User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 21 reviews 29 medications

4.9
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 152 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by Gigianie: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I took Macrobid for 7 days, and it alleviated my urianry tract infection (very happy that). Four days after finishing the Macrobid, I started to itch all over my body from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. There's no rash present but my skin gets very sensitive and red even before I scratch (super red). Five days after taking the medication, I am experiencing tightness in my esophagus and burning; as if I had a bad case of acid reflux (I have a minor level of acid reflux).

February 26, 2012 1:21 PM
Review by juliespider:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: Excellent medication! Used to have permanent cystitis for 3 years! But since taking this medication, one tablet a day I have not had any signs of it since. No side effects for me either. I call it my magic pill. Will be devastated if I have to come off it. Been taking it for a year and a half now.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 28, 2012 8:34 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Does not work for me.

January 23, 2012 2:51 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have been on Macrobid for 3 days now. I feel so nauseated. I'm so tired and I can't eat or drink anything, EXCEPT for a little water, without getting sick. It gives me a horrible headache and I feel so weak. I am also allergic to sulfa medications (Bactrim) so the doctor gave me this.

January 18, 2012 1:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This is the second time I've been prescribed this medication. I don't recall any side effects (other than the freaky urine colour!). But this time, I feel like I'm about to vomit... and it's only been about 4.5 hours since I started this medicine.

January 4, 2012 5:59 PM
Review by Bleak: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have bladder infections from group B Strep bacteria, much harder to get rid of than E. coli because it keeps coming back. Augmentin worked the first time, but didn't clear it up this time. Nitrofurantoin is still not taking out the complete sting. Makes me instantly drowsy- almost like a sleep aid. Had some mild stomach issues but could be attributed to period.

December 19, 2011 12:17 PM
Review by DarthYemmyVader: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Prevention of Bladder infection: I take this antibiotic after intercourse and I have not experienced an infection since! Highly recommend this to anyone that has recurring urinary tract infections. Be sure to eat before you take and do not take with alcohol.

December 19, 2011 2:26 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Prevention of Bladder infection: Ever since I was a child, I have had recurring urinary tract infections that only became more frequent as I grew older. I was having 4-12 UTI's a year and was treated for 8 kidney infections, three of which required hospitalization. Nitrofurantoin has made a huge difference in my life. One 50mg pill a day and I have not had a single UTI in over 5 years.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 12, 2011 1:32 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I just finished a round of nitrofurantoin and had the worst symptoms of fever, chills, insomnia, bloating, and headaches. I eventually had to go to the ER and was subscribed another antibiotic. It is working fine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 8, 2011 12:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I had a severe reaction to this medication. Chills, very high fever, bright redness on both legs from ankles to knees and red blotches on upper legs. Also, red blotches and hives on both arms. Fatigue.

November 15, 2011 9:54 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I experienced nausea, a headache, and for the first time in my life, (I'm 21) I had trouble breathing, it was pretty scary. I only had 1 dose.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2011 7:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I have been on this medication for 5 days now, for a possible UTI my Doctor diagnosed. It makes me feel terrible, like depressed. On top of it, it gives me insomnia. I was trying to find out on these reviews if anybody experiences insomnia too.

October 12, 2011 9:38 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I started taking this medicine two days ago. I've been nauseous starting yesterday, and started being fatigued starting today. I don't have many choices for antibiotics, and this one works.

October 7, 2011 3:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Urinary Tract Infection: I just finished up 7 days on Macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I feel like I have been hit by a bus and have the flu. I have a headache, feel weak and generally awful. Not sure the status of the UTI.

September 29, 2011 11:51 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I am on my 6th day of Macrobid and I still have symptoms of my urinary tract infections. I have awful headaches, the worst nausea and I'm exhausted when taking this medication.

September 21, 2011 5:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Cleared up my urinary tract infection quickly but I had a severe reaction to the medication. High fever, profuse sweating, chills, blurred vision, muscle aches, skin sensitivity (it was uncomfortable to touch my skin), rash, tingling and burning in my hands and feet, racing heart, confusion. Most of these symptoms started on Day 2 of the 6 days I took it. I thought all of these symptoms with the exception of the rash were from flu.

September 3, 2011 8:33 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Nitrofurantoin caused extreme nausea.

August 31, 2011 11:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Amazing! My doctor prescribed this for whenever I felt an infection coming on. It was great and efficient. By morning, there was no more pain!

August 26, 2011 8:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Bladder Infection: I had a bad reaction to this medicine. I only took it for 5 days (100 mg each night). The third day I started to have terrible headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizziness and pale skin. Now I have like a flu. I decided to stop it. I feel miserable. To many side effects.

July 24, 2011 12:17 PM
Review by Mother of six: User Rating:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: This medicine changed my life. I used to get urinary tract infections during pregnancy, breastfeeding, after sex all the time, until a doctor prescribed put me on this daily. Never have a urinary tract infection again while on it. No side effects for me, just pain free pee.

July 17, 2011 3:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: It cleared up my urinary tract infection symptoms within 24 hours, however my doctor prescribed it to me for 2 weeks. Today was the end of the first week and I've experienced a slight shortness of breath, and a bit of weight on my lungs, almost like one feels with bronchitis. I feel as though I must breathe deeply in order to fully expand my lungs and sometimes it causes me to have a dry cough. I think I'll stop taking it before things get worse.

July 11, 2011 9:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

nitrofurantoin for Bladder Infection: I have been taking Nitrofurantoin for almost 6 days already and other than making me tired and feeling a great amount of pressure under my abdomen, I feel okay. Hopefully the infection does not come back. I will update after the 7th day.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 22, 2011 8:35 PM
Review by Maralem:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: It is a very effective antibiotic, but you really have to take it with a food. It has relieved all the symptoms of my urinary tract infection, but it gives me heart pains and on third day of taking it, I started feeling faint like and thought I almost was going to pass out. I immediately went and bought a Gatorade drink and the electrolytes in the drink helped me feel better. Had to stop taking it.

June 9, 2011 4:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: Be prepared for a feeling of being generally unwell, fatigued, with upset stomach.

June 3, 2011 11:55 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Abdominal cramps with diarrhea and nausea. Will tough it out this time but if I get another infection will definitely ask for a different antibiotic.

May 21, 2011 11:48 AM