User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 23 reviews 29 medications

7.7
Urinary Tract Infection 116 reviews 163 medications

Bladder Infection 85 reviews 79 medications

5.1
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 224 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed this medication for urinary tract infection since I had c-diff last year and cannot take the stronger antibiotics right now. Could tell difference in bladder pressure and pain within two days however dealing with the side effect of headache, being sleepy and muscle aches makes me ready to get this all taken."

maryann9746 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medication made me feel awful. I woke up everyday with a bad headache, experienced nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness throughout the week (everyday). I don't think I can finish the full week as I need to resume my life. I wouldn't take this again. However the infection seems to be gone so it worked for that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!"

Grace2429 March 23, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I'm 19 and have had a number of bladder infections before, however, this time it was worse, I was prescribed nitrofurantoin and only found it worked at helping ease my kidney pain but I still had a burning sensation when I urinated and also had pain in my lower abdomen, which didn't clear when taking the tablets, even for a few days after I had finished my prescribed dosage I found I was still in pain. I would recommend for very minor and less serious infections."

ChloeEB March 22, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Haven't had a UTI in probably more than 10 years. Have recently been diagnosed with 2 in the last 3 months. Had Macrobid both times. The first time I ended up with fever and chills, but thought I was unlucky and had picked up a virus. Symptoms went away by the end of the treatment. When UTI came back, I was given the same medication. Within 12 hours of taking the first does, my fever and chills became so bad that I almost went to urgent care. Advil reduced the fever temporarily, but I won't take it again."

WGDMS (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again."

Gelly March 8, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took my first pill of macrobid last night and it caused nausea and it made me exhausted. I noticed when I was nauseous, I felt better if I ate something. It's like I constantly needed something in my stomach, but I felt miserable. I also had chills so I'm guessing I had a fever. I'm about to eat a heavy breakfast and take my next pill, hopefully this second dose goes okay. Otherwise my doctor is getting a phone call first thing Monday morning."

Lauren26 March 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Third day on it and I feel like I have the flu but without respiratory symptoms. Tired, muscle aches, headache, dizziness, nauseated. Still better than having to pee, painfully, every ten minutes."

Curieuxdelune (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours."

Ericaaloveschase February 28, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After reading the reviews of Macrobid, I was terrified to take it. As a person with severe acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, I was scared that I would have all these terrible experiences that people were describing. However, all of my doses were taken with a COMPLETE meal and I did not suffer from any side effects except for a slight headache."

Anonymous February 13, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also."

Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given Nitrofurantoin as two previous antibiotics hadn't helped to shift my kidney infection. I take 4 a day for 7 days and I'm halfway through my suggested dose. I have improved being on this medication but I can't feel the benefits as the nausea, vomiting and tiredness are too severe too notice the change. I feel constantly sick and occasional vomiting and extremely tired, I think it's the side effects of the tablets. I have barely been out of bed for a week, I hope to pick up soon."

Poppppp February 8, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this based on my symptoms and prior to the lab results coming back. My first dose was at 7 pm and the second at 7 am. By lunch the blood in my urine was gone and the pains were subsiding. I took as scheduled with no side effects and when my cultures came back it was confirmed a bladder infection. This medicine is fantastic."

NannyBooBoo (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I take this medicine for urinary tract infections during pregnancy. I am on it now again for the third time. Take twice a day for seven days. The side effect I get comes right after the first pill. I get flu like symptoms: sore joints, chills, sleepiness and extreme weakness. However, no fever. Took one Tylenol and sweated it out while sleeping woke up better. But, this medicine works really well after the first dosage."

missrk (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated."

JME momma January 19, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine."

Doglover782 January 18, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose."

Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!"

ankegram3 January 11, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Very effective antibiotic--cleared symptoms within 24 hours. Side effects are terrible. You will feel like you have the stomach flu or food poisoning--fever, chills, and extreme nausea. I would recommend taking it with a big meal. I feel marginal (not wonderful) eating a big lunch and taking it, but eating a relatively small dinner and taking the pill 3 hours later, I spent the night thinking I had another illness besides the infection. Probably will ask for a different antibiotic if this happens again. Aside from slight nausea, I never react to medications, and this is all new to me."

A-nonny-mouse (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "This is the second time I am taking Nitrofurantoin within a 2 months period. I waited 6 days for the infection to improve by its own but it didn't. The side effects are fast! dizziness, slight headache and nausea (salivating all the time), stomach ache, reflux after eating and sleepiness. However the symptoms of discomfort while urinating also improved really fast. My only advice would be as well to drink lots of water with lime juice (that helped me to control the salivating-nauseous situation) and eat a lot of fresh yogurt to keep under control bowel flora."

Arepa (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

For Bladder Infection: "It doesn't work for me one bit."

sgt_ike (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2014

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "At first it wasn't working, but the closer I got to finishing the pills it was clearing up. I made sure I ate before I took the pill to avoid getting sick. It made me extremely sleepy though."

Kera Ann December 7, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Taking 100mg 2xs daily for urinary tract infection. On day 5 of 7 with limited side effects. I have a severe allergy to many medications but thankfully no severe reaction to this one. I noticed the nausea is alleviated if you drink a full 8oz glass of water with each dose and continue drinking water throughout the day. I work long hours so not sure if the drowsiness is caused by the medication or not. Some vaginal itching and discomfort but so far no vaginal infection. Doctor recommended I eat yogurt daily while on this medication and I am following doctor's orders! I have felt some dizziness but it isn't constant."

Want a nap (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2014

For Bladder Infection: "First time taking Nitrofurantoin. I have a urinary tract infection about twice a year and have been on a few different things. I can not take sulfur based medicines as they produce a rash and can no longer take Cipro as it has caused panic in me before. I am taking a 10 day course 4 times a day of Nitro. On the positive, I felt almost immediate relief from the urgency of the UTI after taking the first pill. It changes the color of urine to a bright yellow, and from the first urination after taking the Nitro the urgency was gone. This medicine did cause me to feel slightly sick the first few times I took it, and also causes me to be in bed at 8:30 pm every night, other than that works fantastic"

Ihatetakingmeds October 17, 2014