User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 3 reviews 24 medications

Prostatitis 15 reviews 42 medications

3.2
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 449 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I tried almost every topical an acne sufferer can get from drug stores, from natural to other kinds of drugs for acne, but none ever worked. My acne is moderate to severe type of acne. I am not saying that this medicine will work for you same way it does for me, but you should consider it when you talk to your Doctor. I've been taking this medicine for over a year now and I can't be any more clearer. I used to get tiny whiteheads all over my face, like when I try to pinch my skin, you can squeeze them out like small pieces of oil that became oxidized and yellow. Before I got this medicine, almost every day of my life I'd have to deal with new bumps just after one healed. My face is scarred, but this is the best one I have tried ever."

Leonardel February 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've been on a vicious cycle of UTI and yeast infections since November and the past 2 weeks have been place on 3 different antibiotics. I woke up yesterday with bladder and back pain and was prescribed this medication. I've taken it twice now and my back pain is worse than ever."

Ellspow February 3, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been on bactrim for the last 3 days and on the fourth pill and its done nothing for me"

Karen Willerbee February 3, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the Dr and was prescribed Bactrim for a urinary tract infection. I initially took it on a empty stomach which was a mistake. Taking it with food, even crackers, prevents nausea, and most other side effects. I am on my 3rd full day of taking it and I have no relief from my symptoms. I'm waiting for my culture to come back and will call my Dr for something else if necessary."

MLongRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bronchitis: "My doctors would always give me amoxicillin. It never did anything. I use to have a bad bronchitis every winter. I had one that lasted months. My sputum turned deep brown, my middle ears were so infected I could barely hear. And I was not a smoker then. I called my ENT office off hours. I got another doctor on the call. He was older and very thorough in trying to diagnose over the phone. He said lets try a real old drug. It was Sulfa not the combo Bactrim. He called the pharmacy. A friend picked it up. the pil was huge. I broke it in three pieces to get down with lots of water. Tthe next day was like a miracle, I felt so much better. It seems Sulfa is all around gold standard antibiotic for me for any infection"

ymous_anon January 21, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "When I started this medication everything was absolutely fine for the 1st two days, no side effects and I thought all was good, then on the 3rd day, (4 pills) I woke very early with the worst stomach pain and diarrhoea, I also felt nauseous and dizzy, I went to work as I was well aware of the side effects and tried to soldier on, I made it till about 2pm, another bout of diarrhoea followed by extreme nausea, I called the doctor and now have an appointment to swap antibiotics, still feeling slight signs of the side effects but it's only been 24 hours so I'm guessing it's still passing, fingers crossed the new stuff works better"

Rich0987 January 20, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Made me very sick"

Tee Lee (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

For Acne: "I've been on this med for 2 weeks so far and will be continuing for about a month ...I have some bacterial acne since the birth of my second child :( and I couldn't handle it anymore !!) I feel so bad for all the people with bad experiences but I have to say I've had none...and I take the full dose twice a day I have had a wee headache a few times but nothing an advil didn't cure, so I guess use at your own risk? But working great for me personally"

Ta ta (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I%u2018m half way through the course of tablets for a UTI. Never again do I want to take this drug. Had migraines from hell every single day since starting the treatment. After a really bad migraine today, I got suspicious this antibiotic might be trigger. I don%u2018t know what to do. I don%u2018t want to take another day of it. Today I had to take 100 mg of sumatriptan to get rid of a migraine. I had a UTI a few months ago and a different doctor gave me another antibiotic that didn%u2018t give me the headaches from hell. But stopping antibiotics before you finish your course leads to antibiotics resistance. But since I had migraines 5 days in a row I%u2018m not going to take another tablet!"

Mimity (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Today is my second day on this RX to treat my uti. Urgency and burning come and go along with any other pain related to a UTI. I am experiencing dizziness and a very sore throat, which is very uncomfortable, I think this drug is ok for treating UTI's."

Jusaly December 30, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Knocked UTI symptoms out effectively after the first 24 hours. However, the side effects were not pleasant and were very noticeable: headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headed, weakness, sweating, dry mouth, excessive thirst, tiredness. I'm on day 3 and have asked the doc to switch me to something else so I can function better at home and work. Trying Cipro. Be sure to drink water constantly when on Bactrim DS."

sparriott (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was on cipro for a week but no relief so my doctor switched me to this drug. Felt relief within 72 hours. I had extreme nausea and a headache the first day I took this drug but then I started to take it with meals and I haven't had those side effects."

