User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Uroplus, Uroplus DS

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 35 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 247 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Review by Fuss box (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: My body responds to sulfur products. After two days on Bactrim I noticed a difference. By the 4th day I was back to myself. It really helped me.

April 17, 2014 8:44 PM
Review by BL florida (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I was first prescribed Augmentin for an infection from a puncture wound near the nail bed of my thumb. It made me feel like I was suffering from morning sickness and did not work. Next I got Flagyl and Bactrim. The culture showed the Staph was sensitive to Bactrim and the wound is SO much better! Yes, there are some side effects (for me, insomnia but I don't know if that is Flagyl or Bactrim) but it is so much better than losing my finger! I also took Florastor with the medication to reduce intestinal upset and experienced none.

April 4, 2014 6:53 PM
Review by whohol: User Rating:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bronchitis: Felt so sick to my stomach, laid in bed for 2 weeks, I experienced bloating, nausea, couldn't eat. Cramping was serious, I suffered from chills, fever, aches and pains. Headache was also present, made me feel lightheaded also. Couldn't function.

March 30, 2014 10:30 AM
Review by AcneKiller (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I started taking this a few weeks ago and my acne is almost 100% gone. My skin feels very soft and smooth as well. It is definitely worth a try. I was on Monocycline before for about a year and my acne began to relapse. Once I started on Bactrim my skin was clear again but I am scared of relapsing since it is still an antibiotic. Drink lots of water as well because you constantly feel dehydrated.

March 24, 2014 2:56 AM
Review by CBLagoon (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: Bactrim cured my prostatitis within two weeks, however I had to stop taking it earlier than prescribed because I discovered I was allergic. I noticed flu-like symptoms, including chills, fever, and horrible muscle aches. On top of that, I developed a head to toe rash that itched like crazy. Imagine being sore and itchy at the same time. Luckily, all of this subsided within a few days of quitting Bactrim. Since the antibiotic kills bacteria everywhere, I noticed I had flawless skin for about a week. But that didn't last. The bacteria came back with a vengeance and I developed the worst acne of my life. I'm now taking doxycycline and using expensive creams to combat this. It's been two months since I stopped Bactrim and I am still breaking out!

March 13, 2014 12:22 AM
Review by NIMBLE1: User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I had a kidney transplant and Bactrim was prescribed as part of my meds to allay any infections. I'm middle aged and have suffered from acne for years. To my surprise, my acne cleared! A bonus!

March 12, 2014 8:30 PM
Review by Meggy 5000: User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: I have been taking Bactrim for sinusitis around a week. I have developed painful sores on my tongue that are not visible to the eye. My mouth itches and burns terribly. It worked for my underlining condition but this side effect is unbearable.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 8, 2014 7:39 PM
Review by myboys14: User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I am 41 years old and have struggled all my life with acne. Having done Roaccutane, Minocycline and every other medication and topical ointment. At 41 I was over acne. This is a miracle medicine. Skin cleared up in about 7 days and is absolutely flawless. Can't speak highly enough of this medicine. I am acne free for the first time in my life. Ask your doctor about this.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2014 10:08 PM
Review by stephaniew2: User Rating:

sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim for Acne: I have terrible, painful cystic acne. I have been on and off this medicine whenever my acne gets out of control. I have been taking it twice a day for the past two weeks and my skin is all cleared up.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2014 12:24 AM
Review by taleeuh1: User Rating:

sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim for Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine after having many urinary tract infections in the past year. I usually am prescribed CIPRO but this time the nurse at the minute clinic CVS told me to try this. Little did I know how much worse I was going to feel. It did help with the UTI which then later became a yeast infection...but I became very weak, had a fever, no energy and went numb from my knees down my legs. I could not feel circulation in my legs.

February 17, 2014 7:53 AM
Review by Sarah82: User Rating:

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I tried taking Septra, and by the second day I was vomiting all day long. Couldn't take it long enough to cure the bladder infection and because of changing antibiotics partway through, ended up in a trip to the hospital with a kidney infection.

February 14, 2014 9:33 PM
Review by Mariaaaaaaaa: User Rating:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: Developed a skin rash all over my body, headache, stomach discomfort, neck stiffness, itchiness, anxiety. The majority of the symptoms pretty much.

