User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 77 reviews 158 medications

5.9
Bladder Infection 65 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 164 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by PollyWollyDoodle:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I am currently taking Macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I've been taking it twice a day for going on 4 days now. I was very very leery of this medication, because when I was pregnant 4 years ago, it was prescribed to me for a UTI. I took it and was really ill. I felt like I had the flu...weak, chills, nausea, horrible headaches. My doctor gave it to me and I was scared to take it, but with my last UTI the Cipro didn't knock it out. I'm happy to report that this time, I am doing fine on it. No side effects, but the UTI symptoms are pretty much gone. Make sure you take this ON A FULL STOMACH! Not with a glass of milk, not with a snack, not BEFORE eating...a full stomach!

November 22, 2013 9:38 AM

Review by No more Macro Bid:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: First time I took MacroBid for UTI, after a few days I developed flu like symptoms, fever, aches and pains, heart racing, bronchial congestion. After the infection came back I took it again and only one dose brought back all the side effects and more. I went on line to see if I was alone and I am one of many with this reaction and worse. Thank God for the Internet.

November 14, 2013 4:14 PM

Review by AmandaSue93:

For Bladder Infection: After taking the first pill within an hour I had a severe migraine, accompanied by vomiting and sweating. I just took the second pill to make sure it was the Macrobid and if so I'm calling the doc first thing in the morning

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 9:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I have a body prone to getting urinary tract infections so i was prescribed nitrofurantoin as a preventative. I take the medicine after intercourse and I haven't had a UTI in over a year and a half. Before, I had one at least every three weeks. I have never experienced any negative side effects. I have taken at least 200 pills since I first started it, however, I never take it with an actual meal. Just crackers and a lot of water. I hope this helps!!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 4:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This is the first and last time I ever take this drug! After 24 hours of it in my system, I started having flu like symptoms. I could feel my sinuses draining down my throat, I began to have a horrible cough. Granted at first I seemed to be getting better, but by the night of day four, my eyes are all itchy and watery, my nose is constantly running, constantly coughing. Now on day five, I took my last pill. Still feeling like crap, still all the same symptoms from day four. Hoping this goes away soon before I return to the ER once more.

November 4, 2013 6:25 PM

Review by teresa J (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I'm a diabetic and have frequent UTI'S. I have used this drug and after the first dose I have had relief. I'm allergic to EVERYTHING but so far I have had not one side effect.

October 31, 2013 8:35 AM

Review by ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also

October 31, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by Candice Ice:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: My urinary tract infection symptoms were not nearly as painful as the side effects of this medicine. It cleared up the UTI in a day but by the second day, it was nausea, extreme fatigue, no appetite, joint and muscle pain, stomach pain and complete weakness, chills and fever. Pharmacist said it was probably the UTI. Now it's day 5 and I'm in agony. Stopping Macrobid and calling the doctor in the morning.

October 13, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by cccccddddd (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I am 62 years old. Took this for a urinary tract infection. I had no effects except mild hives and I am usually hypersensitive to all antibiotics. It cleared up my UTI after 10 days of taking it and I am very pleased. Don't be afraid to take it just because some have bad effects. It may just work for you!

October 13, 2013 11:02 PM

Review by solie (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Took this med for 2 days and calling doctor this morning and not taking next pill. I feel worse then, as if I have the flu. Cannot sleep, sweating hot and cold headaches and nauseous even with taking the pill after I eat. This isn't for me at all.

September 25, 2013 7:29 AM

Review by Tyson16 (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I was given this medicine to take for seven days, four times a day. Within the first day or so of taking it I was suffering with a feeling of acid stomach, nausea, complete lack of appetite.

September 23, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: I get recurrent bouts of cystitis and am resistant to trimethoprim and penicillins, so my doctor prescribes nitrofurantoin. It is normally effective around 48-72 hours into the course, but I do find that despite taking the pills with food, I do get very nauseous. I can cope with that better than I can cope with a urinary tract infection, though!

September 18, 2013 12:49 PM

Review by Angie F:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've never had a reaction to any antibiotics, but this one brought me to the ER. After 24 hours I began feeling flu like symptoms, 48 hours later I had symptoms of bronchitis, after 4 days I was covered in hives. I had assumed that I picked up a virus from the clinic when I went in for the urinary tract infection, so I didn't correlate all my symptoms to reactions from the Macrobid. When I broke out into hives, I finally realized something was going on. After a visit to the ER and steroids, I'm feeling better. It's been 24 hours off the Macrobid, and I can breathe again, flu symptoms gone, and I have my energy back. That was a rough 6 days in bed.

