User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 35 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 286 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: My doctor put me on Sulfamethoxazole in hopes of clearing up a mild but reoccurring skin infection under my arms. I was instructed to take 2 pills per day for 2 weeks. My first, second and third day I felt okay, but the fourth - ninth day (today) I have felt very tired, shaky and dizzy. When I turn my head a certain way, or lay down, I feel as if I spun in a circle ten times, then stopped. I called today, and spoke with a nurse who assured me that I would have had the side effects the first or second day. Well, I know my body and I don't feel right. So today will be my last day on this.

October 16, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: It's currently 12:30am, and I'm wide awake on a school night typing this. I didn't exactly have all the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, but always have the urgency to pee. I went to urgent care, and the doctor prescribed me Bactrim. I've been on it for 3 days (today will be my 4th), and I have yet to see results. According to some of you, it doesn't start working until the 5th day, which still gives me hope since the doctor told me it would work within 2 days. What I have been seeing is nausea, diarrhea, shakiness, insomnia, extreme headaches, and loss of appetite. I really hope this works. The constant urge to pee pretty much ruins what little social life I have. Having to make constant trips to the bathroom doesn't fit well with football games.

October 13, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by LaCole:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I took Bactrim for a while now for bacteria of the hair follicles and it has helped a lot plus using dial soap. But every time I get boils it heals them. I don't have any side effects to the medicine. Every time I get this infection I have to take Bactrim because I can't take penicillin.

October 7, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by SmokyMtnWoman (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have reoccuring UTI's and have taken several different antibiotics for them. I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS. After taking the second pill, the aching, pain and soreness was almost gone. It works better for me than Cipro, but you should always have a urine culture to be sure which antibiotic is best for you. Fortunately, I haven't had any terrible side effects. The only side effect is feeling a bit fatiqued a few hours after taking Bactrim.

October 5, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by Kathy Turner (taken for less than 1 month):

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Based on results of a urine culture, I was put on this medication. I have taken 4 pills. While at work today, my tongue was feeling like I just took a big bite of piping hot pizza. The burning feeling was quite intense and I had not eaten anything that might have caused this. I also had numbness of my lips. The last pill I took was at 7:30 am and I still have intense burning and a bit of numbness. I was puzzled and decided to look up side effects of this new medication because it was the only thing newly exposed to my body. Since these problems were listed in your side effects listing, I will immediately discontinue using it.

October 3, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by missjess90:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I am 24 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for the past year. I turned into a hermit. I tried a few things with my GP- changed my pill to Estelle- waited 3 months but nothing changed, it only worsened, tried many many many face washes, was prescribed Eryacne and doxycycline, which helped for a short period of time until it came back. I had had enough and decided to get a referral to a dermatologist- I wish I had done this sooner! He gave me Bactrim, which I was to take twice a day for 2 months as well as Epiduo gel. This combination was my saviour! I am now down to 1 tablet a day for another 2 months using Epiduo every second night. This is amazing and cleared up my acne but it does make you VERY sensitive to the sun.

September 30, 2014 10:53 AM

For Acne: I was on this about 2 years back. My acne was pretty bad. I would get it on my face, neck, back, and chest. This cleared EVERYTHING within 2 months. I ran out of prescriptions after about a year and around 5 months the acne came back even worse. I finally went back to the dermatologist a week ago and already it is showing a difference. It made my skin flawless before I'm sure it will do it again!

September 29, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by no name n:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Worked after one dose. High dose of 3 strong pills once only. But today I feel lightheaded, dizzy and low appetite.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by Mr. Happy (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I ended up with a urinary tract infection due to my diabetes. My PA prescribed Bactrim and I have not experienced any side effects. The burning and urge to urinate, but even after 2 days still feel like the bladder was not emptied. It is day 5 and I noticed some discoloration in urine in the morning hours. I take it that is due to some bleeding. It went back to clear yellow tonight. I am carefully completing the course of this medication and hope it works for others like it has for me. I feel great!

September 22, 2014 10:56 PM

Review by Hope90:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Cleared up the infection pretty fast but - 3rd day in and really faint, shakes and fast heart rate. Definitely not a good reaction to this.

September 18, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by Hilgy:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: Contacted MRSA and received Bactrim for 14 days and cleared. Three years later contacted cellulitus from a wound not taken care of by me. Bactrim took care of it. Dangerous conditions cured with Bactrim.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by LorbyLor:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Best antibiotic I've used. I've never had a problem. And it always get rid of the problem.

