User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 83 reviews 160 medications

Bladder Infection 71 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 176 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by Mrs. Pita Flores:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: This medication cleared my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, but left me feeling super sleepy and dizzy! I guess it's a small price to pay for relief. I'm glad I have a few days off work though because I would not be able to work like this.

March 21, 2014 6:51 PM

Review by Baronmonty:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Taking this medicine for a prostate infection, I previously took another antibiotic that did nothing as it was a wide spectrum one until my results were in. I have struggled taking these pills, because they do make you feel a bit gassy and also I have struggled to get my breath a bit. My main worry was being sick on them, and because I am forcing myself to eat four fairly big meals a day I have not suffered half as much on that side as I thought. After reading all of the horror stories on here, it has not yet been quite as bad as I had thought it might be. I am about half of the way through the course, taking 100mg 4x a day. Going to try to get to the end, starting to feel a bit better. My urine is clear again but I still have the urge to go.

February 14, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by C.D. Knight:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I had no problem with this medication and my body is the anti-antibiotic! I am allergic to every antibiotic under the sun and avoid using them as much as possible, but I did not nip this urinary tract infection in the butt before it required a Dr.'s visit. I was instructed to take the pill twice a day for seven days. The first two days the medicines did make me feel a little drowsy, but I think my body adjusted. Just make sure you give yourself time to know how it will affect you before driving etc. I also would suggest taking it with a full meal. I did not experience any nausea, but I made it a point to only take my pills with a full stomach. I noticed results by the third day. I just finished the last dose and am feeling great.

February 12, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by Cindy8508:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine for two days then got this massive headache or migraine. My shoulders and neck hurt and my temples hurt to even touch them. My eyes hurt to move them and I had vomiting with it. I stopped taking it & went on something else.

February 5, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by Sunshiney67:

For Urinary Tract Infection: This antibiotic cleared up the urinary tract/Bladder infection very quickly but gave me the most severe headache of my life. In fact it wasn't a headache it was a brutal pain in my head that lasted for 3 days. I also have chills and my extremities feel cold. Otherwise, not too bad.

February 1, 2014 8:20 AM

Review by Alwayssick50198:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: For everyone posting bad reviews did any of you take it after eating a complete meal? I made the mistake of taking one before after eating a light snack and I got the fever chills etc. like everyone else, but if I take it after eating a good size meal then I'm fine. DON'T TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH! These antibiotics do work great! Don't let the bad reviews stop you from taking them just do what I said and eat real food and if you still have side effects then call your doctor. But from my experience as long as I eat no problems with them.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 7:05 AM

Review by lindyloop:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: this was extremely effective at treating my UTI but made me feel awful whilst taking it.. was like i had a hangover for days and my urine was bright neon coloured

January 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by mommy2matt (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Had a severe bladder infection..passing blood clots in my urine, pain, bladder spasms and urinating every 5minutes. I am allergic to sulphur drugs, penicillin, cipro & levaquin, so macrobid is really my only alternative. This is the second time I have taken it, the first time I remember no real side effects, this time I have experienced severe headache after the first 3 pills, then that subsided. Now, on my 12th pill out of 14, I have mild nausea and dizziness and drowsiness...nothing unbearable and definitely better than the pain of the bladder infection. Hopefully, I won't get another bladder infection, but that's wishful thinking, but I won't hesitate to use macrobid again.

January 19, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by LilDee75:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Started this medication yesterday morning. Been feeling nauseous, having chills, fevers, night sweats and bad headaches. About to take my third dose and I'm dreading it.

January 18, 2014 9:20 AM

Review by Rosiebean1993 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin 100mg for treatment of a urinary tract infection, 4 times daily with food. I started taking them and after the second tablet I felt so nauseous that I couldn't move. I continued taking the tablets even though I was aware they were causing the nausea, however the nausea became so bad I ended up vomiting and been taken to A&E.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2013 10:25 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Really awful feeling after a day of taking ths felt really down and anxious and totally exhausted

December 20, 2013 10:53 AM

Review by jessicawesternmass (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I understand the good outweigh the bad however, the past few days have been hell. I had honestly one the worst urinary tract infections I have ever had. I need the relief so I am going to continue with the meds. Within 24 hours of taking it, I had horrible diarrhea. I am pale, I keep drinking water.

November 25, 2013 9:59 AM

Review by PollyWollyDoodle:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I am currently taking Macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I've been taking it twice a day for going on 4 days now. I was very very leery of this medication, because when I was pregnant 4 years ago, it was prescribed to me for a UTI. I took it and was really ill. I felt like I had the flu...weak, chills, nausea, horrible headaches. My doctor gave it to me and I was scared to take it, but with my last UTI the Cipro didn't knock it out. I'm happy to report that this time, I am doing fine on it. No side effects, but the UTI symptoms are pretty much gone. Make sure you take this ON A FULL STOMACH! Not with a glass of milk, not with a snack, not BEFORE eating...a full stomach!

