How much does Ibrance cost?
- The cash price for Ibrance (palbociclib) is around $13,000 to $13,500 for a supply of 21 capsules, using an online coupon. However, most people do not pay this price. This price is for customers paying cash only, with a discount coupon, and is not valid with insurance plans.
- If you have commercial insurance, check with Pfizer, the manufacturer of Ibrance, to determine if you may be eligible for the $0 copay card. Savings may be available for other types of insurance or if you have no insurance. Call 1-844-9-IBRANCE (Monday–Friday 8 AM–8 PM ET).
- Ibrance (palbociclib) is used as part of a treatment regimen in men and women to treat HR-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
Does insurance cover Ibrance?
Your Ibrance prescription cost may be lower if you have commercial insurance (for example, private insurance through your employer or the Affordable Care Act).
- Ibrance is covered by most commercial insurance plans (as of March 2019).
- You still may be responsible for other costs, such as copays, coinsurance, or a deductible based on your insurance plan and formulary restrictions.
Pfizer Oncology Together Co-Pay Savings Program.
Pfizer, the manufacturer of Ibrance offers the Pfizer Oncology Together Co-Pay Savings Program. Patients with commercial insurance may be eligible to use this copay card to lower their out-of-pocket costs for Ibrance.
- With this card, you will pay a $0 co-pay per monthly prescription, with a maximum amount of $25,000 per calendar year that can be applied toward your copay.
- The amount of any benefit is the difference between your co-pay and $0. After the annual maximum of $25,000 is reached, you will be responsible for the remaining monthly out-of-pocket costs.
- This card can be used once every 30 days, but there are no restrictions on how many times you use it as long as the program is in effect.
- You will most likely fill your Ibrance prescription through a specialty pharmacy, and they should accept your copay card. Specialty drugs are often expensive and may need special handling, shipping, storage or pharmacist safety reviews.
Will Medicare pay for Ibrance?
You are not eligible to use the commercial copay card if you are enrolled in a state or federally funded insurance program (for example, Medicare, Medicare Part D, Medicaid, Veteran Affairs, Tricare, others), or if you are paying cash.
- As of March 2019, Ibrance is covered by 100% of Medicare Part D plans. However, your out-of-pocket cost may vary depending on your specific plan.
- Financial assistance through Extra Help, a Medicare Part D Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) program, may also be an option.
- Independent charitable foundations may be able to provide support.
- Pfizer Oncology Together can help identify financial support resources if you have these forms of insurance and still cannot afford your medication. Call 1-844-9-Ibrance (Monday–Friday 8 AM–8 PM ET).
What if I don’t have insurance to cover Ibrance?
If you do not have insurance or cannot otherwise afford your medication, you may be eligible for free medicine through the Pfizer Patient Assistance Program or at a lower cost through the Pfizer Savings Program.
To learn more about how an Ibrance savings program may benefit you, call Pfilzer at 1-844-9-IBRANCE (Monday–Friday 8 AM–8 PM ET).
Is there a generic for Ibrance?
Ibrance is only available as a brand name drug until 2023 at the earliest. A generic version, which is typically more affordable, is not yet available. The earliest a generic may be available is January 2023, but this is always subject to change based on patent challenges.
Ibrance (palbociclib) is classified as a CDK 4/6 inhibitor. It is used as part of a treatment regimen in men and women to treat HR-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
- The price of Ibrance is around $13,000 for 21 capsules; however, most people do not pay this price.
- Your final cost will depend upon your insurance coverage, either private or government-sponsored, or any copay cards, online coupons or cash discounts you may have.
- Pfizer, the manufacturer of Ibrance offers a $0 co-pay program for eligible patients and can provide advice on other options to lower your cost of Ibrance. Call 1-844-9-Ibrance (Monday–Friday 8 AM–8 PM ET).
- Ibrance [package insert]. Mission, KS: Pfizer, 2020. https://www.ibrance.com/financial-support-resources
- Paying for Otezla. Amgen. April 2020. https://www.otezla.com/plaque-psoriasis-treatment/how-much-does-otezla-cost
Related medical questions
- How common is hair loss with Ibrance?
- Is Ibrance a form of chemo?
- Is Verzenio better than Ibrance?
- Can you take Verzenio after Ibrance fails?
- How long can you take Ibrance?
- How does Ibrance kill cancer?
- How effective is Ibrance?