User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 4)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 30 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 254 reviews 182 medications

Bladder Infection 140 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 424 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Macrobid has always helped me I have had many bladder infections..I am amazed how many people do not know of the miracle the medication Pyridium is to release bladder pain also I don't know why doctors don't recommend it...but please do know pyridium will not cure but mask the infraction release pain in about 20 min worked for me as needed for over 30 years. "

Good news January 10, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I had a UTI right after the holidays, I thought too much sugar maybe was contributor. I was given Nitrofurantoin which is Macrobid is what they told me . I was supposed to take it for 3 days at 1 tablet twice a day. I brought it home , and I was scared to take it because I hate antibiotics, I took it for two days, the third day my husband rushed me to the Emergency Dept, I got checked for everything The ER doctor said, that my dizziness, vomiting , fatigue, eye pain. really swollen nodes, light sensitivity, and killer migraine were a side effects of this medicine! I was sick for five days after praying that I wouldn't die...when I read it can make you go blind suddenly, that was it. NO MDs for me , I only go to Chinese med./naturopathic doc end of story."

JJoyous January 10, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Doctor prescribed this antibiotic for me for my UTI, I must say it did take away my UTI painful urination very quickly but after a day of taking it I felt like I had the flu. I was shaking, freezing, very nauseous, bloated, had back pain and extreme gas.I actually thought I was dying. It backed me up so bad I couldnt make a bowel movement for 4 days and had to take a laxative to get everything out of me which made me feel worse. I still have 2 days left of taking it but I think I'm stopping today because I'm in so much pain from this antibiotic. If your doctor prescribes this to you, ask for something else because its god awful."

Angie Eckerstrom (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I took macrobid for two and half days felt sick. Plus I'm scared of anything that poses a risk of side effects that are mile and half long. Macrobid made me so sick that I ended up at the ER with swollen lymph nodes ,stiff neck, nausea migraine that caused eye pain, vomiting, chill I felt poisoned . My sister wanted to stay with us because she was so worried about me. I was sick for three days in bed . Never , ever again I'm only seeing nautropathic doctors and chinese medicine doc unless it is life or death"

1Grace007 January 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took this for a bladder and kidney infection for 7 days, cleared up my infection and offered instant relief after 1 day. I am normally prone to gastro problems with antibiotics but didn't have any problems with thus one. The only side effect was it affected my sleep, after a few hours I'd wake up and couldn't get back to sleep every night while taking it. Also had anxiety dreams which I don't normally have."

Ronnie94 January 7, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "One more day! I hope the infection don't come back, because This antibiotic make me feel so sick, now I'm noticing vaginal discharge, I don't like it at all but Is a side effect, One more day!"

Angiels (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Fever chills fatigue headache pounding heartbeat chest pains and ached all over- I will never take this again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI yesterday afternoon. I took my 1st dose of Nitrofurantoin 100mg twice a day for 10 days this morning at 9 a.m with toast and water. By 11 a.m. I felt really nauseous and dizzy then by 12 I was doubled over in pain from cramping in my belly and pain in my back. I finally am able to eat again at 6:30 p.m. but now I'm terrified to take a second dose at 9 tonight. Its obviously working because my UTI symptoms are gone but I feel like crap just after 1 ."

Heathermay16 January 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I used to have recurrent UTIs (up to 10 a year), and usually I took ciprofloxacin, which almost always gave me yeast infections and an upset stomach. This medication takes longer to cure the UTI, but it hasn't given me side effects. Beware of what everyone says about lung failure though :/ I'm taking a 100mg pill after sex nowadays, when I have more experience with it will share with you"

Martina_yp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I had a stubborn UTI that was unresponsive to Cipro and starting to show signs of a kidney infection. This drug was a miracle worker. Within 48 hours I finally felt relief after a long, horrible wait of dealing with intense bladder pressure. I ate heavy meals with each pill, did not experience nausea or other GI issues. I was however tired ALL 7 days of this pill. I slept so much, I mean seriously this pill knocked me out. So that is frustrating, but will take fatigue any day over GI symptoms and at the point I started taking this drug I was willing to try anything to get rid of this infection. I was SO miserable. I just finished my last pill and noticed a dry cough with shortness of breath, so that's why I gave it an 8."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine to treat a UTI. Although it did cure the UTI, this drug made me so nauseous that I threw up for a week straight. It also made me extremely fatigued. If you have to take this drug, make sure to take it with plenty of food (and avoid food about two hours after taking it). Hope this helps!"

