User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 23 reviews 29 medications

7.7
Urinary Tract Infection 129 reviews 159 medications

Bladder Infection 87 reviews 72 medications

5.1
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 239 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "First day worked fine, although will say my pee was neon...wasnt expecting that. Second day however, tired all of the time with a killer headache that doesnt seem to go away and very cold and achey. Good that I can finally sleep after three nights of not being able to (great bank holiday that was) and pain went after the first two tablets were taken. This is the second time ive been on these, would definitely take again."

Anon.. May 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Taking Macroboid has saved my life! I have been prone to UTIs since I was sexually active and have had bladder infections by whole life. I have tried everything from Cipro (makes my feet swollen) to Bactrum (doesn't cure) amongst many others. I was very surprised by the other reviews so felt the need to write one because it has been the best medication to help prevent me from getting another UTI- as long as I take food with it, I am fine."

Mariemc May 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Developed interstitial lung disease and hypoxia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started this medicine for my UTI I always ate a meal with this pill I really did not experience any sickness I was on it for 7 days . I have trouble anxiety but it was not too bad but it seemed like this medicine made me more anxious at times then on my last few days I felt a little weird at times then on my last day taking the medicine I woke up with my throat scratchy then by evening I had a fever and bad chills I didn't take the last pill because I felt so bad my head kinda hurts too I don't know if it's this medicine for sure or if I'm catching a virus"

Ctmrdm28 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I decided to do some research to make sure that I was prescribed the correct thing, I had never heard of an antibiotic starting with Nitro? After reading the scary reviews I contacted my doctor's office and they assured me they have multiple patients that have been prescribed it, and with good results. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 10 days, and I wouldn't even know I was on it other than a change in the color of my urine. I feel completely normal and have no side effects, and it is getting the job done! I felt better after one day."

czerw1tl (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed macrobid for a UTI. I took my first pill last night with rice and bread, felt fine. Woke up this morning to get ready for work and had to sit down in the shower I got so nauseous. Couldn't even finish washing out my shampoo and had to lean over the toilet because I thought I would throw up. Held it in and almost passed out walking back to my bed. Slept another three hours then got up to try to make toast and got too nauseous and dizzy to even wait on the toaster. The UTI already feels much better after one pill but I have never felt so miserable, am missing work, and have called my doctor to try to get off this medication."

Anonymous April 28, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Started macrobid no rection first day second day felt congested in my chest which was weird by that night I had cold fingers and toes and very sore joints, toes, fingers, ankles and worst of all the knees. Feel really awful have stopped the antibiotic never again. Can't wait to feel normal again"

luckytubs April 27, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have a longstanding history with urinary tract infections. I was getting them 1-2x a month and one instance it was so bad I even went to the ER. At that point my doctor prescribed nitrofurantin 100 mg as a preventative method, which works. However, this time around when she prescribed it to treat a UTI (100 mg 2x a day for 7 days) it was one of the worst medication experiences ever. The side effects were TERRIBLE. I have never experienced such bad nausea in my life. I had splitting migraines, could barely open my eyes, & felt like I was going to vomit. Lasted the entire day in waves. I also took on a full stomach with water and it still didn't help. Also, only slightly dimished UTI symptoms the first day providing moderate relief."

CB1992 April 21, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "This is the second time I have been prescribed this drug and it has done nothing but prolong my pain. There has to be something better than this for UTI's, it was not a shock for me to see all of the low reviews on it."

NotSoLucky (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Yellow neon pee, dizzy, headaches"

Catsz April 12, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "Every single time my doc prescribes this I beg for something different! The side effects for me start right after the first dose and continue to get worse. Extremely nauseated, splitting headache, muscles aching especially in my neck; dizziness loss of appetite and just an all over feeling of being sick! My daughter just came over to help take care of me and just named several other medicines that are very effective for bladder infections without the side effects! "

Stylist CD April 11, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It was 5am in the morning when I first started with the symptoms. My prescription for macrobid was ready by 9:30am . I took my first dose by 10am. By about 1pm I was able to fall asleep since the pain and urgency to run to the bathroom subsided. Thank goodness"

sinceresis April 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking."

Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had flu like symptoms when I first started taking it. Now every morning I'm throwing up. The urinary tract infection is getting better, but this medicine is awful."

andrealynnee March 30, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I can say this medication hasn't worked for me, I still have the infection after taking the course, plus an extra course. What I did find was I became very dizzy, I got blurred vision, and nauseous, I suffer with vertigo, and this medicine made that worse, also I got constipation and lack of appetite. So it was not a happy experience taking this medicine."

paulwg March 28, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed this medication for urinary tract infection since I had c-diff last year and cannot take the stronger antibiotics right now. Could tell difference in bladder pressure and pain within two days however dealing with the side effect of headache, being sleepy and muscle aches makes me ready to get this all taken."

maryann9746 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medication made me feel awful. I woke up everyday with a bad headache, experienced nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness throughout the week (everyday). I don't think I can finish the full week as I need to resume my life. I wouldn't take this again. However the infection seems to be gone so it worked for that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!"

Grace2429 March 23, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I'm 19 and have had a number of bladder infections before, however, this time it was worse, I was prescribed nitrofurantoin and only found it worked at helping ease my kidney pain but I still had a burning sensation when I urinated and also had pain in my lower abdomen, which didn't clear when taking the tablets, even for a few days after I had finished my prescribed dosage I found I was still in pain. I would recommend for very minor and less serious infections."

ChloeEB March 22, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Haven't had a UTI in probably more than 10 years. Have recently been diagnosed with 2 in the last 3 months. Had Macrobid both times. The first time I ended up with fever and chills, but thought I was unlucky and had picked up a virus. Symptoms went away by the end of the treatment. When UTI came back, I was given the same medication. Within 12 hours of taking the first does, my fever and chills became so bad that I almost went to urgent care. Advil reduced the fever temporarily, but I won't take it again."

WGDMS (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again."

Gelly March 8, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took my first pill of macrobid last night and it caused nausea and it made me exhausted. I noticed when I was nauseous, I felt better if I ate something. It's like I constantly needed something in my stomach, but I felt miserable. I also had chills so I'm guessing I had a fever. I'm about to eat a heavy breakfast and take my next pill, hopefully this second dose goes okay. Otherwise my doctor is getting a phone call first thing Monday morning."

Lauren26 March 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Third day on it and I feel like I have the flu but without respiratory symptoms. Tired, muscle aches, headache, dizziness, nauseated. Still better than having to pee, painfully, every ten minutes."

Curieuxdelune (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours."

Ericaaloveschase February 28, 2015