User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 79 reviews 158 medications

Bladder Infection 70 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 171 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by TSIBM:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: 65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time.

July 12, 2013 8:17 PM

Review by esmee94:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have suffered from recurrent urinary tract infections since I became sexually active. I would get an infection every time I had sex with my boyfriend. I tried countless courses of antibiotics which apparently cleared the infection but when I had sex again i got another one. finally my doctor put me on nitrofurantoin and this cleared the infection immediately. I have still to finish the course. I haven't had sex while taking the last few courses to make sure the infection has cleared fully!

July 7, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by Chriswhjay:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Started experiecing pain peeing and went for a quick dip test after blood in urine was strongly apparant. Prescribed Trimethoprim for a week and cleared it up very quickly however it came back. On the sixth day the doctor rang me urgently saying I needed to take these 4 times a day for a week. No side effects at all. Possible constipation however this could be due to not wanting to eat/doing less exercise. No chest pains or anything and very quickly cleared up any remaining symptoms. Thank you Macrodantin!

June 29, 2013 2:39 PM

Review by Gramcracker of 6:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Cleared up my urinary tract infection almost immediately, however 1 week after finishing the treatment I had what I thought was an asthma attack and then noticed a rash on my legs. My doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the nitrofurantoin. Not being able to breath is too scary so I will go with a different medicine if I get another urinary tract infection.

June 7, 2013 4:04 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Luckily had no side effects on this antibiotic. I made sure to take it with a big meal each time though, so that might have helped. I was put on Bactrim for a previous urinary tract infection and it was horrible. Nausea, felt like I had a fever, increased my heart rate etc. I'm glad I found this and hope I can take it again if I get another urinary tract infection. The only thing I noticed was that it brought back a weird cough I usually only get after a bad cold. My doctor calls it a bronchial spasm. It hasn't gone away after having been off the medicine for 3 weeks, but it was so mild compared to when I get it with a cold that I can easily deal with it.

June 2, 2013 5:15 PM

Review by LKFM (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Side effects: Headache, flu like symptoms, lower and middle back pain, nausea, lower abdominal pain, dizziness.

May 30, 2013 5:38 PM

Review by Nicole Sch.:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I had frequent chronic urinary tract infection, getting one every 1.5-2 months. After a few years of being on and off different antibiotics, one doctor decided I needed to go on Nitrofurantoin at low dosage 50 mg/day for one whole year. I took one tablet for 365 days and haven't had a UTI in 4 years now. I am thankful for this MD.

May 24, 2013 10:02 PM

Review by Dani Vis:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I need to use nitrofurantoin at least once a year due to bladder infection. I was used to take Bactrim and the stomach side effects were much worse. This is a life saver, and puts me together. I had a bladder infection crisis last night, and I'm at work now, pretty all right.

March 13, 2013 1:24 PM

Review by AMoonlitStar (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I have had frequently reoccurring urinary tract infections for almost 15 years and tried pretty much every trick out there to prevent them, to no avail. When discussing this with an Ob/Gyn she decided to prescribe Macrobid to be taken on days of intercourse in order to prevent me from getting another infection. I went from getting an infection every couple of months to not having one for a year and a half, until I ran out of the medication. The only side effect was a change in urine color which did not have an effect on my quality of life beyond wearing panty liners as a precautionary measure on days I had taken it to ensure my underwear did not get stained. Taking this to prevent infections was a life changer for me.

March 4, 2013 11:07 PM

Review by hello2013 (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Doctor prescribed Macrobid for a week for urinary tract infection. It did give me some relief initially however my infection is back. I'm scheduled to see my Dr tomorrow.

January 30, 2013 1:34 PM

Review by AdaFM:

For Urinary Tract Infection: The side effects of joint pain, upper back pain, chills, digestive issues stii haunt one month after I took the medication. The side effects were horrible!

January 25, 2013 10:12 AM

Review by LarzKravitz:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I too suffer from frequent urinary tract infections. I am now on round 2 of this medicine. My last pill was 4 days ago and I had a re-occurance of my irritable bladder symptoms the next day. My doctor gave me 7 more days. I did feel sick in the beginning when I would take them with nausea and I felt like I had the flu. Headache is common too. I feel flushed as soon as they kick in usually. I do always take them with food and so far I am just not impressed. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

January 23, 2013 12:07 PM

Review by Katillac (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I suffer from recurring urinary tract infections and Macrobid has always worked fast and really well. I've noticed after prolonged use though my body has developed a bit of an immunity to it and doesn't work as fast anymore. Also it now gives me yeast infections so I have to try something else.

