Klor-Con 10 Side Effects
Generic Name: potassium chloride
Note: This document contains side effect information about potassium chloride. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Klor-Con 10.
For the Consumer
Applies to potassium chloride: oral tablet extended release
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a high potassium level like a heartbeat that does not feel normal; change in thinking clearly and with logic; feeling weak, lightheaded, or dizzy; feel like passing out; numbness or tingling; or shortness of breath.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Very hard stools (constipation).
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Swelling of belly.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Very bad belly pain.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Some products of potassium are in a wax matrix; you may see this in stool. The potassium has been taken into the body, but the wax has not.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to potassium chloride: compounding powder, intravenous solution, oral capsule extended release, oral granule extended release, oral liquid, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Hyperkalemia can cause muscle weakness, paresthesia of the extremities, listlessness, mental confusion, flaccid paralysis, cold skin, grey pallor, peripheral vascular collapse, fall in blood pressure, paralysis, cardiac arrhythmias, and heart block. Electrocardiogram abnormalities include disappearance of the P-wave, widening and slurring of QRS complex, changes of the S-T segment, tall peaked T-waves. At extremely high concentrations (8 to 11 mmol/L) may cause death from cardiac depression, arrhythmias, or arrest.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hyperkalemia, hypervolemia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, flatulence, abdominal pain/discomfort, diarrhea, obstruction, bleeding, ulceration, perforation, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, local irritation of the mucosa
Postmarketing reports: Delayed intestinal transit[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site pain, injection site phlebitis, infection at injection site, venous thrombosis extending from site of injection, extravasation[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Cardiac arrhythmias, cardiac arrest[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Skin rash
Frequency not reported: Urticaria, pruritus[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Febrile response[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Potassium Chloride (potassium chloride)." Baxter I.V. Systems Division, Round Lake, IL.
4. "Product Information. Klor-Con M10 (potassium chloride)." Upsher-Smith Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
Some side effects of Klor-Con 10 may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Klor-Con 10 (potassium chloride)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.