User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 302 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I have taken this for morgenella morganii infection. I have completed 15 days thrice a day then doctor reduced it to twice and then once a day total 30 days. I am feeling hazy, depressive and pain in my body. Still not fully cured. Side effects are bad."

vishal tyagi February 6, 2016

"Was ill and stopped taking them. Couldn't stop vomiting... A few months later I tried again and wasn't as sick so I stuck it out, then they found I still have white blood cells in my urine, so I guess they don't work for me."

Zara's (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

"I took Nitrofurantoin for 7 days and while it cleared the UTI I have never felt so ill on it. This was two and a half weeks ago and I suspect the side effects are still around but not as severe. Headaches, flu like feeling and ringing in my ears and chest congestion. I don't feel back to normal. Does anyone know how long it will take to get back to normal? I'm in the UK."

Placiddot February 4, 2016

"Nitrofurantoin SURVIVAL KIT: LUBRICATING EYE DROPS. Eyes will feel like there's sand in them. EAR PLUGS. Everything you hear will irritate you & hurt your ears. DVDs. You won't be doing much but laying in bed. CAFFEINE IN A TABLET: Your head will feel like it's going to explode. This constricts blood vessles. If all this fails, BENADRYL. Sleep it off....ADVANCED SURVIVAL: (not making recommendations. Saying what worked for me) I split my Nitro Caps in half and spread total dose throughout day. Significantly less side-effects. Anything to reduce head pressure. I used a BetaBlocker & caffeine. BENADRYL !!! The Tinnitus & stiff neck will go away. It's a rough ride, but better than needing a kidney transplant. Good luck my friends."

Tyler Durden 1101 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"Horrible tablet I have ever taken but cleared it up but on the 3rd day feeling sick from having to dissolve the tablet in a drink and then drinking as I can't seem the swallow it and it dissolves as soon as I put it in my mouth. I wouldn't recommend it as it's the first time ever I've felt so nauseous from taking a UTI tablet as before I was on the capsules and I could swallow them perfectly and didn't feel any nausea."

Amb43 January 24, 2016

"This is the worst I've felt without being called sick. Headaches, neckache, fatigue, depression while I was taking it. Stopped taking the medication half way through. Now I'm on Cipro. I will NEVER take this medication again. Makes you wonder if there was a trial period before it was put on the market. I'm usually tolerant of medication, and I know I have a high pain threshold, but this was something else. Also makes me wonder about drug manufacturers, especially now with the presidential elections are fast approaching. Most women are the ones experiencing UTI's, and most CEO's who are in charge of these big drug companies are men. Go figure!"

Carolina gal (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "This is about my mom , 6 years ago my mom died because of this medicine , after 2 tablets she went to coma, and after 3 days she's gone . Please don't take this medicine . .."

Mysy January 19, 2016

"Had to stop taking this after day 4 of 7. First time I was prescribed this. I am Allergic to sulfa antibiotics and usually have good results with amoxicillin with no side effects. This drug Gave me headaches, made me tired and experienced the most severe gas pains in my abdomen I've ever had for hours each day. Did help clear the UTI after a few days though. Hopefully 4 days was enough to keep UTI away."

Anonymous447 January 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I became very ill and had to go to a hospital."

Mambasian January 17, 2016

"I suffer from recurrent UTI's. As soon as I feel one creeping up I take one of these and the symptoms are much better in a few hours and gone within the day. I take them twice a day for 7 days if I have an infection. No side effects."

Lex09 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

"It's day two today and I have been running a high fever, I have the chills, extreme nausea, and I feel dizzy to the point of passing out. My UTI symptoms are still very much there. I've missed three days of work now. I've taken it with a big bowl of soup every time now as well. All I want to do is sleep. I'm pretty sure I slept over ten hours today so far, and I'm starting to get a headache now."

Anonymous January 11, 2016

"Took this for a bladder and kidney infection for 7 days, cleared up my infection and offered instant relief after 1 day. I am normally prone to gastro problems with antibiotics but didn't have any problems with thus one. The only side effect was it affected my sleep, after a few hours I'd wake up and couldn't get back to sleep every night while taking it. Also had anxiety dreams which I don't normally have."

Ronnie94 January 7, 2016

"I was diagnosed with a UTI yesterday afternoon. I took my 1st dose of Nitrofurantoin 100mg twice a day for 10 days this morning at 9 a.m with toast and water. By 11 a.m. I felt really nauseous and dizzy then by 12 I was doubled over in pain from cramping in my belly and pain in my back. I finally am able to eat again at 6:30 p.m. but now I'm terrified to take a second dose at 9 tonight. Its obviously working because my UTI symptoms are gone but I feel like crap just after 1 ."

