Generic Name: multivitamin with iron and fluoride (MUL tee VYE ta min with EYE urn and FLOOR ide)
Brand Name: Escavite, MyKidz Iron FL, Poly-Vi-Flor with Iron, TL Fluorivitamin, Tri Vites with Fluoride and Iron
What is Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)?
Multivitamins are a combination of many different vitamins that are normally found in foods and other natural sources.
Iron is a mineral that helps maintain your body's red blood cells.
Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay in people who have a low level of fluoride in their drinking water. In most major U.S. communities, fluoride is put into the water supply.
Multivitamin with iron and fluoride is a combination medicine used in infants and children who do not get enough fluoride in their drinking water.
Multivitamin with iron and fluoride may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)?
An overdose of iron can be fatal to a child younger than 6 years old.
Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice. Check with your local water department if you are unsure about the level of fluoride in the drinking water.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)?
Do not use this medicine if there is enough fluoride in your drinking water (0.6 parts per million or higher). Check with your local water department if you are unsure. Getting too much fluoride can cause a condition that can permanently damage teeth or other cells in the body.
Before you use multivitamin with iron and fluoride, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions or allergies.
It is not known whether this medicine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Your dose needs may be different during pregnancy.
Multivitamin with iron and fluoride can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Your dose needs may be different while you are nursing.
How should I take Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice.
Take your medicine with a full glass of water.
The chewable tablet must be chewed before you swallow it.
Do not give a chewable tablet to a child younger than 4 years old. The child may choke on the tablet. Use only liquid forms of this medicine in young children.
Measure liquid medicine with the dosing syringe provided, or with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
Brush your teeth regularly, and visit a dentist every 6 months. Taking multivitamin with iron and fluoride is not a replacement for good oral hygiene and routine dental checkups.
Store this medicine in its original container at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Do not allow the liquid to freeze.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of iron can be fatal to a child younger than 6 years old.
What should I avoid while taking Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)?
Avoid using other multivitamins or mineral supplements that also contain iron. Getting too much iron can cause serious medical problems.
Calcium can make it harder for your body to absorb all the nutrients in multivitamin with iron and fluoride. For at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after you take this medicine:
do not drink milk or eat dairy products; and
do not take calcium supplements, or antacids that contain calcium.
Avoid taking any other multivitamin product unless your doctor tells you to.
Be sure that a child using this medicine is not taking in extra amounts of fluoride by swallowing toothpaste, or drinking water from water sources with adequate levels of fluoride.
Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
In rare cases, this medicine may discolor your tooth enamel. This has occurred mainly with large doses or long-term use. Stop using multivitamin with iron and fluoride and call your dentist or doctor at once if you notice any change in the appearance of your teeth.
Less serious side effects may be more likely, and you may have none at all.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)?
Other drugs may interact with multivitamin with iron and fluoride, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use now and any medicine you start or stop using.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
More about Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: iron products
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about multivitamin with iron and fluoride.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 7.01.
Date modified: October 13, 2017
Last reviewed: October 29, 2015