January 24, 2014 12:49 PM
Review by Ashlyn Elisa: User Rating:

sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim for Acne: My face was horribly broken out and covered in acne for the last five years along with painful cysts since I was 15, I'm 23 and I've tried every face wash, lotion, etc; finally my doctor gave me this prescription and I haven't had a cyst or a single pimple since. I've been on this medicine for two years now and I love it, only draw back is I'm always insanely thirsty on it no matter how much I drink and some nausea as well.

January 15, 2014 3:11 PM
Review by dann32132131:

sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim for Acne: I have been using this for a while now and still get out breaks.

January 12, 2014 9:37 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I just started Bactrim. I have noticed a significant change for the better. For those of you that get yeast infections, eat lots of yogurt if you can. I have found this has helped me in the past.

January 5, 2014 7:49 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I took Bactrim for about 1 year and did not get a single breakout during that time. Really works wonders for skin. Now I have been on the maintenance dose to carry on the good work.

December 26, 2013 5:37 AM
Review by nickname: User Rating:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: I've been on it for 6 days now and I feel the same as I did before. This is my first time taking it for a sinus infection. I guess it doesn't work for me.

December 16, 2013 3:53 PM
Review by aldkjfodnf: User Rating:

sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim for Urinary Tract Infection: After I got home and had taken about 4 of these I had loss of appetite, and had a headache. I looked at the papers from the pharmacy and I seen it said sulphamethazole! I called my doctor in a panic since it is listed in my allergies. I haven't had an allergic reaction, but my dad and moms side have. I finished out the antibiotic and have been fine. I did notice on Monday, which was my last dose, that I was feeling really queezy and had a headache. But no hives. Also This did some weird things while on it. I felt sick, and wasn't hungry, plus gave me a little anxiety. I will go back in a few days to make sure it is all cleared up. I took it for five days twice a day. I do however feel tons better.

November 20, 2013 4:26 PM
Review by shellierh: User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: Took one dose of Bactrim for sinusitis/bronchitis and 3 hours later face was red. 1 hour following, my face, arms and hands broke out into hives. Had to discontinue and call doc.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 15, 2013 11:45 AM
Review by elletee: User Rating:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Make sure Bactrim is actually the correct medication for your UTI! I took Bactrim for 4 days with no relief before my doctor's office got the results back from my UA and realized that Bactrim is resistant to the bacteria causing my UTI. Now I am taking Cipro and it seems to be doing the trick. I did not have any side effects with Bactrim though, it just didn't work for me.

November 11, 2013 11:18 AM
Review by Onewahine (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim for Bacterial Skin Infection: I was prescribed sulfameth for a gross bacterial infection (jacuzzi rash). While on it I experienced headaches, foul gas, loss of appetite, constant thirst, extreme fatigue, dizziness, spotting, diarrhea (should have kept up with my probiotics). On the eighth day I had itchy hives ALL over my body, severe lower back pain, neck & shoulder pain & stiffness. Dr. said to stop medicine & consider myself allergic to sulfa drugs. My original rash had cleared up but so did my two children who didn't have any antibiotics. For me, obviously not worth the side effects.

November 9, 2013 8:15 PM
Review by ktbaby94: User Rating:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: My derm put me on this medicine after trying another. I break out on my chest, and once I started taking the medicine it cleared up in about two weeks. I haven't experienced any side effects!

November 3, 2013 8:14 PM
Review by Lirpa13: User Rating:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: Can't live without having this in by medicine cabinet. At the onset of a suspected boil I take this and problem solved! I have been taking this for many years. Before Bactrim I had boil after boil, scars, and embarrassment. Miracle drug for boils, who cares about minor side effects!!!

October 30, 2013 3:51 PM
Review by jaxdam: User Rating:

sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim for Urinary Tract Infection: I took one for the first time for a urinary tract infection and about 3-4 hours after taking I had rapid heart beat, shaking, diarrhea and nausea. I took a Xanax because I mistook this for a panic attack but the Xanax did nothing to help and I started to get a strange flushing, burning skin sensation. The sensation happens in waves over my skin, very strange like nothing that has ever happened to me. Called Dr.s office and was told it was an allergic reaction, been taking Benadryl all day but still feeling the effects over 2 hours later!

October 18, 2013 8:01 PM
Review by superman 8000: User Rating:

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bronchitis: Great!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 18, 2013 9:59 AM
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Watch this video series to learn about managing severe allergies (anaphylaxis).