Heathermay16 January 6, 2016

"I used to have recurrent UTIs (up to 10 a year), and usually I took ciprofloxacin, which almost always gave me yeast infections and an upset stomach. This medication takes longer to cure the UTI, but it hasn't given me side effects. Beware of what everyone says about lung failure though :/ I'm taking a 100mg pill after sex nowadays, when I have more experience with it will share with you"

Martina_yp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2016

"I took this medicine to treat a UTI. Although it did cure the UTI, this drug made me so nauseous that I threw up for a week straight. It also made me extremely fatigued. If you have to take this drug, make sure to take it with plenty of food (and avoid food about two hours after taking it). Hope this helps!"

A Bit Iffy December 31, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "After my UTI reoccurred, my doctor prscbd me Macrobid. I took the new antibiotics about 9 days after completing the Cipro antibiotics and I felt better after the 3rd day of using the pills. I did have neon urine which was typical. There was a drastic change with my sleeping pattern, all I wanted to do was sleep. Fatigue was a side effect. I woke up to a headache/unsettled stomach (ate a heavy meal w/ pill) a few times. Now 7 days in, my old symptoms are back up. I didn't drink as much H20 the first few days, but I've since amped the amount of water I intake. I also bought Cranberry pills to hopefully help clear it up. Don't feel like throwing out more cash or another doctors visit."

EV2EB (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"Have been prescribed this for 3 days, twice a day. Have taken my second tablet and feeling quite tired but the benefits seem to be outweighing the negatives. I can finally urinate properly and am not in constant agony. I was given this pill as the previous antibiotic didn't work fully. Note this medicine does affect the contraceptive pill so give your body time to get it out of your system before being sexually active or use another method of contraception."

BambiRaptors (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

"Started taking this medication this morning with the only UTI related side effect being fever and fatigue. Now since taking two doses of Nitrofurantoin, I have excruciating shoulder and neck pain. In case a UTI wasn't uncomfortable enough by itself, now as much as I want to sleep, I can't even lay down without constant muscle pain. I will be contacting my primary care doctor in the morning to send in another prescription because this is unbearable."

Unimportance December 30, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I tried this for a UTI, got sharp pains behind my ribs that come and go all the time. Stopped taking it after two or three days and my UTI came right back. Now on bactrim and have the WORST head aches all day long."

Emmy4559 December 29, 2015

"Worst antibiotic ever! Slept almost non-stop for days. Could not eat/nausea. Severe chills. Extreme pain in neck,shoulder knees,(anywhere that I had minor arthritis). Throat closed up and could barely breathe. Lungs became congested. Very scary.The side effects were the worst of all antibiotics that I have ever taken. I will never take these again."

dlaett (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I tried taking this medicine twice. Both times I could only get to the second or third dose before being affected. It does cure the UTI however, I awoke with a terrible headache and a weird sensation in my eyes. By the second dose this weird sick feeling increased so much that I can only describe it as a poisoned feeling. As I have never been allergic or sensitive to anything I stupidly tryed it again. Same result."

Mary Ann K December 23, 2015

"My mother took it for UTI. after the fouth dose, she had shaking chills, fever, chest pain and upper back pain. I am not sure whether this is caused by UTI itself or from the medication, hope that she recovers"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa December 23, 2015

"I have been prescribed a course for 4 days of this antibiotic. Took 3 doses yesterday and felt a little off but manageable. However, today I have felt horrendous. Dizzy to the point of nearly passing out. Hot and cold chills. So tired it's untrue and general scariness to go to sleep because if feeling so bad. Awful medication."

Cazlarr December 22, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I read the side effects before taking this medicine, which you should probably never do, but I decided to give it a try anyways. Took one dose and was fine, after the next dose I started feeling not good. Got the chills and a slight fever, and made my already existing anxiety worse. It did however, make the urinary symptoms subside. However, when my original urinary culture returned, no bacteria was found??? needless to say, because of the side effects, I stopped after two doses."

hayck December 20, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Taken 3 doses of this stuff for UTI It's godawful... I went to work with a boiling forehead and headaches, took some pain pills for the headache but my forehead still felt like it was melting off. Go home, take my third dose, headache comes back and is wicked... my tongue is cramping and my throat feels strange, I'm afraid to fall asleep. Never taking this stuff ever again."

K-li (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015