Active substance(s): BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE SOLUTION 50% / COAL TAR SOLUTION / POLYOXYETHYLENE 23 LAURYL ETHER / POLYOXYETHYLENE 4 LAURYL ETHER / SALICYLIC ACID
for the treatment of psoriasis
and seborrhoeic dermatitis of the scalp
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
ionil T* SHAMPOO
What you should know about ionil T
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start using ionil T. Don’t throw it away, you might
want to read it again. If you follow the advice in this leaflet you will give your medicine a chance
to work. If you have any questions, or are not sure about anything, please ask your doctor or
What is in this shampoo?
• The name of this product is ionil T. It is clear brown liquid shampoo with the slight smell of
coal tar. The active ingredients are coal tar solution ( 4.25 %), salicylic acid (2 %),
benzalkonium chloride solution Ph. Eur. (0.4 %) and polyoxyethylene (4 and 23) lauryl ethers
• It also contains the inactive ingredients tetrasodium edetate, Ethyl alcohol 95.6 % v/v, citric
acid and purified water.
• ionil T is available in Ireland in bottles of 50 ml or 200 ml. In the UK, this product is only
available in 200 ml bottles.
• Coal tar has been in use for many years to treat certain skin conditions. It is an antipruritic
(helps to treat itchy skin) and keratolytic (helps to control flakiness and scaling).
The product is manufactured by Laboratoires Galderma, 74540 Alby-sur-Chéran, France.
What does ionil T do?
• Your doctor or pharmacist has recommended this medicine to you for the treatment of
your scalp problem. This disorder may either be called psoriasis or seborrhoeic dermatitis.
• Psoriasis is a condition in which your skin cells grow too quickly. This causes scaling, itching
and redness. Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a condition in which your scalp (top of your head)
may be excessively oily and scaly with redness and crusting (hard skin).
Before using ionil T for the first time…
• Are you allergic to any of the ingredients of this product? Check by reading the list above.
If so, do not use this product and contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
• Safety of use in pregnancy and lactation has not been established. Therefore ionil T should
only be used when considered essential by the physician.
• Do not use this product if your scalp is inflamed (sore) or if the skin is broken.
• Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. Avoid contact with other mucous membranes such as
the linings of your nose or the back passage. If you accidentally get the shampoo on these
areas, wash the area with large amounts of warm water. If irritation develops, consult your
doctor for advice.
• Do not use this product with any other skin products unless your doctor or pharmacist has
told you that you can.
• Do not use ionil T and then go out into direct sunlight, unless your doctor or pharmacist
has told you that you can.
Please read the back of this leaflet
How to use your ionil T
• Do not get ionil T near your mouth or swallow it. IT IS FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY.
• Always wash your hands before and after use.
• Massage into wet hair. Do not expect too much lather (foam) at first as the shampoo is made
for low foaming.
• Rinse well, and then apply the shampoo again and massage into a lather.
• Allow the product to remain on your hair for about 5 minutes, after which time give your
hair a final thorough rinse. Dry your hair in the normal way.
• Repeat this method of treatment one or two times a week.
• For the best results, do not use soaps or any other shampoos on your hair immediately before
(or after) using this product.
• Your doctor or pharmacist will be able to advise you how long you should use this shampoo
While you are using ionil T
• If ionil T does make your scalp sore, reduce the use of the product to once a week for a
while, then start to use the product as often as you did before.
• If the discomfort continues, the condition worsens, or you experience any side effects which
trouble you, immediately stop using the product and ask your doctor or pharmacist for
How to store your ionil T
• Do not use after the “Use Before“ date shown on the container or carton.
25°C. (less than 25 °C), in its original container.
heat. away from direct heat.
• Store it in a place where children cannot see or reach it.
• Store it away from where you prepare foods or store medicines that you take by mouth.
• When your doctor or pharmacist has told you that you can stop using this product, you can
keep any unused product safely for future use. Always remember to store it as described
above. If you do not want to keep it, return it to your pharmacist, who will dispose of it
REMEMBER: Your doctor or pharmacist recommended this product to you. Never give it to
other people to use, even if they appear to have or tell you that they have
the same skin problem as you.
For further information, please contact the Psoriasis Association, Milton House,
7, Milton Street, Northampton NN2 7JG.
Distributed in the UK by: Novex Pharma Limited, Marlow, Bucks SL7 1TB
Distributed in Ireland by: Intra Pharma Limited, Tallaght, Dublin 24
Marketing Authorisation Nos: PL 10590/0003 (UK) PA 590/3/1 (Ireland)
Date of preparation: April
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.