User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 71 medications

Prostatitis 16 reviews 46 medications

3.6
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 486 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is day 2 taking this med. It makes me very queasy and very tired. The nausea and tiredness start about 30 minutes after I take one, and seem to last for 6 or 7 hours. I try to take it with food, but I don't have much appetite (not gonna be mad about that tho). The uti seems pretty much gone, but I'm also taking Azo."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Okay took it for a week and broke out in hives and then stopped and put on steroids and now have burning sensation on skin! I hope that. Other meds get out of body soon"

Cocbean May 25, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I started taking sulfamethoxazole on my third day of having a UTI for the second time in my life and the first two days I was taking cranberry pills and drinking tons of cranberry juice and water, so by the time I started the antibiotics I was almost already healed. The first day I took sulfamethoxazole I felt my heart racing all day and at night it continued and I couldn't sleep until 4. Same thing went on for the next few days except it got worse and I would just lay in bed with my heart racing until 6 in the morning. I stopped taking the antibiotics after 4 days because my UTI went away but my heart wouldn't stop racing and I ended up suffering from insomnia for about 2 weeks. It is because of this antibiotic bc I've never had this issue"

allyzick (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Never again, first 10'days macrobid. Still had infection. Put me on bactrim. I was so sick after day 5. I missed 7 days of work, I think 10 days was to much. Had loose poop, neasea every day, dizzy, loss 7 lbs in 7 days and the worst was the dry eyes and mouth. I felt like poo. I thought I would end up in hospital. It even made me depressed! Never again!"

myuti (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This was amazing! I had my first UTI this morning I had frequency and irritation after I urinated. I took Bactrum about an hour ago and I'm was in so much pain until a couple minutes age when the medicine kicked in! I feel so much relief and I have less urge to go! UTIs are terrible and I'm so sorry for everyone who has gotten one but I'm also glad that there is medication to treat it and that it works this fast!!!"

Lizzie12345 May 7, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Super bad reaction. TERRIBLE! High fever, loss of appetite, lethargy, brown urine, LIVER INFLAMATION. NO RASH. After 7 days on Bactrim DS, feeling beyond terrible, I did some internet research and suspected drug fever. Ceased taking. Went to my doctor who ran blood tests which confirmed my suspicions. Liver enzymes: AST/SGOT 335 H (mine) 14-36 (unit/L) (normal range) ALT/SGPT 581 H 9-52 (unit/L) Alk Phos 307 H 38-126 (unit/L) Levels started to go down after I stopped taking it; it took 3 months for levels to return to normal. A lot of information says you have a rash with drug reactions. I did NOT. My skin infection did clear up. It wasn't that bad to start with. I asked him for something topical. Was not my regular Doc who prescribed it. My Doc said it was overkill. Just because the guy's a doctor doesn't mean he is a good doctor! Be your own advocate. Another round of this crap--who knows! Sulfonamides are one of the drugs that can cause a severe reaction"

Graygirl8 May 7, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am the type of person who is sensitive to chemicals, smells, sounds, etc. I rarely need meds and recently had to take bactrim ds for five days due to a UTI. I was sooo nervous about taking it. I was convinced I would be allergic to it, or at least have side affects. Well, all that worrying was for nothing. I took it as prescribed for five days with no problem at all! I hope you do well on it too if you need it!"

Patun1a (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I gave it a 2 star rating. 1 star more than I planned and that's because it worked but too many side affects that were exasperating to deal with. It lowered my blood sugar and I was having to constantly combat the affects. Headaches, aches and pains, and lastly constipation. I didn't have a bm for 4 straight days. I usually have 1/day."

Gigi 2016 May 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had this medication about a month ago with no side effects. This time I have theeee worst nausea and headaches. I did take it on an empty stomach and I took excedrin. My birthday is in 1 week. And I can't drink while on it. It's my 21st btw"

Anonymous May 1, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I'm on this medication after developing staph infection in my C-section incision. I began feeling dizzy on day one. I've had some itching on my stomach, but not too terribly. Yesterday (day 6 of 10) I developed a headache. I still have said headache. I feel blurry visioned & dizzy all day. Extreme hunger too. Idk. My staph is healing & incision looks great now... But after suffering a SEVERE spinal headache following my surgery... A headache is the last thing I want to experience. 3 more days... Ugh. Is it effective for infection? Yes. Is it pleasant to endure? Nope."

crissym April 30, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "I was originally prescribed Cipro to treat my prostatitis. After 6 days Cipro proved ineffective for the particular bacteria I had. Switched to SMZ-TMP in addition to Flomax and already feel relief on day 2. SMZ-TMP was free at my local Publix. I would have given it a 10 if I wasn't taking it in combination with Flomax (which is also having positive results)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

For Traveler's Diarrhea: "I've had a stomach disorder for two months. After several trips to the doc someone finally gave me this. I have had no side effects other then breathing heavy a little. But it rid me of what ever bacteria I had causing severe intestinal pain and massively messed up bowels. This helped in the first day. I was exposed to stagnant water. But it does say not work for some people. I would say if you had negative effects stop taking it. But it does work in the right situation. I can't believe I can eat food again."

