User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 36 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 69 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 367 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I have been having skin infections on my breasts off and on for 6 yrs. Ever since I developed mastitis when I was breastfeeding. I've been given Bactrim DS each time and advised to use Neosporin CREAM, not ointment. I'm not sure if it works all that great. It DOES take care of the red, rashy looking inflammation surrounding the "boil"/"blister", but does not seem to even really touch the actual blister itself. Without medication it will take 3 - 4 weeks or so to heal, with meds it it takes 2 weeks. I think it has alot to do with the healing of the red rash part... so I continue to take it. The only side effect I have noticed is an almost unquenchable thirst. But, no nausea, insomnia or headaches for me."

Nicole in Tx (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2015

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this medication for a sinus/ear infection. Within a few days of taking it I could finally breathe and begin to hear again. But I had also developed severe nausea, migraines, and loss of appetite. I have also suffered bouts of extreme fatigue and dizziness that have led to me nearly passing out. And on top of all that I broke out in an awful red, itchy rash all over my chest, neck, and face. This medication is terrible. I have never reacted to anything this way."

Gabbyjr (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

For Acne: "This takes at least 6-8 week to kick in, but don't just rely on the tablets. Make sure you drink lots of water and good food. I've noticed cheese makes my acne really bad. I've taken these tablets 1 year now, they help to an extent but I get the bad side effects, for some reason they make me need the toilet 4/5 times during the night, makes me wonder if they are trying to help my bladder as that's what these tablets are for and my body is confused. Also get BAD headaches towards the end of the day, I'd say as severe as a migraine. So I'm now coming off them and going to a skin specialist instead. Not worth the headaches to me!"

sarahuk (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I am a 34 year mother of 7. I had perfectly clear skin other than an occasional around my time of the month. Until about 25 yrs. old around the birth of my 3rd child. I started experiencing terrible acne all over. On my upper and lower back, my chest, my face, I have white heads, black heads, deep painful cystic acne. Complete MISERY & JUDGEMENT. I have always had VERY oily skin since puberty.I have tried everything you can imagine...every lotion,potion, cream, wash, mask, scrub, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar. I was on doxy-cycline for a year w/ no results. I am on Bactrim for a sinus infection and have my fingers crossed it will work for my acne as well. If so I'll ask for a script. Anyone recommend a good product pimple or two"

Tasha Louise July 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Had acne forever, went through accutane which cleared it up for a good 2 years and the acne came back. Went back to the dermatologist and was prescribed bactrim. It didn't start working till a few weeks in but after that, I started noticing my face getting clearer. Unfortunately, taking bactrim for a long time isn't good for you for a long time so here I am starting back at square one, but it was the best few months I've in a while."

Filthydelphia July 11, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had a very long history of UTI's. I'm 15 & I usually have a really bad urgency to pee, bloody urine & unbearable burning in my bladder. My doctor usually describes Bactrim & say I take it @ 4pm I won't have anymore symptoms at maybe 6pm. BUT I do lose my appetite, & I feel bloated with bad cramps. I don't care just as long as it gets rid of the UTI."

Anonymous July 5, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Bactrim helped with my bladder infection symptoms, but I have had the worst headache for three days straight from it. It hurts so bad that I've been nauseous. I hope I never have to take this again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Broke me out in a horrendous rash (apparently I am allergic to sulfa drugs) and had to take a steroid for 5 days to get rid of it. And still had the UTI infection on top of it"

B765 July 4, 2015

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on the 5th day of my UTI. The pressure and bearing down while urinating is similar to labor pains. I'm out of state and visited an Urgent Care Center. The NP prescribed the generic Bactrim. I went back to the Urgent Care Center after 4 days and she gave me 3 more days of the SMZ -TMP DS. I told her my symptoms were the same as my initial visit. Promised that infection would clear with the additional pills in addition to AZO , an over the counter pill to relieve the pressure. It's now day 5 and I feel like I'm on day 1. This medication is doing NOTHING for me. It's Friday and I'm sure I will be visiting another Dr. on Monday. I just want to feel like myself again. "

Jrzgirl July 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Bactrim is absolutely amazing for acne.. I had seen 4 different dermatologists by the time I was 17. My face acne has been considered mild, but my acne on my back and chest is moderate to severe. They tried many oral and topical medications, creams/gels on me. Nothing worked. Then finally the last dermatologist I found, he prescribed me to Bactrim 160/800. I can't remember how long I was on it the first time before it kicked in and started working, but I was on it for 2-3 years with absolutely perfect skin. I recently got pregnant and had to stop taking it. My acne slowly came back. Now, I had my son a month ago. My acne is back and is awful. I was able to get prescribed Bactrim again 2 weeks ago (apparently it's safe while nursing). I'm still anxiously waiting for it to kick in.. But I have hope, and know it will. I highly recommend!!"

