User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 36 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 69 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 356 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THIS! I would not recommend this for acne. 4 weeks into the treatment I was sent to the hospital, with a very bad fever it became hard to breathe. A couple days after I came home from the hospital My whole body felt like pins and needles on the inside and itchy on the out! :( most horrible thing I've went through. honestly accutane was less of a pain than this. I'd take dry lips to pins and needles any day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Stupid rash all over to treat mild UTI symptoms. I'm stopping the medications because this rash is just getting worse."

Anonymous June 28, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed this almost 2 years ago for a skin infection but quit taking it after 3 days because of severe anxiety, indigestion, nausea, fatigue, dizzyness and who know what else. At the time I was dealing with panic attacks so when my current doctor prescribed it last week I decided, since I was feeling better, to give I one last effort. Days 1-2 were good. Skin was clearing and other than being tired I had no side effects. By day 3 I got a headache that was relentless, I was shakey, couldn't sleep at night but couldn't stay awake during the day, diarrhea started and I quit the medicine at my doctors advice. It's been over 48 hours since my last dose and i still feel like crap. My neck hurts, and I'm still feeling incredibly anxious."

Unsatisfied*** June 22, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Having acne for most of your teenage years into your early 20s is not fun. Being a 21 year old who went through Doxycycline and Minocycline, I thought I exhausted all of my options. I saw a few dermatologists who pushed Accutane down my throat. I said no. I went to my family doctor and I've been on Bactrim DS for over 6 months now and it is the best thing that has cleared up my acne. So powerful. I would highly recommend this medication."

Vin202020 June 21, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given a 10 day course of bactrim. I made through 2.5 days before going back to the doctor. I had severe diarrhea. I was going every 15 minutes and wasn't able to sleep. It seemed to help my uti symptoms, but I almost ended up in the hospital. Now I'm prescribed cipro when I get a uti."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was diagnosed with a staph infection and prescribed bactrim DS. It has not had any effect on the infection after five days. In fact it has gotten worse. It makes me shake and I can't seem to think straight."

nhappy June 12, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "Rushed to the ER because of unbearable flank pain. Doctor noticed a large amount of white blood cells in the urine, and prescribed Bactrim. The first two days I felt okay, nothing really improved. By the fifth day the back pain disappeared but the urge to pee was still present. Sixth day I got a high fever, headaches, body aches, and a rash. Felt like crap! Stopped taking it and side effects subsided. I'm severely allergic to Bactrim. Was prescribed Cipro, it works great!"

Anonymous June 6, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have had reoccurring uti's since I was about 16 so I've always taken bactrim and it has been very successful, I am currently taking bactrim as I woke this morning with a uti so bad it made my body sweat and shake. I can already feel some relief but I'm definitely going to keep taking it. Also try to get comfortable and not think about it so much the less you think about it the less it'll bother you. Good luck"

Mustangboss305 June 6, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "It would be a mission to complete 6 week of dosage but eventually it will provide relief but long duration is a problem. You feel depressed and gait disorder is also there..."

Tyagi convergys (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "this treatment is the best to kill any bacteria in your body I treat my urine tract infection,star taking the medication 5 pm by 9 pm was a relieve no pain at all and be able to urinate with out any discomfort always you have to fallow up all step after this treatment ,drink lots of water,very happy no upset stomach at all."

Gatito May 27, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Chills, sweats, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite"

kWAJT May 26, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I had to take this for a boil and it healed the boil and made it go down and kinda get a scab over it but the side effects are crazy you have diarrhea your head hurts all the time and I'm so tired all the time. I was prescribed the medicine for 7 days to take twice a day. Overall the medicine did its job but had side effects"

Dannyman (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I almost did not take this drug because of all the negative reviews but I am glad I did. I am 45 years old and I am African American. I am in pretty good health. I recently had a laparascopy by my gynecologist and developed swelling around the navel area. The doctor prescribed this antibiotic to me. I always read directions carefully before taking any medication and it says to always take with food. I took it as prescribed and had no side effects at all! I actually lost 11 pounds in 10 days! WOW! I needed to lose weight anyway I weighed 175 pounds and I am 5'9 now I am down to 164.5 pounds. My appetite had slightly decreased and it remains decreased since I stopped taking it which is good I use to get the munchies so it did something to my thought process when it comes to food. I encourage people to always research drugs before taking them but do not give a lot of weight on reviews and try the medication. You never know how it works until you take it and I am glad I did. It helped me both heal, lose weight and stopped my junk food cravings! I am happy with results!"

