User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Granuloma Inguinale 0 reviews 36 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 85 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 320 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Review by enge:

For Bacterial Skin Infection: Got a yeast infection. I'm in a lot of pain. And to top it off. I had an extreme allergic reaction.

April 24, 2015 8:59 AM

Review by teen girl:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I'm a teen with pretty bad acne. Within two weeks my skin had cleared up tremendously. Unfortunately, then I started getting red hives all over my body due to a allergic reaction.

April 20, 2015 4:20 PM

Review by Anonymous1220 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: While I was only on Bactrim for one week, I feel like it was an experience to share! In this week I did notice a difference in my skin and it was probably the best my face has ever looked. That being said, I developed allergy symptoms pretty quickly but did not make the connection right away. High fever and nausea for a few days before a full-body rash on the 8th day. I was taking two pills a day. Always watch for symptoms and consult the doctor. I would still recommend this medication to others as it appeared VERY promising at clearing up my moderate hormonal acne. If I could go on it again, I would.

April 17, 2015 12:31 PM

Review by quickdigits (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: At first, I found myself with more energy and simply lost my appetite, which didn't bother me. Then, the second day, I suffered nausea and vomiting. I discontinued the medicine on the second day, but the nausea and vomiting continue.

April 16, 2015 8:07 PM

Review by Allendahaw (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: I was suffering from acne since childhood.I tried Accutane but doesn't work for me.Tried any kind of drugs and creams prescribed by Dermatologist but nothing works.Recently I went to one dermatologist its Hospital Base clinic and she prescribed me Bactrim DS.I took it for a week and suddenly I just felt terrible I had severe fever and chills and after two days I noticed the rash all over my body I thought it's measles.but ouch! tachycardic,dehydration for just a week.When I visit my derma she said its Bactrim allergy.The bad thing is she has to send me to the Emergency. I was so happy at first because Bactrim cleared my acne in just a week but in the end it's horrible feeling that I almost dead.

April 13, 2015 9:14 PM

Review by Irish eyes 43:

For Bacterial Skin Infection: Ive been taking this medication for 5 days now. My reason for taking it was a skin graft. Though its early in the treatment,I am happy to report no noticable side effects. I will repost closer to the completion of treatment on results.

March 30, 2015 12:38 AM

Review by Marianneplus4:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Im a 32 year old working mom of 4, who has dealt with acne for 14 years...extremely long story short. TRY IT, IT WORKS! Bactrim changed my life and gave me back my confidence. I feel good in my own skin now.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2015 12:41 PM

Review by y1223445:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: It's my 4th day on Bactrim and it has not been great. I feel better from the overall symptoms but I've been fatigued and super groggy and for the first day I had a horrible headache. I keep feeling my heart pounding in my head and ears, but I agree with pretty much everyone else on here, the symptoms from the cure are better than the symptoms of my bladder/kidney infection. I've got 6 more days... Is it effective? Yes. Is it an enjoyable experience? No.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 6:48 PM

Review by SarahGabriella (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: Took medication with the warning that it needed to be taken with "plenty of water". Woke up in the middle of the night with a severe headache and went back to sleep. Woke up in the morning for work and had debilitating nausea. I really hope this is just a temporary thing and I don't have to do this every time i take it.

March 13, 2015 9:23 AM

Review by JTbc:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: After 3 1/2 weeks, I developed a skin rash, which started itching horribly. The rash and itching continued for two weeks (13 days) after stopping the medication. Apparently Sulfa allergies are fairly common. Benadryl helped the itching a bit.

March 12, 2015 1:23 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: It didn't work it gave me a cold and headaches and severe cough and a yeast infection, it's day 7 of 10 and I have NO RELEIF. I do not recommend this. Maybe it just doesn't work for me I don't know. I don't think I'd ever use it again.

March 8, 2015 12:35 AM

Review by Mustang girl (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: I have had these urinary tract infections and the only thing that works quickly is the Bactrim DS. It works in a matter of days. Side effects are different for everyone but as mild as mine have been I would choose this over any other antibiotic. Very happy! Make sure that you always take the full dose and the whole bottle as prescribed even though it feels like it's going away. best wishes!

