Potassium chloride Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to potassium chloride: oral tablet extended release
Other dosage forms:
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a high potassium level like a heartbeat that does not feel normal; change in thinking clearly and with logic; feeling weak, lightheaded, or dizzy; feel like passing out; numbness or tingling; or shortness of breath.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Signs of bowel problems like black, tarry, or bloody stools; fever; mucus in the stools; throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds; very bad belly pain; or very bad hard stools (constipation) or loose stools (diarrhea).
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Swelling of belly.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Some products of potassium are in a wax matrix; you may see this in stool. The potassium has been taken into the body, but the wax has not.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to potassium chloride: compounding powder, intravenous solution, oral capsule extended release, oral granule extended release, oral liquid, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Hyperkalemia can cause muscle weakness, paresthesia of the extremities, listlessness, mental confusion, flaccid paralysis, cold skin, grey pallor, peripheral vascular collapse, fall in blood pressure, paralysis, cardiac arrhythmias, and heart block. Electrocardiogram abnormalities include disappearance of the P-wave, widening and slurring of QRS complex, changes of the S-T segment, tall peaked T-waves. At extremely high concentrations (8 to 11 mmol/L) may cause death from cardiac depression, arrhythmias, or arrest.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hyperkalemia, hypervolemia[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Delayed intestinal transit[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site pain, injection site phlebitis, infection at injection site, venous thrombosis extending from site of injection, extravasation[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Skin rash
Frequency not reported: Febrile response[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Potassium Chloride (potassium chloride)." Baxter I.V. Systems Division, Round Lake, IL.
4. "Product Information. Klor-Con M10 (potassium chloride)." Upsher-Smith Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about potassium chloride
- Potassium chloride Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 16 Reviews
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
- Potassium Chloride
- Potassium Chloride Extended-Release Capsules
- Potassium Chloride Extended-Release Tablets
- Potassium Chloride Injection Solution
- Potassium Chloride Liquid and Powder