November 22, 2013 9:38 AM

Review by No more Macro Bid:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: First time I took MacroBid for UTI, after a few days I developed flu like symptoms, fever, aches and pains, heart racing, bronchial congestion. After the infection came back I took it again and only one dose brought back all the side effects and more. I went on line to see if I was alone and I am one of many with this reaction and worse. Thank God for the Internet.

November 14, 2013 4:14 PM

Review by AmandaSue93:

For Bladder Infection: After taking the first pill within an hour I had a severe migraine, accompanied by vomiting and sweating. I just took the second pill to make sure it was the Macrobid and if so I'm calling the doc first thing in the morning

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2013 9:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I have a body prone to getting urinary tract infections so i was prescribed nitrofurantoin as a preventative. I take the medicine after intercourse and I haven't had a UTI in over a year and a half. Before, I had one at least every three weeks. I have never experienced any negative side effects. I have taken at least 200 pills since I first started it, however, I never take it with an actual meal. Just crackers and a lot of water. I hope this helps!!

November 6, 2013 4:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This is the first and last time I ever take this drug! After 24 hours of it in my system, I started having flu like symptoms. I could feel my sinuses draining down my throat, I began to have a horrible cough. Granted at first I seemed to be getting better, but by the night of day four, my eyes are all itchy and watery, my nose is constantly running, constantly coughing. Now on day five, I took my last pill. Still feeling like crap, still all the same symptoms from day four. Hoping this goes away soon before I return to the ER once more.

November 4, 2013 6:25 PM

Review by teresa J (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I'm a diabetic and have frequent UTI'S. I have used this drug and after the first dose I have had relief. I'm allergic to EVERYTHING but so far I have had not one side effect.

October 31, 2013 8:35 AM

Review by ljcarr22 (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I got a bladder infection and was prescribed Macrobid. Within a day of taking it I was so sick. My body ached all over and I had a difficult time walking. My eye sight and balance were way off. I thought I picked up a virus at the pharmacy or doctors office. Then I started having a hard time breathing and I was hallucinating. That went on for 3 1/2 days until the 6th day when I broke out into hives from my neck down. Then I realized it was a reaction to the antibiotic. I took a ride in an ambulance to the ER and for the next 3 days had to have steroids shot into my butt and I'm taking oral steroids also. It's been 8 days since the ER and my lungs still hurt and I can't take a deep breath even with the steroid inhaler. My eyes are shot also

October 31, 2013 12:05 AM

Review by Candice Ice:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: My urinary tract infection symptoms were not nearly as painful as the side effects of this medicine. It cleared up the UTI in a day but by the second day, it was nausea, extreme fatigue, no appetite, joint and muscle pain, stomach pain and complete weakness, chills and fever. Pharmacist said it was probably the UTI. Now it's day 5 and I'm in agony. Stopping Macrobid and calling the doctor in the morning.

October 13, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by cccccddddd (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I am 62 years old. Took this for a urinary tract infection. I had no effects except mild hives and I am usually hypersensitive to all antibiotics. It cleared up my UTI after 10 days of taking it and I am very pleased. Don't be afraid to take it just because some have bad effects. It may just work for you!

October 13, 2013 11:02 PM

Review by solie (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Took this med for 2 days and calling doctor this morning and not taking next pill. I feel worse then, as if I have the flu. Cannot sleep, sweating hot and cold headaches and nauseous even with taking the pill after I eat. This isn't for me at all.

September 25, 2013 7:29 AM

Review by Tyson16 (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I was given this medicine to take for seven days, four times a day. Within the first day or so of taking it I was suffering with a feeling of acid stomach, nausea, complete lack of appetite.

September 23, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bladder Infection: I get recurrent bouts of cystitis and am resistant to trimethoprim and penicillins, so my doctor prescribes nitrofurantoin. It is normally effective around 48-72 hours into the course, but I do find that despite taking the pills with food, I do get very nauseous. I can cope with that better than I can cope with a urinary tract infection, though!

September 18, 2013 12:49 PM

Review by Angie F:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've never had a reaction to any antibiotics, but this one brought me to the ER. After 24 hours I began feeling flu like symptoms, 48 hours later I had symptoms of bronchitis, after 4 days I was covered in hives. I had assumed that I picked up a virus from the clinic when I went in for the urinary tract infection, so I didn't correlate all my symptoms to reactions from the Macrobid. When I broke out into hives, I finally realized something was going on. After a visit to the ER and steroids, I'm feeling better. It's been 24 hours off the Macrobid, and I can breathe again, flu symptoms gone, and I have my energy back. That was a rough 6 days in bed.

September 11, 2013 10:04 AM