Dougarhia April 16, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I put my self on Bactrim thanks to the internet, 3 or 4 years hematuria,dr, say mild infection ok keflix.,Cipro.macrodantin.rucefin,not sure of spelling none worked. Bactrim seems to have nailed but will wait and see, took for 12 days no side effect at all. old school is better,than the new all all purpose meds , here's hoping"

wright 1 April 14, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim ds for 14 days twice a day. I was told to take with a probiotic as it could kill the good bacteria in my gut, so I did. The side effects were severe headache, and fatigue. After 5 days of taking this medication I got an allergic reaction, so I stopped the antibiotics. The reaction was a severe rash on my face, neck, and chest. It was bright red, hot, and itchy. A mild rash spread to the rest of my body. I was given other medication to help the the allergic reaction which helped after 4 days. The abscess did go down and eventually healed on its own."

Mayra A April 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had bad abdominal pain under my naval and sharp dull pains in my pelvic area for what seems a good week or so. Took a UTI test at home, and came back as a possible UTI. Called the doctor and she put me on Cipro, all in all. After the first day, I was having chest pains in my left side and in the middle that were constant and wouldn't go away. I switched from Cipro to Sulfamethoxazole, and all my symptoms from before taking any medication have gone away. Except I've been peeing a WHOLE lot, I've had a loss in appetite, and I have felt nauseous and bad headaches. Little to no back pain, unless the usual, sitting for too long."

Lexie O April 12, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Had cut my foot at a beach and was prescribed Bactrim, got the chills and chattering teeth, told to continue and next day had severe diahareea and vomiting at same time hospitalized for several days, body bloated to twice my normal size, near died, would never take a sulphur drug again especially Bactrim."

lolo28 April 11, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "Severe diarrhea, severe nausea and vomiting after 2 doses."

Susan C. April 10, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was given Bactrim for vestibulitis, and a sinus infection, and bronchitis. The medicine was hardly effective. I just finished it. While on it all of my symptoms got worse and I had severe headaches and neck stiffness and I was so tired all day. I tried dealing with the side effects because I wasn't sure if it was the medicine or just being sick. Went back to my doctor today and because I'm not better he switched me to azothromycin and gave me some steroids for my energy levels. This medicine was awful. By the 7th day I was smelling and tasting the medicine all day. Really, I could've dealt with the side effects if the medicine helped me but it did not."

Csmien April 6, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I could tell it was working within 24 hours of taking it. Just be sure to eat with every dose, it's hard on the stomach!"

Laynepecv April 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on my first day of this pill treating a uti...i got the worse migraine ever..took excedrin to rid the pain..i am still feeling abdominal discomfort but will continue this 5 day treatment..cipro worked for me many years ago...i should have used that"

Anonymous March 31, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "My daughter had a small red angry looking flea bite, or so we thought. We tried to draw it out with hot compress. NO go. Went to Urgent Care the next day. Was given Bacrim 800+160. That was a Saturday. Wound was 1 times worse the next day. Went to ER. Was told NOT to use hot compress but keep taking the Bactrim. Today is Tuesday. Taking this medication doesnt seem to be doing much. She is red, imflammed badly, full of nastyness and pain. Using crutches as this is on her lower leg. Seeing surgeon in 2 days because the infection is now to deep. She is in tons of pain. Thankfully there is no fever as of yet but infection is looking more and more like MRSA. Scary stuff on an 18 year old who is constantly keeping herself clean."

Still on the Fence on this one (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine."

Liz.Pag (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the ER for pain in my lower back & my stomach. The Dr said I had an UTI which I didn't think that was the case cause I didn't have the symptoms of a UTI. Anyways, I started using the pills (Antibiotics) & about an hour of using it I felt nauseas, dizzy & started vomiting,itch all over my body & also I lost my appetite. I throw the pills away, I don't recommend them at all. I never have been allergic to any medication in my life."

Luz M. March 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Worked after three does, but that is when the headache started. No relief from headache with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm going to ask dr. For different drug. Also seemed to get chapped lips, dry hands, and did get low blood sugar accompanied by sweating on third day on this medicine. UTI seems to be cured though."

Where's the john March 20, 2016

For Acne: "Only thing that works for my acne. I'm 99% clear now and much more confident. Life changing! Just be sure to eat healthy and take a probiotic every morning and evening."

Young Adult Man March 20, 2016