Generic Name: Potassium Chloride Liquid and Powder (poe TASS ee um KLOR ide)
Brand Name: Kaon, Rum-K
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 8, 2020.
The Rum-K brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. If generic versions of this product have been approved by the FDA, there may be generic equivalents available.
Uses of Rum-K:
- It is used to treat or prevent low potassium levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Rum-K?
- If you are allergic to Rum-K (potassium chloride liquid and powder); any part of Rum-K (potassium chloride liquid and powder); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have high potassium levels.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Amiloride, eplerenone, spironolactone, or triamterene.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Rum-K (potassium chloride liquid and powder).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Rum-K (potassium chloride liquid and powder) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Rum-K?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Rum-K (potassium chloride liquid and powder). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- If your diet has low-salt foods or you are taking a salt substitute, talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Rum-K) best taken?
Use Rum-K (potassium chloride liquid and powder) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or right after a meal.
- Mix with water as you have been told before drinking.
- Drink slowly.
- Do not keep the mixture to use later.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a high potassium level like a heartbeat that does not feel normal; change in thinking clearly and with logic; feeling weak, lightheaded, or dizzy; feel like passing out; numbness or tingling; or shortness of breath.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
What are some other side effects of Rum-K?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Rum-K?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Rum-K (potassium chloride liquid and powder), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Rum-K (potassium chloride)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
- FDA Alerts (2)