User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 28 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 208 reviews 174 medications

5.3
Bladder Infection 123 reviews 68 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 359 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Bladder Infection: "I do not take any form medication and am not allergic to anything at all, but prescribed this drug for a UTI, 4 x100 mg for 7 days. After taking the tablets for 2 days the headaches started along with a intolerance to light, then I started to feel like I was having flu like symptoms, chilly with aching joints. I felt lethargic and began to feel quite weak, with a feeling of not being able to focus properly and feeling dizzy. So much so I did not feel comfortable to drive Spoke to my doctor and said I would not take any more (I was up to 5 days by then). The symptoms of my UTI are still there and going back for another antibiotic, will never take this drug again."

The explorer (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I suffer with painful bladder syndrome and this medicine I've taken to help prevent me from getting water infections due to the nature of having PBS. I have had water infections while being on this still so was really disappointed and has hit hard. In my experience I don't think these are good for preventing water infections for my individual case."

Lunacat December 26, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Worst antibiotic ever! Slept almost non-stop for days. Could not eat/nausea. Severe chills. Extreme pain in neck,shoulder knees,(anywhere that I had minor arthritis). Throat closed up and could barely breathe. Lungs became congested. Very scary.The side effects were the worst of all antibiotics that I have ever taken. I will never take these again."

dlaett (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I had an extremely painful bladder infection and this medication worked by day 3. ...........I'm on day 6 now, one more day to go, The only side effect I had was feeling tired and achey but I slept more which helped. Also extreme anxiety from reading the scary reviews on here lol. This medicine saved me from a kidney infection."

deedeeking (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I tried taking this medicine twice. Both times I could only get to the second or third dose before being affected. It does cure the UTI however, I awoke with a terrible headache and a weird sensation in my eyes. By the second dose this weird sick feeling increased so much that I can only describe it as a poisoned feeling. As I have never been allergic or sensitive to anything I stupidly tryed it again. Same result."

Mary Ann K December 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Please read!!! Presccribed macrobid 100mg for bladder infection. Took the first dose at 5pm after a full meal (on the advise of my Dr who warned slight stomach irritation) around 2 am I woke up vomitting yellow bile which lasted for several hours. I was shaking and sweating and couldn't even keep water down. I'm on my 4th dose and symptoms are subsiding..I feel like I'm going to vomit, have a headache and am extremely dizzy. Please be careful when taking this its like a flu in pill form!"

Am1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My mother took it for UTI. after the fouth dose, she had shaking chills, fever, chest pain and upper back pain. I am not sure whether this is caused by UTI itself or from the medication, hope that she recovers"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa December 23, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been prescribed a course for 4 days of this antibiotic. Took 3 doses yesterday and felt a little off but manageable. However, today I have felt horrendous. Dizzy to the point of nearly passing out. Hot and cold chills. So tired it's untrue and general scariness to go to sleep because if feeling so bad. Awful medication."

Cazlarr December 22, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I read the side effects before taking this medicine, which you should probably never do, but I decided to give it a try anyways. Took one dose and was fine, after the next dose I started feeling not good. Got the chills and a slight fever, and made my already existing anxiety worse. It did however, make the urinary symptoms subside. However, when my original urinary culture returned, no bacteria was found??? needless to say, because of the side effects, I stopped after two doses."

hayck December 20, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "Very bad medicine I can hardly open my eyes and the headache didn't stop since day one!"

Anonymous December 18, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Taken 3 doses of this stuff for UTI It's godawful... I went to work with a boiling forehead and headaches, took some pain pills for the headache but my forehead still felt like it was melting off. Go home, take my third dose, headache comes back and is wicked... my tongue is cramping and my throat feels strange, I'm afraid to fall asleep. Never taking this stuff ever again."

K-li (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this for a UTI last week. I took my first dose right before bed, and then woke up at 4am with a horrible headache and an extremely stiff neck. The symptoms persisted for two days and it was almost unbearable. I would not take this again if my life depended on it."

