User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Review Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 315 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Was prescribed this for uti and started feeling nauseous after the second tablet by the second day I was vomiting and struggling to keep even fluids down. Was getting cold sweats and just feeling generally unwell. Went back the drs and they changed antibiotic. Also dr retested urine and infection was positive. Didn't do a thing for me just made me feel awful ."

Amy bobs May 27, 2015

"Just started and have chills, no symptoms have subsided. I am surprised at all the people here who list what the manufacturer states as 'serious' side effects! Inform your doctor straightaway if any of the following rare but very serious side effects occur: New signs of infection (e.g. fever or persistent sore throat) Easy bruising or bleeding Mental or mood changes Persistent or severe headaches Vision changes Generic Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin) may turn your urine dark yellow to brown in color. This is a harmless side effect that will disappear as soon as you stop taking the medication. In rare cases, Generic Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin) may cause very serious lung problems. Seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following"

Lina Petra May 26, 2015

"I was prescribed this for my UTI after Bactrim didn't work. It diminished my symptoms but gave me terrible stomach aches and horrible nausea. It was a little bit better if I ate yogurt right before taking it, but I would still feel terribly sick. If I had the option of any other medicine, I would take it."

xxsickxx (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Rx paperwork does not say Take with Food even tho it is very important to do so. My UTI symptoms were gone after taking the first pill. I only have to take it for 3 days but I am experiencing some side effects. I feel achy and very sleepy. Just have no energy in general. I had diarrhea after the first dose but not terrible. I just don't want to get out of bed. I still rated this med a 10 because it did take away my UTI symptoms almost immediately. Just remember to eat a full meal before each dose and it makes all the difference in the side effects. Two pills to go, I can do this."

Happy_user May 24, 2015

"This medicine started to work from day one, which was a huge relief. I took it immediately after main meals, with a full glass of water, and drank lots of water during the day, and had no stomach issues with it whatsoever. It had some unpleasant side effects (headaches most days, wooziness, tiredness in the evenings) and some weird ones (neon yellow pee!) but it also was effective against a really nasty UTI. I'd take it again if the condition returned."

Caz274 May 19, 2015

"Not bad, few side affects of blury vision and headaches but on the plus side they've worked so!"

jadeeeeee (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

"Bright yellow urine, always tired, on and off nausea and just constant feeling rubbish.. 4 days to go..."

Amberbryony (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Taking Macroboid has saved my life! I have been prone to UTIs since I was sexually active and have had bladder infections by whole life. I have tried everything from Cipro (makes my feet swollen) to Bactrum (doesn't cure) amongst many others. I was very surprised by the other reviews so felt the need to write one because it has been the best medication to help prevent me from getting another UTI- as long as I take food with it, I am fine."

Mariemc May 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Developed interstitial lung disease and hypoxia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I started this medicine for my UTI I always ate a meal with this pill I really did not experience any sickness I was on it for 7 days . I have trouble anxiety but it was not too bad but it seemed like this medicine made me more anxious at times then on my last few days I felt a little weird at times then on my last day taking the medicine I woke up with my throat scratchy then by evening I had a fever and bad chills I didn't take the last pill because I felt so bad my head kinda hurts too I don't know if it's this medicine for sure or if I'm catching a virus"

Ctmrdm28 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"I decided to do some research to make sure that I was prescribed the correct thing, I had never heard of an antibiotic starting with Nitro? After reading the scary reviews I contacted my doctor's office and they assured me they have multiple patients that have been prescribed it, and with good results. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 10 days, and I wouldn't even know I was on it other than a change in the color of my urine. I feel completely normal and have no side effects, and it is getting the job done! I felt better after one day."

czerw1tl (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Prescribed macrobid for a UTI. I took my first pill last night with rice and bread, felt fine. Woke up this morning to get ready for work and had to sit down in the shower I got so nauseous. Couldn't even finish washing out my shampoo and had to lean over the toilet because I thought I would throw up. Held it in and almost passed out walking back to my bed. Slept another three hours then got up to try to make toast and got too nauseous and dizzy to even wait on the toaster. The UTI already feels much better after one pill but I have never felt so miserable, am missing work, and have called my doctor to try to get off this medication."

Anonymous April 28, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Started macrobid no rection first day second day felt congested in my chest which was weird by that night I had cold fingers and toes and very sore joints, toes, fingers, ankles and worst of all the knees. Feel really awful have stopped the antibiotic never again. Can't wait to feel normal again"

luckytubs April 27, 2015

"I have a longstanding history with urinary tract infections. I was getting them 1-2x a month and one instance it was so bad I even went to the ER. At that point my doctor prescribed nitrofurantin 100 mg as a preventative method, which works. However, this time around when she prescribed it to treat a UTI (100 mg 2x a day for 7 days) it was one of the worst medication experiences ever. The side effects were TERRIBLE. I have never experienced such bad nausea in my life. I had splitting migraines, could barely open my eyes, & felt like I was going to vomit. Lasted the entire day in waves. I also took on a full stomach with water and it still didn't help. Also, only slightly dimished UTI symptoms the first day providing moderate relief."

CB1992 April 21, 2015

"Yellow neon pee, dizzy, headaches"

Catsz April 12, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "It was 5am in the morning when I first started with the symptoms. My prescription for macrobid was ready by 9:30am . I took my first dose by 10am. By about 1pm I was able to fall asleep since the pain and urgency to run to the bathroom subsided. Thank goodness"

sinceresis April 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "On first day severe nausea headache and vomiting. Couldn't get out of bed and had to stop taking."

Barbuda (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

"I had flu like symptoms when I first started taking it. Now every morning I'm throwing up. The urinary tract infection is getting better, but this medicine is awful."

andrealynnee March 30, 2015

"Prescribed this medication for urinary tract infection since I had c-diff last year and cannot take the stronger antibiotics right now. Could tell difference in bladder pressure and pain within two days however dealing with the side effect of headache, being sleepy and muscle aches makes me ready to get this all taken."

maryann9746 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

"This medication made me feel awful. I woke up everyday with a bad headache, experienced nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness throughout the week (everyday). I don't think I can finish the full week as I need to resume my life. I wouldn't take this again. However the infection seems to be gone so it worked for that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Made me sick. Ran a fever and was very dizzy and disoriented for days!"

Grace2429 March 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "My third day on it, no side effects and not having to the bathroom every hour. I will definitely take it again."

Gelly March 8, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Headache, nauseous, on day one, left arm tingling day 1, 2, 3. Nightmare and neck pain day 4....and 3 more days to go...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took my first pill of macrobid last night and it caused nausea and it made me exhausted. I noticed when I was nauseous, I felt better if I ate something. It's like I constantly needed something in my stomach, but I felt miserable. I also had chills so I'm guessing I had a fever. I'm about to eat a heavy breakfast and take my next pill, hopefully this second dose goes okay. Otherwise my doctor is getting a phone call first thing Monday morning."

Lauren26 March 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "It made me very sleepy and dizzy. I also got chest pains and it made my heart race. My urine was also a very bright, almost neon yellow color. I stopped taking it after it 2 days and then I was fine. And I always took it after I ate. The one time I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited and was nauseous for a few hours."

Ericaaloveschase February 28, 2015