User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Review Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I have been prone to uti's for years. I have been put on every antibiotic under the sun. For me, this is the antibiotic I would choose every time because it works and has minimal side effects. The only side effect I have experienced is a headache. I will take a headache any day over horrible bladder infection pain. Also, this antibiotic helps to clear up the infection within the first day of use, which is a plus for me so I am not in pain as long. (I have taken cipro, which made me throw up and cry, bactrum, didnt clear up my infection, and monurol which made me very sick as well.) It is important to remember to make a "pill sandwich" with this antibiotic. You eat a full meal, take the pill, and then eat some snacks after the pill."

Dandy Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"This is terrible drug. I took it for 7 days and after I finished all of it I broke out in a bad rash, had fever, hurt all over. I've been off of it for over a week and had to go to Dr twice. This should be taken off the market. I just hope permanent damage was not done to my organs."

Momma Sue (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Macrobid has to be the worse medication I have ever took in my life. It should be banned. I got an extreme allergic reaction that lasted at least 1 month. I was put on prednisone and Zyrtec to stop my body from swelling. I had red marks and rashes throughout my body even while on prednisone and Zyrtec after using marcrobid. Initially I placed on marcrobid for a uti. I took all 14 prescribed pills. One week after finishing the macrobid I experienced extreme swelling throughout my body. I feel as if my body still never recovered from the reaction years later. I recommend cipro over macrobid it is dangerous. !!!!!!! And should be banned !!!!"

Do not take macrobid (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"Took first pill and symptoms went away. Second pill I started getting tingling and burning in my back 4 hours after taking the medication. Second pill made the back symptoms go away but introduced a intense pressure in my bladder and pelvic area. 4 hours later it went away then the back pains started again, and 10x worse. My spine had sharp spike of pains in it. I was rushed to ER and was told to stay off the pills. They didn't know what caused the reaction (obviously they can't admit it was the pill) and sent me home with some ativan to relax my body. Stopped for 2 days and the spiking pains are still in my back and spine on and off. Also felt weak and lost feelings in my legs. Be careful, if you see symptoms stop right away. Do not risk!"

PillsAreBAD June 25, 2015

"Prescriped twice a day for 7 days and it started working after the second pill.i can say it has helped the condition greatly but I have been fatigued, sleepy with some backache . Have two days to go and can't wait..it does get the job done so the side effects are worth it"

Uti after turp (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I have been taking macrobid for two days now and my UTI feels better but today I woke up with terrible back aches where my kidneys are located and pains on my front sides. I have been so sleepy also today like can't even keep my eyes open with bad headaches."

Mrs. Olvey June 21, 2015

"I was put on Nitrofurantoin for seven days, taken four pills evenly throughout the day. I haven't finished my course, I have two more days to go but it has worked thus far. Previously, I was put on Trimethoprim for 3 days which I thought was helping my symptoms slightly but now I realize that it was worse medication since it made my backache badly unlike this new medication. The only side affect, I think is that I feel cold or I think I have had hot flushes (which weren't bad since I felt I was blushing throughout my face and it wasn't that hot). My UTI seems to be gone and I can't wait until I am done with this."

Kay0523 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed macrobid for a 3 day course, 2 doses a day. The first day I seemed to be getting better, but then I woke up at 4:15am the morning of the second day with chest pains. Throughout the day I suffered from headaches, chest pains, muscle and joint aches, nausea, dizziness, fever and chills. Now on the third day, and though I'm not feeling as ill anymore, I'm still dealing with chest, back and stomach pains. Can't even tell if treating the UTI because I've been in so much pain. Worst experience I've ever had with antibiotics - would definitely never use macrobid again!"

lhs1995 June 10, 2015

"Took first pill with no food. No stomach upset. Had mild chills 1st night(10 min) Feeling great on 3rd day. No other side effects."

ullmang (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

"Day two taking the antibiotic and feeling tired and depressed. My hands feel icy. I missed work because of the depressed and tired feeling. I will never take this drug again. I feel like Ive been poisoned."

mbe June 7, 2015

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin): "I am extremely sensitive to antibiotic side effects so avoid them whenever possible. Usually I take D-Mannose for Urinary or vaginal (yeast) infections but I was out of it and needed something NOW. Doc called in Macrodantin because I cannot tolerate Cipro or most other ABs. 2nd day on pills and so far zero stomach pain or nausea. I have not noticed a reduction in the pain from the UTI yet so hoping by tonight will see relief. BTW: look up D-mannose. I have used it for over 10 yrs and it has stopped the UTI's and yeast infections if I take it as soon as I feel something. It is a sugar so you can take it every day if needed without any complications. It works by detaching the bacteria from the body. Buy the powder. 2 tsp/day"

MJanine (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2015

"I gave this medication a 10 for effectiveness because my UTI symptoms subsided completely after the second dose. I'm still taking this medication and have two and a half days left. Since starting my doses I have experienced nausea, extreme fatigue and muscle weakness, shortness of breath, sensitivity to heat and a loss of appetite. I can't wait till it's over. After reading all the reviews it seems this medication makes everyone sick. It did seem to clear up my UTI, though, which was worse than these symptoms, but not by much."

