User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 3)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 28 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 211 reviews 174 medications

5.3
Bladder Infection 123 reviews 68 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 362 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After taking two capsules I woke up the next morning drenched in sweat. Followed by severe chills and high fever (103 to 104). With each dose, my symptoms multiplied. Nauseous, vomiting, severe body aches, swollen knee and hand joints, headaches, diarrhea, swollen and painful neck. After 9 doses my doctor instructed me to stop taking the medicine and I started improving. I am left with night sweats and lack of appetite."

Gee1118 (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have been on macrobid twice for bladder infections. It cleared them up, but the side effects knocked me off my feet for days. Fever of 101 - 102 and flu-like achiness and wicked headaches or the entire time I was on the medication. The first time I took it the doctor said I must have had the flu too. The second time I called him after three days and had him switch me to another antibiotic."

SuzeR22 November 21, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took a dose, felt weird and went to sleep. Took my second dose twelve hrs later and feel so weird. My left eye hurts, my neck hurts. I will not take another dose of this. I am terrified of the side effects I am having from this. Anyone who is considering should think again. Although some people may have a good experience, you never know."

Ref72386 November 20, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I suffer from recurrent uni's, this is by far the worst one I have had 3 weeks of anti b's and still have the infection, I hate Nitrofurantoin, makes me feel sick, tired lack of energy and at the moment I have loss of appetite and a headache and loose and frequent bowel movements. I personally feel I can developed a tolerance for the anti-biotics. Even though my symptoms to go for a few days, I don't feel any better within myself as the antibiotics pose more problems."

Loulou131093 November 17, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Terrible experience with this medication. I'm 9 weeks pregnant and this medicine made my nausea 20x worse! The 3 days I took this medicine it was like I had a stomach virus, throwing up all day. Also still have a pounding headache that will not go away! Never again"

Shelbe J November 16, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The worst medication I have ever taken. Had high fever, aches, chills, sweats, dizziness and nausea from this drug. I was sick for a week. Never again."

Amisonick November 15, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI on Friday 11-06-15 and prescribed Cipro, while the urine culture was done. On Monday 11-09-15, the culture showed that Cipro was resistant and I was prescribed Macrobid, since it was sensitive. I have been feeling so tired that I missed 2 days of work from the fatigue and brain fog/confusion. The medication has taken care of the UTI but the side effects were more miserable than the UTI symptoms."

annebeth66 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Works great for getting rid of a UTI or as a prophylaxis for UTIs. But, the accompanying nausea is hard to bear. I would have to take an anti-nausea pill at the same time, along with a little food, or I would not make it. Best time is to take before bed."

TwinMomVa November 12, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I was prescribed for a bladder infection. Began to feel relief from my painful urination after day 3. I am currently on day 4 and I must admit the side effects that I have been experiencing are fatigue, tension headaches (primarily left side near my ear), hot flashes, cold flashes, body aches (not quite as bad as the flu, but still achy), neon orange colored urine, nausea, and just general malaise. I still rate high because my symptoms in my opinion were far worse than the side effects. Leaving work early today to try to sleep this off. Hopefully the next week and 3 days aren't any worse. Hope this helps someone."

Yanna (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this for UTI. 100mg 2xs a day for 10 days. I took it Friday around 4pm with a meal. 6 hours later I was HIGHLY nauseated and had the worst stomach pain to the point I could not sleep and spent my night in the bathroom! I continued to take it for two more days and went through misery. I even called the pharmacy a few times because no side effects were listed and they told me to continue!! Sunday I decided to stop taking it and cranberry juice it out. I am self employed and had money to be made Saturday and this medication ruined my whole weekend! I was on the couch in pain, haven't grocery shopped, cleaned, couldn't eat a piece of toast, and had to cancel everything. Never putting this near my tongue again!!"

Brown AlMona November 9, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I want to amend my comment below! In hindsight I have realised that it is kidney infection causing those symptoms NOT the antibiotic! If it wasn't for the antibiotic I probably would have had to go to hospital, it was lucky I had just taken it so the shivers and fever stopped after about 12 hours. I am back on nitrofurantoin and the pain in my back, legs and side has almost gone. I'm all for treating a bladder infection naturally but you have to be mindful that it does not spread to your kidneys because that can be a dangerous situation. I wonder if some of the similar experiences below were because the bladder infection had developed into kidney infection, not because of the drugs."

