User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 36 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 85 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 346 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "this treatment is the best to kill any bacteria in your body I treat my urine tract infection,star taking the medication 5 pm by 9 pm was a relieve no pain at all and be able to urinate with out any discomfort always you have to fallow up all step after this treatment ,drink lots of water,very happy no upset stomach at all."

Gatito May 27, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Chills, sweats, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite"

kWAJT May 26, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I had to take this for a boil and it healed the boil and made it go down and kinda get a scab over it but the side effects are crazy you have diarrhea your head hurts all the time and I'm so tired all the time. I was prescribed the medicine for 7 days to take twice a day. Overall the medicine did its job but had side effects"

Dannyman (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I almost did not take this drug because of all the negative reviews but I am glad I did. I am 45 years old and I am African American. I am in pretty good health. I recently had a laparascopy by my gynecologist and developed swelling around the navel area. The doctor prescribed this antibiotic to me. I always read directions carefully before taking any medication and it says to always take with food. I took it as prescribed and had no side effects at all! I actually lost 11 pounds in 10 days! WOW! I needed to lose weight anyway I weighed 175 pounds and I am 5'9 now I am down to 164.5 pounds. My appetite had slightly decreased and it remains decreased since I stopped taking it which is good I use to get the munchies so it did something to my thought process when it comes to food. I encourage people to always research drugs before taking them but do not give a lot of weight on reviews and try the medication. You never know how it works until you take it and I am glad I did. It helped me both heal, lose weight and stopped my junk food cravings! I am happy with results!"

Marie20142015 May 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I am a 24 year old male and have semi oil skin. Never had acne until after high school around 20 years old so I guess you can call it adult acne. Anyway, I was dealing with cystic acne on my chin, cheeks, jawline and even some times on my nose. It was considered mild-moderate but still very uncomfortable coming from 20 years of a completely clear face. I would have anywhere from 6-8 decently sized cysts on my face at any given time. For almost 5 years I tried everything all sorts of washes and crap I read online which none worked. Finally went to a derm 3 months ago and got Bactrim 800-160 within a week my acne cleared and has been 99.9% gone ever since taking it twice a day every day."

TJRrrrrr May 20, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I suddenly got a 5 angry red boils on my chin...and the next day another 10. I knew I better see a Doc quickly. My Doc prescribed Keflex 500mg, and said that in 3-4 days, it should start working. But the boils kept spreading to my upper lip and cheeks. So, I got in touch with the Doc. He promptly changed the med to Bactrim 800/160, twice daily. With the second pill, I felt that the battle with the bacteria had changed. No more new boils were forming, and existing ones started becoming black instead the fiery red. The black boils are hard and not painful to the touch. Now, it is only 2 days out of the 10 day dosage, but I feel I am on the way to recovery. I don't know what caused this infection but I switched out my old razor blade."

Yograj (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed a 10 day course for cellulitis and after 5 days the infection cleared but I'm so nauseous, gassy and dizzy I had to stop. I feel so bad I'm borderline suicidal. It's an effective drug for sure but brutal on the GI tract. I pray this feeling goes away soon..."

Wd40oz May 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "This is the best medicine as it never ceases to response in extreme cases.and takes 4 weeks course to resolve the issue."

vishal gurgaon (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am barley able to WRITE THIS!!!... SOO ITCHY!! MY ENTIRE BODY IS COVERED IN GODDAMN RASHES THAT ARENT GOING AWAY AND ARE ITCHY AS HELL HEAD TO FING TOE..."

Chillic May 10, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "This medication did work for me but I was on it for about 3-4 months before my skin actually cleared up. Don't give up hope if you see no change in the first couple of months. I went from having moderate, hormonal acne mostly around the chin and jaw (but also would appear on other parts of the face) to having a perfectly clear and glowing complexion. I am also taking the OCP (and had been on it prior to starting on Bactrim)"

Cleared89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Started taking bactrim about 3 weeks ago. It cleared alot of my acne in the first and second week but i started to break out in the third week. Yesterday I noticed a bump on my neck just below the ear. Turns out its a swollen lymphnode and its the size of a golf ball. That same day I got a severe headache and today my neck is extremely stiff so I'm going to the ER in the morning. Bottom line is don't take it, the side effects probably aren't worth it just get a hold of accutane."

Chris7438 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I have used this medicine. For a stap bacterial infection. Normally 9 years ago it would work rapidly and in 10 days it would be completely gone. But it has come back several times through the years. Now with this last infection I'm having to take double the dose, every 12 hours and I notice it is been hard it to get rid of. I'm hoping I won't get this skin boil again because I'm afraid of the antibiotics are not working 100%. What other options are there to take? But the bactrim is been my saver, til now"

canada23 May 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed Bactrim by a walk in clinic. Shoulda known better. After 2 days, I experienced some awful side affects - chills, fevers, night sweats, insomnia, diarrhea, and migraines - for three days. I thought I was going to die. After I finished my prescription, I got this terrible head to toe rash that itches like crazy. My UTI is gone but it was not worth the rash and three days of near death. Does anyone know what I can do for this rash?"

