User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin review summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by Want a nap (taken for less than 1 month):

Taking 100mg 2xs daily for urinary tract infection. On day 5 of 7 with limited side effects. I have a severe allergy to many medications but thankfully no severe reaction to this one. I noticed the nausea is alleviated if you drink a full 8oz glass of water with each dose and continue drinking water throughout the day. I work long hours so not sure if the drowsiness is caused by the medication or not. Some vaginal itching and discomfort but so far no vaginal infection. Doctor recommended I eat yogurt daily while on this medication and I am following doctor's orders! I have felt some dizziness but it isn't constant.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by welshgirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Very effective antibiotic, but the side-effects are unpleasant. I woke up feeling dizzy and sick every morning. I highly recommend drinking ginger tea to get rid of the nausea, it works a treat!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by sick of this:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin): After having a lot of urine infections for the past year I am now back on Macrodantin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days makes me feel yak headaches keeps me awake slightly dizzy, feel tired a lot.. Then doctor wants me to take a low dose of it for 6 weeks will keep you posted if it actually works this time. I have my doubts.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by Kbjohnso2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I react and have side effects to almost everything I take. I'm allergic to Bactrim and doxycycline and Cipro is awful for me. No vomiting or flu symptoms everyone keeps talking about. Sometimes I get hot flashes (I'm 24) and an upset stomach but that's the worst of it.

August 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by Malian:

Dr gave me Cipro 500 for 7 days. Didn't work, took this but make sure you take it with a FULL MEAL! Or the headaches are Awful! Works pretty decent. Been getting urinary tract infections for 4 years. Premenopause so been on Estrace. Hope this works.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Danmaid Crispen:

Nitrofurantoin after trying all antibiotics it became the best antibiotic for my long standing re-occurring urinary tract infection. Within 4 days of taking the dose this antibiotic straight away it changed my life.

August 11, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by christiebrt:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I am 11 wks pregnant and after my first OB/GYN appointment they called me with results that I had urinary tract infection. I was shocked because I didn't have any symptoms other than pressure by my bladder which I was relating to the pregnancy. I was prescribed 100mg of Macrobid x 3 days taking 1 capsule every 12 hrs. The first night I took it a couple hours after dinner and went to sleep. BIG MISTAKE! I woke up vomiting ate a bagel right away and took second pill. I felt nauseated all day, tired, and mild headache. The remaining pills I took directly after a full meal and felt a little better. If it wasn't for the medicine only being for 3 days I don't think I could've taken it any longer. I just kept telling myself that if I don't finish it a UTI can be much more serious.

July 23, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by MN2:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): It worked really well to clear up my urinary tract infection and within a day I had no symptoms; however, I was so tired while I was taking this! I also would get feeling of nausea quite often and occasionally would make me vomit. I took on a full stomach but still got the feelings of nausea and fatigue.

July 21, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Dani11 (taken for less than 1 month):

I used to use nitrofurantonin when I would get recurrent urinary tract infection as a low dose and that seemed to work well. I hadn't had a UTI in 7 years then got one. Doc prescribed nitrofurantonin and after 3 pills my symptoms were worse. Usually when I get antibiotics for a UTI my symptoms stop almost immediately so I knew they weren't working. Doc then prescribed Bactrim and I felt better within hours. I must have a nitrofurantonin resistance from taking the so much? My side effect was I was very tired. I could have slept all day.

June 11, 2014 12:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I only gave it a 7 because I'm on day 3. Dizziness and nausea, be careful driving before you get a feel for what your reaction will be. Everyone is different. The nausea was often minimized by eating decent meal with the meds, BUT it still came back about an hr to 1.5 hrs. The dizziness, I felt like I was drinking, seriously. Hopefully it's all clear when I'm done in 2 days. I was feeling like crap, I wore a T-shirt that I wear to sleep to my evening class today (I'm over 27). Glad I found this site! If you're a female, ensure you don't have Bacterial Vaginitis (bv) because that should be treated as well.

June 9, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by Iseult:

I was given nitrofurantoin for cystitis many years ago and while it cleared the infection it also made me very nauseous and weak. This time, however, I was prescribed it in the form of Macrodantin capsules and I had no side effects whatsoever. Because of my previous experience I was really quite scared to take it, but began with half the dose prescribed just to see how I'd feel. When I didn't feel sick after the first couple of half-doses I upped it to the full dose and was fine, no nausea at all or any other side effects. I took it with meals, but not always with a full meal, sometimes only with a snack, but it still didn't make me feel sick. I suppose the lesson learned from reading all these posts is that we're all different.

June 3, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by Pixie Girl (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm taking nifurantoin (Macrobid) 100mg, currently on day 4 of 7 for urinary tract infection (UTI). My urinary tract infection was more than painful pee - I had the whole set of flu-like symptoms like chills, nausea, aches and of course, painful pee and blood in the urine. I would say about 80% of my symptoms - especially the pain! - was gone within 24 hours and the only thing I feel now is a bit of itchiness in the urethra when I pee. No big deal. On the down side, I am VERY tired (day 2 was the worst, felt like I was 90 years old), a bit dizzy, certainly nauseous, I feel like I have to breathe really hard and muscle pain. Overall, very effective for treating urinary tract infection but I feel like crap and I can't wait to finish the 7-day course.

