User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 21 reviews 29 medications

4.9
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 152 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by Angie F:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've never had a reaction to any antibiotics, but this one brought me to the ER. After 24 hours I began feeling flu like symptoms, 48 hours later I had symptoms of bronchitis, after 4 days I was covered in hives. I had assumed that I picked up a virus from the clinic when I went in for the urinary tract infection, so I didn't correlate all my symptoms to reactions from the Macrobid. When I broke out into hives, I finally realized something was going on. After a visit to the ER and steroids, I'm feeling better. It's been 24 hours off the Macrobid, and I can breathe again, flu symptoms gone, and I have my energy back. That was a rough 6 days in bed.

September 11, 2013 10:04 AM
Review by kitkat12: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've been taking Macrobid for urinary tract infections for years with no problem, it always worked really fast. This time I got a severe headache within an hour of taking the first pill, I didn't connect it to the Macrobid and took the second dose which was a big mistake. The headache was like a migraine and took two days to go away.

September 5, 2013 3:08 PM
Review by amber19630: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Bladder Infection: 12 hours after taking this medicine, I had every symptom of a bad case of the flu, body aches, severe headache, nausea. That coupled with sleeplessness and lack of appetite sent me to bed for 24 hours, the first time that has happened in years. I was switched to 500 mg cefaclor and all is well, no side effects and infection gone.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 3, 2013 12:29 PM
Review by applesauce123: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: Never had UTI before but I heard it was awful. When I got it didn't notice symptoms until 2 days later. Lots of blood in my urine so I went to a minut clinic and was prescribed Nitrofurantoin. After the 3rd day all symptoms were gone. The side effects were bad: nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. I think maybe the strength was too high but the urinary tract infection is gone so that's all I care about.

August 6, 2013 3:35 PM
Review by Chevol (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This antibiotic is a God send! I am allergic to Penicillins and Sulfas. At first I tried Cipro, it didn't work. I had kidney stones for 8 months, I finally got my second lithotripsy in June for an 8x9mm stone and then my kidney got infected. This is my fourth day on Macrobid and I have had no serious side effects except 1 bout of diarrhea on day 1, which was welcomed compared to the nausea and pain from the infection. Macrobid actually got rid of my nausea!

August 3, 2013 6:36 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Was peeing like crazy, approximately every 10 minutes. Decided to see my doctor, she prescribed Macrobid and within a day I can already notice results! I do feel a little queasy after taking this pill but more food always helps. This is the best thing ever! I now don't have to worry if my Co-workers would notice my frequent trips to the washroom, and I don't hurt anymore.

July 17, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by TSIBM: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: 65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time.

July 12, 2013 8:17 PM
Review by esmee94: User Rating:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have suffered from recurrent urinary tract infections since I became sexually active. I would get an infection every time I had sex with my boyfriend. I tried countless courses of antibiotics which apparently cleared the infection but when I had sex again i got another one. finally my doctor put me on nitrofurantoin and this cleared the infection immediately. I have still to finish the course. I haven't had sex while taking the last few courses to make sure the infection has cleared fully!

July 7, 2013 10:51 PM
Review by Chriswhjay: User Rating:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Started experiecing pain peeing and went for a quick dip test after blood in urine was strongly apparant. Prescribed Trimethoprim for a week and cleared it up very quickly however it came back. On the sixth day the doctor rang me urgently saying I needed to take these 4 times a day for a week. No side effects at all. Possible constipation however this could be due to not wanting to eat/doing less exercise. No chest pains or anything and very quickly cleared up any remaining symptoms. Thank you Macrodantin!

June 29, 2013 2:39 PM
Review by Gramcracker of 6: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: Cleared up my urinary tract infection almost immediately, however 1 week after finishing the treatment I had what I thought was an asthma attack and then noticed a rash on my legs. My doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the nitrofurantoin. Not being able to breath is too scary so I will go with a different medicine if I get another urinary tract infection.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 7, 2013 4:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Luckily had no side effects on this antibiotic. I made sure to take it with a big meal each time though, so that might have helped. I was put on Bactrim for a previous urinary tract infection and it was horrible. Nausea, felt like I had a fever, increased my heart rate etc. I'm glad I found this and hope I can take it again if I get another urinary tract infection. The only thing I noticed was that it brought back a weird cough I usually only get after a bad cold. My doctor calls it a bronchial spasm. It hasn't gone away after having been off the medicine for 3 weeks, but it was so mild compared to when I get it with a cold that I can easily deal with it.

