Rogaine Disease Interactions
There is 1 disease interaction with Rogaine (minoxidil topical).
Minoxidil topical (applies to Rogaine) systemic effects
Moderate Potential Hazard, Low plausibility. Applicable conditions: Congestive Heart Failure, Fluid Retention, Sunburn, Arrhythmias, Ischemic Heart Disease
In general, topically applied minoxidil is poorly absorbed from the normal, intact scalp. However, alteration in scalp epidermal integrity (e.g., abrasion, sunburn, psoriasis) can increase percutaneous absorption with resultant systemic effects, including sodium and water retention, local or generalized edema, pericardial effusion, pericarditis, tamponade, tachycardia, and worsening or development of angina. Therapy with minoxidil should be avoided in patients with diminished or altered scalp integrity that may lead to enhanced systemic absorption, particularly in the presence of underlying cardiovascular dysfunction or fluid retention.
- Leenen FH, Smith DL, Unger WP "Topical minoxidil: cardiac effects in bald men." Br J Clin Pharmacol 26 (1988): 481-5
- Woodside J Jr, Garner L, Beford RF, et al. "Captopril reduces the dose requirement for sodium nitroprusside induced hypotension." Anesthesiology 60 (1984): 413-7
- Whitmore SE, Wigley FM, Wise RA "Acute effect of topical minoxidil on digital blood flow in patients with raynaud's phenomenon." J Rheumatol 22 (1995): 50-4
- "PDR Generics." Montvale, NJ: Medical Economics (1995):
Rogaine drug interactions
There are 37 drug interactions with Rogaine (minoxidil topical).
More about Rogaine (minoxidil topical)
- Rogaine consumer information
- Check interactions
- Reviews (50)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
- En español
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.