User Reviews for Acitretin

Also known as: Soriatane, Soriatane CK

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Acitretin.

Psoriasis
6.9

Summary of Acitretin reviews 6.9 17 reviews

Reviews for Acitretin

For Psoriasis: "I’ve been on Acitretin for over a year. Overall it has helped my psoriasis, I’m not completely clear but the flakeyness has completely gone and the redness has reduced in areas. The side effects have made me question whether or not to continue on the drug. I was initially on 25mg but there was 0 changes to my psoriasis, I was then put onto 50mg and my psoriasis started to disappear extremely fast. On 50mg I was constantly tired and my skin was peeling on my lips, I also feel the effect of weakened nails of which I’ve had an ingrown toe nail on both feet! I was dropped to 35mg (currently on) and my psoriasis is at a stale mate, it definitely isn’t improving. I’m constantly fatigued and will hopefully be getting off them in December."

Will194 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I was prescribed 25mg per day and for three months took the drug until the pain in my back, joints and muscles led me to believe I had bone cancer. After researching and the drug and finding out these are common side effects I stopped taking the drug. My psoriasis had cleared up, I was able to go to the hairdresser without being embarrassed of condition of my scalp and my legs and back also cleared. Six months later, with the returning at it's worse, I again started taking the drug. This time however there was not improvement in my skin and the joint and muscle pain was unbearable. I have once again stopped taking the drug, for two weeks now, and can not move without groaning due to the continuing muscle pain."

Veronica Pet (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I commenced this drug very slowly (10mg/day), worked up to 30mg over the course of a month. The psoriasis on my hands responded very quickly but was pretty painful while it was shedding. The psoriasis on my feet took much longer but did respond eventually. I had problems with side effects however. I had to reduce my dose to 20mg one month after increasing to 30mg. My face (no psoriasis on my face) was red, scaly, so painful that I couldn't wear my glasses, the inside of my nose was bleeding and sore, the inside of my mouth was peeling, my gums were bleeding and my vision was effected. Even on 20mg my vision has continued to decline my hair is falling out I have no eyebrows or eyelashes. I gave up yesterday. Its worked but at a cost."

KSH58* August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "I have palmoplantar pustular PsA with 4 other types of psoriasis. 25 mg per day did nothing. 50mgs/daily has helped the pustular on hands and feet, but other psoriasis forms in groin area, skin folds, under arms, head, nails, are not cooperating- in fact the psoriasis is growing in those areas."

Seahorse02 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I have been taking acitretin for 7 years now I was covered in psoriasis I started taking 30 mg a day within 2 weeks it was gone I now take 10mg a day its pretty much under control I have small bits on Elbow's and belly button but I'm OK"

Martin 595 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "Worked fast , some tiredness"

Ralph flores March 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "My experience with aciterin has been ok no side effects up to now psoriasis is still very bad on my legs and back got to go for blood test on 27th Feb and a follow up appointment on 6th March on 35mg at moment and hoping to increase dose couldn't have methotrexate coz my liver function was to high. But amazing affects on ciclosporin great tablet cleared my psoriasis really well in the first 3 days but they couldn't keep me on it for to long as it can cause serious damage"

Stacy anne February 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "Was born with a skin condition initially diagnosed as PRP but a 2nd biopsy years later (at age 60) said it was psoriasis. 95% coverage and when untreated very bad including cracking bleeding and skin cancers. Dr's tried everything. Was placed on a new drug, Acitretin, when in my 20's. Later it was branded as Soriatain and the cost increased and kept increasing each year. Dosage was 25mg daily. No real side affects except I couldn't drink alcohol (it neutralizes the drug). I also use Medco's Aquaphilic Ointment and Alpha Keri bath oil. Worked great although never cleared completely. Insurance cap too high so had to go off it. Note for new users: Flares for a few weeks before taking full affect, (works from inside out). Give it time."

Unca P (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "During first 3 months I didn't notice any change in my warts. But after that within six months warts disappeared as if they weren't there for years. My warts were in my both hands and legs for atleast 17 years. After using aceterin it went away completely."

Rabin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "It works very fast."

R shrma January 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "I have been on Soriatane for about a year. It has done wonders for my condition. I was on 25 mg per day and the derm changed it to 25mg everyother day and 10mg on opposite days. This has shown very little change but a VERY tiny bit is now noticeable. I have had absolutely ZERO side effects. Overall, I'm thoroughly happy with it!"

Crumby July 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "All my muscles and joints got stiff 2 weeks after taking it and I never went back to feeling normal, always stiff and achy."

shot to hell (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I am a physician; I took acitretin as prescribed for plaque psoriasis. After about 3-4 weeks I started to feel very unwell - weak, tired, unable to cope with minor slopes (I have trekked in the Himalayas, Yosemite, Highlands of Scotland, etc). I was not drinking alcohol at all - not for four months before or after. Acitretin was discontinued and the adverse effects reported (yellow card) to the UK regulatory body. The malaise and weakness persisted after stopping the medicine but gradually resolved over a 12 month period. "

Bill in the UK (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "I took Soriatane for about four months until my hair started falling out. Although, Soriatane cleared 80% my moderate Psoriasis, I did not want to lose more hair. While taking Soriatane my lips became very dry and cracked, peeling skin on feet and loss of hair. It was effective in clearing the Psoriasis."

Desert Flower (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "After contracting a rare form of cancer called Merkel cell, after taking an immune system suppressing medicine, I used Soriatane with great results. My psoriasis was completely clear while on this. After about 1 year, my dermatologist took me off the medicine stating that my liver could be affected if I stayed on it long term. He said my liver converted the Soritane to some form of chemical that was harmful to the liver. "

patchey (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "Soriatane certainly helps with the psoriasis, but I'm not sure the side effects are worth it. I've got 2 infected ingrown toenails because the skin on my toes are so soft it laps over and causes the toenails to be ingrown and then infected. I've lost a lot of hair. My fingernails peel and break. I have this plastic like coating in my mouth that nothing gets rid of. There's got to be a better way!"

Shelly L January 8, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soriatane (acitretin) for Psoriasis: "I used Soriatane for about 9 months and had to stop using it because I lost my insurance, but after those 9 months I went about 2 1/2 years until my psoriasis started coming back. So if your insurance will cover it I would highly recommend this medicine to anyone."

it_worked_for_me August 16, 2009