June 2, 2013 5:15 PM
Review by LKFM (taken for less than 1 month):

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: Side effects: Headache, flu like symptoms, lower and middle back pain, nausea, lower abdominal pain, dizziness.

May 30, 2013 5:38 PM
Review by Nicole Sch.: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I had frequent chronic urinary tract infection, getting one every 1.5-2 months. After a few years of being on and off different antibiotics, one doctor decided I needed to go on Nitrofurantoin at low dosage 50 mg/day for one whole year. I took one tablet for 365 days and haven't had a UTI in 4 years now. I am thankful for this MD.

May 24, 2013 10:02 PM
Review by Dani Vis: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I need to use nitrofurantoin at least once a year due to bladder infection. I was used to take Bactrim and the stomach side effects were much worse. This is a life saver, and puts me together. I had a bladder infection crisis last night, and I'm at work now, pretty all right.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 13, 2013 1:24 PM
Review by AMoonlitStar (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I have had frequently reoccurring urinary tract infections for almost 15 years and tried pretty much every trick out there to prevent them, to no avail. When discussing this with an Ob/Gyn she decided to prescribe Macrobid to be taken on days of intercourse in order to prevent me from getting another infection. I went from getting an infection every couple of months to not having one for a year and a half, until I ran out of the medication. The only side effect was a change in urine color which did not have an effect on my quality of life beyond wearing panty liners as a precautionary measure on days I had taken it to ensure my underwear did not get stained. Taking this to prevent infections was a life changer for me.

March 4, 2013 11:07 PM
Review by hello2013 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Doctor prescribed Macrobid for a week for urinary tract infection. It did give me some relief initially however my infection is back. I'm scheduled to see my Dr tomorrow.

January 30, 2013 1:34 PM
Review by AdaFM: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: The side effects of joint pain, upper back pain, chills, digestive issues stii haunt one month after I took the medication. The side effects were horrible!

January 25, 2013 10:12 AM
Review by LarzKravitz: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I too suffer from frequent urinary tract infections. I am now on round 2 of this medicine. My last pill was 4 days ago and I had a re-occurance of my irritable bladder symptoms the next day. My doctor gave me 7 more days. I did feel sick in the beginning when I would take them with nausea and I felt like I had the flu. Headache is common too. I feel flushed as soon as they kick in usually. I do always take them with food and so far I am just not impressed. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

January 23, 2013 12:07 PM
Review by Katillac (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I suffer from recurring urinary tract infections and Macrobid has always worked fast and really well. I've noticed after prolonged use though my body has developed a bit of an immunity to it and doesn't work as fast anymore. Also it now gives me yeast infections so I have to try something else.

January 21, 2013 5:01 PM
Review by polyphenol (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I am 60 and taking nitrofurantin for the first time. My urinary tract infection was totally out of control. In two days I feel a lot better not 100% I FEEL VERY TIRED, A BIT CONFUSED like I am sleepy after getting 8 hours sleep. I am avoiding exercise today. I do have asthma so my breathing is more stressed from this. I had a headache and vision problems.

January 2, 2013 4:49 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I took Macrobid 100mg about half hour ago and I'm feeling fine, no side effect yet. Hopefully not at all.

December 24, 2012 10:31 AM
Review by Bumblebees Butterfly (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I suffered severe headaches & nausea for hours from the very first dose & every dose thereafter. I would feel faint, overheated, extremely tired; I slept with the windows open and the heat off (it's winter). 4 days of taking Macrobid, I begin to have loose stools & severe muscles aches & neck stiffness. I began to have a sore throat & a dry cough on day 2. After stopping, within 24 hours I begin to itch severely. I've been off of it for 48 hours & I still have a headache & I use Benadryl for the itching. I was given Levaquin in 1 dose, then Macrobid 100 mg 2X a day for 10 days by the ER doctor. But my primary doctor thought it was an overkill and should have used just the Levaquin.

December 23, 2012 1:25 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I took Macrobid for 3 days, I started having muscle aches. Flu like symptoms and stiff neck and nausea.

December 1, 2012 3:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Day 2 I wondered why my feet were stinging and burning when I got ready to go to bed. Now I notice they are stinging again. I guess three days is enough for me.

October 12, 2012 3:23 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I'm having an allergic reaction to this right now. I thought I was coming down with the flu but it has to be this medication. I took my last pill two hours ago and waiting for it to get out of my system.

September 30, 2012 12:26 PM