September 11, 2013 10:04 AM

Review by kitkat12:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've been taking Macrobid for urinary tract infections for years with no problem, it always worked really fast. This time I got a severe headache within an hour of taking the first pill, I didn't connect it to the Macrobid and took the second dose which was a big mistake. The headache was like a migraine and took two days to go away.

September 5, 2013 3:08 PM

Review by amber19630:

For Bladder Infection: 12 hours after taking this medicine, I had every symptom of a bad case of the flu, body aches, severe headache, nausea. That coupled with sleeplessness and lack of appetite sent me to bed for 24 hours, the first time that has happened in years. I was switched to 500 mg cefaclor and all is well, no side effects and infection gone.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2013 12:29 PM

Review by applesauce123:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Never had UTI before but I heard it was awful. When I got it didn't notice symptoms until 2 days later. Lots of blood in my urine so I went to a minut clinic and was prescribed Nitrofurantoin. After the 3rd day all symptoms were gone. The side effects were bad: nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. I think maybe the strength was too high but the urinary tract infection is gone so that's all I care about.

August 6, 2013 3:35 PM

Review by Chevol (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This antibiotic is a God send! I am allergic to Penicillins and Sulfas. At first I tried Cipro, it didn't work. I had kidney stones for 8 months, I finally got my second lithotripsy in June for an 8x9mm stone and then my kidney got infected. This is my fourth day on Macrobid and I have had no serious side effects except 1 bout of diarrhea on day 1, which was welcomed compared to the nausea and pain from the infection. Macrobid actually got rid of my nausea!

August 3, 2013 6:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Was peeing like crazy, approximately every 10 minutes. Decided to see my doctor, she prescribed Macrobid and within a day I can already notice results! I do feel a little queasy after taking this pill but more food always helps. This is the best thing ever! I now don't have to worry if my Co-workers would notice my frequent trips to the washroom, and I don't hurt anymore.

July 17, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by TSIBM:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: 65 years old, never had a urinary tract infection before, (now I know what they are!) probably had it for months, related symptoms to nurse friend, she said to call DR., sounds like a UTI. Doctor gave Macrobid prescription, 20 hours later after first couple capsules, had 99% relief. Continued taking for two weeks and didn't have side effects, as far as I could determine. I won't wait months before calling physician next time.

July 12, 2013 8:17 PM

Review by esmee94:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have suffered from recurrent urinary tract infections since I became sexually active. I would get an infection every time I had sex with my boyfriend. I tried countless courses of antibiotics which apparently cleared the infection but when I had sex again i got another one. finally my doctor put me on nitrofurantoin and this cleared the infection immediately. I have still to finish the course. I haven't had sex while taking the last few courses to make sure the infection has cleared fully!

July 7, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by Chriswhjay:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Started experiecing pain peeing and went for a quick dip test after blood in urine was strongly apparant. Prescribed Trimethoprim for a week and cleared it up very quickly however it came back. On the sixth day the doctor rang me urgently saying I needed to take these 4 times a day for a week. No side effects at all. Possible constipation however this could be due to not wanting to eat/doing less exercise. No chest pains or anything and very quickly cleared up any remaining symptoms. Thank you Macrodantin!

June 29, 2013 2:39 PM

Review by Gramcracker of 6:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Cleared up my urinary tract infection almost immediately, however 1 week after finishing the treatment I had what I thought was an asthma attack and then noticed a rash on my legs. My doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the nitrofurantoin. Not being able to breath is too scary so I will go with a different medicine if I get another urinary tract infection.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2013 4:04 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Luckily had no side effects on this antibiotic. I made sure to take it with a big meal each time though, so that might have helped. I was put on Bactrim for a previous urinary tract infection and it was horrible. Nausea, felt like I had a fever, increased my heart rate etc. I'm glad I found this and hope I can take it again if I get another urinary tract infection. The only thing I noticed was that it brought back a weird cough I usually only get after a bad cold. My doctor calls it a bronchial spasm. It hasn't gone away after having been off the medicine for 3 weeks, but it was so mild compared to when I get it with a cold that I can easily deal with it.

June 2, 2013 5:15 PM

Review by LKFM (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Side effects: Headache, flu like symptoms, lower and middle back pain, nausea, lower abdominal pain, dizziness.

May 30, 2013 5:38 PM

Review by Nicole Sch.:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I had frequent chronic urinary tract infection, getting one every 1.5-2 months. After a few years of being on and off different antibiotics, one doctor decided I needed to go on Nitrofurantoin at low dosage 50 mg/day for one whole year. I took one tablet for 365 days and haven't had a UTI in 4 years now. I am thankful for this MD.

May 24, 2013 10:02 PM