Pepto-Bismol - How long will your stool be dark for?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 12, 2022.
Took about 3 doses on Thursday and 1 dose on Friday and it's Monday and my stool is still black?
Dark colored / black stools are a common side effect and can last for several days after you stop taking Pepto-Bismol. This is not a serious side effect.
Give it a few more days and it should disappear.
Dark colored bowel motions can also be a sign of gastrointestinal bleeding so if it continues or you are concerned please see your Doctor.
Related medical questions
- What causes black hairy tongue?
- How to stop diarrhea - any medicine or remedy suggestions?
- My stool has changed color. What does it mean?
- Is using expired Pepto-Bismol a hazard or health risk?
Related support groups
- Pepto-Bismol (23 questions, 16 members)