KatieFo (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I too had a bad experience with this antibiotic, although I have taken it in the past and been fine. Within an hour of taking the first one I started to feel very achy all over my body, like flu. Despite a hot water and blankets to help relieve the pains I became very cold and violently shivery. In and out of sleep, I then became extremely got and sweaty, although no one was around to take my temp. The next morning I still have pains all over my body and my head, just trying to keep topped up on water. I don't think it is the UTI causing this as it was not that painful and these symptoms came on an hour after taking the antibiotic."

KatieFo November 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking micro for 2 1/2 days and I feel worse than the UTI my stomach hurts really bad heartburn is terrible and chest pain very bad gas pains all and all I feel like crap I stopped taking it and let's see if I feel better never again will I take this my neighbor took it and ended up in the hospital almost died"

mikjack (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After fist day felt much better .uti no symptoms after 24 hours .only side effects feel tied and slept like a baby .would recommend and take again .was on 7 day course 50g 4 times a day .tiredness gone when medication stopped ."

Bonbaz (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I took this medicine and within an hour I started to feel dizzy and light headed, my breathing became heavy and I was so close to being sick. Had to down around four glasses of water to feel normal ish again. The second one it was literally ten minutes and I was sweating real bad. Was sick around six times, and now I have what seems like my stomach is swelling, bloating. Still feel sick, off my food completely, worst medication I have ever ever been prescribed"

Chickenpasty October 31, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I had this tablet prescribed to me to take for three days, twice a day to prevent bladder infection. The tablet made me go yellow,vomit, lose my appetite and generally made me feel really bad. I still have a bladder infection so I wouldn't recommend it"

Anonymous0982 October 31, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I took this medicine for a bladder infection and took it for the full five days prescribed. The first day I felt immediate relief and reduced discomfort of about 50%. However with each day that followed my relief did not increase and within 12 hours of completing perscription my symptoms were back by 90%. So either the dose wasn't strong enough (100mg) or the prescription wasn't long enough. No way of knowing if either or both of these conditions were changed I would have experienced more success with this particular antibiotic."

Gaia.M October 24, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm usually skeptical about these posts and the crazy side effects, so I didn't take them seriously when I was prescribed this medication. I only took 3 doses, and although my symptoms are gone, I had the worst splitting headache I've ever had, intense nausea and foggy brain/not feeling myself. I skipped my 4th dose and felt completely better within a few hours. I felt worse on this medication than I ever did with a UTI."

Jenny1234567 October 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After never having even a urine infection in my whole 35 years, after having a baby I got 4 uti's in 7 months. Keflex for the first. That worked well. Macrobid for the others. It does make me a little drowsy and have mild sort of "hallucinations" but it does work for me quite well. After the 2nd dose, all of my symptoms are gone. For me, the benefit outweighs the side effects."

Fellow chronic uti getter (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Got clear urine but that is all. Maybe it just worked for upper UTI. It did nothing to help lower urethra infection from catheter"

grahameatt October 20, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "This works fine for me, I'm allergic to most of the antibiotics out there but not this one thankfully. I get uti's frequently, because I always have to be cultured, sometimes that waiting period helps the thing really get going. Normally its a 10 day course... I do not get headaches or any of the side effects others have had. Everybody's body is different, the only way you'll know how you will react is to take it yourself."

mizrob1960 October 17, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My mother is 58 years old and took this for a bacterial infection that kept causing UTIs. We have both taken many different antibiotic pills and medications over the years for various illnesses, but never have I seen a reaction as bad as this one. My mom was complaining of a headache, and then she was so weak she could barely stand. She had chills, a fever, and was curled up in a ball in bed for the next 24 hours. Now she has to go to the hospital and get an IV with a different antibiotic to treat the infection. This drug is incredibly powerful and watching its effects was extremely scary."

Kerryb92 October 17, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I don't like this medicine! My first day taking it and already vomiting. I'm feeling really sick that I'm scared to take another dam pill!! Suppose to take 4 pills a day! "

Miss Sassy October 16, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "Will never put another pill in my mouth. Painful muscle aches, fatigue, nausea, fever, chills, night sweats, tired, the list goes on. I have been off it for 3 days and the muscle aches and fatigue are still here. Never never again."

Friendofafriend October 15, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Just came back from ER. I have started doing self cath in severe pain frequent urination. I have taken this med before many times for UTI's with excellent results doesn't usually cause yeast infections or c diff. I can't believe all the bad reviews. I never had any side effects at all just hope I'm on right med waiting for culture results only took 1 pill so far"

clownn2 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2015