Uncomfortable and unhappy December 15, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with an antibiotic-resistant UTI in February 2015 and put on macrobid pending IV administration of a carbapenum and after two courses of cipro. I can't say for sure, but strongly suspect, that the macrobid caused an intracranial inflammatory response that precipitated rapid-onset hydrocephalus, for which I required surgical intervention in the form of a shunt. My brain felt hot and swollen, and I developed hideous prickly headaches, a shuffling gait and a tendency to walk into broom closets. When I called my doc and said I thought my brain was being killed by the stuff, she said, so, stop taking it. I'll never know if the macrobid was a cause, an agent, or happenstance, but would strongly urge extreme caution."

Muhair December 13, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this crap and started getting flu like symptoms, chills and very bad stomach pain. I couldn't eat, I felt like I was gonna die. It was a crippling experience. Laid in bed for two days. I stopped the medicine and am now feeling somewhat better. Please ask about side affects with dr. CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!"

Drugas December 8, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Day 1: felt a little "off" Day 2: severe headache, neck pain and flu like feeling in shoulders. No medication has relieved this intense headache. Pharmacist advised to discontinue immediately and call doctor for a different prescription tomorrow."

klhill (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had macrobid twice now for UTI and I feel like I'm gonna die, can't take a lot of antibiotics bc I am allergic to penicillin and sulfates. But this medication scares the hell outta me, I'm pregnant and I've stopped taking it for three days and symptoms haven't disappeared"

Dp251 December 2, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I love this medicine. It works in the first 24 hours!"

Rachel-photos December 1, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've only started taking this medication today I'm meant to take 4 tablets a day. After my 3rd tablet I feel extremely nauseated with severe stomach cramps and so fatigued. I don't think I can last another 2 days on this medication. I'm seriously thinking whether to go in work or not tomorrow because I feel so bad."

Nat09 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Received Macrobid through IV and RX to go. Took for six days. Felt bad the whole time. Been off for five days now. UTI is back. Cipro has always worked best for me. Will call doctors office tomorrow."

Wanda W (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Be aware. I was prescribed this med both for recurrent UTI's and prophylactic use. After using it for years, I suffered full body toxicity and now have been completely disabled by this medicine. I presented to the ER on several occasions, with burning in my hands and feet, and to my doctor. Nobody made the connection. I kept using the medicine. I am now disabled with severe body wide neuropathy that appears to be permanent. It is a living hell. Beware using this drug long term. It has ruined my life. I am homebound with severe bodywide neuropathic pain and am in "pain management" with no relief"

swim2lakes November 26, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I can't say whether or not this was successful at treating my UTI because I had to stop on the third day. I was experiencing severe side effects, including chest pain and numbness in my hands and arms. Also it was rather expensive, even with my insurance, after I stopped taking it my doctor prescribed Keflex which worked and was only $2.00 a month."

frances123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "Had a bladder infection was in great discomfort a few hours and 1 pill later much better 8 of 14 pills later feeling nauseated most of the time even wakes me up but will complete course as only 2nd time in 20 years of infection. I also suggest drinking lots of water and cranberry juice every day will help"

Savin November 24, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After taking two capsules I woke up the next morning drenched in sweat. Followed by severe chills and high fever (103 to 104). With each dose, my symptoms multiplied. Nauseous, vomiting, severe body aches, swollen knee and hand joints, headaches, diarrhea, swollen and painful neck. After 9 doses my doctor instructed me to stop taking the medicine and I started improving. I am left with night sweats and lack of appetite."

Gee1118 (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have been on macrobid twice for bladder infections. It cleared them up, but the side effects knocked me off my feet for days. Fever of 101 - 102 and flu-like achiness and wicked headaches or the entire time I was on the medication. The first time I took it the doctor said I must have had the flu too. The second time I called him after three days and had him switch me to another antibiotic."

SuzeR22 November 21, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took a dose, felt weird and went to sleep. Took my second dose twelve hrs later and feel so weird. My left eye hurts, my neck hurts. I will not take another dose of this. I am terrified of the side effects I am having from this. Anyone who is considering should think again. Although some people may have a good experience, you never know."

Ref72386 November 20, 2015