User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I was told I have a POSSIBLE UTI from my doctor which is very common during pregnancy. I had one with my first child. I started taking this antibiotics yesterday and I was extremely nauseous and fatigued. I am in my second trimester and was over my morning sickness. I eat a full meal and drank plenty of fluids with this antibiotic like your suppose to and I am just miserable..... with this being only a possible diagnosis I think I'm going to stop taking it. It's not even worth this feeling. BLAH!"

Pregger mommy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"After taking the first dose I felt relieved, but the side effects are just wooziness, stomach discomfort and some restlessness, but all these stopped after about 30mins. It sure stopped the UTI, but since my own reaction to it was not excessive, I'm OK with it."

Rukevwe May 17, 2016

"My best friend had an anaphlactoid reaction to this medication and died within 7 days. Doctors sent her home from the ER. She had a heart attack within the following 17 hours."

Shouldhavespokenup May 16, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Took this drug for 3 days.The infection got better after 2 doses. However, I slowly developed headaches and a little chills on the 2nd day of treatment. Thought I might be getting a bit of flu so I ignored the symptoms and continue my medication. As soon as I took the last dose, my symptoms got worst. I was so weak I could hardly walk. My eyes got blurry and generally nauseous and drowsy. As I type this, I still have all this symptoms with raised heart beat, occasional numbness of my hands and feet. All I want is to sleep but too scared to sleep just in case it got worst. Nonetheless, the medicine does the job as it cleared my infection after two days of taking it but it gave me a bad experience so am not taking this drug again."

pen01 May 11, 2016

"After eating food I took one dose, within a few hours force to bed, chills, projectile vomiting and horrible diarrhea, back to bed, chills continued then horrible abdomen pains so bad, I wished to die, so not me. It was impossible to move, by morning, severe headache which lasted many days, pains neck and achilles tendon lasting for days. Unable to eat, slept 12 hours daily for a week. Checking on line I read a report stating these meds should never be given to a woman over age 50..."

barbar jean May 9, 2016

"This is the first time my doctor prescribed this type of medication for my UTI. I have to say this was the best one by far. I had no side effects and I started feeling better after only 2 days."

kristenkayla88 May 9, 2016

"I took Nitrofurantoin for 2 days and had to stop. The dosage was meant to be for a week. I developed a fever, tight sore throat, dry cough, difficulty swallowing, extreme fatigue, nausea, dizziness. I also had neck pain, my skin felt sore when touched. These symptoms are continuing 5 days after I stopped taking the medication. Never again!"

TyaTya (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

"Severe nausea. Dry heaves and vomiting."

Jo in Azusa May 3, 2016

"Have been on this for 48 hours, have nausea, diarrohea, headache, loss of appetite and feel generally unwell. I still have the original symptoms. The weekend is here, so will stick it out until Monday before ringing GP. Thanks for everyones comments."

Fayesy April 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Took Macrobid for five days. It caused constant nervousness/jitteriness and I could not sleep. Two days after Macrobid regime was done, my UTI started up again. So much pain and suffering for nothing. What upsets me the most is that I had told the nurse at the clinic that Cipro works for me, and she prescribed Macrobid instead! Some people are worse than useless."

Apple Annie April 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was wondering why I was so fatigued and now the mystery is solved thanks to this page. It has alleviated the UTI symptoms but from reading through the board, it looks like there are better options."

sullspinn (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "After being diagnosed with a UTI, I was given macrobid 100mg 2xday. The first day was fine. On the second day, I noticed a lot of stomach pain after taking each dose. On the 3rd day, I woke up with a headache, abdominal pain, and a weak and ill feeling. I called my doctor to see if i could get switched to another medication. I felt ill, foggy headed and anxious the rest of that day. I did not like this medication and won't take it again."

Jillybean2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"Given this for a UTI. This is a horrible drug! I only took 2 pills of this drug when I started getting the shakes and terrible anxiety. Driving home from work, I was literally praying to god to get me home safely because I was shaking with a headache and awful anxiety. Thankfully got home and had to sit down with my head between my legs because I thought I was going to pass out. Spent an entire evening with anxiety and it persisted, to a lesser extent, the next day even off of the drug. Also, did a number on my stomach - lost my appetite, probably due to the anxiety. I think these side effects are common with this drug and very dangerous. My pharmacist wasn't even sure if they still carried it. Take with caution."

