User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 22 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 77 reviews 158 medications

5.9
Bladder Infection 65 reviews 79 medications

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 164 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I am a paraplegic due to a gunshot to my spine incurred in VietNam. I had taken Macrodantin for over forty years and it helped to greatly curb my infections due to the need for intermittent catheritization three times daily. It caused side effects as I got older. I hadn't realized that this medicine was causing me to be continuously dizzy and generally unwell. I have since stopped taking it.

May 30, 2012 10:28 PM

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I had 8 urinary tract infections in one year. Since being on one tablet at bedtime I've had none. And no side effects. Amazing!

May 30, 2012 4:02 PM

For Bladder Infection: I suffer from chronic bladder infections and before I discovered Lady Soma's Cranberry Supplements, I was at the doctor's office about every 3 months. I have been taking the Lady Soma Cranberry every day for about 6 months now and I have not had to go back to the doctor.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2012 11:24 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This medicine worked really well. It did take about 3 days to kick in and make me feel 100% better though. Took it as directed and did not have any problems. I did have nausea about 8 hours after taking the pill but I would eat something and the nausea would go away. Make sure to drink lots of fluids in order to get rid of the infection and continue to drink lots of fluids to prevent the infection! Took medication twice daily for seven days.

May 8, 2012 5:24 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Great ..years of use.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2012 1:37 AM

Review by brownemoon:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: Extreme nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, joint pain and rash.

April 15, 2012 8:17 PM

Review by EmIly Pons:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I absolutely love this medication. Works really fast, I didn't leave me with any side effects, and makes me feel better within a few hours! I will never take another medication for a urinary tract infection again besides this one!

April 13, 2012 4:39 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: I was 20 weeks pregnant when I had to go to the hospital because I had a bladder infection and kidney stones. The doctor ordered me to take this twice a day for 7 days and it helped greatly. When I went in two weeks later for a follow up with my ob/gyn he said the infection was gone but just to be safe he put me on this for the rest of my pregnancy to prevent me from getting another infection since I'm predisposed to getting them. After three weeks of taking this once a day I had to take myself off of it. I was nauseous all morning and night, tired to the point of lethargy, and just not feeling well at all in general. As soon as I stopped taking it all the horribleness went away.

April 11, 2012 8:04 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Was a little fatigued and had some loose bowel movements but I no longer cry when I pee so I'd call that a win!

March 26, 2012 11:29 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: My doctor has prescribed me Macrobid because I frequently suffer from urinary tract infections and, combined with a 44oz cranberry juice, I feel better same day.

March 15, 2012 8:27 AM

Review by bebe7923:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have had a urinary tract infection since January and it is now March. First I was put on a Z-pak with no relief. Then I was put on Cipro. The test came back as if I hadn't taken anything. Now I am on nitrofurantoin and the symptoms have subsided. I have a headache and am tired but so what they will go away when I finish taking this. It worked great for me.

March 10, 2012 2:32 PM

Review by gglu:

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: I have been on this medication for 4 days now for ongoing bladder infection, only side effect so far is that I feel very nervy in the mornings until I get enough food into me to counteract it. Also went out last night and had one glass of wine and my whole face, neck and chest went bright red for at least half an hour and felt very hot.

March 3, 2012 8:59 PM

Review by Gigianie:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I took Macrobid for 7 days, and it alleviated my urianry tract infection (very happy that). Four days after finishing the Macrobid, I started to itch all over my body from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. There's no rash present but my skin gets very sensitive and red even before I scratch (super red). Five days after taking the medication, I am experiencing tightness in my esophagus and burning; as if I had a bad case of acid reflux (I have a minor level of acid reflux).

February 26, 2012 1:21 PM

Review by juliespider:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Excellent medication! Used to have permanent cystitis for 3 years! But since taking this medication, one tablet a day I have not had any signs of it since. No side effects for me either. I call it my magic pill. Will be devastated if I have to come off it. Been taking it for a year and a half now.

January 28, 2012 8:34 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: Does not work for me.

January 23, 2012 2:51 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have been on Macrobid for 3 days now. I feel so nauseated. I'm so tired and I can't eat or drink anything, EXCEPT for a little water, without getting sick. It gives me a horrible headache and I feel so weak. I am also allergic to sulfa medications (Bactrim) so the doctor gave me this.

January 18, 2012 1:38 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: This is the second time I've been prescribed this medication. I don't recall any side effects (other than the freaky urine colour!). But this time, I feel like I'm about to vomit... and it's only been about 4.5 hours since I started this medicine.

January 4, 2012 5:59 PM

Review by Bleak:

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have bladder infections from group B Strep bacteria, much harder to get rid of than E. coli because it keeps coming back. Augmentin worked the first time, but didn't clear it up this time. Nitrofurantoin is still not taking out the complete sting. Makes me instantly drowsy- almost like a sleep aid. Had some mild stomach issues but could be attributed to period.

December 19, 2011 12:17 PM

Review by DarthYemmyVader:

For Prevention of Bladder infection: I take this antibiotic after intercourse and I have not experienced an infection since! Highly recommend this to anyone that has recurring urinary tract infections. Be sure to eat before you take and do not take with alcohol.

December 19, 2011 2:26 AM

For Prevention of Bladder infection: Ever since I was a child, I have had recurring urinary tract infections that only became more frequent as I grew older. I was having 4-12 UTI's a year and was treated for 8 kidney infections, three of which required hospitalization. Nitrofurantoin has made a huge difference in my life. One 50mg pill a day and I have not had a single UTI in over 5 years.

December 12, 2011 1:32 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I just finished a round of nitrofurantoin and had the worst symptoms of fever, chills, insomnia, bloating, and headaches. I eventually had to go to the ER and was subscribed another antibiotic. It is working fine.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2011 12:09 PM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I had a severe reaction to this medication. Chills, very high fever, bright redness on both legs from ankles to knees and red blotches on upper legs. Also, red blotches and hives on both arms. Fatigue.

November 15, 2011 9:54 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I experienced nausea, a headache, and for the first time in my life, (I'm 21) I had trouble breathing, it was pretty scary. I only had 1 dose.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2011 7:18 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I have been on this medication for 5 days now, for a possible UTI my Doctor diagnosed. It makes me feel terrible, like depressed. On top of it, it gives me insomnia. I was trying to find out on these reviews if anybody experiences insomnia too.

October 12, 2011 9:38 AM

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: I started taking this medicine two days ago. I've been nauseous starting yesterday, and started being fatigued starting today. I don't have many choices for antibiotics, and this one works.

October 7, 2011 3:33 PM