JJ3 June 2, 2015

"I'm on day two of taking this. I have had very mild side affects. Slight headache and sort of feel tired and out of it for a little bit but it seems to go away. I have not had the bad side affects that others have mentioned and always take it with some food and have been drinking lots of water to flush my system out. Everyone is effected differently by meds. If you have not had this antibiotic before then I would not let others reviews scare you. If you have problems after taking it then call and talk to your doctor about it. Even though the pharmacist said I could drink alcohol moderately I plan to stay away as that could aggravate the side affects and it also dehydrates you which will do nothing but aggravate a UTI."

Day Two Taking This (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2015

"Was prescribed this for uti and started feeling nauseous after the second tablet by the second day I was vomiting and struggling to keep even fluids down. Was getting cold sweats and just feeling generally unwell. Went back the drs and they changed antibiotic. Also dr retested urine and infection was positive. Didn't do a thing for me just made me feel awful ."

Amy bobs May 27, 2015

"Just started and have chills, no symptoms have subsided. I am surprised at all the people here who list what the manufacturer states as 'serious' side effects! Inform your doctor straightaway if any of the following rare but very serious side effects occur: New signs of infection (e.g. fever or persistent sore throat) Easy bruising or bleeding Mental or mood changes Persistent or severe headaches Vision changes Generic Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin) may turn your urine dark yellow to brown in color. This is a harmless side effect that will disappear as soon as you stop taking the medication. In rare cases, Generic Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin) may cause very serious lung problems. Seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following"

Lina Petra May 26, 2015

"I was prescribed this for my UTI after Bactrim didn't work. It diminished my symptoms but gave me terrible stomach aches and horrible nausea. It was a little bit better if I ate yogurt right before taking it, but I would still feel terribly sick. If I had the option of any other medicine, I would take it."

xxsickxx (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Rx paperwork does not say Take with Food even tho it is very important to do so. My UTI symptoms were gone after taking the first pill. I only have to take it for 3 days but I am experiencing some side effects. I feel achy and very sleepy. Just have no energy in general. I had diarrhea after the first dose but not terrible. I just don't want to get out of bed. I still rated this med a 10 because it did take away my UTI symptoms almost immediately. Just remember to eat a full meal before each dose and it makes all the difference in the side effects. Two pills to go, I can do this."

Happy_user May 24, 2015

"This medicine started to work from day one, which was a huge relief. I took it immediately after main meals, with a full glass of water, and drank lots of water during the day, and had no stomach issues with it whatsoever. It had some unpleasant side effects (headaches most days, wooziness, tiredness in the evenings) and some weird ones (neon yellow pee!) but it also was effective against a really nasty UTI. I'd take it again if the condition returned."

Caz274 May 19, 2015

"Not bad, few side affects of blury vision and headaches but on the plus side they've worked so!"

jadeeeeee (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

"Bright yellow urine, always tired, on and off nausea and just constant feeling rubbish.. 4 days to go..."

Amberbryony (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Taking Macroboid has saved my life! I have been prone to UTIs since I was sexually active and have had bladder infections by whole life. I have tried everything from Cipro (makes my feet swollen) to Bactrum (doesn't cure) amongst many others. I was very surprised by the other reviews so felt the need to write one because it has been the best medication to help prevent me from getting another UTI- as long as I take food with it, I am fine."

Mariemc May 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Developed interstitial lung disease and hypoxia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I started this medicine for my UTI I always ate a meal with this pill I really did not experience any sickness I was on it for 7 days . I have trouble anxiety but it was not too bad but it seemed like this medicine made me more anxious at times then on my last few days I felt a little weird at times then on my last day taking the medicine I woke up with my throat scratchy then by evening I had a fever and bad chills I didn't take the last pill because I felt so bad my head kinda hurts too I don't know if it's this medicine for sure or if I'm catching a virus"

Ctmrdm28 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"I decided to do some research to make sure that I was prescribed the correct thing, I had never heard of an antibiotic starting with Nitro? After reading the scary reviews I contacted my doctor's office and they assured me they have multiple patients that have been prescribed it, and with good results. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 10 days, and I wouldn't even know I was on it other than a change in the color of my urine. I feel completely normal and have no side effects, and it is getting the job done! I felt better after one day."

czerw1tl (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Prescribed macrobid for a UTI. I took my first pill last night with rice and bread, felt fine. Woke up this morning to get ready for work and had to sit down in the shower I got so nauseous. Couldn't even finish washing out my shampoo and had to lean over the toilet because I thought I would throw up. Held it in and almost passed out walking back to my bed. Slept another three hours then got up to try to make toast and got too nauseous and dizzy to even wait on the toaster. The UTI already feels much better after one pill but I have never felt so miserable, am missing work, and have called my doctor to try to get off this medication."

Anonymous April 28, 2015