User Reviews for Rogaine to treat Alopecia

Rogaine has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 31 ratings for the treatment of Alopecia. 32% of those users who reviewed Rogaine reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Rogaine Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Alopecia.

Reviews for Rogaine

pdthorne June 17, 2021

“Yes, Rogaine might make hair thinner faster, it might thin the hairline, it might addict otherwise healthy follicles. For me it caused more hair loss in 7 months than in the last 20yrs. I'm 50yr old man who had 80-90% of the hair I had in my 20's. I had very slight thinning / recession and used it as a preventative measure vs seeking regrowth, big mistake. It shed my hairline and thickness through the sides of my scalp. Everywhere I applied it. I got the shed but no regrowth. I quit after 7 months of use and continued to shed for the next 12 months. I do believe Rogaine works for some (likely younger) but yes it can also do damage if you are a non responder to the medication. Do your research. It should not be sold over the counter if it has the potential to do the opposite of what it promises. The biggest lie out there...'only the hair regrown by Rogaine will fall out after you stop using it'. It did a lot of damage to my existing hair and I know now it will never recover.”

Anne May 9, 2021

“I tried this two different times - once for only three months but another time for around 8-9 months. It did absolutely nothing for me.”

Lizzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2021

“I am yet to find out why my hair started falling out but fall out it did, bit by bit until I was bald. I am 72 and originally had a full head of near shoulder length fair/blondish hair (coloured by hairdresser). I have used Regain every day at 12 noon for 3 months and Novasone every night at 6pm. I now have a full head of hair half an inch long, some dark the rest grey but it's still hair. I wear a wig when I go out. I will never get it coloured again but I would like to know, if there's anyone out there with the same problem, if I stop the Regain and use it every 2nd or 3rd day will I go bald again. It is expensive for pensioners and if you know of an alternative I would really appreciate hearing from you. How you use it and your results. Thank you to those of you that read this and have any ideas for me”

JerryComedian · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 20, 2014

“I bought a 3 month supply and used it as directed. I got a buzz cut before I started applying Rogaine so all my new hair could grow with the old hair. After 6 months, my hair was fuller, thicker, and my bald spot was filled in with my own, NEW hair. I felt like a new man. Then, I stopped using Rogaine, (because I had new hair growth & was satisfied), and within a few months, all my NEW hair (and then some) fell out in the shower, combing & brushing my hair, and regular daily activities. Now, I've decided to lose my hair with grace. Rogaine WORKS, but DON'T STOP USING IT OR YOUR HAIR WILL FALL OUT!!”

Bri · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2020

“I’m a woman. 26 years of age. I had very minor shedding my doctor recommended me trying minoxidil. I did use it and ever since I used it all my hair fell out. It went from something very unnoticeable to me paying thousands of dollars trying to get my hair back. Minoxidil destroyed my hair. The doctor said give it time it will work. I gave it one year and my hair is completely ruined.”

Mike August 20, 2019

“When I would go to the beach the top of my scalp got sunburned and my hair just felt thinner overall when I washed it. When I would get a haircut and the barber would wet my hair you could clearly see my scalp. Became extremely self conscious. Heard about 5% Rogaine and saw a generic brand (Kirkland) advertised so I decided to make the commitment and order a 6 month supply of the liquid formula. I've had no side effects. I am happy to report that ALL of my hair is growing back after 4 1/2 months of being on it. My hair is feeling and looking thick like it did years ago. I have a ton of new hair across my hairline in the front where it was thin and receding and at the crown. I'm actually shocked at how much hair in 4.5 months has grown in. I use it faithfully morning and night and in the 4 1/2 months have not missed a day. I can't wait to see the results in 12 months. I know that everyone is different but this has made an enormous difference in the way my hair looks and feels.”

Anonymous October 12, 2013

“This will work if you are patient. I kept on losing my hair until I tried Rogaine. It was the only thing that saved me from losing most of my hair. I was hesitant to use this at first and did not see signs of regrowth until 7 months. I kept on using this product and all my hair grew back in. I can only suggest you try this, I know how hard it is to look in the mirror everyday and see more and more hair loss. Using Rogaine brought not only back my hair but my self confidence.”

lee k June 12, 2008

“This product brought new growth. It took a little while but have regrown hair back and front. I was having great anxiety over hair loss because I am only 22, however I feel so much better and look like my old self again. Would recommend.”

bald · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 25, 2020

“Was prescribed minoxidil in my early 20s, used it for a couple of years. Did not seem to do much. As soon as I stopped it, which was due to heart palpitations (side effects), I started shedding HEAVILY. Rogaine made me lose my hair faster than I otherwise would have. I'd say never start on this, cause if you stop (and it's likely you will), your hair will become dependent on this drug and fall out rapidly. It's created a diffuse pattern of thinning, so bad the doctor says nothing can be done now.”

