After taking medicine to treat threadworm 7 days ago, is it normal for dead worms to be present?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 11, 2020.
Yes, it is normal to see dead threadworms in the persons bowel motions. Depending on the frequency of bathroom visits this can take up to one week.
Symptoms of threadworm infection usually disappear within one week of treatment. Threadworms are highly contagious. Hygiene measures should be followed for 6 weeks.
As well as medicating all family members at the same time to prevent the spread of eggs you should:
- Clean toilet seats daily
- Keep fingernails short and clean
- Wash all bed linens twice a week
- Wash hands before meals and after using the toilet
- Avoid scratching the infected area around the anus. This can contaminate your fingers and everything else that you touch.
- Keep your hands and fingers away from your nose and mouth unless they are freshly washed.
If the infection continues 2 weeks after treatment you should go back to your doctor.
For more information visit: https://www.drugs.com/mcd/pinworm-infection
Related Medical Questions
Related Support Groups
- Pruritus (156 questions, 299 members)