User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 71 medications

Prostatitis 16 reviews 46 medications

3.6
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 476 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "I was originally prescribed Cipro to treat my prostatitis. After 6 days Cipro proved ineffective for the particular bacteria I had. Switched to SMZ-TMP in addition to Flomax and already feel relief on day 2. SMZ-TMP was free at my local Publix. I would have given it a 10 if I wasn't taking it in combination with Flomax (which is also having positive results)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

For Traveler's Diarrhea: "I've had a stomach disorder for two months. After several trips to the doc someone finally gave me this. I have had no side effects other then breathing heavy a little. But it rid me of what ever bacteria I had causing severe intestinal pain and massively messed up bowels. This helped in the first day. I was exposed to stagnant water. But it does say not work for some people. I would say if you had negative effects stop taking it. But it does work in the right situation. I can't believe I can eat food again."

Dougarhia April 16, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I put my self on Bactrim thanks to the internet, 3 or 4 years hematuria,dr, say mild infection ok keflix.,Cipro.macrodantin.rucefin,not sure of spelling none worked. Bactrim seems to have nailed but will wait and see, took for 12 days no side effect at all. old school is better,than the new all all purpose meds , here's hoping"

wright 1 April 14, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim ds for 14 days twice a day. I was told to take with a probiotic as it could kill the good bacteria in my gut, so I did. The side effects were severe headache, and fatigue. After 5 days of taking this medication I got an allergic reaction, so I stopped the antibiotics. The reaction was a severe rash on my face, neck, and chest. It was bright red, hot, and itchy. A mild rash spread to the rest of my body. I was given other medication to help the the allergic reaction which helped after 4 days. The abscess did go down and eventually healed on its own."

Mayra A April 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had bad abdominal pain under my naval and sharp dull pains in my pelvic area for what seems a good week or so. Took a UTI test at home, and came back as a possible UTI. Called the doctor and she put me on Cipro, all in all. After the first day, I was having chest pains in my left side and in the middle that were constant and wouldn't go away. I switched from Cipro to Sulfamethoxazole, and all my symptoms from before taking any medication have gone away. Except I've been peeing a WHOLE lot, I've had a loss in appetite, and I have felt nauseous and bad headaches. Little to no back pain, unless the usual, sitting for too long."

Lexie O April 12, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Had cut my foot at a beach and was prescribed Bactrim, got the chills and chattering teeth, told to continue and next day had severe diahareea and vomiting at same time hospitalized for several days, body bloated to twice my normal size, near died, would never take a sulphur drug again especially Bactrim."

lolo28 April 11, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "Severe diarrhea, severe nausea and vomiting after 2 doses."

Susan C. April 10, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was given Bactrim for vestibulitis, and a sinus infection, and bronchitis. The medicine was hardly effective. I just finished it. While on it all of my symptoms got worse and I had severe headaches and neck stiffness and I was so tired all day. I tried dealing with the side effects because I wasn't sure if it was the medicine or just being sick. Went back to my doctor today and because I'm not better he switched me to azothromycin and gave me some steroids for my energy levels. This medicine was awful. By the 7th day I was smelling and tasting the medicine all day. Really, I could've dealt with the side effects if the medicine helped me but it did not."

Csmien April 6, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I could tell it was working within 24 hours of taking it. Just be sure to eat with every dose, it's hard on the stomach!"

Laynepecv April 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on my first day of this pill treating a uti...i got the worse migraine ever..took excedrin to rid the pain..i am still feeling abdominal discomfort but will continue this 5 day treatment..cipro worked for me many years ago...i should have used that"

Anonymous March 31, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "My daughter had a small red angry looking flea bite, or so we thought. We tried to draw it out with hot compress. NO go. Went to Urgent Care the next day. Was given Bacrim 800+160. That was a Saturday. Wound was 1 times worse the next day. Went to ER. Was told NOT to use hot compress but keep taking the Bactrim. Today is Tuesday. Taking this medication doesnt seem to be doing much. She is red, imflammed badly, full of nastyness and pain. Using crutches as this is on her lower leg. Seeing surgeon in 2 days because the infection is now to deep. She is in tons of pain. Thankfully there is no fever as of yet but infection is looking more and more like MRSA. Scary stuff on an 18 year old who is constantly keeping herself clean."

Still on the Fence on this one (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine."

Liz.Pag (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the ER for pain in my lower back & my stomach. The Dr said I had an UTI which I didn't think that was the case cause I didn't have the symptoms of a UTI. Anyways, I started using the pills (Antibiotics) & about an hour of using it I felt nauseas, dizzy & started vomiting,itch all over my body & also I lost my appetite. I throw the pills away, I don't recommend them at all. I never have been allergic to any medication in my life."

Luz M. March 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Worked after three does, but that is when the headache started. No relief from headache with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm going to ask dr. For different drug. Also seemed to get chapped lips, dry hands, and did get low blood sugar accompanied by sweating on third day on this medicine. UTI seems to be cured though."

