User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Acne 55 reviews 518 medications

Prostatitis 5 reviews 42 medications

2.2
Summary of Bactrim reviews 189 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Bactrim

For Acne "I tried almost every topical an acne sufferer can get from drug stores, from natural to other kinds of drugs for acne, but none ever worked. My acne is moderate to severe type of acne. I am not saying that this medicine will work for you same way it does for me, but you should consider it when you talk to your Doctor. I've been taking this medicine for over a year now and I can't be any more clearer. I used to get tiny whiteheads all over my face, like when I try to pinch my skin, you can squeeze them out like small pieces of oil that became oxidized and yellow. Before I got this medicine, almost every day of my life I'd have to deal with new bumps just after one healed. My face is scarred, but this is the best one I have tried ever."

Leonardel February 8, 2016

For Bronchitis "My doctors would always give me amoxicillin. It never did anything. I use to have a bad bronchitis every winter. I had one that lasted months. My sputum turned deep brown, my middle ears were so infected I could barely hear. And I was not a smoker then. I called my ENT office off hours. I got another doctor on the call. He was older and very thorough in trying to diagnose over the phone. He said lets try a real old drug. It was Sulfa not the combo Bactrim. He called the pharmacy. A friend picked it up. the pil was huge. I broke it in three pieces to get down with lots of water. Tthe next day was like a miracle, I felt so much better. It seems Sulfa is all around gold standard antibiotic for me for any infection"

ymous_anon January 21, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Made me very sick"

Tee Lee (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am in my second uti this month. I went to the doctor the first time and was prescribed macrobid and my uti came back in two weeks. Now I'm on Bactrim and it seems to work really well minus the headaches. I like it the a lot better and I feel like it's actually gone now"

Red93 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim for a very painful UTI that I could not flush out naturally with water and cranberry. My UTI pain subsided after about 5 hours of the first dose of Bactrim which is great. However, the side effects are not so pleasant. I have had chills, mild diarrhea, vivid nightmares/dreams and extreme migraines. I am on day 3 of a 7 day prescription, but I am contemplating stopping after day 4 or 5 if the side effects continue. The side effects are still not as bad as the UTI pain!"

Anonymous December 16, 2015

For Acne "Didn't do anything for me. I still have severe acne like always. It's been 2 years but no fix. Tried doxycycline, minocycline and this. None of them ever worked. I also have super oily skin and this medicine doesn't fix that. It only kills the bacteria, which in my case is not a big problem. Oily skin is giving me acne. Plus I was applying erythromycin 2% on face. Nothing happened. Took it for a month. Finally going on Accutane soon. It was the last resort for me."

Omairali December 15, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I have just recently got out a living environment with a bunch of roomates, I found a small pimple under my arm and thought nothing of it, after a week it was so swollen and hot to touch I went to the ER. The doctor didn't want to cut the "pimple" open but I begged him to because of the pain-and he was glad he did...the amount of bacteria that came out was astonishing! He put me on bactrim and even though I had some side effects it went away.....but then I got another abcess on my head about 2 months later....took bactrim it went away....then 2 months after that i got another abcess on my finger....took bactrim it when away.....now i once again have 3 abscesses under my armpit and am currently on bactrim again! 4 months later!"

Nikki62382 December 12, 2015

For Acne "During college, as an athlete, I experienced a surprise acne issue. But it was relentless in college, never anything serious, but enough to frustrate me. I was prescribed bactrim my junior year and had unbelievable results. It cleared within weeks and if by chance, I ever broke out, the break outs were so minimal and healed so quick. I stayed on it for about a year and then came off of it because I had no more problems. My face stayed pretty good, here and there during the time of the month, but that was it. I just went back on it,a year and a half later, due to frustrating break outs around my chin. Again, nothing serious but I know that Bactrim works so why not! 2 weeks later, clear skin!! TRY IT"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2015

For Sinusitis "Yeah, did this for seven days. Just got out of the hospital after a full body rash (including feet, hands a face, required them to put me on iv antibiotics for two days). Fun times"

In hell (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

For Kidney Infections "Really effective, but really terrible side-effects. UTI and kidney infection both cleared up quickly, which I'm grateful for, and ultimately that's the point. But I had nausea and vomiting, dizziness, diarrhea, joint aches, itchy skin, sore throat, loss of appetite... I felt way better with the infection than I did on the medication. But it's all temporary."

SarahES (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2015

For Kidney Infections "Please don't let anyone scare you into not taking this. If you're like me with new medicine, you go online and research every little side effect and review and convince yourself not to take it. I was really scared to take this as I had bad reactions to Macrobid and Ciprofloxacin, and after reading these reviews I just knew it was going to be the same way. I'm on day two, no side effects other than a little nausea and a headache. That's the worst of it. We'll see how it goes by day 7, but so far this has been the best antibiotic I've taken."

