User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 3)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 30 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 254 reviews 181 medications

Bladder Infection 140 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 424 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Felt suddenly spaced-out, sat down at my work desk and passed out. Luckily I was already in a hospital. A friend took this med and also passed out. She wasn't so lucky. She fell and suffered a concussion."

Graddo February 26, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "After two doses of this medication I was nauseated and developed a high fever. After six hours of going from couch to bed to try and seek comfort I eventually threw up. Stopped the drug immediately, Called the doctor and asked for an alternative. Unless you have a consistitution of steel. Stay way from this drug."

Cranberry juice February 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed 100 mg every 12 hours with food. I took it as directed. On the third day, I read horror stories on here and was really nervous to continue taking it. However, I did. It cleared up my UTI quickly, within 24 hrs. I experienced nausea, sore throat, coughing, fatigue.. but nothing extreme like some people on here. I stopped taking it on day 4/5 because I am a student and this week I had 3 exams and really could not afford to be sick. It made me feel crappy but nothing too crazy and it did its job in a timely manner. I wanted to share my story so people know it at least works sometimes."

Not awful February 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug is going on my "Do Not Prescribe" list. After a day and a half on it, the fatigue was so bad I could barely function. No one claimed to know anything about this side effect, but when I looked it up I kept seeing it happening to users again and again. It helped my UTI, but I couldn't get off the couch. I phoned my doctor and was switched to Cipro. After skipping my evening dose of Macrobid and taking Cipro instead, I felt almost normal the next day. Be very, very cautious about using this drug."

E.C. February 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on it right now, it's my 3rd day out of 5 on it and even though it got rid of my UTI right away I have been feeling sick. I feel super nauseous at the moment and I can't get any sleep because I feel like I'm going to vomit, I feel bloated and have a tiny headache. I think this medication is way to strong for me, I would prefer taking something that gives me less side affects. Worst antibiotic I've ever taken."

Monique L February 22, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "symptoms: SEVERE abdominal pain, constipation, nausea, achey pain in back, fatigue, chills, sweating, headache, cough. i just finishd my last dose of macrobid and I believe it cleared up my UTI but these side effects are not worth it. The abdominal pain I have been having is so bad that it has woken me up from my sleep 3 nights in a row. I have the chills and because of the abdominal pain it is hard to eat. I also have terrible headaches that worsen with certain movements or lights. This pill is awful and I wish I would've known about these symptoms before starting."

---- (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "While this did clear up my infection, I would have much prefered a different drug. Was prescribed 50mg, four tablets to be taken per day, for three days. This made me feel incredibly nauseous, blurred my vision, made my eyes feel like they were rolling back into my head, basically made me feel "tripped out". I would wake up during the night after having taken my last one of the day and the walls would feel as though they were moving in on me. Overall, while effective, the experienced scared me."

luce96 February 17, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "It is effective but the nausea is too strong. I am unable to do anything for an hour because I'm hunched over in discomfort. Although I have never thrown up with the drug, I have come close to it. I recommend eating and then taking the drug. This seems to keep the nausea at bay. If I take it before I eat or take it on an empty stomach, I am in trouble."

SallyK765325 February 16, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 1 pill woke up with rapid heartbeat 117 , chills, fever, head pressure, blood pressure high and nausea. It's been 4 hrs and heartbeat not back to normal. Beware, this is one bad drug"

horrible February 13, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I took this for my UTI it has worked on me but NITROFURANTOIN makes me pee a lot it also made me dizzy for the first couple of day but got through it."

Pixie_Lix February 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Currently on day 4/7 100mg BID. I went from feeling like my back was being ripped open and sobbing until I couldn't anymore from the pain to waking up the next day after my first dose feeling like a new person, this antibiotic is ok in my book! Mild GI issues, decreased appetite, and headaches are my only side effects. Nothing in comparison to what I was feeling before. All antibiotics aren't fun to be on, so keep that in mind before writing scary negative reviews. Hopeful that the Macrobid clears this up."

HNS211 February 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I am always prescribed Macrobid for UTIs, and it has always worked for me. It does cause some side effects, but for me it is usually just fatigue for a few hours after taking it and a bit of diarrhea near the end once the infection is gone but I am still finishing up the meds. I know some people get more severe side effects, but I have always been lucky on this drug."

souslapluie (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have taken this for morgenella morganii infection. I have completed 15 days thrice a day then doctor reduced it to twice and then once a day total 30 days. I am feeling hazy, depressive and pain in my body. Still not fully cured. Side effects are bad."

vishal tyagi February 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was ill and stopped taking them. Couldn't stop vomiting... A few months later I tried again and wasn't as sick so I stuck it out, then they found I still have white blood cells in my urine, so I guess they don't work for me."