Marie20142015 May 24, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I am a 24 year old male and have semi oil skin. Never had acne until after high school around 20 years old so I guess you can call it adult acne. Anyway, I was dealing with cystic acne on my chin, cheeks, jawline and even some times on my nose. It was considered mild-moderate but still very uncomfortable coming from 20 years of a completely clear face. I would have anywhere from 6-8 decently sized cysts on my face at any given time. For almost 5 years I tried everything all sorts of washes and crap I read online which none worked. Finally went to a derm 3 months ago and got Bactrim 800-160 within a week my acne cleared and has been 99.9% gone ever since taking it twice a day every day."

TJRrrrrr May 20, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I suddenly got a 5 angry red boils on my chin...and the next day another 10. I knew I better see a Doc quickly. My Doc prescribed Keflex 500mg, and said that in 3-4 days, it should start working. But the boils kept spreading to my upper lip and cheeks. So, I got in touch with the Doc. He promptly changed the med to Bactrim 800/160, twice daily. With the second pill, I felt that the battle with the bacteria had changed. No more new boils were forming, and existing ones started becoming black instead the fiery red. The black boils are hard and not painful to the touch. Now, it is only 2 days out of the 10 day dosage, but I feel I am on the way to recovery. I don't know what caused this infection but I switched out my old razor blade."

Yograj (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed a 10 day course for cellulitis and after 5 days the infection cleared but I'm so nauseous, gassy and dizzy I had to stop. I feel so bad I'm borderline suicidal. It's an effective drug for sure but brutal on the GI tract. I pray this feeling goes away soon..."

Wd40oz May 17, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "This is the best medicine as it never ceases to response in extreme cases.and takes 4 weeks course to resolve the issue."

vishal gurgaon (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am barley able to WRITE THIS!!!... SOO ITCHY!! MY ENTIRE BODY IS COVERED IN GODDAMN RASHES THAT ARENT GOING AWAY AND ARE ITCHY AS HELL HEAD TO FING TOE..."

Chillic May 10, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "This medication did work for me but I was on it for about 3-4 months before my skin actually cleared up. Don't give up hope if you see no change in the first couple of months. I went from having moderate, hormonal acne mostly around the chin and jaw (but also would appear on other parts of the face) to having a perfectly clear and glowing complexion. I am also taking the OCP (and had been on it prior to starting on Bactrim)"

Cleared89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Started taking bactrim about 3 weeks ago. It cleared alot of my acne in the first and second week but i started to break out in the third week. Yesterday I noticed a bump on my neck just below the ear. Turns out its a swollen lymphnode and its the size of a golf ball. That same day I got a severe headache and today my neck is extremely stiff so I'm going to the ER in the morning. Bottom line is don't take it, the side effects probably aren't worth it just get a hold of accutane."

Chris7438 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I have used this medicine. For a stap bacterial infection. Normally 9 years ago it would work rapidly and in 10 days it would be completely gone. But it has come back several times through the years. Now with this last infection I'm having to take double the dose, every 12 hours and I notice it is been hard it to get rid of. I'm hoping I won't get this skin boil again because I'm afraid of the antibiotics are not working 100%. What other options are there to take? But the bactrim is been my saver, til now"

canada23 May 3, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed Bactrim by a walk in clinic. Shoulda known better. After 2 days, I experienced some awful side affects - chills, fevers, night sweats, insomnia, diarrhea, and migraines - for three days. I thought I was going to die. After I finished my prescription, I got this terrible head to toe rash that itches like crazy. My UTI is gone but it was not worth the rash and three days of near death. Does anyone know what I can do for this rash?"

Elle K (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this antibiotic after trying Cipro, which was too strong for me. After finishing the 4 days I was on them for, my UTI was still present. Some days it was even worse. This antibiotic didn't work to get rid of my infection, even though the doctor claimed my urine in the lab was responsive to it. Not to mention these pills gave me god awful headaches and insomnia. Overall it lessened the burning and stinging and smell, but didn't clear my infection."

Andreana33 May 1, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm having the worst gastrointestinal problems and I'm only on day 3/7. I have extremely constipated, I have gas and bloating and I have nausea right after I take the pill."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015