Anonymous July 28, 2019

“I had slight thinning of my hair, nothing serious. The dermatologist suggested I try Rogaine. Big mistake. The places I put Rogaine kept on getting worse and worse. It made the shedding worse and created bald spots. I knew to expect some extra shedding in the beginning but never to the extent it is now. It ruined my hair and I’m scared I’ll never get it back. Please only use if it is a last resort.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2019

“I do not recommend this product to use for a thinning widows peak i reckon the stuff actually gave me alopecia and I know this for a fact because all the areas I started using rogaine are now the spots I have big bald patches. I sought rogaine to help save my hair and instead it has destroyed it. I may never get my follicles back again.”

John · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 9, 2020

“Ok so Rogaine gets a lot of hate because people claim that it increases hairloss. Which yes it does! However the shedding early on is a normal part of the hair strengthening process and it will regrow, and likely as stronger and thicker hair. But you have to be patient with it. Don't give up after a couple months because it feels like you've lost hair. It takes time and many people quit at the first sign of hair shedding. For Androgenetic alopecia it can be very helpful. Granted not as beneficial as finasteride or other topical agents. (In conjunction very useful) However it will almost certainly result in some growth as long as you have living follicles. Derma rolling can help increase the absorption and therefore increase results from Rogaine. I noticed new hair growth in the first 2 months. They started out small, but over time they grew darker, thicker and longer. It works! But you must keep using it for results or the hairs will fall.”

Carmen March 7, 2021

“I used Rogaine religiously for 2.5 years. Huge mistake. My hair was falling out in the front but it wasn’t severe.The area where I applied it somewhat stopped falling out but in it’s place grew short, fuzzy, hair that was significantly thinner than the rest of my hair. I stopped using Rogaine. All the new hair fell off and now after 2 years since using I have little hairs that won’t grow any longer than two inches and are noticeably thinner than the areas where I didn’t apply it. It ruined my hair! I’m a 47 y/o woman.”

30 yrs old September 13, 2015

“I have been using rogaine foam for 4 months. It is unbelievable how much this stuff has worked for me, it took 4 months to really be able to tell. I use twice a day. I had thin hair all over and have applied all over my scalp and in most places it is now a little bit thicker. I wear my hat less. Slowly gaining confidence back, I'm excited everyday when I wake up to see a fuller head of hair rather then cringing at the mirror first thing in the morning.”

Duvo May 3, 2017

“What a nightmare this has been for me. After 3 months of using rogaine, my desire to have sex has gradually dissappeared. It has been 2 months since I stopped it and nothing has changed. This side effect is not even listed as a possible reaction. And how long has this been on the market? I simply cannot believe that this poison has not been removed from the market or asexuality mentioned as a possible outcome of this. I have no idea when I will recover and if I will recover. I'm seeing a dermatologist soon. I hope he doesn't simply tell me that this is all in my head or not related to rogaine because he will not like my reaction. I am terrified...I don't know what to do about this. I plan on contacting lawyer about this”

mrlj · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2019

“Has anyone experienced the growth of FACIAL HAIR? I have been using Rogaine for almost 2 months now. The hair loss has improved a little (I am still losing it but less than before), I know it's a slow process, and I am willing to continue, but after about 1 month, I have noticed some hair growth on my cheekbones and temples and on my chin! I am a female in my mid sixties.”

Blue · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“Hi so I bought a 3month supply of minoxidil which is a mistake should have tried 1 bottle.. I kept shedding hair whenever I applied it..my hand will be covered with hair this was too scary so I stopped it...its ok if I lost the money but not MY HAIR”

Optomist · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 27, 2019

“Always had very fine fair hair, started to thin in late thirties, became quite noticeable early sixties. Doctor suggested Rogaine for women, once a day foam. Within 3 months had noticeable improvement, new fine hair covered bare spot in front. No side effects, no itching. Good product and reasonable cost.”

