Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 26, 2020.
(mi NOKS i dil)
Excipient information presented when available (limited, particularly for generics); consult specific product labeling.
Rogaine Mens: 5% (60 g) [contains cetyl alcohol]
Rogaine Mens Extra Strength: 5% (60 mL) [contains cetyl alcohol]
Rogaine Womens: 5% (60 g) [contains cetyl alcohol]
Hair Regrowth Treatment Men: 5% (60 mL) [contains alcohol, usp, propylene glycol]
Minoxidil for Men: 2% (60 mL); 5% (60 mL, 120 mL)
Rogaine: 2% (60 mL) [contains alcohol, usp, propylene glycol]
Rogaine Extra Strength for Men: 5% (60 mL) [contains alcohol, usp, propylene glycol]
Generic: 2% (60 mL); 5% (60 mL)
Brand Names: U.S.
- Hair Regrowth Treatment Men [OTC]
- Minoxidil for Men [OTC]
- Rogaine Mens Extra Strength [OTC]
- Rogaine Mens [OTC]
- Rogaine Womens [OTC]
- Topical Skin Product
Stimulation of hair growth is secondary to vasodilation, increased cutaneous blood flow, and stimulation of resting hair follicles.
Use: Labeled Indications
Alopecia: Treatment of alopecia androgenetica of the scalp
OTC labeling: When used for self-medication, do not use if your degree of hair loss is different than that shown on the product labeling; if you have no family history of hair loss; if your hair loss is sudden and/or patchy; if your hair loss is associated with childbirth; if you do not know the reason for your hair loss; in pediatric patients <18 years; if your scalp is red, inflamed, infected, irritated, or painful; or you use other medicines on the scalp. Do not use products on women that are labeled for use on men.
Alopecia: Topical: Note: Continuous therapy for 4 months may be necessary for hair growth.
Foam, aerosol 5%: Apply 1/2 capful once daily
Solution 2%: Apply 1 mL twice daily
Foam, aerosol 5%: Apply 1/2 capful twice daily
Solution 2% or 5%: Apply 1 mL twice daily
Topical: For topical administration on the scalp only; do not use on other parts of the body. Apply directly to the hair- thinning areas of scalp; massage into scalp with fingers; wash hands after application. Refer to manufacturer’s labeling for additional administration instructions.
Foam: May melt upon contact with warm fingers; rinse fingers in cold water and thoroughly dry prior to use
Foam: Store at 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F). Do not puncture or incinerate container. Do not expose to heat or store at temperatures >49°C (120°F).
Solution: Store at 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F).
CycloSPORINE (Systemic): May enhance the adverse/toxic effect of Minoxidil (Topical). Specifically, hypertrichosis risk may be increased. Monitor therapy
The following adverse drug reactions and incidences are derived from product labeling unless otherwise specified.
Dermatologic: Local erythema (6%), pruritus (6%)
Concerns related to adverse effects:
• Hair color changes: Changes in hair color and/or texture may occur.
• Heart disease: Due to potential systemic absorption with subsequent fluid/electrolyte changes, a careful risk to benefit assessment should be performed in patients with heart disease before the use of topical minoxidil.
Dosage form specific issues:
• Flammable: Formulations are flammable; avoid fire, flame, or smoking immediately following application.
• Appropriate use: For topical use only on the scalp; do not apply to other parts of the body. Avoid contact with eyes, mouth, nose, or other mucous membranes. Not intended for frontal baldness or receding hairline Continued use is necessary to increase and maintain hair regrowth.
• Self-medication (OTC use): When used for self-medication (OTC), discontinue use and contact your contact health care provider if chest pain, rapid heartbeat, faintness, or dizziness occurs; weight gain (sudden, unexplained) occurs; swelling of the hands or feet occurs; scalp irritation or redness occurs; unwanted facial hair growth occurs; if you do not see hair regrowth 4 to 6 months (product dependent).
Adverse events have been observed in some animal reproduction studies following oral administration.
What is this drug used for?
• It is used to treat hair loss.
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
• Change in hair texture
• Hair discoloration
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
• Chest pain
• Passing out
• Fast heartbeat
• Excessive weight gain
• Swelling of arms or legs
• Scalp irritation
• Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Talk to your doctor if you have questions.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a limited summary of general information about the medicine's uses from the patient education leaflet and is not intended to be comprehensive. This limited summary does NOT include all information available about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. For a more detailed summary of information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine, please speak with your healthcare provider and review the entire patient education leaflet.
More about minoxidil topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 120 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
- FDA Alerts (1)
- Other brands
- Hair Regrowth Treatment for Men, Rogaine Men's Extra Strength, Hair Regrowth Treatment for Women
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.