Youngeblondemommy July 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I'm 18 years old and have had terrible acne for almost five years. I tried every possible thing before being put on Bactrim. I have been on this medicine for a little less than a year. After trying every other medicine my primary doctor could prescribe she gave me this and it worked so well. I've never had a problem with side effects. I highly recommend this medicine if you haven't had luck finding a solution to getting rid of your acne."

BreannaS July 1, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THIS! I would not recommend this for acne. 4 weeks into the treatment I was sent to the hospital, with a very bad fever it became hard to breathe. A couple days after I came home from the hospital My whole body felt like pins and needles on the inside and itchy on the out! :( most horrible thing I've went through. honestly accutane was less of a pain than this. I'd take dry lips to pins and needles any day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Stupid rash all over to treat mild UTI symptoms. I'm stopping the medications because this rash is just getting worse."

Anonymous June 28, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed this almost 2 years ago for a skin infection but quit taking it after 3 days because of severe anxiety, indigestion, nausea, fatigue, dizzyness and who know what else. At the time I was dealing with panic attacks so when my current doctor prescribed it last week I decided, since I was feeling better, to give I one last effort. Days 1-2 were good. Skin was clearing and other than being tired I had no side effects. By day 3 I got a headache that was relentless, I was shakey, couldn't sleep at night but couldn't stay awake during the day, diarrhea started and I quit the medicine at my doctors advice. It's been over 48 hours since my last dose and i still feel like crap. My neck hurts, and I'm still feeling incredibly anxious."

Unsatisfied*** June 22, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Having acne for most of your teenage years into your early 20s is not fun. Being a 21 year old who went through Doxycycline and Minocycline, I thought I exhausted all of my options. I saw a few dermatologists who pushed Accutane down my throat. I said no. I went to my family doctor and I've been on Bactrim DS for over 6 months now and it is the best thing that has cleared up my acne. So powerful. I would highly recommend this medication."

Vin202020 June 21, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given a 10 day course of bactrim. I made through 2.5 days before going back to the doctor. I had severe diarrhea. I was going every 15 minutes and wasn't able to sleep. It seemed to help my uti symptoms, but I almost ended up in the hospital. Now I'm prescribed cipro when I get a uti."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was diagnosed with a staph infection and prescribed bactrim DS. It has not had any effect on the infection after five days. In fact it has gotten worse. It makes me shake and I can't seem to think straight."

nhappy June 12, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "Rushed to the ER because of unbearable flank pain. Doctor noticed a large amount of white blood cells in the urine, and prescribed Bactrim. The first two days I felt okay, nothing really improved. By the fifth day the back pain disappeared but the urge to pee was still present. Sixth day I got a high fever, headaches, body aches, and a rash. Felt like crap! Stopped taking it and side effects subsided. I'm severely allergic to Bactrim. Was prescribed Cipro, it works great!"

Anonymous June 6, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have had reoccurring uti's since I was about 16 so I've always taken bactrim and it has been very successful, I am currently taking bactrim as I woke this morning with a uti so bad it made my body sweat and shake. I can already feel some relief but I'm definitely going to keep taking it. Also try to get comfortable and not think about it so much the less you think about it the less it'll bother you. Good luck"

Mustangboss305 June 6, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "It would be a mission to complete 6 week of dosage but eventually it will provide relief but long duration is a problem. You feel depressed and gait disorder is also there..."

Tyagi convergys (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "this treatment is the best to kill any bacteria in your body I treat my urine tract infection,star taking the medication 5 pm by 9 pm was a relieve no pain at all and be able to urinate with out any discomfort always you have to fallow up all step after this treatment ,drink lots of water,very happy no upset stomach at all."

Gatito May 27, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Chills, sweats, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite"

kWAJT May 26, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I had to take this for a boil and it healed the boil and made it go down and kinda get a scab over it but the side effects are crazy you have diarrhea your head hurts all the time and I'm so tired all the time. I was prescribed the medicine for 7 days to take twice a day. Overall the medicine did its job but had side effects"

Dannyman (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I almost did not take this drug because of all the negative reviews but I am glad I did. I am 45 years old and I am African American. I am in pretty good health. I recently had a laparascopy by my gynecologist and developed swelling around the navel area. The doctor prescribed this antibiotic to me. I always read directions carefully before taking any medication and it says to always take with food. I took it as prescribed and had no side effects at all! I actually lost 11 pounds in 10 days! WOW! I needed to lose weight anyway I weighed 175 pounds and I am 5'9 now I am down to 164.5 pounds. My appetite had slightly decreased and it remains decreased since I stopped taking it which is good I use to get the munchies so it did something to my thought process when it comes to food. I encourage people to always research drugs before taking them but do not give a lot of weight on reviews and try the medication. You never know how it works until you take it and I am glad I did. It helped me both heal, lose weight and stopped my junk food cravings! I am happy with results!"

Marie20142015 May 24, 2015