What type of drug is Verzenio?
Verzenio (abemaciclib) is a small molecule drug and kinase inhibitor used in the treatment of both early breast cancer, and advanced or metastatic (cancer that has spread) breast cancer. Verzenio is used to treat both men and women.
Verzenio is an ATP-competitive inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinases 4 and 6 (CDK 4 and CDK6).
Verzenio is used to treat:
- Early breast cancer in patients at high risk of it coming back who have hormone receptor (HR)-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative, node-positive cancer. Verzenio is used in combination with endocrine therapy (tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor) in these patients.
- Breast cancer that has worsened or spread to other parts of the body in:
- Postmenopausal women and in men with HR-positive, HER2-negative cancer. Verzenio is used in combination with an aromatase inhibitor as a first-line endocrine-based therapy in these patients.
- Patients with HR-positive, HER2-negative cancer that has progressed after endocrine therapy. Verzenio is used in combination with fulvestrant (Faslodex) in these patients.
- Patients with HR-positive, HER2-negative cancer who have experienced disease progression after endocrine therapy and prior chemotherapy. Verzenio is used alone (monotherapy) in these patients.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Verzenio. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/208716s006s007s008lbl.pdf. [Accessed November 15, 2021].
- Gelbert LM, Cai S, Lin X, et al. Preclinical characterization of the CDK4/6 inhibitor LY2835219: in-vivo cell cycle-dependent/independent anti-tumor activities alone/in combination with gemcitabine. Invest New Drugs. 2014;32(5):825-837. doi:10.1007/s10637-014-0120-7.
Related medical questions
- Is Verzenio better than Ibrance?
- Can you take Verzenio after Ibrance fails?
- How long do you take Verzenio for?
- How long does it take Verzenio to work?
- Is Verzenio (abemaciclib) a chemo drug?
- How effective is Verzenio?
- Verzenio Information for Consumers
- Verzenio Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Verzenio (detailed)