User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 30 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 254 reviews 181 medications

Bladder Infection 139 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 423 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I would not choose this drug again. SEVERE abd pain, i was in clinical on the 3 day of it and i barely could walk, it gets worse when i sat down. The pain is so bad i almost passed out. Do NOT recommend this to any one!!"

RebeccaBecca April 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After day 3, had difficulty swallowing and terrible anxiety badly enough that I couldn't swallow pills or food without regurgitation. I started taking Prilosec thinking acid reflux. Even an Advil pill creeped up my esophagus and lodged into my throat. It went from bad to worse. Was living on a liquid diet. Had to see a Gastro doc and Ear Nose and Throat doc. My throat was scoped, found nothing. 3 days after getting off both Macrobid and Prilosec my symptoms went away. Fourth day off was given a swallow test which I passed. I am now able to eat solid foods without feeling as if I am going to choke to death."

WickedChowdah (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was giving this medication for a UTI. By day 2, I honestly thought I was dying. I had severe back pain and headache, both unrelieved by Excedrin which usually works great. I felt spaced out and unable to concentrate...achy all over like I had the flu. Last night my heart started racing and my chest felt so tight, I felt l was going into anaphylaxis. I have never had an allergic reaction to a medication, so no sure if these symptoms are side effects or allergic reaction, but $30 worth of medication went in the trash because it isn't worth the risk. I have a call into my doctor who will hopefully call in something different."

DGraphicington (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "terrible pain continuously in shoulder arm neck legs macroBid side effects crying because of severity of pain depressing pain hope i am not permanately damaged bymacroBid will report to GP feelings of DOOM"

trynomore (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Don't be scared reading the reviews! I made the mistake of looking at this website's user reviews on nitrofurantoin and was so terrified of taking the pill, I had to call my PCP at night to calm myself down. It's really IMPORTANT to note that you have to take this drug AFTER eating a substantial meal. I was prescribed to take it 2 times a day, but whatever your dosage is - just remember to take it with food. There was only one day when I had the antibiotic after only eating a few pieces of fruit, and I suffered from mild nausea. But aside from that, I didn't have any other side effects - so DON'T BE SCARED! Just try it out with food in your system. Good luck!"

N/A123 April 4, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I am on day two, on the third pill and I am already feeling like I have the flu.I have had a severe headache all day, my stomach has been hurting, fast heart rate and dry throat. I do experience a little bit of relief from the UTI. But first thing in the morning I am going to call my doctor to prescribe me something else.I couldn't imagine having to go the next five days taking this pill."

p_dot (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macro bid for a bladder infection. After I took the 2nd pill, I got severe shortness of breath, chest pain, high fever and diarrhea. Although not as bad as the first day, the symptoms continued into the second day of taking them. On the 3rd day, out of the blue, my vision was blurred/impeded by what I can only describe as bursts of light/sunbursts for about 20 minutes followed by severe headache and fatigue. Very scary! My bladder feels a bit better so I decided to stop the medication after only 3 days. Will ask the doctor for something else with less side effects if it continues."

macronot March 31, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 2 pills...... TWO PILLS!! Spent 3 hours in the ER with rapid heartbeats (over 100), chest tightness, anxiousness and the shakes. Hospital did an array of tests and told me to stop taking...... No sheet. Now the bad news..... Other doctor told me it can take up to a week to get drug out of system...... My advice..... Take one and wait a day or so to see how body responds...... In my case this pill was garbage and dangerous..... I have never had a reaction to a medicine like this...... Stay away from this antibiotic....."

Studad1 March 31, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After 1st pill symptoms of uti gone 2nday mild nausea. Best uti drug I have ever had. If u read the reviews you get scared silly"

Zara1 March 30, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection. By 3rd day in med I developed a horrible dry cough. I stopped taking at that point. I am now on another antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection. I will be sure to never take Macrobid again"

lmbwife (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Nitro reduced the ITU symptoms in day 1, however I had a very annoying side effect: pain in my eyes. Every time I would look to the side my eyes would hurt very badly. Started on day 2 and I had to stop taking the medicine on day 3. I then took ciprofloxacine and everything went well."

PatriciaRN March 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this drug had blinding headache pain behind my muscles so week I could hardly move but the worst thing was pain in my chest and difficult breathing rang doctor said u may have flu saw him next day after stopping tacking itstill should no concern at all just seen another doctor said she was not not not aware of such side effects told her to go on this site I don't know how anyone with concern for there patients can prescribe this drug without warning them first do not take if u have bad chest. at all"

Meede March 21, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I got prescribed this to take every 6 hours for a week after getting my second ever UTI 2 weeks after trimethoprim cleared up my first. About an hour after taking it I get a bit nauseous, have a bit of a headache and feel a bit tired, but it's 100x better than having a UTI. Would take it again."

