User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 35 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 263 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Review by Sldrwfe (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: Usually clears up any infections but does sometimes cause extreme nausea and yeast infection.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 6:46 PM

Review by Mom of 14 year old girl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: My daughter started having acne in 5th grade. She had small sized acne on her back, upper arms and face. She was prescribed a topical Retin A lotion and a topical antibiotic. This combination worked until she was in 8th grade when her acne became more severe. She would not use her other meds sometimes because she said it wasn't working. During her routine physical she was prescribed this medicine and started to take it the same day. We saw improvement within the first 3 or 4 days. She's been taking for a just short of a month and the results for her are nothing short of a miracle. She still has some redness as her acne subsides but her skin no longer "angry" and the tone is improving each day. What a great way to start high school!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 7:34 AM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: If you just started this medicine I know you're probably feeling bad about you acne. BUT LISTEN Bactrim works from the inside out and if you breakout in the first few weeks that's fine stick with it because soon your skin will be clear and Bactrim will help stop breakouts from ever happening in the first place soon! Cleared my hormonal acne. I rarely get a pimple and I had moderate to server acne and it was a life saver! Your acne will be cleared in just a few months. I suggest using a topical gel as well. Hang in there it helped me during a rough time in just 3 1/2 months I had a clear face, just a few acne marks on my cheeks only thing that stinks is I'm scared to go off the antibiotic and have a repulse of acne. But I suggest this!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by LnnVo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I had mild to severe back acne with constant breakouts on my chest and face. My dermotologist prescribed me this specifically for my back acne but thank goodness it cleared up my face and chest! Before on a scale of 1-10 my face and chest were around a 7 but after being on the medication it's now a 1. My face/chest is now flawless and my back is now only left with scars. My back acne was extremely terrible but after using the medication for a few months, it stopped the breakouts and gave time for my skin to heal. I've used this medication for a little over one year now and I do admit you have to be patient with the medicine. As long as you don't pick and touch your problem spots then it should work nicely. I experienced nausea every morning when I take the medication and a loss in appetite but it's not that bad.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 9:30 AM

Review by Hartmaa (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Works quite well for me. I have been on every med ever and even Accutane 3 times with no success. I have severe acne and simultaneous all over skin infection. 2 things- dairy if any kind sets it off and it's so much worse. Avoid dairy like the plague. 2- depends on how you skin is infected.my skin gets affected very often with Staph and so Bactrim and Keflex work really well. For people with p. Aches bacteria - erthromycin is awesome. But the sad fact is that over time it won't work as bacteria becomes resistant. I am seeing endocrinologist to find out what foods I am eating that seem to cause my body to make excess hormones and attack my skin. Best of luck all! Don't know what I'll do once I'm off Bactrim. I feel great and zero side effect

June 25, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was encouraged by these reviews as I started this medicine, and I feel like I am one of the few whose acne didn't clear right up. I've been on it for just under a month now and my acne is the worst it has ever been. I just wanted to share because it seemed like everyone was so happy with it.

June 23, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by mustang500:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I had a liver transplant and was prescribed this medication as an ongoing treatment to combat bacterial infections that may occur due to being on immunosuppressants. I stopped taking it after one year but then experienced significant acne on my head and chest. I will resume this medication as obviously it has helped.

June 23, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by LindsayNicole (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: Took this medicine for a horrible horrible HORRIBLE kidney infection. Worked within 2 days and cleared up all of my symptoms, which was such a relief. I was told to finish off the bottle by my doctor, and the next day I developed a horrible case if the hives. I stopped taking the medicine immediately, but the hives stuck around for another 3 days. What a miserable week! So, Bactrim worked wonders for my kidney infection, but little did I know I was severely allergic to it. Take with caution.

June 22, 2014 2:51 AM

Review by mumtaj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Urinary Tract Infection: My baby is taking this from day of 4 after he was born. He always seems to be restless, uncomfortable, grunting sounds, spitting more than usual, motion problems, not constipated but difficulty in going poop, straining a lot.

June 17, 2014 8:08 AM

Review by ChelleeBelly:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: If you're ever on antibiotics, it's best to take a probiotic to help with stomach upset. However, I read you should take them as far away from your dose of antibiotic as possible. So, if you have to take it twice a day: take the Bactrim at breakfast and dinner. Then take the probiotics directly between at around lunch time. Taking any antibiotics with food also helps. Certain antibiotics have different food instructions so ask your pharmacist. I'm currently on Bactrim for a urinary tract infection, but I also have an infected hair that's been causing me a lot of pain in my groin so I'm hoping this will help there as well.

June 15, 2014 8:37 AM

Review by bosky2:

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: I was prescribed Septra for a bacteria infection . The prescription was for ten days and about the fifth day bad a headache started with sever lower back pain also. On the seventh day I broke out from head to toe with severe hives.

