Commonly used brand name(s)
In the U.S.
- Cubicin RF
Available Dosage Forms:
- Powder for Solution
Therapeutic Class: Antibiotic
Uses For daptomycin
Daptomycin injection is used to treat complicated skin and skin structure infections (cSSSI). It is also used to treat infections in the bloodstream, including right-sided infective endocarditis.
Daptomycin belongs to the class of medicines known as antibiotics. It works by killing bacteria or preventing their growth. However, daptomycin will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
daptomycin is available only with your doctor's prescription.
Before Using daptomycin
In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For daptomycin, the following should be considered:
Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to daptomycin or any other medicines. Also tell your health care professional if you have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals. For non-prescription products, read the label or package ingredients carefully.
Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated pediatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of daptomycin injection to treat cSSSI in children. However, safety and efficacy have not been established in children with cSSSI younger than 1 year of age, and in children with infections in the bloodstream.
Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated geriatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of daptomycin injection in the elderly. However, elderly patients are more likely to have increased unwanted side effects, which may require caution in patients receiving daptomycin injection.
|All Trimesters||B||Animal studies have revealed no evidence of harm to the fetus, however, there are no adequate studies in pregnant women OR animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus.|
There are no adequate studies in women for determining infant risk when using this medication during breastfeeding. Weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks before taking this medication while breastfeeding.
Interactions with Medicines
Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. When you are receiving daptomycin, it is especially important that your healthcare professional know if you are taking any of the medicines listed below. The following interactions have been selected on the basis of their potential significance and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Using daptomycin with any of the following medicines is usually not recommended, but may be required in some cases. If both medicines are prescribed together, your doctor may change the dose or how often you use one or both of the medicines.
Interactions with Food/Tobacco/Alcohol
Certain medicines should not be used at or around the time of eating food or eating certain types of food since interactions may occur. Using alcohol or tobacco with certain medicines may also cause interactions to occur. Discuss with your healthcare professional the use of your medicine with food, alcohol, or tobacco.
Other Medical Problems
The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of daptomycin. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:
- Diarrhea or
- Muscle problems (eg, myopathy, rhabdomyolysis) or
- Nerve problems (eg, neuropathy)—Use with caution. May make these conditions worse.
- Kidney disease—Use with caution. The effects may be increased because of slower removal of the medicine from the body.
- Staphylococcus infection, persisting or relapsing—Patients with this condition should have repeated blood tests.
Proper Use of daptomycin
A nurse or other trained health professional will give you daptomycin. daptomycin is given through a needle placed in one of your veins. daptomycin is given slowly, so the needle will remain in place for about 2 minutes or 30 minutes.
To help clear up your infection completely, keep using daptomycin for the full time of treatment, even if you begin to feel better after a few days. Also, daptomycin works best when there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep the amount constant, you must receive daptomycin on a regular schedule.
Precautions While Using daptomycin
Your doctor will check your progress closely while you are receiving daptomycin. This will allow your doctor to see if the medicine is working properly and to decide if you should continue to receive it.
If your symptoms do not improve within a few days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
daptomycin may cause serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Call your doctor right away if you have a rash, itching, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing, or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth while you are using daptomycin.
Call your doctor right away if you develop chest pain, dry cough, fever, general feeling of tiredness or weakness, rapid breathing, trouble breathing, or skin rash after receiving daptomycin. These maybe symptoms of a serious condition called eosinophilic pneumonia.
Daptomycin injection may cause diarrhea, and in some cases it can be severe. It may occur 2 months or more after you stop receiving daptomycin. Do not take any medicine to treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor. If you have any questions or if mild diarrhea continues or gets worse, check with your doctor.
If you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness while receiving daptomycin, check with your doctor right away.
Check with your doctor right away if you are having burning, numbness, tingling, or painful sensations in the arms, hands, legs, or feet after receiving daptomycin. These could be symptoms of a condition called peripheral neuropathy.
Before you have any medical tests, tell the medical doctor in charge that you are receiving daptomycin. The results of some tests may be affected by daptomycin.
Do not take other medicines unless they have been discussed with your doctor. This especially includes prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicines and herbal or vitamin supplements.
daptomycin Side Effects
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur:More common
- Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- rapid weight gain
- tingling of the hands or feet
- unusual weight gain or loss
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- black, tarry stools
- bladder pain
- bloody or cloudy urine
- blurred vision
- chest pain or discomfort
- decreased frequency or amount of urine
- decreased urine output
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficult, burning, or painful urination
- dilated neck veins
- dry mouth
- extreme fatigue
- faintness or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast heartbeat
- frequent urge to urinate
- increased blood pressure
- increased thirst
- irregular breathing
- irregular heartbeat
- itching in the genital or other skin areas
- itching, pain, redness, swelling, tenderness, or warmth on the skin
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- mood changes
- muscle pain or cramps
- muscle twitching
- numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
- pale skin
- pounding in the ears
- rapid weight gain
- rapid, shallow breathing
- slow or fast heartbeat
- sore throat
- swelling of the face, fingers, ankles, or hands
- tightness in the chest
- troubled breathing with exertion
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- usual tiredness or weakness
- vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- weight gain
- Bleeding gums
- blood in the urine or stools
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- clay-colored stools
- dark urine
- difficulty with moving
- eye pain
- feeling of warmth
- feeling unusually cold
- general feeling of illness
- hives, itching, or rash
- increase in bone pain
- joint pain, stiffness, or swelling
- loss of appetite
- mood or mental changes
- muscle aching or cramping
- muscle spasms (tetany) or twitching
- no blood pressure or pulse
- pain in the joints
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- rapid or irregular heartbeat
- redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
- redness of the skin
- redness, blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
- skin rash, encrusted, scaly and oozing
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- stopping of heart
- swelling of the eyelids, face, lips, hands, or feet
- swollen glands
- swollen joints
- swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin
- troubled breathing or swallowing
- twitching, twisting, uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
- unpleasant breath odor
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- vomiting of blood
- yellow eyes or skin
- Abdominal or stomach cramps
- abdominal or stomach tenderness
- diarrhea, watery, and severe, which may also be bloody
- difficulty with swallowing
- dry cough
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- unusual weight loss
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site
- diarrhea, mild
- difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
- back pain
- blurred vision
- cold sweats
- cool, pale skin
- decreased appetite
- flushed, dry skin
- fruit-like breath odor
- increased hunger
- increased urination
- itching of the vagina or outside genitals
- lack or loss of strength
- limb pain
- pain during sexual intercourse
- slurred speech
- thick, white, curd-like vaginal discharge without odor or with mild odor
- trouble sleeping
- unexplained weight loss
- Acid or sour stomach
- bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
- change in taste
- continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
- excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- full feeling
- hearing loss
- pain or discomfort in the chest, upper stomach, or throat
- passing gas
- pressure in the stomach
- red, sore eyes
- seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- sensation of spinning
- sore mouth or tongue
- swelling of the abdominal or stomach area
- swelling or inflammation of the mouth
- white patches in the mouth or on the tongue
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
The information contained in the Truven Health Micromedex products as delivered by Drugs.com is intended as an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatment. It is not a substitute for a medical exam, nor does it replace the need for services provided by medical professionals. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before taking any prescription or over the counter drugs (including any herbal medicines or supplements) or following any treatment or regimen. Only your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for you.
The use of the Truven Health products is at your sole risk. These products are provided "AS IS" and "as available" for use, without warranties of any kind, either express or implied. Truven Health and Drugs.com make no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, reliability, timeliness, usefulness or completeness of any of the information contained in the products. Additionally, TRUVEN HEALTH MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE OPINIONS OR OTHER SERVICE OR DATA YOU MAY ACCESS, DOWNLOAD OR USE AS A RESULT OF USE OF THE THOMSON REUTERS HEALTHCARE PRODUCTS. ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED. Truven Health does not assume any responsibility or risk for your use of the Truven Health products.
Copyright 2017 Truven Health Analytics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
More about daptomycin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous antibiotics