User Reviews for Cinacalcet to treat Secondary Hyperparathyroidism

Also known as: Sensipar

Cinacalcet has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Secondary Hyperparathyroidism. 44% of those users who reviewed Cinacalcet reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Cinacalcet Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Secondary Hyperparathyroidism.

Marty · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2018

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “Pain in legs, knees , and shoulders. Also too expensive. I ceased use of this drug.”

Rob981234 September 3, 2015

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “Abnormal dreams and bothersome while taking sensipar. I have difficulty sleeping . Bad dreams stop and return to normal if I skip the dose”

Hal1999 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 21, 2014

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “Sensipar has worked well for me. Five plus year dialysis patient. Unfortunately being forced from private insurance to Medicare Part D with supplementary Part D private supplemental plan. Cost of Sensipar and it's cumulative dollar cost along with all my other medications places me into the Part D donut hole almost immediately. Manufacturers patient support plan (which was wonderful when I had private insurance) stops when I transfer to Medicare Part D. There appears to be nothing for Medicare Part D patients from manufacturers. I don't understand why but these are just the facts. Bottom line is that while Sensipar works effectively it is classified as a Tier 3 and is priced prohibitively.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2012

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “I'm a senior with a low fixed income. I am ever so grateful to the Sensipar assistance program. I have very high calcium levels and this medicine has cut it in half, I used to get very disoriented, confused, overwhelmed but now with this medicine I feel close to normal. I have had a great experience with this medicine and have experienced no side effects. ”

Annie1441 · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2012

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “I have severe bone pain in my legs and frequent bowel movements up to fifteen times per day. Parathyroid scan showed nothing abnormal. After taking Sensipar only three days I saw marked improvement. After 28 day trial, pain in the legs is 80% improved, (am a multiply operated spine patient so did not expect 100%). Bowel movements are more normal and once per day as they should be. This shows with just one month of treatment, that I do have parathyroid disease that was not picked up on scans. Now I can pursue treatment through surgery.”

Anonymous September 14, 2009

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “I experienced severe leg cramps almost immediately upon taking this medication and whatever else it may have been doing for me. I could not tolerate the cramps which even interfered with my ability to sleep, walk, drive or climb stairs.”

TFR June 8, 2011

“I've been on cinacalcet for five years, two while on dialysis (I was on dialysis for five and a half years) and three post-kidney transplant. While it does reduce my blood calcium levels, my biggest complaint is tiredness, especially right after I take it, which is with food at dinner. I was once at 90 mg a day, now down to 60 mg, and hoping to reduce to 30 mg because of the terrible tiredness. By the way, post-transplant I've been able to eat high levels of calcium and phosphorous (dairy, nuts, sardines etc) and that has enabled me to be able to lower the amount of cinacalcet I take by signalling to the parathyroid that I have adequate amounts of calcium in my blood. ”

327Frank September 10, 2009

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “Seems to lower CA but the side effects are somewhat hard to deal with. Leg cramps, and twitching seems to be the worst of it. But there is only surgery as the other option.”

Spike5 July 22, 2010

Sensipar (cinacalcet): “I took this drug and had no side effects. On the other hand, it didn't reduce my blood calcium levels.”