Dee4747 April 23, 2016

"Took 2 doses and woke up in the middle of the night with rapid heart rate, headache, full body muscle spasms. I skipped two doses and the side effects have subsided a little but still sore. Called Dr and was switched to Cipro. I'm allergic to Bactrim which would have been the other option."

Starr21 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"I had a terrible time with this drug, the most severe headache I've ever had, very bad nausea and horrible abdominal pain. I had suicidal thoughts, was just a total mess, couldn't sleep or get comfortable. The neck pain was awful. I've never had a bad reaction to any drug before, it was very distressing. Stopped taking it after five doses (with five doses not taken) as I had been in bed for three days since starting it. Should have stopped after first dose but was worried about my UTI not improving. My husband called our doctor as I was too upset to speak and was changed to Cipro - no side effects at all from it."

Rosebud11111111 April 15, 2016

"This drug works well unless your uti has resistance to it. My side effects were headache and nausea. Drink lots of water and eat before you take it."

Miss Moneypenny (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

"I was seen yesterday by my g.p and was given nitrofurntoin modified release I am 65yrs have had prolapses surgery have had a prolapsed bladder for 10 yrs I I continue to get uti s I took 1 100mg cap with my evening meal within about about an hour my heart rate was through the roof I had got pain round my chest trouble breathing light flashing in my eyes face and lips swelling I started to drink a lot to try to flush it out but things got worse I went from very hot to very cold when I shut my eye to try to stop the flashing shapes kept rush at me it was awful I have not slept at all and feel so very unwell as if my whole body is shutting down even thought I am still drinking my mouth is very dry at least the body tremors have stopped"

Aveburch April 8, 2016

"Its doesn't work for me at all! no symptoms which was good but took two rounds of this antibiotic and still had uti"

bekah w April 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I would not choose this drug again. SEVERE abd pain, i was in clinical on the 3 day of it and i barely could walk, it gets worse when i sat down. The pain is so bad i almost passed out. Do NOT recommend this to any one!!"

RebeccaBecca April 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "After day 3, had difficulty swallowing and terrible anxiety badly enough that I couldn't swallow pills or food without regurgitation. I started taking Prilosec thinking acid reflux. Even an Advil pill creeped up my esophagus and lodged into my throat. It went from bad to worse. Was living on a liquid diet. Had to see a Gastro doc and Ear Nose and Throat doc. My throat was scoped, found nothing. 3 days after getting off both Macrobid and Prilosec my symptoms went away. Fourth day off was given a swallow test which I passed. I am now able to eat solid foods without feeling as if I am going to choke to death."

WickedChowdah (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

"I was giving this medication for a UTI. By day 2, I honestly thought I was dying. I had severe back pain and headache, both unrelieved by Excedrin which usually works great. I felt spaced out and unable to concentrate...achy all over like I had the flu. Last night my heart started racing and my chest felt so tight, I felt l was going into anaphylaxis. I have never had an allergic reaction to a medication, so no sure if these symptoms are side effects or allergic reaction, but $30 worth of medication went in the trash because it isn't worth the risk. I have a call into my doctor who will hopefully call in something different."

DGraphicington (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "terrible pain continuously in shoulder arm neck legs macroBid side effects crying because of severity of pain depressing pain hope i am not permanately damaged bymacroBid will report to GP feelings of DOOM"

trynomore (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

"Don't be scared reading the reviews! I made the mistake of looking at this website's user reviews on nitrofurantoin and was so terrified of taking the pill, I had to call my PCP at night to calm myself down. It's really IMPORTANT to note that you have to take this drug AFTER eating a substantial meal. I was prescribed to take it 2 times a day, but whatever your dosage is - just remember to take it with food. There was only one day when I had the antibiotic after only eating a few pieces of fruit, and I suffered from mild nausea. But aside from that, I didn't have any other side effects - so DON'T BE SCARED! Just try it out with food in your system. Good luck!"

N/A123 April 4, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Took 2 pills...... TWO PILLS!! Spent 3 hours in the ER with rapid heartbeats (over 100), chest tightness, anxiousness and the shakes. Hospital did an array of tests and told me to stop taking...... No sheet. Now the bad news..... Other doctor told me it can take up to a week to get drug out of system...... My advice..... Take one and wait a day or so to see how body responds...... In my case this pill was garbage and dangerous..... I have never had a reaction to a medicine like this...... Stay away from this antibiotic....."

Studad1 March 31, 2016

"After 1st pill symptoms of uti gone 2nday mild nausea. Best uti drug I have ever had. If u read the reviews you get scared silly"

Zara1 March 30, 2016