Generic name: ETELCALCETIDE HYDROCHLORIDE 2.5mg in 0.5mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Ensure corrected serum calcium is at or above the lower limit of normal prior to PARSABIV initiation, a PARSABIV dose increase, or re-initiation of PARSABIV therapy after a dosing interruption [see Dosage and Administration (2.2) and Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
- The recommended starting dose of PARSABIV is 5 mg administered by intravenous (IV) bolus injection three times per week at the end of hemodialysis treatment.
- The maintenance dose of PARSABIV is individualized and determined by titration based on parathyroid hormone (PTH) and corrected serum calcium response [see Dosage and Administration (2.2)]. The maintenance dose is the dose that maintains PTH levels within the recommended target range and corrected serum calcium within the normal range. The lowest maintenance dose of PARSABIV is 2.5 mg three times per week, and the highest maintenance dose of PARSABIV is 15 mg three times per week.
- Administer PARSABIV only at the end of hemodialysis treatment.
- If a regularly scheduled hemodialysis treatment is missed, DO NOT administer any missed doses. Resume PARSABIV at the end of the next hemodialysis treatment at the prescribed dose. If doses of PARSABIV are missed for more than 2 weeks, re-initiate PARSABIV at the recommended starting dose of 5 mg (or 2.5 mg if that was the patient’s last dose).
Monitoring and Dose Adjustment
- Monitor corrected serum calcium and PTH levels during dose initiation, dose adjustment, and dose maintenance according to the schedule in Table 1.
|Dose Initiation or
|Corrected Serum Calcium Levels||1 week after||Every 4 weeks|
|Parathyroid Hormone Levels||4 weeks after||Per clinical practice|
- Titrate PARSABIV dose based on PTH and corrected serum calcium response. At the maintenance dose, PTH levels should be within the recommended target range and corrected serum calcium within the normal range.
- Increase the dose of PARSABIV in 2.5 mg or 5 mg increments in individuals with corrected serum calcium within the normal range and PTH levels above the recommended target range based on the patient’s PTH levels no more frequently than every 4 weeks up to a maximum dose of 15 mg three times per week.
- Decrease or temporarily discontinue PARSABIV dosing in individuals with PTH levels below the target range. In individuals with a corrected serum calcium below the lower limit of normal but at or above 7.5 mg/dL without symptoms of hypocalcemia, consider decreasing or temporarily discontinuing PARSABIV or use concomitant therapies to increase corrected serum calcium [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. If the dose is stopped, then re-initiate PARSABIV at a lower dose when the PTH is within the target range and hypocalcemia has been corrected.
- Stop PARSABIV and treat hypocalcemia if the corrected serum calcium falls below 7.5 mg/dL or patients report symptoms of hypocalcemia [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. When the corrected serum calcium is within normal limits, symptoms of hypocalcemia have resolved, and predisposing factors for hypocalcemia have been addressed, re-initiate PARSABIV at a dose 5 mg lower than the last administered dose. If the last administered dose of PARSABIV was 2.5 mg or 5 mg, re-initiate at a dose of 2.5 mg.
- Do not mix or dilute PARSABIV prior to administration. The solution is clear and colorless. Inspect PARSABIV for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration. Do not use PARSABIV vials if particulate matter or discoloration is observed.
- Administer PARSABIV by intravenous bolus injection into the venous line of the dialysis circuit at the end of the hemodialysis treatment during rinse back or intravenously after rinse back.
Switching from Cinacalcet to PARSABIV
- Discontinue cinacalcet for at least 7 days prior to starting PARSABIV, and initiate PARSABIV treatment at a starting dose of 5 mg. Ensure corrected serum calcium is at or above the lower limit of normal prior to PARSABIV initiation [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
More about Parsabiv (etelcalcetide)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: calcimimetics