Where's the john March 20, 2016

For Acne: "Only thing that works for my acne. I'm 99% clear now and much more confident. Life changing! Just be sure to eat healthy and take a probiotic every morning and evening."

Young Adult Man March 20, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I was originally prescribed levoflaxcin for a bad sinusitus After a week nothing was happening. I was kept on it another week and still nothing. Then the doc gave me The sulfmeth tri. I have been bed ridden for 7 days. Body aches dizziness, Nausea, minor Vomiting. I literally feel like I was hit by a train. I have 7 days left but that is it. I'm done. I will not put this crap in my body again. It has been a nightmare."

Effective with horrible sides (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medication for a uti i had, it helped but after the 3rd day out of a 7 day dosage I started to get a rash under both my armpits and it started to burn when I would pee which it was suppose to fix."

Anonymous February 26, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I had a sinus infection 20 years ago that spread to my left eye & left frontal lobe of my brain. I had surgery on my sinuses, left eye, and my left temporal lobe of my brain removed and now have a plastic plate on the left side of my head. So I have frequent sinus infections and headaches. I was given generic Bactrim from the VA. I have taken it 2 days and my sinuses have cleared up any.So I am still having headaches but now have nausea, and diarrhea and stomach pains. I just hope it gets rid of the infection."

ChrisstyleG February 25, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I started this medicine about a week ago. Ever since then I have been fatigued, dizzy, nauseous, having migraines, sensitive to light, and haven't been able to concentrate. I was taking 2 a day but I felt so horrible I bumped myself down to only one a day. My abscess has burst but I still feel weak and very sore."

CollegeGirl448 February 24, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "Taking 2 pills twice a day everyday something new for a side effect , great way to loose weight . Don't feel like eating at all I do is keep my self hydrated with fluids to thin the phlegm so I can cough it loose and get the rest out of my system. Can't wait till I can stop taking it . Also think it's shredding my red blood cells feel tired and sometimes dizzy and weak"

Popcorn dutton February 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Bactrim doesn't seem to help, have a UTI and Dr put me on Bactrim, even after I told him it didn't work for me in the past. Been on it for a week and I can barely urinate. (Cipro has worked well for me). Now the Dr. wants me to make another office visit, because he gave me an antibiotic that I told him has not worked for me in the past. I asked him to call in a script for Cipro, he won't. He is convinced that if Bactrim didn't work, I need another visit. So now I have to pay for another visit. I almost always test negative for UTI, which makes me wonder how inclusive their culture test is. Anyway, ask for Cipro if Bactrim doesn't work."

not cured February 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a UTI with a MRSA on my face. I was given the drug for both. First mistake I went to FL and was under sun exposure which I didn't know is dangerous. Was ok with acidophilis too. Day 8 of Bactrim I developed vaginal bleeding but made no connection. Day 9 I stopped it. And day 10 I was blown up in hives, severe body rash, terrible chill w hi fever and a severe migraine attack. I was livid. They scared me to death. I felt I was dying. I was on Benadryl for 24 hours and started getting better. But the next day the MRSA WAS BACK. I nearly lost it! Obviously It was a terrible allergic reaction but my dr was hesitant as it occured after day 9 as opposed to his textbooks of day 2 or 3. As of now The bleeding has only subsided.Its 10 days since"

Anonymous February 16, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a UTI with a MRCA on my face. I was given the drug for both. First mistake I went to FL and was under sun exposure which i didnt know is dangerous. Was ok with acidophilis too. Day 8 of Bactrim i developed vaginal bleeding but made no connection. Day 9 i stopped it. And day 10 i was blown up in hives, severe body rash, terrible chill w hi fever and a severe migrane attack. I was livid. They scared me to death. I felt i was dying. I was on Benadryl for 24 hours and started getting better. But the next day the MRSA WAS BACK. I nearly lost it! Obviously It was a terrible allergic reaction but my dr was hesitant as it occured aftr day 9 as opposed to his textbooks of day 2 or 3. As of now The bleeding has only subsided.Its 10 days since"

Halli February 16, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "They prescribed bactrim to me, worst thing ever ended up in the hospital body Aches , fever , insomnia ... & went to hospital ended up with a low blood count ran all kinds of tests it was just awful I will never take this again & it's been about a month & I'm still not 100% better I will never take this ever again!"

Desti (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I tried almost every topical an acne sufferer can get from drug stores, from natural to other kinds of drugs for acne, but none ever worked. My acne is moderate to severe type of acne. I am not saying that this medicine will work for you same way it does for me, but you should consider it when you talk to your Doctor. I've been taking this medicine for over a year now and I can't be any more clearer. I used to get tiny whiteheads all over my face, like when I try to pinch my skin, you can squeeze them out like small pieces of oil that became oxidized and yellow. Before I got this medicine, almost every day of my life I'd have to deal with new bumps just after one healed. My face is scarred, but this is the best one I have tried ever."

Leonardel February 8, 2016