Anon22222 December 27, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I started taking this medicine for a UTI that was awful. This is my first UTI and I'm 18. I'm on day 3 now and it seems like the side effects from the pills are way worse than the actual UTI. I'm reading all the other reviews and the medicine has made me nauseous but it's also giving me really bad abdominal pain and sharp pain in my ribs along with feeling really dizzy and hot( especially at work) hoping It doesn't get worse as I take it"

Nonamefemale December 22, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am in my second uti this month. I went to the doctor the first time and was prescribed macrobid and my uti came back in two weeks. Now I'm on Bactrim and it seems to work really well minus the headaches. I like it the a lot better and I feel like it's actually gone now"

Red93 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for folliculitis. It did nothing except make me tired and gave me a yeast infection. Trying Keflex now and hoping for better results."

Netsirk (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim for a very painful UTI that I could not flush out naturally with water and cranberry. My UTI pain subsided after about 5 hours of the first dose of Bactrim which is great. However, the side effects are not so pleasant. I have had chills, mild diarrhea, vivid nightmares/dreams and extreme migraines. I am on day 3 of a 7 day prescription, but I am contemplating stopping after day 4 or 5 if the side effects continue. The side effects are still not as bad as the UTI pain!"

Anonymous December 16, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Didn't do anything for me. I still have severe acne like always. It's been 2 years but no fix. Tried doxycycline, minocycline and this. None of them ever worked. I also have super oily skin and this medicine doesn't fix that. It only kills the bacteria, which in my case is not a big problem. Oily skin is giving me acne. Plus I was applying erythromycin 2% on face. Nothing happened. Took it for a month. Finally going on Accutane soon. It was the last resort for me."

Omairali December 15, 2015

For Acne: "This combination of antibiotics changed my life. Amazing is an understatement. It's not good for your liver to take it for more than 6 months continuously. So I've been on-and-off of it for 4 years now. It's the only antibiotic that cleared my face from acne. It changed my life. I hope it does the same for you."

GraceDNA December 14, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "On this drug now and I feel awful! Was seriously considering going to ER. I have extreme nausea, tingling in my hands, dizziness, stomach pain, sore throat and my eyes are red and dry. I will never take this again for a UTI."

Hate this medicine December 13, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I have just recently got out a living environment with a bunch of roomates, I found a small pimple under my arm and thought nothing of it, after a week it was so swollen and hot to touch I went to the ER. The doctor didn't want to cut the "pimple" open but I begged him to because of the pain-and he was glad he did...the amount of bacteria that came out was astonishing! He put me on bactrim and even though I had some side effects it went away.....but then I got another abcess on my head about 2 months later....took bactrim it went away....then 2 months after that i got another abcess on my finger....took bactrim it when away.....now i once again have 3 abscesses under my armpit and am currently on bactrim again! 4 months later!"

Nikki62382 December 12, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "During college, as an athlete, I experienced a surprise acne issue. But it was relentless in college, never anything serious, but enough to frustrate me. I was prescribed bactrim my junior year and had unbelievable results. It cleared within weeks and if by chance, I ever broke out, the break outs were so minimal and healed so quick. I stayed on it for about a year and then came off of it because I had no more problems. My face stayed pretty good, here and there during the time of the month, but that was it. I just went back on it,a year and a half later, due to frustrating break outs around my chin. Again, nothing serious but I know that Bactrim works so why not! 2 weeks later, clear skin!! TRY IT"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2015

For Acne: "I'm 18 and I've had acne for since I was 13. I have had various different treatments starting with the cream duac then when I needed my prescription renewing they said the demand was too high so I couldn't use it anymore but they prescribed me epi-duo. I was severely allergic with rashes all over my back face and chest this is when the put me on tetrysal/ lymisyclne (sorry about spelling) and was on that for 18 months and then that stopped working I went to go and see another dermatologist were they prescribed me with doxycyline so I tried that. no luck so they have now prescribed me this (3 tablets twice a day) and I have just started them yesterday I hope they work as it has severely effected my self- esteem."

_.Abbie_._._. December 7, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "Yeah, did this for seven days. Just got out of the hospital after a full body rash (including feet, hands a face, required them to put me on iv antibiotics for two days). Fun times"

In hell (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I only took it for a day before I was bringing up acid and blood"

Lol12344 December 2, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had bloody urine, started this drug for bacterial infection, day 2 on drug. I take Kefir (yoghurt drink probiotic) and also a supplement called D-Mannose to help clear out bacteria from urinary tract. Can not take Cipro (tendon and joint pain lasting a year after) and allergic to many antibiotics. Having problem urinating now, 3 days to go. I have fewer side effects taking probiotics during and months after. New reports say women need lower doses of all meds, and over 60 need lower doses. As female over 60 would have broken pills in half (without doctor's ok) but could not get them to break. Urine has cleared up already - usually call pharmacist for info on problems."

Lassie49 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2015