Zara's (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Nitrofurantoin for 7 days and while it cleared the UTI I have never felt so ill on it. This was two and a half weeks ago and I suspect the side effects are still around but not as severe. Headaches, flu like feeling and ringing in my ears and chest congestion. I don't feel back to normal. Does anyone know how long it will take to get back to normal? I'm in the UK."

Placiddot February 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Nitrofurantoin SURVIVAL KIT: LUBRICATING EYE DROPS. Eyes will feel like there's sand in them. EAR PLUGS. Everything you hear will irritate you & hurt your ears. DVDs. You won't be doing much but laying in bed. CAFFEINE IN A TABLET: Your head will feel like it's going to explode. This constricts blood vessles. If all this fails, BENADRYL. Sleep it off....ADVANCED SURVIVAL: (not making recommendations. Saying what worked for me) I split my Nitro Caps in half and spread total dose throughout day. Significantly less side-effects. Anything to reduce head pressure. I used a BetaBlocker & caffeine. BENADRYL !!! The Tinnitus & stiff neck will go away. It's a rough ride, but better than needing a kidney transplant. Good luck my friends."

Tyler Durden 1101 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible tablet I have ever taken but cleared it up but on the 3rd day feeling sick from having to dissolve the tablet in a drink and then drinking as I can't seem the swallow it and it dissolves as soon as I put it in my mouth. I wouldn't recommend it as it's the first time ever I've felt so nauseous from taking a UTI tablet as before I was on the capsules and I could swallow them perfectly and didn't feel any nausea."

Amb43 January 24, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I've had a UTI for 2 weeks, treated with two other antibiotics, which did not really work. Last night I suddenly developed fever, chills and body aches, 5 days after the last antibiotic dose. I went to the ER and I was given a Nitrofurantoin pill as soon as blood and urine test were completed. By this morning, not only the fever had gone, but for the first time in two weeks I have no pain, and urine test is totally clear. I hope to avoid side effects, as I need to take it for another 6 days. All I can report is mild tiredness, but I have been tired for the past two weeks, so I cannot attribute this to Nitrofurantoin."

sara70 January 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This is the worst I've felt without being called sick. Headaches, neckache, fatigue, depression while I was taking it. Stopped taking the medication half way through. Now I'm on Cipro. I will NEVER take this medication again. Makes you wonder if there was a trial period before it was put on the market. I'm usually tolerant of medication, and I know I have a high pain threshold, but this was something else. Also makes me wonder about drug manufacturers, especially now with the presidential elections are fast approaching. Most women are the ones experiencing UTI's, and most CEO's who are in charge of these big drug companies are men. Go figure!"

Carolina gal (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is about my mom , 6 years ago my mom died because of this medicine , after 2 tablets she went to coma, and after 3 days she's gone . Please don't take this medicine . .."

Mysy January 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had to stop taking this after day 4 of 7. First time I was prescribed this. I am Allergic to sulfa antibiotics and usually have good results with amoxicillin with no side effects. This drug Gave me headaches, made me tired and experienced the most severe gas pains in my abdomen I've ever had for hours each day. Did help clear the UTI after a few days though. Hopefully 4 days was enough to keep UTI away."

Anonymous447 January 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I became very ill and had to go to a hospital."

Mambasian January 17, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Taken this drug for a suspected UTI - never again will I ever take this! Day 2 of taking 4 a day. I developed bad chills and fever, dizzy and drowsiness - felt like my eyes were rolling. Severe headache, sickness and extreme tiredness, pounding heart and tight chest. Never felt this ill. Obviously I have stopped taking it. I am allergic to trimethoprim too .. In a different way I come out in hives. Think twice about taking this drug.. I feel I have been poisoned. Still feel very ill today."

Fee45 January 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I suffer from recurrent UTI's. As soon as I feel one creeping up I take one of these and the symptoms are much better in a few hours and gone within the day. I take them twice a day for 7 days if I have an infection. No side effects."

Lex09 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "It's day two today and I have been running a high fever, I have the chills, extreme nausea, and I feel dizzy to the point of passing out. My UTI symptoms are still very much there. I've missed three days of work now. I've taken it with a big bowl of soup every time now as well. All I want to do is sleep. I'm pretty sure I slept over ten hours today so far, and I'm starting to get a headache now."

Anonymous January 11, 2016