called my doctor to see if i could get switched to another medication. I felt ill, foggy headed and anxious the rest of that day. I did not like this medication and won't take it again."

Jillybean2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Given this for a UTI. This is a horrible drug! I only took 2 pills of this drug when I started getting the shakes and terrible anxiety. Driving home from work, I was literally praying to god to get me home safely because I was shaking with a headache and awful anxiety. Thankfully got home and had to sit down with my head between my legs because I thought I was going to pass out. Spent an entire evening with anxiety and it persisted, to a lesser extent, the next day even off of the drug. Also, did a number on my stomach - lost my appetite, probably due to the anxiety. I think these side effects are common with this drug and very dangerous. My pharmacist wasn't even sure if they still carried it. Take with caution."

Dee4747 April 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 2 doses and woke up in the middle of the night with rapid heart rate, headache, full body muscle spasms. I skipped two doses and the side effects have subsided a little but still sore. Called Dr and was switched to Cipro. I'm allergic to Bactrim which would have been the other option."

Starr21 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "This medication was prescribed to me for a bladder infection. After I took the second dose I woke in the middle of the night with the worst headache I've ever had in my whole life! I literally thought I might have to go into see the doctor. After it subsided I read all the reviews I could about this medication and it side effects. It seemed as though it was starting to work for my bladder infection but the terrible side effects were not worth it. I called my doctor and they prescribed Cipro instead. It took care of my infection with no side effects."

Jor Ethra April 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a terrible time with this drug, the most severe headache I've ever had, very bad nausea and horrible abdominal pain. I had suicidal thoughts, was just a total mess, couldn't sleep or get comfortable. The neck pain was awful. I've never had a bad reaction to any drug before, it was very distressing. Stopped taking it after five doses (with five doses not taken) as I had been in bed for three days since starting it. Should have stopped after first dose but was worried about my UTI not improving. My husband called our doctor as I was too upset to speak and was changed to Cipro - no side effects at all from it."

Rosebud11111111 April 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this medicine after I had side effects to 3 other medicines, I feel sick to my stomach, every bone in my body aches, fever, off balance, only able to work 4hours a day, then I go home to bed. . I'm sticking it out only 2 more days to go, I'm hoping my uti will go away and I will get back to normal again."

lowa April 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug works well unless your uti has resistance to it. My side effects were headache and nausea. Drink lots of water and eat before you take it."

Miss Moneypenny (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was seen yesterday by my g.p and was given nitrofurntoin modified release I am 65yrs have had prolapses surgery have had a prolapsed bladder for 10 yrs I I continue to get uti s I took 1 100mg cap with my evening meal within about about an hour my heart rate was through the roof I had got pain round my chest trouble breathing light flashing in my eyes face and lips swelling I started to drink a lot to try to flush it out but things got worse I went from very hot to very cold when I shut my eye to try to stop the flashing shapes kept rush at me it was awful I have not slept at all and feel so very unwell as if my whole body is shutting down even thought I am still drinking my mouth is very dry at least the body tremors have stopped"

Aveburch April 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Its doesn't work for me at all! no symptoms which was good but took two rounds of this antibiotic and still had uti"

bekah w April 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I would not choose this drug again. SEVERE abd pain, i was in clinical on the 3 day of it and i barely could walk, it gets worse when i sat down. The pain is so bad i almost passed out. Do NOT recommend this to any one!!"

RebeccaBecca April 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After day 3, had difficulty swallowing and terrible anxiety badly enough that I couldn't swallow pills or food without regurgitation. I started taking Prilosec thinking acid reflux. Even an Advil pill creeped up my esophagus and lodged into my throat. It went from bad to worse. Was living on a liquid diet. Had to see a Gastro doc and Ear Nose and Throat doc. My throat was scoped, found nothing. 3 days after getting off both Macrobid and Prilosec my symptoms went away. Fourth day off was given a swallow test which I passed. I am now able to eat solid foods without feeling as if I am going to choke to death."

WickedChowdah (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was giving this medication for a UTI. By day 2, I honestly thought I was dying. I had severe back pain and headache, both unrelieved by Excedrin which usually works great. I felt spaced out and unable to concentrate...achy all over like I had the flu. Last night my heart started racing and my chest felt so tight, I felt l was going into anaphylaxis. I have never had an allergic reaction to a medication, so no sure if these symptoms are side effects or allergic reaction, but $30 worth of medication went in the trash because it isn't worth the risk. I have a call into my doctor who will hopefully call in something different."

DGraphicington (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "terrible pain continuously in shoulder arm neck legs macroBid side effects crying because of severity of pain depressing pain hope i am not permanately damaged bymacroBid will report to GP feelings of DOOM"

trynomore (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Don't be scared reading the reviews! I made the mistake of looking at this website's user reviews on nitrofurantoin and was so terrified of taking the pill, I had to call my PCP at night to calm myself down. It's really IMPORTANT to note that you have to take this drug AFTER eating a substantial meal. I was prescribed to take it 2 times a day, but whatever your dosage is - just remember to take it with food. There was only one day when I had the antibiotic after only eating a few pieces of fruit, and I suffered from mild nausea. But aside from that, I didn't have any other side effects - so DON'T BE SCARED! Just try it out with food in your system. Good luck!"

N/A123 April 4, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I am on day two, on the third pill and I am already feeling like I have the flu.I have had a severe headache all day, my stomach has been hurting, fast heart rate and dry throat. I do experience a little bit of relief from the UTI. But first thing in the morning I am going to call my doctor to prescribe me something else.I couldn't imagine having to go the next five days taking this pill."

p_dot (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macro bid for a bladder infection. After I took the 2nd pill, I got severe shortness of breath, chest pain, high fever and diarrhea. Although not as bad as the first day, the symptoms continued into the second day of taking them. On the 3rd day, out of the blue, my vision was blurred/impeded by what I can only describe as bursts of light/sunbursts for about 20 minutes followed by severe headache and fatigue. Very scary! My bladder feels a bit better so I decided to stop the medication after only 3 days. Will ask the doctor for something else with less side effects if it continues."

macronot March 31, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 2 pills...... TWO PILLS!! Spent 3 hours in the ER with rapid heartbeats (over 100), chest tightness, anxiousness and the shakes. Hospital did an array of tests and told me to stop taking...... No sheet. Now the bad news..... Other doctor told me it can take up to a week to get drug out of system...... My advice..... Take one and wait a day or so to see how body responds...... In my case this pill was garbage and dangerous..... I have never had a reaction to a medicine like this...... Stay away from this antibiotic....."

Studad1 March 31, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After 1st pill symptoms of uti gone 2nday mild nausea. Best uti drug I have ever had. If u read the reviews you get scared silly"

Zara1 March 30, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection. By 3rd day in med I developed a horrible dry cough. I stopped taking at that point. I am now on another antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection. I will be sure to never take Macrobid again"

lmbwife (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Nitro reduced the ITU symptoms in day 1, however I had a very annoying side effect: pain in my eyes. Every time I would look to the side my eyes would hurt very badly. Started on day 2 and I had to stop taking the medicine on day 3. I then took ciprofloxacine and everything went well."

PatriciaRN March 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this drug had blinding headache pain behind my muscles so week I could hardly move but the worst thing was pain in my chest and difficult breathing rang doctor said u may have flu saw him next day after stopping tacking itstill should no concern at all just seen another doctor said she was not not not aware of such side effects told her to go on this site I don't know how anyone with concern for there patients can prescribe this drug without warning them first do not take if u have bad chest. at all"

Meede March 21, 2016