User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 4)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 28 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 208 reviews 174 medications

5.3
Bladder Infection 123 reviews 68 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 359 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been suffering on and off with UTIs for about 4 years now (my mother and grandmother are prone to them and I see to have inherited that, unfortunately), and I mean SUFFERING. My symptoms get to the point of missing work and making trips to the ER. This past infection was the first time that I was put on Macrobid and I have nothing more to say than that it is a miracle drug. Within 2 hours of taking the first dose, the urgency of needing to urinate had diminished tenfold. On day two now (fourth dose), and all of the pain is gone. I am on many more medications and the fact that my doctor could find an antibiotic that wouldn't interact with anything I was currently taking (including birth control) was incredible. Will use in the future."

M V October 6, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Had either a urinary infection or intestinal. New to macrobid, in one day after taking the medicine I ran a 104.7 fever, was nauseous and hurt all over. Ran a fever off and on till I got off the med and started cipro. Began noticing fatigue, brain fog and constant headaches. 10 weeks later I've been diagnosed with hypoxmia and am starting night time oxygen therapy. Already have RA, Sjogrens and Sarcoidosis, didn't need this drug complicating my life. Macrobid should be taken off the market!!!"

Sick in AK (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "was prescribed this medication for a UTI. Never had this pill before. OMG...I was nauseous 24/7 with chest pains and only took it for 3 days!. Also gastro issues and feeling like you are in a fog....I always got CIPRO for this type of E coli infection. Don't know why my doctor gave me this horrible medicine. Called today for different medication because I am not sure if the infection is cleared up. Pain is gone but that is all. Wouldn't recommend this."

mrbsmom October 2, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed by doctor since I am allergic to sulfa meds. Developed horrible mouth soreness that is so bad I can't drink or eat much, like I was eating hot peppers ! Urine on treatment day 9 hadn't changed"

niva September 30, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I got prescribed microbid. read all kind of review good and bad ones. Decides to give it a try. Ate like a pig and took the pill. I got so sick. I was light headed (like I consumed all kind of drugs) had sharp pain in my stomach. Got a fever. My back...ohh my back killed me. And I had difficulties breathing. Felt like I got kicked by a horse. I called sick 2 days in a row for work. And I only took 2 pills. Im stopping it. Gonna end up in the coffin much faster with that medication, I was all normal before taking that medication with a bit of UTI...now feel like I'm a rotten vegetable :("

Meedium September 29, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "How long does it take for this tablet to work. I have cystitis."

hayley3456 September 28, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this for a bladder infection. It took 24 hours for me to notice any improvement. I am on day 4. I had 20 minutes of mild nausea one day, but that was the only side effect. Not as bad as others, like doxycycline. Surprised to find this didn't make my yeast infection come back, or cause any other unpleasant side effects."

L L September 28, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Was prescribed this for an e-coli UTI but had never received this in the past. BAD choice of color of pill. It forewarns issues. Had what I thought was the flu this weekend. Twelve hrs then the fever broke. Did know know that flu symtoms could be a side effect. Have had head aches (top of head) since beginning. Now have vaginitis of some ilk. Now don't know what route the Dr will suggest: Worried, in pain, and not sleeping waiting for the dr's office to open. I will always put macrobid in my medical records as an allergy. Took in generic form to keep costs down. Still expensive and now must start over with another drug, delaying both the cure of the UTI and causing the vaginal discharge."

PushawKa (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was so traumatized to take this med based on other reviews. I'm 120 and 5"4 and get sick and nauseous from even one tynenol regular strength. I got pedialyte to prepare... Took the pill and waited. And NOTHING happened except my uti going away. Do yourself a favor and don't read the Internet. Trust your dr!"

SDO September 27, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Horrible. After two I came down with a fever (102.6) and awful chills. The worst was the body aches - in particular my upper back, My gut told me it was the medicine and not a sudden case of the flu. I went off immediately and within 15 hours felt 100% myself again. Everyone is different and this drug is not for everyone."

Orango (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Dr. gave for UTI and 100 mg twice a day for 10 days. first day took one and night had terrible pain in the stomach, next day took 2 and that night my throat swelled............that was it and I read the side effects, I had two that was enough for me since I had spent three nights in ICU at hospital a couple of years earlier for swollen tongue from allergic reaction to Lisinprol for blood pressure.............I did not want to take that kind of chance. I am sure there is other medicine out there, but he felt I didn't give it a chance. It looks like you can have different reactions at different times...meaning it doesn't bother you one time you take it but it can the next time. side effects deadly."

buzz buzz September 21, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Just finished 3 days of this for a UTI and though it has worked for the condition I feel terrible ! Feel like I have no energy and like I'm going to pass out. Whole body aches ! Just phoned my chemist who told me this was quite common on this tablet and I should feel normal in a few days. Shame it's my wedding anniversary today as I just want to go to sleep all day. Won't take this one again it's not worth it."

monchetta September 19, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This was effective in treating my UTI. Mine started on a Wednesday, I went to see my GP on friday. I was diagnosed with a mild UTI and I started taking nitrofurantoin 100 mg from Friday evening. The only reason I deducted 2 stars is because it took 4 days to ease the pain and, some side effects like nausea during afternoon and mild discomfort while sleeping after taking this pill. I took plenty of water and used to take the dose on time for 7 days."