Emily1994 March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I take 1 every 12 hrs, was given 10 pills & have 2 left & my uti symptoms are unchanged. It's only a slight infection & I only feel symptoms at night (which is odd). I have none of the other symptoms that people have stated in here. Kind of worrying if my uti will get worse."

tinamae1 March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI and the pain was unbearable! I am a 20 year old F and this is the first time I ever got a UTI. Not only was the pain horrible, but I also had blood in my urine. This medication worked really well for me! I took the first pill at night before bed and my pain decreased by like 70% !! By the end of the next day I was completely pain free but I still had to take this medication for 5 days, twice a day (100mg). The only thing is that if I took this on an empty stomach, I would get really nauseous. With food, I had minimal to no nausea. I did feel drowsy/ sleepy 45 minutes after taking this medication. I did not have a bad experience like the reviews so there is some good to this medication."

MarieleeL March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking this tablet for three days now and symptoms have got worse . Pain on right side is still very sore and constant need to go to bathroom . Constant nausea . Flu like symptoms chills all over feel so exhausted depressed. I have a rash started on my face chest and back . I am only over the flu . I saw my doctor today and he has given me ceflacin . I would not recommend nurofanton to anyone it's horrendous ."

Anonymous March 18, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine for the first time last year and had no side effects. However, this time around I am feeling severe side effects. Dazed, diarrhea, light headache, extremely tired, and it's making me feel depressed! I am almost positive that if I call my Dr.'s office they will tell me to try and stick it out and finish the 7 day regimen so it can get rid of this UTI once and for all! Scary symptoms. If you are not one who can handle side effects very well I would stay away from this medicine!!!"

Anonymous March 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This antibiotic was complete hell. I took first dose within 2 hours I was dry heaving with an overall sick feeling. Before bed I took second dose woke up in the middle of the night with fever, chills, chest pain, pain when breathing and basically every flu like symptom. I called my dr and he saw me right away and did every test under the sun. I had a WBC count of over 20,000!!!! I was almost hospitalized and ended up having to get a shot of an antibiotic in my butt and was switched to Cipro. Never again !!!! Cipro from now on for me."

Caris24aa March 10, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I've taken Macrobid in the past, but I never noticed any side effects. This time, I felt very ill about two days in to a seven day regime. I had no idea what was wrong with me. My tongue felt numb, I got very lightheaded, and I felt like my life was draining out of me. I thought maybe I was developing a kidney infection, but I only had a low grade fever. I called my doctor, but she told me to only come in if my fever went over 100.5. I decided to see if Macrobid could have caused these symptoms and I stumbled across theses reviews. Wow! What an eye opener! I'm glad to know that it was the medicine and not some life-threatening illness. I'm glad the UTI is better, but it was scary when I thought I was about to die, lol."

Becky C (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "On the first day of the tablet I was perfectly fine, but the third day onwards was the worst. I had to take 4 a day for 7 days, and I did so, but the side effects were unbearable, I had back pains and gas in my stomach, but the worst was the nausea, they should definitely consider predcribing these tablets, they are the worst ones I have ever taken."

Ad3 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm 18 I got diagnosed with e.coli and this drug is clearing it up but I'm experiencing nausea fever fatigue and headaches.I take it 4 times a day for 7 days this drug Is horrible don't recommend it"

Shaun181 March 5, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I'm 11 weeks pregnant got prescribed this medication for UTI. even though I dont have it. ok. so took my first pill and felt the worst ever in my life. It's the worst drug I've ever taken. and I only took 1 pill instead of 2 . There is no way I'm taking this drug for 7 days"

NINa11 March 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I got a UTI maybe a couple days after my cycle ended and was trying to do home remedies, but my boss told me it's better to get antibiotics so I don't end up in the ER. I am on my third day of Macrobid and the only thing it really does is make me feel better, aside from using my energy to help me get better. So I really only feel fatigue, but I drink lots of water or things with Vitamin C, to help as well, and I take the capsule with bread. Other than the fatigue, it's dealing with my UTI so I can't complain."

lululuvscats February 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This was the worst thing I've ever taken. Within 15 minutes I started to get a cough. I got sicker from then on. Two hrs after dose I had a constant cough, pain in my chest, a fever, tremors and chills, muscle weakness, and a massive headache. I had to use the restroom and could hardly get there. On the way back to bed my legs just gave out under me. It took 12 hrs before my legs and arms worked right, about 14hrs for fever and It took 24 for my headache to subside. My chest is still sore. If I take a deep breath I will cough. I would not recommend this drug. My pharmacist and Drs office said that it sounds like I'm getting the flu because this drug doesn't do that. Read the side effects. It does it all!"

Allergic reaction February 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Felt suddenly spaced-out, sat down at my work desk and passed out. Luckily I was already in a hospital. A friend took this med and also passed out. She wasn't so lucky. She fell and suffered a concussion."

Graddo February 26, 2016