Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Cold Formula Liquid Side Effects
Generic Name: acetaminophen / dextromethorphan / doxylamine / phenylephrine
Note: This document contains side effect information about acetaminophen / dextromethorphan / doxylamine / phenylephrine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Cold Formula Liquid.
For the Consumer
Applies to acetaminophen / dextromethorphan / doxylamine / phenylephrine: oral liquid
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Dermatologic side effects associated with acetaminophen includes the risk of rare but potentially fatal serious skin reactions known as Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS), toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN), and acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP).
General side effects have included pallor and weakness.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects have included rare reports of fixed-drug eruptions.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included marked drowsiness and excitability.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Alka-Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold (APAP/dextromethorphan/doxylamine/PE)." Bayer Pharmaceutical Inc, West Haven, CT.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Cold Formula Liquid (acetaminophen / dextromethorphan / doxylamine / phenylephrine)
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Night Cold Formula Liquid Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations