Nalex Expectorant Side Effects
Generic Name: guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine
Note: This document contains side effect information about guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Nalex Expectorant.
For the Consumer
Applies to guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine: oral elixir, oral liquid, oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, guaifenesin/hydrocodone/pseudoephedrine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Incidence Not Known
- Abdominal or stomach cramps or pain
- blurred vision
- chest pain or discomfort
- cold, clammy, pale skin
- difficult or troubled breathing
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- slow heart rate
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects of guaifenesin/hydrocodone/pseudoephedrine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- feeling of warmth
- redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
- relaxed and calm
- sudden sweating
Incidence Not Known
- Trouble sleeping
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine: oral liquid, oral tablet
The most commonly reported adverse effects have included headache, dizziness, sedation, nausea, diarrhea, decreased blood pressure, and flushing.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Sedation (somnolence), headache, dizziness, weakness, decreased mental alertness with impaired mental and/or physical abilities
Frequency not reported: Increased intracranial pressure
Frequency not reported: Convulsions
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation
Frequency not reported: Paralytic ileus
1. "Product Information. Dynex HD (guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine)." Athlon Pharmaceuticals Inc, Birmingham, AL.
2. "Product Information. Hycofenix (guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine)." Mission Pharmacal Company, San Antonio, TX.
3. "Product Information. Entex HC (guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine)." Athlon Pharmaceuticals Inc, Birmingham, AL.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Nalex Expectorant (guaifenesin / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
- FDA Alerts (3)