Elle K (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this antibiotic after trying Cipro, which was too strong for me. After finishing the 4 days I was on them for, my UTI was still present. Some days it was even worse. This antibiotic didn't work to get rid of my infection, even though the doctor claimed my urine in the lab was responsive to it. Not to mention these pills gave me god awful headaches and insomnia. Overall it lessened the burning and stinging and smell, but didn't clear my infection."

Andreana33 May 1, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm having the worst gastrointestinal problems and I'm only on day 3/7. I have extremely constipated, I have gas and bloating and I have nausea right after I take the pill."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I had an abscess that had been draining for about 6-days without end and finally went to the ER and had it lanced and packed. The ER doctor prescribed Bactrim DS. After two days I become dizzy and nauseous and pretty much bed ridden. Based on the reviews here and other sites I have discontinued using the drug. (10-day dosage) The abscess has stopped draining seems to be doing okay after taking the meds for 5-days. Also the ER doctor failed to notice that my HBP med conflicts with this med. (Lisinopril) Next time I will do more research. Normally, I do but I felt so miserable, I assumed they knew better."

Big J in Bama (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Got a yeast infection. I'm in a lot of pain. And to top it off. I had an extreme allergic reaction. "

enge April 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is definitely my favourite medicine to treat urinary tract infections. I have a longstanding history with UTI's, one even sent me to the ER. The best part about this medicine is that it works quickly and feel relief within the first dose, which is great. I tried nitrofurantin once and absolutely hated it because of side effects & will stick with this. Luckily I've never experienced any negative side effects & I've taken with and without food. No nausea, nothing! It's definitely a hefty sized pill though."

CB1992 April 21, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I'm a teen with pretty bad acne. Within two weeks my skin had cleared up tremendously. Unfortunately, then I started getting red hives all over my body due to a allergic reaction."

teen girl April 20, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "While I was only on Bactrim for one week, I feel like it was an experience to share! In this week I did notice a difference in my skin and it was probably the best my face has ever looked. That being said, I developed allergy symptoms pretty quickly but did not make the connection right away. High fever and nausea for a few days before a full-body rash on the 8th day. I was taking two pills a day. Always watch for symptoms and consult the doctor. I would still recommend this medication to others as it appeared VERY promising at clearing up my moderate hormonal acne. If I could go on it again, I would."

Anonymous1220 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "At first, I found myself with more energy and simply lost my appetite, which didn't bother me. Then, the second day, I suffered nausea and vomiting. I discontinued the medicine on the second day, but the nausea and vomiting continue."

quickdigits (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I was suffering from acne since childhood.I tried Accutane but doesn't work for me.Tried any kind of drugs and creams prescribed by Dermatologist but nothing works.Recently I went to one dermatologist its Hospital Base clinic and she prescribed me Bactrim DS.I took it for a week and suddenly I just felt terrible I had severe fever and chills and after two days I noticed the rash all over my body I thought it's measles.but ouch! tachycardic,dehydration for just a week.When I visit my derma she said its Bactrim allergy.The bad thing is she has to send me to the Emergency. I was so happy at first because Bactrim cleared my acne in just a week but in the end it's horrible feeling that I almost dead."

Allendahaw (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Late September of 2014 I began to get hormonal cystic acne around my mouth, cheeks and chin. I tried a lot of different methods before finally reaching the end of my desperation. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed me bactrim. I have seen nothing but great results--better than I could have hoped for. I had read plenty of reviews about bactrim and read that many people started to see results within 3 months of use. I too saw major results within that time frame. Patience is the key when taking bactrim but from my experiences with it, I promise it will be what you're acne prone skin has been dreaming of!"

LoRrdd April 8, 2015

For Acne: "This drug has literally saved me, I was so low with my acne, I still have spots but no way as bad as before. I've been taking this 2 months, I didn't see results like all everyone else has said in a couple of days etc, I thought I'd stick to this and I'm glad I did, I think a couple more months of this my face will almost be clear. My acne scars are now my problem, I use Retin A but I'm on the Hunt for another treatment. I hope this continues to work for me and please try this, before the harsh drug accutane :)"

Carolinemightyfine April 7, 2015

For Acne: "This medicine really works. After trying multiple things and getting frustrated with seeing no results, this finally cleared my skin. It took me about 6 weeks (I'm on a three month dose), so it does take a bit of time. But stay consistent with the medicine and it does wonders. I'm so appreciative of this. Doxy did nothing. Tried new washes and all the home remedies I could find. Even though there are marks left on my face that I'm working to get rid of, my face is smooth and feels great again."

Clear at last (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015