March 1, 2015 8:56 AM

Review by Gwen019:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: The medicine worked SO well on my acne. Not even 10 days after beginning the prescription and my acne was already clearing up. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the Sulfa in the medicine and was rushed to the hospital because the reaction caused the platelet levels in my blood to drop to extremely dangerous levels. I'm still searching for a medicine that works like this one did without the sulfa in it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2015 10:09 PM

Review by shilonputty:

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: This medication has worked for me for so many yrs. when I take the 2nd. dose, I feel no pain while urinating! I recommend this "highly"!

February 18, 2015 2:46 PM

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Thank goodness I am not allergic to sulfa! This medication worked like a charm on my roseasa hormonal cystic acne on my chin. I am 48 years old and it took me way too long to discover this miracle! Coupled with clindamyicin my face was clear within days!

February 12, 2015 9:44 PM

Review by daisy's mom:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I have a large swollen infection believed to be staph infection. This medicine is working well but day 2 I am so nauseous even after taking Zofran 8mg I can not bare the thought of swallowing it or anything else. I've taken this before and did not get this effect. I have many other health issues at the time but I was shocked I reacted this way.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2015 7:16 AM

Review by GloryGirl2005 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a Paronychia infection on my right index finger. There was no apparent abscess so the doctor felt a script of Bacrtim DS would do the job. After taking the first pill I began to fill dizzy and nauseous. Over the next few days I had barely any appetite and wanted to sleep all day. I felt like I could not get enough sleep. I was also extremely sensitive to the sunlight which only enhanced my desire to sleep more. Over all the infection did not appear to change in the 3 1/2 days on the antibiotic but that is not to say it did not work. I just was not able to function on it therefore I called my doctor for something else.

February 8, 2015 12:44 PM

Review by Telewit8530:

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: I took this for four and a half days. I experienced complete appetite loss, nausea, fatigue, abdominal pain, and anxiety. I had blood work done before I took the Bactrim and when I got my results back it turned out I didn't have a bacterial infection at all. All that for nothing. I still haven't completely recovered my appetite and it has been almost a week since my last dose.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 10:02 AM

Review by Aliceinthird:

For Kidney Infections: Was told to take for 14 days for a kidney infection, took for 7 and infection cleared. Doc said to keep taking then but they made my heart beat fast around day 11 so I've stopped

January 20, 2015 1:01 PM

Review by hfriedlund (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: The pressure in my head is gone but I have been getting extreme nausea and fatigue since I started it 5 days ago.

January 16, 2015 4:20 PM

Review by Superstar11111:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: Something really bad happened to me 14 years ago that caused trauma to the urinary tract. Ever since I have used Bactrim on a regular basis to flush out my bladder and urethra of bacteria because my body does not do a sufficient job through urination. If you take it on an empty stomach, it will make you feel really sick, but the medicine is awesome and I highly recommend it.

January 7, 2015 9:51 AM

Review by Hanc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: After 16 years of very severe acne I have finally perfect solution, cleared my face within 1 month. Love it, perfect!

January 4, 2015 11:16 PM

Review by patient 94:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: Did not work

January 4, 2015 3:59 PM

Review by Sykad (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I just recently experienced my first urinary tract infection. I was on Cipro for 3 days and I thought it cleared up. But symptoms got worse within a couple days after I had stopped the Cipro. I was then prescribed sulfa... After 45 minutes within taking this pill I got terrible cramps, to the point where I couldn't even sit in a certain position or drive myself home. The second time, same thing. I have yet to take my third dose, but I'm honestly scared and annoyed that I'm probably going to have to go through the cramping again. Although, I must admit, after the first pill I feel my UTI is gone, but just to be safe I'm going to take it for one more day. I didn't throw up or anything, I did experience nausea but I made mint tea and that calmed my stomach.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 2:25 PM

Review by jjjjj29849857:

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: Bactrim worked miracles when I first started taking it. I was on it for almost 5 years, but it began to lose it's potency so I had to change. Overall, it helped a lot in clearing my acne. I did experience less of an appetite, but other than that it was a positive experience.

December 30, 2014 11:06 PM