Scorp077 February 26, 2016

“I noticed after I had finished my chemo and got rid of my hep c type 6c . I started seeing lots of hair on the bathroom floor after blow drying. It was coming out in droves, mainly from the front and sides . This was in 2012, sep My hairline was receding, I started getting bald spots in the front and sides. I also noticed that my hair was very weak.I started using Rogain 2012 I saw an advertisement about Rogine for men. I was 63 at the time . Before my chemo I had lots of hair. When I picked up the box I read on the box that it will not grow hair on the frontal lob. I said to myself this will work, the same way I said about my chemo. Well it did work front and sides. Made my hair stronger too”

Larrynorogainworks December 9, 2016

“I used it for 8 years and I still kept losing hair. If it is good why are there so many movie stars that are bald? For those that it does not grow hair for will be told you are one of those 20% that does not work.”

Flgal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2019

“After a few months I definitely had hair growth. I put it on in the bald spots. Guess what? The bald spots grow courser, nasty, tough to style, thick, curly hair. Now the sides of my face have that nasty hair, along with the crown line. I'm going to stop using it. I would rather have sending hair then clown hair”

tom hellmue November 25, 2009

“I started treatment 6 months ago and have been rubbing this on my head twice daily. I have new hair growing on the top of my head and it is noticeable although it is very thin (partly because I'm blond). As for the front right and left I can see white peach fuzz. Overall for me and I stress me the cost vs results are unbalanced. I would recommend for others, as it does work but, takes a long time and is costly.”

TRMD · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 7, 2020

“If you're suffering with androgenic alopecia or another form of hair loss then DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF. I have been using minoxidil 5% (the active ingredient in Rogaine and all that's happened is I've lost too much money and too much hair. This is because I stopped using it for a week by accident and as a result my hairline shot up higher than it ever had, and when I read about how 2x a day isn't necessary I cut down my usage which resulted in another fairly immediate loss of hair. Now I have to style my hair in a specific way and even that doesn't adequately cover up my patches of baldness. This product has not grown a single new hair for me and is nothing but a scam. It was also proven to be as effective as rosemary oil in a study but without the side effects. I wish I had never bought this awful product.”

Slimlatin March 26, 2017

“I have been using rogaine for almost a year now for my stress related hair loss and it took a while to get any results. I didn't see much until the fourth month and at that time it was little fuzzy baby hairs along the hairline. Now at 11 months my hair has grown about an inch. It's a slow process but you will see results. My problem is the price. Its cheaper to get it at the store then online, but you have to be vigilant and look around for the lowest price (time consuming) ”

Flash September 24, 2019

“I started using minoxidil in my 40s when it was prescription only. I still had pretty much a full head of hair then and still do at 73. I have always used it on my temples and vortex and both have stayed the same. I have friends with more hair loss who used it with little success. My conclusion is if you start using it at the first noticeable sign, you can possibly have a good outcome. If it's pretty much gone, don't waste your money.”

JMC41996 July 30, 2017

“I started Rogaine and Propecia about a year ago. I apply Rogaine 2x a day morning and night. I have noticed thickening of my hair and I do have a 6 month before and after picture my dermatologist took. She said I am her "poster child" for this treatment... we were both very excited! I have absolutely no noticeable side effects from either medication. Sex drive is the same as it was before medication. I also use Regenpure DR, NT, and conditioner. I wash my hair once daily as it is needed because the Rogaine foam creates a stiffness of my hair (like gel would if applied) and I have a problem w/ dandruff. My dermatologist prescribed me triamcinolone acetonide lotion to help with itchiness which I apply with a Qtip. (1/2)”

Anonymous January 29, 2011

“Did not work well in the spots where I rubbed, but noticed extra rapid growth of facial hair, nose hair, eye brows and ear hair. A few unpigmented hairs grew on hairline where it was one full, but they were not very strong/healthy. ”

User 2525 March 11, 2017

“I used a little more than recommended to cover all thinning areas.maybe 75% of the cap each time. For the first few weeks there was shedding and then growth of hair throughout scalp (crown and most of top scalp) at month 3 to 4 of usage but at same time (month 3 to 4 of usage) , I experienced extremely low libido. I have completely stopped the medication for 3 weeks now and I think I am recovering. Thanks.”

Learn more about Alopecia