Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin review summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by Catsz:

Yellow neon pee, dizzy, headaches

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 6:36 PM

Review by Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking.

April 2, 2015 7:14 AM

Review by andrealynnee:

I had flu like symptoms when I first started taking it. Now every morning I'm throwing up. The urinary tract infection is getting better, but this medicine is awful.

March 30, 2015 10:51 AM

Review by maryann9746 (taken for less than 1 month):

Prescribed this medication for urinary tract infection since I had c-diff last year and cannot take the stronger antibiotics right now. Could tell difference in bladder pressure and pain within two days however dealing with the side effect of headache, being sleepy and muscle aches makes me ready to get this all taken.

March 25, 2015 10:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication made me feel awful. I woke up everyday with a bad headache, experienced nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness throughout the week (everyday). I don't think I can finish the full week as I need to resume my life. I wouldn't take this again. However the infection seems to be gone so it worked for that.

March 23, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Grace2429:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!

March 23, 2015 7:30 AM

Review by Gelly:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again.

March 8, 2015 10:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go....

March 8, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by Ericaaloveschase:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours.

February 28, 2015 9:18 AM

Review by Robin P. (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): Tried this medication several times and was not effective. UTI had only worsened. Side effect of diarrhea also.

February 9, 2015 12:59 PM

Review by Poppppp:

I was given Nitrofurantoin as two previous antibiotics hadn't helped to shift my kidney infection. I take 4 a day for 7 days and I'm halfway through my suggested dose. I have improved being on this medication but I can't feel the benefits as the nausea, vomiting and tiredness are too severe too notice the change. I feel constantly sick and occasional vomiting and extremely tired, I think it's the side effects of the tablets. I have barely been out of bed for a week, I hope to pick up soon.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 12:00 PM

Review by missrk (taken for less than 1 month):

I take this medicine for urinary tract infections during pregnancy. I am on it now again for the third time. Take twice a day for seven days. The side effect I get comes right after the first pill. I get flu like symptoms: sore joints, chills, sleepiness and extreme weakness. However, no fever. Took one Tylenol and sweated it out while sleeping woke up better. But, this medicine works really well after the first dosage.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 1:39 PM

Review by JME momma:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): Worked good with slight side effects (currently pregnant) frequent twitching of the left eye, and very bright yellow colored urine, dry mouth. Side effects were not severe enough to discontinue and the infection was effectively treated.

January 19, 2015 5:24 PM

Review by Doglover782:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I've been on this medication more times than I can remember and it always works wonderfully. The only side effect is some sleepiness but make sure to drink enough water and have a little caffeine.

January 18, 2015 7:55 PM

Review by Lonnah (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): It is the only antibiotic that works for my urinary tract infections, and I haven't ever had any of the side effects. I generally feel better already after the 2nd dose.

January 18, 2015 6:50 AM

Review by ankegram3:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): Don't take on an empty stomach! Always works great for me!

January 11, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by A-nonny-mouse (taken for less than 1 month):

Very effective antibiotic--cleared symptoms within 24 hours. Side effects are terrible. You will feel like you have the stomach flu or food poisoning--fever, chills, and extreme nausea. I would recommend taking it with a big meal. I feel marginal (not wonderful) eating a big lunch and taking it, but eating a relatively small dinner and taking the pill 3 hours later, I spent the night thinking I had another illness besides the infection. Probably will ask for a different antibiotic if this happens again. Aside from slight nausea, I never react to medications, and this is all new to me.

January 6, 2015 8:12 PM

Review by Want a nap (taken for less than 1 month):

Taking 100mg 2xs daily for urinary tract infection. On day 5 of 7 with limited side effects. I have a severe allergy to many medications but thankfully no severe reaction to this one. I noticed the nausea is alleviated if you drink a full 8oz glass of water with each dose and continue drinking water throughout the day. I work long hours so not sure if the drowsiness is caused by the medication or not. Some vaginal itching and discomfort but so far no vaginal infection. Doctor recommended I eat yogurt daily while on this medication and I am following doctor's orders! I have felt some dizziness but it isn't constant.

November 5, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by welshgirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Very effective antibiotic, but the side-effects are unpleasant. I woke up feeling dizzy and sick every morning. I highly recommend drinking ginger tea to get rid of the nausea, it works a treat!

October 13, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by sick of this:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin): After having a lot of urine infections for the past year I am now back on Macrodantin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days makes me feel yak headaches keeps me awake slightly dizzy, feel tired a lot.. Then doctor wants me to take a low dose of it for 6 weeks will keep you posted if it actually works this time. I have my doubts.

September 23, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by Kbjohnso2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it.

August 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by Malian:

Dr gave me Cipro 500 for 7 days. Didn't work, took this but make sure you take it with a FULL MEAL! Or the headaches are Awful! Works pretty decent. Been getting urinary tract infections for 4 years. Premenopause so been on Estrace. Hope this works.

August 14, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Danmaid Crispen:

Nitrofurantoin after trying all antibiotics it became the best antibiotic for my long standing re-occurring urinary tract infection. Within 4 days of taking the dose this antibiotic straight away it changed my life.

August 11, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by christiebrt:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious.

July 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by MN2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): It worked really well to clear up my urinary tract infection and within a day I had no symptoms; however, I was so tired while I was taking this! I also would get feeling of nausea quite often and occasionally would make me vomit. I took on a full stomach but still got the feelings of nausea and fatigue.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 4:31 PM