June 12, 2014 9:24 PM

Review by Anna A:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I'm 16 now and started using Bactrim when I was 15, I tried many other acne treatments like Proactiv and other topical gels but none of those worked as well as the Bactrim antibiotic! If you just started using this medication give it time it took me about two months to see results but after 6 I had no acne only breaking out occasionally! Wish I had a before and after picture because it was crazy how well my skin cleared. I used to take it twice a day and once my skin was totally clear I only started taking it a few times a week and I started breaking out again and acne came back I'm back taking it twice a day so hopefully it can do the trick again! But I'll post again in a few months if/when I see results in my skin again!

June 12, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by Dani11 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I used to get recurrent urinary tract infections but hadn't had one in 7 years. Just got one and they tried nitrofurantonin but it did nothing. I got Bactrim and the urgency and burning was gone within hours. I don't like taking antibiotics but UTIs are no joke. Bactrim worked for me and thank goodness. I get a little stomach ache but it beats the UTI symptoms!

June 11, 2014 12:16 PM

Review by jszaradowski (taken for less than 1 month):

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: Taking this for sinusitis. I am an adilt taking in suspension, as I have trouble swallowing pills. It says grape and is purple in color but it tastes terrible.

May 28, 2014 10:28 AM

Review by JessG:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Felt mild relief, Doc said it should be gone in 3 days gave me enough to take it for 5 days in case it was not gone. I also experienced fevers and achiness. Not pleasant. Everyday I had discomfort and today I am out of it and feel terrible with my urinary tract symptoms again.

May 19, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by KittyBee:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I was prescribed Bactrim and felt worse right away. After reading the side effects, I told myself that what I was feeling was normal. I took the prescribed dosage (2 per day) for 5 days, feeling even worst on the 5th day - shaky, diarrhea, headache, nervousness, unable to sleep. Then after some research, I discovered that there also were interaction side effects with my blood pressure medications.

May 10, 2014 10:35 AM

Review by Fuss box (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: My body responds to sulfur products. After two days on Bactrim I noticed a difference. By the 4th day I was back to myself. It really helped me.

April 17, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by BL florida (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I was first prescribed Augmentin for an infection from a puncture wound near the nail bed of my thumb. It made me feel like I was suffering from morning sickness and did not work. Next I got Flagyl and Bactrim. The culture showed the Staph was sensitive to Bactrim and the wound is SO much better! Yes, there are some side effects (for me, insomnia but I don't know if that is Flagyl or Bactrim) but it is so much better than losing my finger! I also took Florastor with the medication to reduce intestinal upset and experienced none.

April 4, 2014 6:53 PM

Review by whohol:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bronchitis: Felt so sick to my stomach, laid in bed for 2 weeks, I experienced bloating, nausea, couldn't eat. Cramping was serious, I suffered from chills, fever, aches and pains. Headache was also present, made me feel lightheaded also. Couldn't function.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2014 10:30 AM

Review by AcneKiller (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I started taking this a few weeks ago and my acne is almost 100% gone. My skin feels very soft and smooth as well. It is definitely worth a try. I was on Monocycline before for about a year and my acne began to relapse. Once I started on Bactrim my skin was clear again but I am scared of relapsing since it is still an antibiotic. Drink lots of water as well because you constantly feel dehydrated.

March 24, 2014 2:56 AM

Review by CBLagoon (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: Bactrim cured my prostatitis within two weeks, however I had to stop taking it earlier than prescribed because I discovered I was allergic. I noticed flu-like symptoms, including chills, fever, and horrible muscle aches. On top of that, I developed a head to toe rash that itched like crazy. Imagine being sore and itchy at the same time. Luckily, all of this subsided within a few days of quitting Bactrim. Since the antibiotic kills bacteria everywhere, I noticed I had flawless skin for about a week. But that didn't last. The bacteria came back with a vengeance and I developed the worst acne of my life. I'm now taking doxycycline and using expensive creams to combat this. It's been two months since I stopped Bactrim and I am still breaking out!

March 13, 2014 12:22 AM

Review by NIMBLE1:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I had a kidney transplant and Bactrim was prescribed as part of my meds to allay any infections. I'm middle aged and have suffered from acne for years. To my surprise, my acne cleared! A bonus!

March 12, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Meggy 5000:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: I have been taking Bactrim for sinusitis around a week. I have developed painful sores on my tongue that are not visible to the eye. My mouth itches and burns terribly. It worked for my underlining condition but this side effect is unbearable.

March 8, 2014 7:39 PM

Review by myboys14:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I am 41 years old and have struggled all my life with acne. Having done Roaccutane, Minocycline and every other medication and topical ointment. At 41 I was over acne. This is a miracle medicine. Skin cleared up in about 7 days and is absolutely flawless. Can't speak highly enough of this medicine. I am acne free for the first time in my life. Ask your doctor about this.

February 28, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by stephaniew2:

For Acne: I have terrible, painful cystic acne. I have been on and off this medicine whenever my acne gets out of control. I have been taking it twice a day for the past two weeks and my skin is all cleared up.

February 24, 2014 12:24 AM