Generic name: dantrolene sodium 250mg in 5mL
Dosage form: injection, suspension
Medically reviewed on December 7, 2017.
Dosage for Treatment of Malignant Hyperthermia
In addition to RYANODEX treatment, institute the following supportive measures:
- Discontinue use of malignant hyperthermia (MH)-triggering anesthetic agents (i.e., volatile anesthetic gases and succinylcholine).
- Manage the metabolic acidosis
- Institute cooling when necessary
- Administer diuretics to prevent late kidney injury due to myoglobinuria (the amount of mannitol in RYANODEX is insufficient to maintain diuresis) [see Description (11)]
Administer RYANODEX by intravenous push at a minimum dose of 1 mg/kg. If the physiologic and metabolic abnormalities of MH continue, administer additional intravenous boluses up to the maximum cumulative dosage of 10 mg/kg.
If the physiologic and metabolic abnormalities reappear, repeat RYANODEX dosing by intravenous push starting with 1 mg/kg.
Dosage for Prevention of Malignant Hyperthermia
The recommended prophylactic dose of RYANODEX is 2.5 mg/kg administered intravenously over a period of at least 1 minute, starting approximately 75 minutes prior to surgery. Avoid agents that trigger MH.
If surgery is prolonged, administer additional individualized RYANODEX doses during anesthesia and surgery [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
Dosage for Pediatric Patients
Reconstitution and Administration Instructions
The supplied lyophilized powder must be reconstituted prior to administration:
- Reconstitute each vial of RYANODEX lyophilized powder by adding 5 mL of sterile water for injection (without a bacteriostatic agent). Do not reconstitute with any other solution (e.g., 5% dextrose injection, 0.9% sodium chloride injection).
- Shake the vial to ensure an orange-colored uniform suspension. Visually inspect the vial for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration.
- Must use the contents of the vial within 6 hours after reconstitution. Store reconstituted suspensions at controlled room temperature (68°F to 77°F or 20°C to 25°C).
Do not dilute or transfer the reconstituted RYANODEX suspension to another container to infuse the product.
Administer the reconstituted RYANODEX suspension either:
- Into the intravenous catheter while an intravenous infusion of 0.9% sodium chloride injection, or 5% dextrose injection is freely running; or
- Into the indwelling catheter - after assuring its patency - without a freely running infusion. Flush the line to assure that there is no residual RYANODEX remaining in the catheter [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3)].
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Ryanodex (dantrolene)
- Ryanodex Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: skeletal muscle relaxants