A Bit Iffy December 31, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After my UTI reoccurred, my doctor prscbd me Macrobid. I took the new antibiotics about 9 days after completing the Cipro antibiotics and I felt better after the 3rd day of using the pills. I did have neon urine which was typical. There was a drastic change with my sleeping pattern, all I wanted to do was sleep. Fatigue was a side effect. I woke up to a headache/unsettled stomach (ate a heavy meal w/ pill) a few times. Now 7 days in, my old symptoms are back up. I didn't drink as much H20 the first few days, but I've since amped the amount of water I intake. I also bought Cranberry pills to hopefully help clear it up. Don't feel like throwing out more cash or another doctors visit."

EV2EB (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Have been prescribed this for 3 days, twice a day. Have taken my second tablet and feeling quite tired but the benefits seem to be outweighing the negatives. I can finally urinate properly and am not in constant agony. I was given this pill as the previous antibiotic didn't work fully. Note this medicine does affect the contraceptive pill so give your body time to get it out of your system before being sexually active or use another method of contraception."

BambiRaptors (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Started taking this medication this morning with the only UTI related side effect being fever and fatigue. Now since taking two doses of Nitrofurantoin, I have excruciating shoulder and neck pain. In case a UTI wasn't uncomfortable enough by itself, now as much as I want to sleep, I can't even lay down without constant muscle pain. I will be contacting my primary care doctor in the morning to send in another prescription because this is unbearable."

Unimportance December 30, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I tried this for a UTI, got sharp pains behind my ribs that come and go all the time. Stopped taking it after two or three days and my UTI came right back. Now on bactrim and have the WORST head aches all day long."

Emmy4559 December 29, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "I do not take any form medication and am not allergic to anything at all, but prescribed this drug for a UTI, 4 x100 mg for 7 days. After taking the tablets for 2 days the headaches started along with a intolerance to light, then I started to feel like I was having flu like symptoms, chilly with aching joints. I felt lethargic and began to feel quite weak, with a feeling of not being able to focus properly and feeling dizzy. So much so I did not feel comfortable to drive Spoke to my doctor and said I would not take any more (I was up to 5 days by then). The symptoms of my UTI are still there and going back for another antibiotic, will never take this drug again."

The explorer (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I suffer with painful bladder syndrome and this medicine I've taken to help prevent me from getting water infections due to the nature of having PBS. I have had water infections while being on this still so was really disappointed and has hit hard. In my experience I don't think these are good for preventing water infections for my individual case."

Lunacat December 26, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Worst antibiotic ever! Slept almost non-stop for days. Could not eat/nausea. Severe chills. Extreme pain in neck,shoulder knees,(anywhere that I had minor arthritis). Throat closed up and could barely breathe. Lungs became congested. Very scary.The side effects were the worst of all antibiotics that I have ever taken. I will never take these again."

dlaett (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I had an extremely painful bladder infection and this medication worked by day 3. ...........I'm on day 6 now, one more day to go, The only side effect I had was feeling tired and achey but I slept more which helped. Also extreme anxiety from reading the scary reviews on here lol. This medicine saved me from a kidney infection."

deedeeking (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I tried taking this medicine twice. Both times I could only get to the second or third dose before being affected. It does cure the UTI however, I awoke with a terrible headache and a weird sensation in my eyes. By the second dose this weird sick feeling increased so much that I can only describe it as a poisoned feeling. As I have never been allergic or sensitive to anything I stupidly tryed it again. Same result."

Mary Ann K December 23, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Please read!!! Presccribed macrobid 100mg for bladder infection. Took the first dose at 5pm after a full meal (on the advise of my Dr who warned slight stomach irritation) around 2 am I woke up vomitting yellow bile which lasted for several hours. I was shaking and sweating and couldn't even keep water down. I'm on my 4th dose and symptoms are subsiding..I feel like I'm going to vomit, have a headache and am extremely dizzy. Please be careful when taking this its like a flu in pill form!"

Am1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My mother took it for UTI. after the fouth dose, she had shaking chills, fever, chest pain and upper back pain. I am not sure whether this is caused by UTI itself or from the medication, hope that she recovers"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa December 23, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been prescribed a course for 4 days of this antibiotic. Took 3 doses yesterday and felt a little off but manageable. However, today I have felt horrendous. Dizzy to the point of nearly passing out. Hot and cold chills. So tired it's untrue and general scariness to go to sleep because if feeling so bad. Awful medication."

Cazlarr December 22, 2015

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I read the side effects before taking this medicine, which you should probably never do, but I decided to give it a try anyways. Took one dose and was fine, after the next dose I started feeling not good. Got the chills and a slight fever, and made my already existing anxiety worse. It did however, make the urinary symptoms subside. However, when my original urinary culture returned, no bacteria was found??? needless to say, because of the side effects, I stopped after two doses."

hayck December 20, 2015

For Bladder Infection: "Very bad medicine I can hardly open my eyes and the headache didn't stop since day one!"

Anonymous December 18, 2015