User Reviews for Cinacalcet

Also known as: Sensipar

Learn more about Cinacalcet.

Secondary Hyperparathyroidism 8 reviews 5 medications

6.6
Summary of Cinacalcet reviews 8 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Cinacalcet

Sensipar (cinacalcet) for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "Abnormal dreams and bothersome while taking sensipar. I have difficulty sleeping . Bad dreams stop and return to normal if I skip the dose"

Rob981234 September 3, 2015

Sensipar (cinacalcet) for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "Sensipar has worked well for me. Five plus year dialysis patient. Unfortunately being forced from private insurance to Medicare Part D with supplementary Part D private supplemental plan. Cost of Sensipar and it's cumulative dollar cost along with all my other medications places me into the Part D donut hole almost immediately. Manufacturers patient support plan (which was wonderful when I had private insurance) stops when I transfer to Medicare Part D. There appears to be nothing for Medicare Part D patients from manufacturers. I don't understand why but these are just the facts. Bottom line is that while Sensipar works effectively it is classified as a Tier 3 and is priced prohibitively."

Hal1999 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2014

Sensipar (cinacalcet) for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "I have severe bone pain in my legs and frequent bowel movements up to fifteen times per day. Parathyroid scan showed nothing abnormal. After taking Sensipar only three days I saw marked improvement. After 28 day trial, pain in the legs is 80% improved, (am a multiply operated spine patient so did not expect 100%). Bowel movements are more normal and once per day as they should be. This shows with just one month of treatment, that I do have parathyroid disease that was not picked up on scans. Now I can pursue treatment through surgery."

Annie1441 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2012

Sensipar (cinacalcet) for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "I'm a senior with a low fixed income. I am ever so grateful to the Sensipar assistance program. I have very high calcium levels and this medicine has cut it in half, I used to get very disoriented, confused, overwhelmed but now with this medicine I feel close to normal. I have had a great experience with this medicine and have experienced no side effects. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2012

For Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "I've been on cinacalcet for five years, two while on dialysis (I was on dialysis for five and a half years) and three post-kidney transplant. While it does reduce my blood calcium levels, my biggest complaint is tiredness, especially right after I take it, which is with food at dinner. I was once at 90 mg a day, now down to 60 mg, and hoping to reduce to 30 mg because of the terrible tiredness. By the way, post-transplant I've been able to eat high levels of calcium and phosphorous (dairy, nuts, sardines etc) and that has enabled me to be able to lower the amount of cinacalcet I take by signalling to the parathyroid that I have adequate amounts of calcium in my blood. "

TFR June 8, 2011

Sensipar (cinacalcet) for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "I took this drug and had no side effects. On the other hand, it didn't reduce my blood calcium levels."

Spike5 July 22, 2010

Sensipar (cinacalcet) for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "I experienced severe leg cramps almost immediately upon taking this medication and whatever else it may have been doing for me. I could not tolerate the cramps which even interfered with my ability to sleep, walk, drive or climb stairs."

Anonymous September 14, 2009

Sensipar (cinacalcet) for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism: "Seems to lower CA but the side effects are somewhat hard to deal with. Leg cramps, and twitching seems to be the worst of it. But there is only surgery as the other option."

327Frank September 10, 2009