January 21, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by polyphenol (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I am 60 and taking nitrofurantin for the first time. My urinary tract infection was totally out of control. In two days I feel a lot better not 100% I FEEL VERY TIRED, A BIT CONFUSED like I am sleepy after getting 8 hours sleep. I am avoiding exercise today. I do have asthma so my breathing is more stressed from this. I had a headache and vision problems.

January 2, 2013 4:49 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I took Macrobid 100mg about half hour ago and I'm feeling fine, no side effect yet. Hopefully not at all.

December 24, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by Bumblebees Butterfly (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I suffered severe headaches & nausea for hours from the very first dose & every dose thereafter. I would feel faint, overheated, extremely tired; I slept with the windows open and the heat off (it's winter). 4 days of taking Macrobid, I begin to have loose stools & severe muscles aches & neck stiffness. I began to have a sore throat & a dry cough on day 2. After stopping, within 24 hours I begin to itch severely. I've been off of it for 48 hours & I still have a headache & I use Benadryl for the itching. I was given Levaquin in 1 dose, then Macrobid 100 mg 2X a day for 10 days by the ER doctor. But my primary doctor thought it was an overkill and should have used just the Levaquin.

December 23, 2012 1:25 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I took Macrobid for 3 days, I started having muscle aches. Flu like symptoms and stiff neck and nausea.

December 1, 2012 3:58 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Day 2 I wondered why my feet were stinging and burning when I got ready to go to bed. Now I notice they are stinging again. I guess three days is enough for me.

October 12, 2012 3:23 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I'm having an allergic reaction to this right now. I thought I was coming down with the flu but it has to be this medication. I took my last pill two hours ago and waiting for it to get out of my system.

September 30, 2012 12:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I have had regular urinary tract infections in the past but had a few years without them. I then started feeling the onset on Friday morning and by Friday evening it was full blown. I went to the doctor and was prescribed Nitrofurantoin. To start with I didn't notice the symptoms as they merged with the pain from the urinary tract infections and were quite mild but with each dose I am feeling worse and worse. I have the chills, sweating, headaches, disorientation and constant waves of nausea. The doctor warned me that my pee would be discoloured and that was it. I am considering coming off these pills only 2 days in to a 7 day cycle as for me the side effects are almost worse than the UTI.

September 12, 2012 4:57 PM

Review by Monihrin:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Macrodantin also known as nitrofurantoin is really good medication for UTI. I was struggling with UTI long time. I tried Cefalexin and it didn't work for me. I did try Augmentin as I never had problem with this one and it's really strong but I started to vomit after 2 hours of taking the pill. Macrodantin can be good choice for people with sensitive stomach. I had no side effects.

September 12, 2012 3:27 PM

For Bladder Infection: I started taking nitrofurantoin today for a bladder infection first and only pill at about 1pm, felt fine till about 6pm and started feeling extremely tired to the point I could hardly stay awake. Then came the horrible nausea (thanks for Zofran) along with, dizziness, chills, shortness of breath, headache, stuffy nose and not feeling well in general.

August 30, 2012 11:51 PM

Review by Sebbietash:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have been using Macrobid for a couple of years now. I am allergic to all other medications and therefore this is all I have to work with. It works well, doesn't always work for me. Sometimes I have to take a second week of it. I often feel the same way as others. Headache if I haven't drank enough water, upset stomach if I hadn't ate enough food when taking the pill. It does make me tired as well. I try to eat well when I am on this medication to help with the energy level since I am allergic to caffeine and can't take that path. I think that if you make sure to take the pill with lots of food like they recommend, the nausea isn't that bad. Also, drinking more water then your ever use to, will help with the headaches.

August 24, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by Jackie23his (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Macrobid (100 mg 1 capsule twice daily for 5 days). I have had a recurring bladder infection since June and it is now Aug 15. The doctor had told me that I having recurring bladder infections so I shouldn't have sex during treatment, another reason because I have a new partner. And my urethra is getting all stressed out and all I need to do is give it a rest and let the antibiotics do its work, and later wait at least a week after the antibiotics to finish to have sex. This way I give it enough time for the urethra to strengthen. Anyhow, I am on my third day of this medication, I noticed it affects my nervous system, I get a lot of panic/anxiety attacks, fatigue and weakness.

August 17, 2012 12:30 AM

Review by nancysew:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Nitrofurantoin cleared up my urinary tract infection in one day; but, the side effects were horrendous. I took it for only two days; called my doctor because of the side effects and stopped taking it. I experienced severe reflux, abdominal pain, nausea, extreme headaches and inability to sleep and depression.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate