User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 35 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 307 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Review by Gwen019:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: The medicine worked SO well on my acne. Not even 10 days after beginning the prescription and my acne was already clearing up. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the Sulfa in the medicine and was rushed to the hospital because the reaction caused the platelet levels in my blood to drop to extremely dangerous levels. I'm still searching for a medicine that works like this one did without the sulfa in it.

February 20, 2015 10:09 PM

Review by shilonputty:

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: This medication has worked for me for so many yrs. when I take the 2nd. dose, I feel no pain while urinating! I recommend this "highly"!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2015 2:46 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Thank goodness I am not allergic to sulfa! This medication worked like a charm on my roseasa hormonal cystic acne on my chin. I am 48 years old and it took me way too long to discover this miracle! Coupled with clindamyicin my face was clear within days!

February 12, 2015 9:44 PM

Review by daisy's mom:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I have a large swollen infection believed to be staph infection. This medicine is working well but day 2 I am so nauseous even after taking Zofran 8mg I can not bare the thought of swallowing it or anything else. I've taken this before and did not get this effect. I have many other health issues at the time but I was shocked I reacted this way.

February 9, 2015 7:16 AM

Review by Telewit8530:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: I took this for four and a half days. I experienced complete appetite loss, nausea, fatigue, abdominal pain, and anxiety. I had blood work done before I took the Bactrim and when I got my results back it turned out I didn't have a bacterial infection at all. All that for nothing. I still haven't completely recovered my appetite and it has been almost a week since my last dose.

January 29, 2015 10:02 AM

Review by Aliceinthird:

For Kidney Infections: Was told to take for 14 days for a kidney infection, took for 7 and infection cleared. Doc said to keep taking then but they made my heart beat fast around day 11 so I've stopped

January 20, 2015 1:01 PM

Review by hfriedlund (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: The pressure in my head is gone but I have been getting extreme nausea and fatigue since I started it 5 days ago.

January 16, 2015 4:20 PM

Review by Superstar11111:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Something really bad happened to me 14 years ago that caused trauma to the urinary tract. Ever since I have used Bactrim on a regular basis to flush out my bladder and urethra of bacteria because my body does not do a sufficient job through urination. If you take it on an empty stomach, it will make you feel really sick, but the medicine is awesome and I highly recommend it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 9:51 AM

Review by Hanc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: After 16 years of very severe acne I have finally perfect solution, cleared my face within 1 month. Love it, perfect!

January 4, 2015 11:16 PM

Review by patient 94:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: Did not work

January 4, 2015 3:59 PM

Review by Sykad (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I just recently experienced my first urinary tract infection. I was on Cipro for 3 days and I thought it cleared up. But symptoms got worse within a couple days after I had stopped the Cipro. I was then prescribed sulfa... After 45 minutes within taking this pill I got terrible cramps, to the point where I couldn't even sit in a certain position or drive myself home. The second time, same thing. I have yet to take my third dose, but I'm honestly scared and annoyed that I'm probably going to have to go through the cramping again. Although, I must admit, after the first pill I feel my UTI is gone, but just to be safe I'm going to take it for one more day. I didn't throw up or anything, I did experience nausea but I made mint tea and that calmed my stomach.

January 1, 2015 2:25 PM

Review by jjjjj29849857:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Bactrim worked miracles when I first started taking it. I was on it for almost 5 years, but it began to lose it's potency so I had to change. Overall, it helped a lot in clearing my acne. I did experience less of an appetite, but other than that it was a positive experience.

December 30, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by Elise91:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I had moderate to severe hormonal acne on my cheeks, and many breakouts on my chin and forehead as well. A combination of Aczone, Tazerac, and Bactrim (twice a day for about a month, then once a day, now I take it every other day) cleared up my skin almost completely. I rarely get any breakouts, and my skin is glowy. I think the Tazerac is most responsible for clearing up my scarring, so ask your doctor about that too. Bactrim was a lifesaver! SO happy I found it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by Rhiannoncat:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: For those that are experiencing headaches and nausea, drink a glass of milk before taking Bactrim. This always works for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 10:10 AM

Review by Sorbs (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: This made my very sick to my stomach. I couldn't even finish the bottle. I stopped the day before yesterday and still have severe nausea and insomnia. I just want to feel better!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 8:16 AM

Review by Stephbactrimuser:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I am a 40 something women with moderate hormonal acne. Did one round of Accutane with good results-but acne returned. Tried every other medicine and cream with no luck. Finally tried Bactrim and saw results in 2 DAYS! Been on it a week and have results better than Accutane.

