Kenalog in Orabase Side Effects
Generic Name: triamcinolone topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about triamcinolone topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Kenalog in Orabase.
For the Consumer
Applies to triamcinolone topical: topical application cream, topical application lotion, topical application ointment, topical application spray
Along with its needed effects, triamcinolone topical (the active ingredient contained in Kenalog in Orabase) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking triamcinolone topical:Incidence not known
- Blistering, burning, crusting, dryness, or flaking of the skin
- itching, scaling, severe redness, soreness, or swelling of the skin
- redness and scaling around the mouth
- thinning of the skin with easy bruising, especially when used on the face or where the skin folds together (e.g. between the fingers)
Some side effects of triamcinolone topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Incidence not known
- Acne or pimples
- burning and itching of the skin with pinhead-sized red blisters
- burning, itching, and pain in hairy areas, or pus at the root of the hair
- increased hair growth on the forehead, back, arms, and legs
- lightening of normal skin color
- lightening of treated areas of dark skin
- reddish purple lines on the arms, face, legs, trunk, or groin
- softening of the skin
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to triamcinolone topical: mucous membrane paste, topical cream, topical kit, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical spray
The most commonly reported side effects were burning, itching, irritation, and dryness.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Burning, itching, irritation, dryness[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, hypopigmentation, blistering or peeling not present prior to therapy, perioral dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, maceration of the skin and oral mucosa, secondary infection, atrophy of the skin and oral mucosa, striae, and miliaria[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hyperglycemia, glucosuria[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. "Product Information. Kenalog (triamcinolone topical)." Westwood Squibb Pharmaceutical Corporation, Buffalo, NY.
3. "Product Information. Aristocort Topical (triamcinolone topical)." Fujisawa, Deerfield, IL.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Kenalog in Orabase (triamcinolone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical steroids