Darbepoetin alfa and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with darbepoetin alfa:
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
erythropoiesis-stimulating agents - hypertension
The use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents is contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled hypertension. Epoetin alfa and darbepoetin alfa may cause blood pressure to rise. Hypertensive encephalopathy and seizures have been observed in patients with chronic renal failure treated with these agents. Blood pressure should be adequately controlled prior to initiation of therapy, and monitored closely during treatment. Aggressive antihypertensive measures may be necessary, particularly early on in treatment when the hematocrit is increasing. It is recommended to reduce or withhold the use of these agents if blood pressure becomes difficult to control.
- Eschbach JW, Abdulhadi MH, Browne JK, Delano BG, Downing MR, Egrie JC, Evans RW, Friedman EA, Graber SE, Haley NR, et al "Recombinant human erythropoietin in anemic patients with end-stage renal disease. Results of a phase III multicenter clinical trial." Ann Intern Med 111 (1989): 992-1000
- Buckner FS, Eschbach JW, Haley NR, Davidson RC, Adamson JW "Hypertension following erythropoietin therapy in anemic hemodialysis patients." Am J Hypertens 3 (1990): 947-55
- Raine AE "Hypertension, blood viscosity, and cardiovascular morbidity in renal failure: implications of erythropoietin therapy." Lancet 1 (1988): 97-100
- "Product Information. Epogen (epoetin alfa)." Amgen, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- "Product Information. Procrit (epoetin alfa)." Ortho Biotech Inc, Raritan, NJ.
- Bennett WM "Side effects of erythropoietin therapy." Am J Kidney Dis 18 (1991): 84-6
- Singbartl G "Adverse events of erythropoietin in long-term and in acute short-term treatment." Clin Investig 72 (1994): s36-43
darbepoetin alfa drug Interactions
There are 30 drug interactions with darbepoetin alfa
darbepoetin alfa disease Interactions
There are 4 disease interactions with darbepoetin alfa which include:
More about darbepoetin alfa
- Darbepoetin alfa Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: recombinant human erythropoietins
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.