Lisaxx22 November 24, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I have a small either cyst or some type of mass on back of neck under skin. Doctor said it could be due to some type of staph. He prescribed me Bactrim aka as sulfameth.trimethoprim. He said two weeks to take this and if it does not go away we will need to Lance it. Which in a way I'm glad, it bothers me. Anyways I went to pharmacy to get my medicine and went home. I actually started the same day taking my pill. Friday Saturday and Sunday I felt ok. But come Monday about 3 am I got up and had diarrhea, multiple times I felt nauseous & achey . 7 am I felt it in my throat I vomited and after that I had a horrible headache. Can't eat, I feel as though my joints are stiff. Doc is changing my meds. No sulpha again !"

kandida (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I suffer with regular UTI's due to a chronic pelvic prolapse I can't get anyone to take seriously. Since having a hysterectomy and estrogen-suppression therapy for adjuvant therapy for cancer the UTI's have worsened. Bactrim does have side effects, but since I can't take Macrobid, I'm stuck with this or Cipro. I'm starting to think I'm developing a resistant strain of infection, but the Bactrim seems to take care of it."

IDunnoWho November 22, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took this for a UTI and I had horrible side effects. I could not sleep, extremely dizzy and nauseated, constipated, and had bad indigestion. I lost my appetite and was vomiting acid."

-A November 16, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took Bactrim and I had no side effects. Bactrim worked for me. It definitely took the burning feeling away..... Also the cloudy and different smelling urine left."

Che rol (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim for a skin infection and took one pill. Within less than an hour I was vomiting, shaking, sweating, and had severe diarrhea. I was literally unable to do anything but lay in bed with frequent bathroom trips for the next 24 hours. It was horrible. Never again."

Anonymous November 8, 2015

For Bronchitis "Couldn't walk had trouble breathing. No appetite felt worse than before I started taking it"

pammy jean October 30, 2015

For Acne "I am 20 years old and have been taking Bactrim since I was 14. Originally I started with a twice daily dose but have since decreased to half a pill every other day. It is not a perfect fix, as I still have to be attentive and wash my face twice a day and occasionally use an acne cream, but otherwise it works quite well. Before starting Bactrim I had moderate but painful acne, and I now only get small infrequent pimples. I am now a pharmacy student and thought I should warn people that extended use of any drug is dangerous. Also, Bactrim is NOT an antibiotic but is a synthetic sulfa drug meaning it is made from chemicals. Some people are severely allergic to sulfa drugs and should be cautious and talk to their doctor before taking this drug"

Aesthera October 16, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've taken my fair share of medications for UTIs and so far this one seemed to be the most effective as far as relieving symptoms quickly. My doctor prescribed me to take two pills a day for 10 days. I felt relief from UTI symptoms as soon as the 2nd or 3rd day. That being said, it has some nasty side effects. They say you can take it with or without food and I'm guessing that because it makes your stomach feel horrible either way. I've experienced diarrhea, painful gas and bloating, and nausea, since the first day of taking it. From my experience this can usually be expected with strong antibiotics. My advice would be to take a probiotic to help counterbalance! I've done it before and it helps me."

krs1993 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2015

For Acne "While using Bactrim my acne cleared up very well and I was very happy. Unfortunately after a month I found out I was allergic to sulfa so I can't take it anymore. Sucks because it was the first thing I took that actually worked! Just my luck."

Natalie j September 26, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I always talk to the pharmacist and educate myself take the time to do that ask your dr before taking the prescription why waste your money this medicine did not give me any side effects."

JUDGEKINGDOG (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Bactrim was the worst antibiotics I have taken. I was prescribed this medicine for a UTI from a the Dr and I took one pill before I went to bed and felt fine. It was like 4 am it when I got hit with a massive headache from hell. I could not sleep and then about 2 hours later around 6am. I started vomiting until all I could vomit out was my stomach acid. Horrible! That day I still had a bad headache and nauseous all day. I discontinued the pill and flushed them all down the toilet!"

joker12 September 16, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I mean it did its job but geeeez it makes me feel like a pile a poo about a half hour after I take it. I had to take it with pepto so I wouldn't puke it up. At least it worked after 3 days"

Lolokay September 3, 2015

For Acne "I've had cystic acne on/off for four years. It would come and go where my skin would be horrible my acne and cysts all over then clear up for a few months. I had a bad breakout and took Doryx which made my acne worse. I switched to bactrim and within 1 month, my breakouts stopped and my larger cysts were going down. About 3 months later, I'm off and my skin has remained clear (minus very small pimples here and there)."

MariaLeeee August 18, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took this medicine for 3 days and experienced severe nausea. Been off of it for 1 and I'm still experiencing it off and on. It feels horrible. I will never take this medicine again. I must be allergic to it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015