December 16, 2014 9:17 PM

Review by khoffpauir (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I was put on this medicine for a skin infection. I was reluctant to start it because of all the horror stories in the Internet. It does make me nauseous and it gives me a slight headache. Advil and Benadryl help with those side effects. I'm on the fourth day and my infection is nearly cleared. I was also given a Bactroban skin cream and that stuff is great. A pleasant side effect has been my skin clearing. I had perfect skin up until I hit 25 and then suddenly I had cystic acne on one side of my face. I was reluctant to take anything because it wasn't that bad, but the Bactrim has pretty much cleared it up.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by Terry2:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: After 3 months fighting off Pneumonia followed by Bronchitis and then Sinusitis with a Middle Ear Infection, I am almost back to normal. 7 days of 1000mg a day of Amoxicillin did nothing. Next Levaquin got the pneumonia off the X-ray but I was still sick. Clavulin made things a bit better for my cough. Septra worked from the start and I have been taking it for 14 days.

December 10, 2014 4:03 PM

For Acne: I started this medication a week ago and I have already seen fantastic results! I went to the dermatologist thinking that she was going to put me on another medication that wouldn't work. I was pretty much hopeless. But within almost 3 days of being prescribed I saw my skin clearing! I know what it feels like to have no hope that your skin will get better, but this worked so well for me. I highly suggest it. So far I have no side effects. Loss of appetite is the only one I've noticed, which isn't bad at all.

November 25, 2014 6:54 AM

Review by Hartmaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Hands down, the very best medication I've ever been on. My horrific cystic acne and litchen complex completely cleared in 4 months. Mostly clear within 2 weeks. The rest was just getting the dark spots to fade and some steroid cream for the litchen/eczema I had that surrounded all my acne. I suffered for 18 years with acne and did Accutane 4 times and every other oral and topical medicine on the market. This is the only thing that really worked. I have no side effects whatsoever. It is the miracle cure that I wish my other dermatologists had recommended. I take one Bactrim DS once a day- doctor says I can continue indefinitely. I likely will. My skin is stunning for the first time since I've been 19. If others don't work try this!

November 16, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by L3:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Took this medication for my UTI and on the 3rd day it gave me a very bad yeast infection.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: My doctor put me on Sulfamethoxazole in hopes of clearing up a mild but reoccurring skin infection under my arms. I was instructed to take 2 pills per day for 2 weeks. My first, second and third day I felt okay, but the fourth - ninth day (today) I have felt very tired, shaky and dizzy. When I turn my head a certain way, or lay down, I feel as if I spun in a circle ten times, then stopped. I called today, and spoke with a nurse who assured me that I would have had the side effects the first or second day. Well, I know my body and I don't feel right. So today will be my last day on this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: It's currently 12:30am, and I'm wide awake on a school night typing this. I didn't exactly have all the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, but always have the urgency to pee. I went to urgent care, and the doctor prescribed me Bactrim. I've been on it for 3 days (today will be my 4th), and I have yet to see results. According to some of you, it doesn't start working until the 5th day, which still gives me hope since the doctor told me it would work within 2 days. What I have been seeing is nausea, diarrhea, shakiness, insomnia, extreme headaches, and loss of appetite. I really hope this works. The constant urge to pee pretty much ruins what little social life I have. Having to make constant trips to the bathroom doesn't fit well with football games.

October 13, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by LaCole:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I took Bactrim for a while now for bacteria of the hair follicles and it has helped a lot plus using dial soap. But every time I get boils it heals them. I don't have any side effects to the medicine. Every time I get this infection I have to take Bactrim because I can't take penicillin.

October 7, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by SmokyMtnWoman (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have reoccuring UTI's and have taken several different antibiotics for them. I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS. After taking the second pill, the aching, pain and soreness was almost gone. It works better for me than Cipro, but you should always have a urine culture to be sure which antibiotic is best for you. Fortunately, I haven't had any terrible side effects. The only side effect is feeling a bit fatiqued a few hours after taking Bactrim.

October 5, 2014 11:09 AM