User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Acne 85 reviews 512 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 36 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 69 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 31 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 25 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 28 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 375 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Makes me extremely nauseated. Cannot tolerate it. Have had multiple UTI's and septra sometimes doesn't get rid of the infection all the way. Causes insomnia and almost confusion."

Mt.Lady August 23, 2015

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Cleared infection right away but had to stop medicine early because of all of the side effects I had from this. 4 days later,still having some of the effects. Not sure how long the effects will last,but I never want to feel this bad again"

cristi7294 August 19, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I've had cystic acne on/off for four years. It would come and go where my skin would be horrible my acne and cysts all over then clear up for a few months. I had a bad breakout and took Doryx which made my acne worse. I switched to bactrim and within 1 month, my breakouts stopped and my larger cysts were going down. About 3 months later, I'm off and my skin has remained clear (minus very small pimples here and there)."

MariaLeeee August 18, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm 21 years old with my first UTI. My symptoms started on Saturday (constant urge to go, lower abdominal pressure/cramps, and an extremely uncomfortable urge to continue voiding even after I was done, and dark yellow/brown urine) went to the doctor yesterday(Wednesday) and was prescribed a 7 day prescription to bactrim. My symptoms seemed to dissipate within hours (was still feeling them just not as severe) I've taken 3 doses and all my symptoms have stopped and I can have full voids. Not feeling any side effects From the medication, but glad to be feeling better. Urine was still sent in for a culture. Been drinking lots of cranberry juice and water at my doctors recommendation to "flush" everything out. Feel much better"

Apbeaeryl August 13, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Day 1. just took one pill in the evening and after 1-2 hours I had high fever, big big headaches like some one hit me with the bat. Lost of appetite. Day 2. Morning get really tired and headaches getting better. And took second pill in the evening. The big headaches came back and dizzy. Try to sleep as much as possible. Day 3 woke up still with headaches and nausea. Skin in my hand is peeling and developed diarrhea I won't continue the medicine due to much side effect. Much more I don't even remember."

Nui. Nina (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Infection Prophylaxis: "I was on it for 5 weeks to prevent infection on my mastectomy site while drains were in place. No infection but mild nausea in the mornings became all day and more intense after 4 weeks."

RaytoGO August 10, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Relieved UTI symptoms fast but after day 2 of taking pills two times a day I woke up in the middle of the night with a killer headache! Painkillers did not help one bit to relieve the migraine. Symptoms currently are migraine, nauseous, vomiting, neck and back stiffness, fever with chills, muscle aches, diarrhea and it hurts so bad to even move my eyes. I just may be allergic or "sensitive" to this antibiotic but even though my doctor said to keep taking it I don't know if it is worth it, especially if it will continue symptoms mentioned."

AMT2 August 7, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine for 3 days and experienced severe nausea. Been off of it for 1 and I'm still experiencing it off and on. It feels horrible. I will never take this medicine again. I must be allergic to it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I have been having skin infections on my breasts off and on for 6 yrs. Ever since I developed mastitis when I was breastfeeding. I've been given Bactrim DS each time and advised to use Neosporin CREAM, not ointment. I'm not sure if it works all that great. It DOES take care of the red, rashy looking inflammation surrounding the "boil"/"blister", but does not seem to even really touch the actual blister itself. Without medication it will take 3 - 4 weeks or so to heal, with meds it it takes 2 weeks. I think it has alot to do with the healing of the red rash part... so I continue to take it. The only side effect I have noticed is an almost unquenchable thirst. But, no nausea, insomnia or headaches for me."

Nicole in Tx (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2015

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this medication for a sinus/ear infection. Within a few days of taking it I could finally breathe and begin to hear again. But I had also developed severe nausea, migraines, and loss of appetite. I have also suffered bouts of extreme fatigue and dizziness that have led to me nearly passing out. And on top of all that I broke out in an awful red, itchy rash all over my chest, neck, and face. This medication is terrible. I have never reacted to anything this way."

Gabbyjr (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

For Acne: "This takes at least 6-8 week to kick in, but don't just rely on the tablets. Make sure you drink lots of water and good food. I've noticed cheese makes my acne really bad. I've taken these tablets 1 year now, they help to an extent but I get the bad side effects, for some reason they make me need the toilet 4/5 times during the night, makes me wonder if they are trying to help my bladder as that's what these tablets are for and my body is confused. Also get BAD headaches towards the end of the day, I'd say as severe as a migraine. So I'm now coming off them and going to a skin specialist instead. Not worth the headaches to me!"

sarahuk (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I am a 34 year mother of 7. I had perfectly clear skin other than an occasional around my time of the month. Until about 25 yrs. old around the birth of my 3rd child. I started experiencing terrible acne all over. On my upper and lower back, my chest, my face, I have white heads, black heads, deep painful cystic acne. Complete MISERY & JUDGEMENT. I have always had VERY oily skin since puberty.I have tried everything you can imagine...every lotion,potion, cream, wash, mask, scrub, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar. I was on doxy-cycline for a year w/ no results. I am on Bactrim for a sinus infection and have my fingers crossed it will work for my acne as well. If so I'll ask for a script. Anyone recommend a good product pimple or two"

Tasha Louise July 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Had acne forever, went through accutane which cleared it up for a good 2 years and the acne came back. Went back to the dermatologist and was prescribed bactrim. It didn't start working till a few weeks in but after that, I started noticing my face getting clearer. Unfortunately, taking bactrim for a long time isn't good for you for a long time so here I am starting back at square one, but it was the best few months I've in a while."