September 9, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by Jlynnie (taken for less than 1 month):

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I've taken Septra DS before (with no side effects), but for some reason this time it is different! It has given me severe insomnia!! Very odd and super frustrating. Also has caused me a lot of nausea but doctor prescribed Zofran (also known as the miracle medicine for nausea), so that's better. Also feel a bit "out of it" and lethargic. One last strange symptom it's causing me is "urinary hesitancy." Had no idea there was such a thing until I spoke to my dr about it. Hoping these symptoms resolve or I may need to switch medicines, as only half way through this 10-day treatment.

September 9, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Kash04:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I'm 27 & struggle with hormonal cystic acne. I have been on this medication for about 3 months now. Prior to Bactrim, I was taking minocycline. Minocycline worked great but I developed a resistance to it in July 2013. From July 2013 I tried doxycycline, then erythromycin. I struggled trying to find a solution with my Kaiser dermatologist until I went to another dermatologist in June 2014. June 2014, I tried Bactrim & it started clearing up my skin 3 days after using it. I was prescribed to take 1 pill twice daily. I take 1 in the morning & 1 at night. This medicine has saved me from depression, feeling dirty & ugly. I hope I don't develop a resistance to it. My skin is completely clear.

September 7, 2014 4:01 PM

Review by Maggibella:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I get UTI's all the time, they always give me this. Unfortunately with taking this medication I've gotten a lot of lower back pain, vomitting, and muscle weakness. It also takes a couple days for the pain to go away and the medicine to kick in. Thankfully, it clears up the UTI within 5/7 days.

September 4, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by Amy100987:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I love this. It is the ONLY thing that has ever cleared up my acne (face and body) completely. I've tried Proactiv, Retin-A, salicyclic acid products, benzoyl peroxide products, the sun, avoiding the sun, only skin-healthy foods, enough sleep, etc., etc. and nothing works long term consistently. Life is just miserable when you have to show a pimply face- you are perceived as ugly and not clean. I'll take the risks of too much antibiotic use over being treated poorly for my appearance.

August 23, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by Cass0285:

For Bacterial Skin Infection: The medicine seems to be working, but I feel gassy, feel sick, have back pains and loss of appetite. Had a headache for a couple of days but that went away. 5 more days until I'm done and I can't wait!

August 17, 2014 12:41 PM

Review by Neil A:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: Hello, have been taking this medicine for 5 days for Cellulitis that developed on my leg below the knee. I had waited 7 days prior to seeking treatment. First three days after getting an injection type not known, thick solution and needle and taking Bactrim and Cephalexin showed little signs of improvement, 4 days showed signs of reduced swelling, 5th day swelling all but gone, reduced redness and warmth at sight. 6th day redness reduced greatly and leg feels normal. However, Side effects extreme fatigue, nausea, dry mouth, overall ill feeling. Overall benefits out way side effects.

August 12, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by ms. too:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Taken this medicine for urinary tract infection. Pain stopped after taking medicine 1 day. Side effects on day 3 horrible. ..weakness, bad nausea, lightheaded, loss of appetite, and headache.

August 11, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by yasghahremani (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: Awful. Went to A E and was prescribed these. Ended up back in hospital a week later because these hadn't even touched me.

August 3, 2014 7:07 PM

Review by Former Sufferer in MN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Bactrim cleared my skin up in less than a week. I did forget to take it for a few days and it did come back, but cleared up right away as soon as I took it twice a day again.

August 1, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by anonnn:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Seemed to clear up my infection, but started feeling nauseous the next day. Steadily got worse each day. On the fourth day developed a severe headache but slept it off. Doctor instructed me to stop taking it. Experienced severely high blood pressure. Also made my abdominal muscles feel weak

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 5:07 PM

Review by Your Nickname (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Skin Infection: Took it for 10 days for a bacterial infection on my thumb. I had to fart a lot, but no other reactions.

July 31, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Sldrwfe (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: Usually clears up any infections but does sometimes cause extreme nausea and yeast infection.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 6:46 PM

Review by Mom of 14 year old girl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: My daughter started having acne in 5th grade. She had small sized acne on her back, upper arms and face. She was prescribed a topical Retin A lotion and a topical antibiotic. This combination worked until she was in 8th grade when her acne became more severe. She would not use her other meds sometimes because she said it wasn't working. During her routine physical she was prescribed this medicine and started to take it the same day. We saw improvement within the first 3 or 4 days. She's been taking for a just short of a month and the results for her are nothing short of a miracle. She still has some redness as her acne subsides but her skin no longer "angry" and the tone is improving each day. What a great way to start high school!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate