User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 83 reviews 160 medications

Bladder Infection 71 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 176 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by Monihrin:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Macrodantin also known as nitrofurantoin is really good medication for UTI. I was struggling with UTI long time. I tried Cefalexin and it didn't work for me. I did try Augmentin as I never had problem with this one and it's really strong but I started to vomit after 2 hours of taking the pill. Macrodantin can be good choice for people with sensitive stomach. I had no side effects.

September 12, 2012 3:27 PM

For Bladder Infection: I started taking nitrofurantoin today for a bladder infection first and only pill at about 1pm, felt fine till about 6pm and started feeling extremely tired to the point I could hardly stay awake. Then came the horrible nausea (thanks for Zofran) along with, dizziness, chills, shortness of breath, headache, stuffy nose and not feeling well in general.

August 30, 2012 11:51 PM

Review by Sebbietash:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have been using Macrobid for a couple of years now. I am allergic to all other medications and therefore this is all I have to work with. It works well, doesn't always work for me. Sometimes I have to take a second week of it. I often feel the same way as others. Headache if I haven't drank enough water, upset stomach if I hadn't ate enough food when taking the pill. It does make me tired as well. I try to eat well when I am on this medication to help with the energy level since I am allergic to caffeine and can't take that path. I think that if you make sure to take the pill with lots of food like they recommend, the nausea isn't that bad. Also, drinking more water then your ever use to, will help with the headaches.

August 24, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by Jackie23his (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Macrobid (100 mg 1 capsule twice daily for 5 days). I have had a recurring bladder infection since June and it is now Aug 15. The doctor had told me that I having recurring bladder infections so I shouldn't have sex during treatment, another reason because I have a new partner. And my urethra is getting all stressed out and all I need to do is give it a rest and let the antibiotics do its work, and later wait at least a week after the antibiotics to finish to have sex. This way I give it enough time for the urethra to strengthen. Anyhow, I am on my third day of this medication, I noticed it affects my nervous system, I get a lot of panic/anxiety attacks, fatigue and weakness.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2012 12:30 AM

Review by nancysew:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Nitrofurantoin cleared up my urinary tract infection in one day; but, the side effects were horrendous. I took it for only two days; called my doctor because of the side effects and stopped taking it. I experienced severe reflux, abdominal pain, nausea, extreme headaches and inability to sleep and depression.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2012 10:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I'm on my 6th day and it hasn't helped so far.

August 5, 2012 10:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Right after taking Macrobid for my urinary tract infection I started feeling sick and really tired. When I went to lay down I had vomiting. Macrobid works but the side effects are terrible.

July 26, 2012 9:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I am on day 3 of this medicine, urine culture showed growth of staph. So far, no side effects for me. It's already helped alleviate my symptoms, so I am hopeful that it will make it all go away by day 7.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2012 1:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I'm 36 hours in on this medicine and experiencing pretty bad headaches. Of course it is the weekend and I can't really do anything until Monday. I still feel a slight twinge when I urinate. This is my first time on this medication. I'm hopeful that when I wake up tomorrow morning I will have more of an improvement.

July 21, 2012 2:23 AM

Review by mered (taken for less than 1 month):

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Have taken this medication twice- started feeing unwell after 4 days the first time around, the second time thought I had flu as well as urinary tract infection, last pill of the day taken at supper time, by bedtime feeling ill and then by midnight very ill, delirious, nausea, chills, rapid heart beat. Went to Doctor and told to discontinue medication.

June 24, 2012 1:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I stopped taking this medicine mid course as I experienced severe pains in my head which radiated down my neck. My head felt numb and its the oddest feeling I have ever felt. I felt disoriented, confused and extremely agitated. I felt nauseated and generally ill. I also suffered problems breathing which felt like my airway was obstructed.

June 20, 2012 12:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I was terrified to take this antibiotic because of the terrible reactions I read about but I was PERFECTLY fine when and after taking it. Worked great!

June 15, 2012 3:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I am a paraplegic due to a gunshot to my spine incurred in VietNam. I had taken Macrodantin for over forty years and it helped to greatly curb my infections due to the need for intermittent catheritization three times daily. It caused side effects as I got older. I hadn't realized that this medicine was causing me to be continuously dizzy and generally unwell. I have since stopped taking it.

May 30, 2012 10:28 PM

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I had 8 urinary tract infections in one year. Since being on one tablet at bedtime I've had none. And no side effects. Amazing!

May 30, 2012 4:02 PM

For Bladder Infection: I suffer from chronic bladder infections and before I discovered Lady Soma's Cranberry Supplements, I was at the doctor's office about every 3 months. I have been taking the Lady Soma Cranberry every day for about 6 months now and I have not had to go back to the doctor.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2012 11:24 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This medicine worked really well. It did take about 3 days to kick in and make me feel 100% better though. Took it as directed and did not have any problems. I did have nausea about 8 hours after taking the pill but I would eat something and the nausea would go away. Make sure to drink lots of fluids in order to get rid of the infection and continue to drink lots of fluids to prevent the infection! Took medication twice daily for seven days.

May 8, 2012 5:24 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Great ..years of use.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2012 1:37 AM

Review by brownemoon:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Extreme nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, joint pain and rash.

April 15, 2012 8:17 PM

Review by EmIly Pons:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I absolutely love this medication. Works really fast, I didn't leave me with any side effects, and makes me feel better within a few hours! I will never take another medication for a urinary tract infection again besides this one!

April 13, 2012 4:39 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I was 20 weeks pregnant when I had to go to the hospital because I had a bladder infection and kidney stones. The doctor ordered me to take this twice a day for 7 days and it helped greatly. When I went in two weeks later for a follow up with my ob/gyn he said the infection was gone but just to be safe he put me on this for the rest of my pregnancy to prevent me from getting another infection since I'm predisposed to getting them. After three weeks of taking this once a day I had to take myself off of it. I was nauseous all morning and night, tired to the point of lethargy, and just not feeling well at all in general. As soon as I stopped taking it all the horribleness went away.

April 11, 2012 8:04 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Was a little fatigued and had some loose bowel movements but I no longer cry when I pee so I'd call that a win!

March 26, 2012 11:29 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: My doctor has prescribed me Macrobid because I frequently suffer from urinary tract infections and, combined with a 44oz cranberry juice, I feel better same day.

March 15, 2012 8:27 AM

Review by bebe7923:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have had a urinary tract infection since January and it is now March. First I was put on a Z-pak with no relief. Then I was put on Cipro. The test came back as if I hadn't taken anything. Now I am on nitrofurantoin and the symptoms have subsided. I have a headache and am tired but so what they will go away when I finish taking this. It worked great for me.

March 10, 2012 2:32 PM

Review by gglu:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I have been on this medication for 4 days now for ongoing bladder infection, only side effect so far is that I feel very nervy in the mornings until I get enough food into me to counteract it. Also went out last night and had one glass of wine and my whole face, neck and chest went bright red for at least half an hour and felt very hot.

March 3, 2012 8:59 PM

Review by Gigianie:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I took Macrobid for 7 days, and it alleviated my urianry tract infection (very happy that). Four days after finishing the Macrobid, I started to itch all over my body from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. There's no rash present but my skin gets very sensitive and red even before I scratch (super red). Five days after taking the medication, I am experiencing tightness in my esophagus and burning; as if I had a bad case of acid reflux (I have a minor level of acid reflux).

February 26, 2012 1:21 PM