Filthydelphia July 11, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had a very long history of UTI's. I'm 15 & I usually have a really bad urgency to pee, bloody urine & unbearable burning in my bladder. My doctor usually describes Bactrim & say I take it @ 4pm I won't have anymore symptoms at maybe 6pm. BUT I do lose my appetite, & I feel bloated with bad cramps. I don't care just as long as it gets rid of the UTI."

Anonymous July 5, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Bactrim helped with my bladder infection symptoms, but I have had the worst headache for three days straight from it. It hurts so bad that I've been nauseous. I hope I never have to take this again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Broke me out in a horrendous rash (apparently I am allergic to sulfa drugs) and had to take a steroid for 5 days to get rid of it. And still had the UTI infection on top of it"

B765 July 4, 2015

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on the 5th day of my UTI. The pressure and bearing down while urinating is similar to labor pains. I'm out of state and visited an Urgent Care Center. The NP prescribed the generic Bactrim. I went back to the Urgent Care Center after 4 days and she gave me 3 more days of the SMZ -TMP DS. I told her my symptoms were the same as my initial visit. Promised that infection would clear with the additional pills in addition to AZO , an over the counter pill to relieve the pressure. It's now day 5 and I feel like I'm on day 1. This medication is doing NOTHING for me. It's Friday and I'm sure I will be visiting another Dr. on Monday. I just want to feel like myself again. "

Jrzgirl July 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Bactrim is absolutely amazing for acne.. I had seen 4 different dermatologists by the time I was 17. My face acne has been considered mild, but my acne on my back and chest is moderate to severe. They tried many oral and topical medications, creams/gels on me. Nothing worked. Then finally the last dermatologist I found, he prescribed me to Bactrim 160/800. I can't remember how long I was on it the first time before it kicked in and started working, but I was on it for 2-3 years with absolutely perfect skin. I recently got pregnant and had to stop taking it. My acne slowly came back. Now, I had my son a month ago. My acne is back and is awful. I was able to get prescribed Bactrim again 2 weeks ago (apparently it's safe while nursing). I'm still anxiously waiting for it to kick in.. But I have hope, and know it will. I highly recommend!!"

Youngeblondemommy July 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I'm 18 years old and have had terrible acne for almost five years. I tried every possible thing before being put on Bactrim. I have been on this medicine for a little less than a year. After trying every other medicine my primary doctor could prescribe she gave me this and it worked so well. I've never had a problem with side effects. I highly recommend this medicine if you haven't had luck finding a solution to getting rid of your acne."

BreannaS July 1, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THIS! I would not recommend this for acne. 4 weeks into the treatment I was sent to the hospital, with a very bad fever it became hard to breathe. A couple days after I came home from the hospital My whole body felt like pins and needles on the inside and itchy on the out! :( most horrible thing I've went through. honestly accutane was less of a pain than this. I'd take dry lips to pins and needles any day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Stupid rash all over to treat mild UTI symptoms. I'm stopping the medications because this rash is just getting worse."

Anonymous June 28, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed this almost 2 years ago for a skin infection but quit taking it after 3 days because of severe anxiety, indigestion, nausea, fatigue, dizzyness and who know what else. At the time I was dealing with panic attacks so when my current doctor prescribed it last week I decided, since I was feeling better, to give I one last effort. Days 1-2 were good. Skin was clearing and other than being tired I had no side effects. By day 3 I got a headache that was relentless, I was shakey, couldn't sleep at night but couldn't stay awake during the day, diarrhea started and I quit the medicine at my doctors advice. It's been over 48 hours since my last dose and i still feel like crap. My neck hurts, and I'm still feeling incredibly anxious."

Unsatisfied*** June 22, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Having acne for most of your teenage years into your early 20s is not fun. Being a 21 year old who went through Doxycycline and Minocycline, I thought I exhausted all of my options. I saw a few dermatologists who pushed Accutane down my throat. I said no. I went to my family doctor and I've been on Bactrim DS for over 6 months now and it is the best thing that has cleared up my acne. So powerful. I would highly recommend this medication."

Vin202020 June 21, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given a 10 day course of bactrim. I made through 2.5 days before going back to the doctor. I had severe diarrhea. I was going every 15 minutes and wasn't able to sleep. It seemed to help my uti symptoms, but I almost ended up in the hospital. Now I'm prescribed cipro when I get a uti."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015