User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Review Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 288 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I'm I day 6 of this medication. It's pretty good at clearing up the UTI, but it does have some side affects; I've had pain on my left lower stomach towards pelvis for many days off and on. It feels almost like cramps! I also have had a tingling tounge and possible thrush (though hopefully not-symptom haven't progressed). I can't take a lot of abx so I'm thankful that this has worked, but looking forward to being DONE."

Jaycee72 August 24, 2015

"Stomach pain, nausea, feel like could get sick, after 3 complete doses, shortness of breath, chest pain."

slacker (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

"I hope it works for you. For me although it's slightly improved my UTI in three days. I've had headaches, nausea, dizziness, aching bad, neck, shoulders and felt like I had a combination of flu and a hangover. I've also been unable to sleep and had restless legs at night."

Bebe11 August 17, 2015

"I took this medication for 7 days. I feel like it cured the UTI but, ached the entire time while taking it. Approximately 3 days ago, had severe pain in my left hip. Hip feels better now but have 4 fingers on right hand that are swollen and feel like an extremely bad sprain. Now having the same pain in my left hand. My neck is stiff and hurting as well as my back. Have to take Ibuprofen around the clock. I am just hoping that the pain will start subsiding now that I have been off the antibiotic for 24 hrs."

Kim - Miserable August 15, 2015

"I took one dose and I felt nausea the next night I took a second dose and woke out my sleep and my tongue had swollen up. I had to be rushed to the hospital but the UTI went away serious terrible scary situation never again"

Brittany92 August 14, 2015

"I don't do the best on any medicine. I've fought UTIs for years. I'm pregnant and was terrified to take another medicine. But UTIs can be serious and the pain I was in was horrific. I'm on 100mg 2x daily for 3 weeks- no issues. Day 4 - Urine is neon but UTI had it discolored anyway. No issues so far. Minimal headache (could be from the other infection I have too) and no discomfort. I'm pleasantly surprised. This is working well for me and my medical needs."

Pleasantly Surprised (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

"Horrible! I tried this once and it worked Second time allergic reaction 3rd time my Dr prescribed it anyway and I almost died. Woke up after 2nd dose unable to breathe. Fever of 105. Bone and muscle pain. Crushing chest pain. Blue hands. Swollen tongue and face. Rash all over body. This is the worst drug out here. Do not use Macrobid. It's a nightmare!"

blissmamabliss (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

"Wow! worked great! felt much better overnight."

DaveBC August 11, 2015

"A horrible drug. Macrobid should be banned, I feel weak and I have had two anxiety attacks because of it. I'm super tired and depressed. I am sensitive to antibiotics anyways, I called CVS and they told me to continue it!!! Ummm, hell no! Whether you take it with or without food it is horrible for your body. I felt pins and needles in my back from this on the third night. Buh-bye"

Terri the original terri August 10, 2015

"Also want to say, most people are likely to complain than compliment. Reading this beforehand scared me and I was sure I was going to feel worse. Nothing has happened so thought I'd come and let you know. I'm not a one in ten."

5tarflower August 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Macrobid take 1 capsule 2x daily for 7 days. I am on day 3, my symptoms of urgent urination with little results, are slowly going away. I still feel very uncomfortable especially in my back. I am noticing an increase of discharge and itchiness with my vagina. Yes, my urine is neon colored, too. Overall, I feel better day by day, I wish this drug would work faster!"

J.D.B. August 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "the first night I had a severe headache and very bad nightmares. I even googled if this was a side effect and I saw it was."

2013Meema July 28, 2015

"I have been taking 4 a day for last 6 days, 2 tablets to go. My uti seems better but I have never so tired, aching all over and very thirsty. Also bit depressed and tearful. None of these seem bad enough to tell doctor about. Just hoping that when I finish the course all these symptoms will disappear."

Gingermeggs July 23, 2015

"This did NOT suit me I was given 100 mg twice a day. After the first dose, suddenly Blood Pressure and pulse rate shot up in a spike. I have been having high BP and Pulse already. So took those medicines and the parameters came down to normal. Second doze was in the night. It didn't cause that trouble, but after sometime started getting hot flushes. However, I tolerated that. After taking the pill next day after lunch, after say 5 minutes, heart started beating God damn fast, This time the discomfort was 3 times than the previous one. BP and Pulse were even higher. Took the pills for BP, Pulse, and double dose of tranquilizers to slowly pacify the effect. I was about to be taken to ER. Got to discard them"

Mrs Banerjee July 4, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I have reoccurring utis every couple months and I have taken every antibiotic. Cipro and keflex did not work for me and bactrim I had horrible side effects. Macrobid is the only one to cure my utis every time! Of course it depends on which bacteria is causing yours."

moonmama22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I have been prone to uti's for years. I have been put on every antibiotic under the sun. For me, this is the antibiotic I would choose every time because it works and has minimal side effects. The only side effect I have experienced is a headache. I will take a headache any day over horrible bladder infection pain. Also, this antibiotic helps to clear up the infection within the first day of use, which is a plus for me so I am not in pain as long. (I have taken cipro, which made me throw up and cry, bactrum, didnt clear up my infection, and monurol which made me very sick as well.) It is important to remember to make a "pill sandwich" with this antibiotic. You eat a full meal, take the pill, and then eat some snacks after the pill."

Dandy Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"This is terrible drug. I took it for 7 days and after I finished all of it I broke out in a bad rash, had fever, hurt all over. I've been off of it for over a week and had to go to Dr twice. This should be taken off the market. I just hope permanent damage was not done to my organs."

Momma Sue (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Macrobid has to be the worse medication I have ever took in my life. It should be banned. I got an extreme allergic reaction that lasted at least 1 month. I was put on prednisone and Zyrtec to stop my body from swelling. I had red marks and rashes throughout my body even while on prednisone and Zyrtec after using marcrobid. Initially I placed on marcrobid for a uti. I took all 14 prescribed pills. One week after finishing the macrobid I experienced extreme swelling throughout my body. I feel as if my body still never recovered from the reaction years later. I recommend cipro over macrobid it is dangerous. !!!!!!! And should be banned !!!!"

Do not take macrobid (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"Took first pill and symptoms went away. Second pill I started getting tingling and burning in my back 4 hours after taking the medication. Second pill made the back symptoms go away but introduced a intense pressure in my bladder and pelvic area. 4 hours later it went away then the back pains started again, and 10x worse. My spine had sharp spike of pains in it. I was rushed to ER and was told to stay off the pills. They didn't know what caused the reaction (obviously they can't admit it was the pill) and sent me home with some ativan to relax my body. Stopped for 2 days and the spiking pains are still in my back and spine on and off. Also felt weak and lost feelings in my legs. Be careful, if you see symptoms stop right away. Do not risk!"

PillsAreBAD June 25, 2015

"Prescriped twice a day for 7 days and it started working after the second pill.i can say it has helped the condition greatly but I have been fatigued, sleepy with some backache . Have two days to go and can't wait..it does get the job done so the side effects are worth it"

Uti after turp (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I have been taking macrobid for two days now and my UTI feels better but today I woke up with terrible back aches where my kidneys are located and pains on my front sides. I have been so sleepy also today like can't even keep my eyes open with bad headaches."

Mrs. Olvey June 21, 2015

"I was put on Nitrofurantoin for seven days, taken four pills evenly throughout the day. I haven't finished my course, I have two more days to go but it has worked thus far. Previously, I was put on Trimethoprim for 3 days which I thought was helping my symptoms slightly but now I realize that it was worse medication since it made my backache badly unlike this new medication. The only side affect, I think is that I feel cold or I think I have had hot flushes (which weren't bad since I felt I was blushing throughout my face and it wasn't that hot). My UTI seems to be gone and I can't wait until I am done with this."

Kay0523 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed macrobid for a 3 day course, 2 doses a day. The first day I seemed to be getting better, but then I woke up at 4:15am the morning of the second day with chest pains. Throughout the day I suffered from headaches, chest pains, muscle and joint aches, nausea, dizziness, fever and chills. Now on the third day, and though I'm not feeling as ill anymore, I'm still dealing with chest, back and stomach pains. Can't even tell if treating the UTI because I've been in so much pain. Worst experience I've ever had with antibiotics - would definitely never use macrobid again!"

lhs1995 June 10, 2015

"Took first pill with no food. No stomach upset. Had mild chills 1st night(10 min) Feeling great on 3rd day. No other side effects."

ullmang (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

"Day two taking the antibiotic and feeling tired and depressed. My hands feel icy. I missed work because of the depressed and tired feeling. I will never take this drug again. I feel like Ive been poisoned."

mbe June 7, 2015