June 3, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by bella-08598459:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I'm on day 3 and the only side effect I have had is itching, everywhere. My urinary tract infection is better but not gone yet.

April 21, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by nique6 (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): This is my second time on Macrobid both times given during pregnancy. The first time it made me extremely sick and I took it after a light snack and drank milk. I felt so bad I couldn't stomach taking the pill again. This time around I got a urinary tract infection so bad I was having very bad pains under my ribs so I figured the sickness from the antibiotic was better then the severe pain I was having. I started the meds four days ago now and I feel 100% better! Before every dose I eat a COMPLETE MEAL so that my stomach is coated and I have not had one side effect besides drowsiness which I don't mind as much, but the pain is gone and I am back to my normal self. I am so happy the pills worked so fast and with food leave me perfectly fine.

April 14, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Baronmonty:

Taking this medicine for a prostate infection, I previously took another antibiotic that did nothing as it was a wide spectrum one until my results were in. I have struggled taking these pills, because they do make you feel a bit gassy and also I have struggled to get my breath a bit. My main worry was being sick on them, and because I am forcing myself to eat four fairly big meals a day I have not suffered half as much on that side as I thought. After reading all of the horror stories on here, it has not yet been quite as bad as I had thought it might be. I am about half of the way through the course, taking 100mg 4x a day. Going to try to get to the end, starting to feel a bit better. My urine is clear again but I still have the urge to go.

February 14, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by C.D. Knight:

I had no problem with this medication and my body is the anti-antibiotic! I am allergic to every antibiotic under the sun and avoid using them as much as possible, but I did not nip this urinary tract infection in the butt before it required a Dr.'s visit. I was instructed to take the pill twice a day for seven days. The first two days the medicines did make me feel a little drowsy, but I think my body adjusted. Just make sure you give yourself time to know how it will affect you before driving etc. I also would suggest taking it with a full meal. I did not experience any nausea, but I made it a point to only take my pills with a full stomach. I noticed results by the third day. I just finished the last dose and am feeling great.

February 12, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by Cindy8508:

I took this medicine for two days then got this massive headache or migraine. My shoulders and neck hurt and my temples hurt to even touch them. My eyes hurt to move them and I had vomiting with it. I stopped taking it & went on something else.

February 5, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by Sunshiney67:

This antibiotic cleared up the urinary tract/Bladder infection very quickly but gave me the most severe headache of my life. In fact it wasn't a headache it was a brutal pain in my head that lasted for 3 days. I also have chills and my extremities feel cold. Otherwise, not too bad.

February 1, 2014 8:20 AM

Review by Alwayssick50198:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): For everyone posting bad reviews did any of you take it after eating a complete meal? I made the mistake of taking one before after eating a light snack and I got the fever chills etc. like everyone else, but if I take it after eating a good size meal then I'm fine. DON'T TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH! These antibiotics do work great! Don't let the bad reviews stop you from taking them just do what I said and eat real food and if you still have side effects then call your doctor. But from my experience as long as I eat no problems with them.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 7:05 AM

Review by LilDee75:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): Started this medication yesterday morning. Been feeling nauseous, having chills, fevers, night sweats and bad headaches. About to take my third dose and I'm dreading it.

January 18, 2014 9:20 AM

Review by Rosiebean1993 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin 100mg for treatment of a urinary tract infection, 4 times daily with food. I started taking them and after the second tablet I felt so nauseous that I couldn't move. I continued taking the tablets even though I was aware they were causing the nausea, however the nausea became so bad I ended up vomiting and been taken to A&E.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2013 10:25 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): Really awful feeling after a day of taking ths felt really down and anxious and totally exhausted

December 20, 2013 10:53 AM

Review by jessicawesternmass (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin): I understand the good outweigh the bad however, the past few days have been hell. I had honestly one the worst urinary tract infections I have ever had. I need the relief so I am going to continue with the meds. Within 24 hours of taking it, I had horrible diarrhea. I am pale, I keep drinking water.

November 25, 2013 9:59 AM

Review by PollyWollyDoodle:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): I am currently taking Macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I've been taking it twice a day for going on 4 days now. I was very very leery of this medication, because when I was pregnant 4 years ago, it was prescribed to me for a UTI. I took it and was really ill. I felt like I had the flu...weak, chills, nausea, horrible headaches. My doctor gave it to me and I was scared to take it, but with my last UTI the Cipro didn't knock it out. I'm happy to report that this time, I am doing fine on it. No side effects, but the UTI symptoms are pretty much gone. Make sure you take this ON A FULL STOMACH! Not with a glass of milk, not with a snack, not BEFORE eating...a full stomach!

November 22, 2013 9:38 AM

Review by No more Macro Bid:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): First time I took MacroBid for UTI, after a few days I developed flu like symptoms, fever, aches and pains, heart racing, bronchial congestion. After the infection came back I took it again and only one dose brought back all the side effects and more. I went on line to see if I was alone and I am one of many with this reaction and worse. Thank God for the Internet.

November 14, 2013 4:14 PM