Simora19 September 17, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Do not take this medication.I feel as if I have poisoned myself. I was prescribed to take one pill, twice a day, for 5 days. After the 2nd dose I began vomiting and had an awful pounding headache. I called the doctor to ask if I could be given something else and he said no and to continue taking the medication. After the 3rd and 4th dose I am not taking it anymore. I feel nauseated constantly, my body aches and I feel like I am sick and the worst part is my chest hurts really bad. I have a constant pain/pressure in the center of my chest and if I laugh or cough it feels like my entire chest cavity hurts. I have read that is one of the more serious side effects and it's freaking me out. How can an antibiotic make your chest hurt like that??"

Anonymous September 16, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this medicine for a bladder infection and would never recommend anyone to take it. Obviously it depends on your body type but I usually have a high tolerance. I'm needing to head to the doctors now because I've been experiencing painful headaches everyday, sharp stomach aches, muscle pain, chills (hot to brutally cold:fever type symptoms), tingling, light headed, nauseous, eye aches, my urine went from neon green to dark brown, and as gross as it is, I haven't been able to take a proper poo but every time I pass gas on the toilet watery diarrhea like stuff comes out and I've seen some blood when I whipped. This medicine definitely didn't go well with me and is a painful experience!"

SandiMacdonald September 10, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Prescribed Macrobid after misdiagnosis. 2nd day, I was yellow, vomiting, dizzy, weak. Hospitalised at hospital emergencies. Took doctors one week to confirm Macrobid was the reason for my liver failure. Almost lost my life."

Ninipeaudechien (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "This medication was prescribed for a UTI. I was given 10 capsules to be taken 2 a day for 5 days. The WHAM hit me shortly after the first pill. Within hours, I became totally lost. I shook with chills, my head pounded with a horrible headache, my eyes just wanted to stay closed, and I spent a very unrestful night. When I had to go to the bathroom or to get water, I dizzily stumbled into furniture. I had absolutely NO appetite, but made myself eat enough to take three more pills before I QUIT! The list of possible side affects on the package read like a checklist of my issues. I realize each person can experience different side-affects, but I think any responsible doctor should discuss these before prescribing. DO NOT EVEN TRY!"

Totally Confused (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I'm one of those female twenty something's that always have UTI issues and most antibiotics make me nauseous but this one is nausea plus maybe like a little headache. Like the kind you get if you don't drink enough water, but like whatever. It normally kicks in after 3 days or so"

Lolokay (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "The only side effect I had from this medication was diarrhea and frankly I will take that over having to urinate every 10 mins.! It took 3 days to get relief and I may ask for another round just to make sure it's gone since I am going on vacation soon. I realize I had a really bad infection and maybe that's why it didn't work right away. I did not get a yeast infection yet which shocks me because I am diabetic and get everything like that."

cuddleskp (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Almost died. Severe lung scarring and severe hypoxia. 74% 02 saturation. 3 months of continual oxygen, fortunately I recovered."

Macon2 August 30, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have a very very hard time with medicine. Even mild medications have made me extremely sick. I can't tolerate cipro or Bactrim, and easily get utis. I was terrified this time when they gave me macrobid because I'd never had it. Even zpack made me very sick. And then I read these reviews and just cried at the thought of taking it. I went out and bought crackers and sprite, etc. to prepare for what's been described here. Then I took it, and waited. ... and waited.... and waited. Nothing horrible ever happened. It's important to remember that everyone has a different experience. Don't even read these. My main advice w this med is to eat eat eat. If anything happens you feel is weird just ask your Dr. But mostly, relax and trust your Dr."

Et_tu_bladder (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is the third time I have tried Macrobid and the worst. High fever, chills, sweating, nausea, and terrible headache. I spent the whole day and night in bed. This is the very last time I will take this. My doctor did not think this terrible pill would cause a fever in spite of me telling him it did twice before. I told him I am off this pill and now waiting for the culture. I will not ever be taking this again."

Microbad August 28, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I take this medication with food per the instructions I was given, yet I do experience a very very severe headache with this medication that does not get better with pain medication such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen. I even tried my Sumatriptan that I normally use for migraines hoping it would help but it very sadly did nothing for my headache. The severe headache is the only symptom that is really a big issue for me and otherwise I find this medication very effective. I just wish there was something I could do about the head pain, as it is very difficult to get through the day with a throbbing migraine-like headache that cannot be treated with any type of pain medication."

Holland Avery August 25, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm I day 6 of this medication. It's pretty good at clearing up the UTI, but it does have some side affects; I've had pain on my left lower stomach towards pelvis for many days off and on. It feels almost like cramps! I also have had a tingling tounge and possible thrush (though hopefully not-symptom haven't progressed). I can't take a lot of abx so I'm thankful that this has worked, but looking forward to being DONE."

Jaycee72 August 24, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Stomach pain, nausea, feel like could get sick, after 3 complete doses, shortness of breath, chest pain."

slacker (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015