Kionex Side Effects
Generic name: sodium polystyrene sulfonate
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 21, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about sodium polystyrene sulfonate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Kionex.
For the Consumer
Applies to sodium polystyrene sulfonate: oral or rectal powder for suspension, oral or rectal suspension
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to sodium polystyrene sulfonate: oral suspension, oral and rectal powder, oral and rectal suspension, rectal enema
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Intestinal/colonic necrosis
Frequency not reported: Gastric irritation, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, fecal impaction, intestinal obstruction, other serious gastrointestinal (GI) adverse reactions
Nausea, vomiting, and constipation have occurred, especially with high doses. In clinical trials, fecal impaction occurred in geriatric patients given large doses; children have experienced impaction with rectal administration. Following oral administration, intestinal obstruction with aluminum hydroxide concretions and bezoar formation occurred in neonates. In postmarketing reports, gastrointestinal tract ulcerations, necrosis, and ischemic colitis may have resulted in intestinal perforation.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anorexia, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypomagnesemia, significant sodium retention[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Grand mal seizure[Ref]
More about Kionex (sodium polystyrene sulfonate)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: cation exchange resins
- Patient Information
- Kionex (Advanced Reading)
- Kionex (Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate Powder)
- Kionex (Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate Suspension)
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Kayexalate (sodium polystyrene sulfonate)." Sanofi Winthrop Pharmaceuticals, New York, NY.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.