User Reviews for Sevelamer to treat Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure

Also known as: Renvela, Renagel

Sevelamer has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure. 33% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 25% reported a negative experience.

Sevelamer rating summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure.

Reviews for Sevelamer

Robin Lee · Taken for 10 years or more · June 27, 2016

Renvela (sevelamer): “Works well at keeping my phosphorus down. I take two tablets with my average meals, I take three tablets if I eat an usually large meal. I also take one or two tablets with snacks. The only side affect I've experienced is constipation, I sometimes take a mild stool softener, not a big problem. All medications only work if taken as prescribed on a consistent basis. It's such a small thing to do for your health.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years · January 8, 2016

Renvela (sevelamer): “I have been taking these for about a year. Seems like one month they work and the next they don't. Even though I am eating the same food and same amount of pills. I seriously wonder if some months they are just sugar pills and not the real thing. I seriously question the quality.”

EarlJJs · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 21, 2016

Renagel (sevelamer): “EXPENSIVE at over $800 for a 30 day supply. Experienced diarrhea often taking 2 out of the recommended 3 pills a day. Lowered my Uric acid from 11.5 to 10.8. Brought my phosphorus levels down very well.”

Ginny · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 3, 2018

Renvela (sevelamer): “Found this to be extremely effective. Need more, but it is overpriced, and I cannot afford it, even with insurance. Why is this so expensive? As I cannot afford almost $300 for 90 day supply (on social security), I will fall back to using Tums, which costs less than $10 for a large container”

Hollywood · Taken for 1 to 2 years · June 28, 2019

“The medication works but I have severe diarrhea when I take them. The diarrhea limits my eating out and I constantly have to be near a restroom. It also impacts my sleeping each night. Again the medication works but for me the diarrhea is a definite negative.”

CKDMOM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 28, 2019

“The powder works great and encourages my daughter to eat. But our copay at $825 per month (3 packets per day) is astronomical. Coupons only work for name brand, which is much much more expensive. My 8 year old can not reasonably swallow the 800 mg pill, which is what she would need to take should she get the pill form, which from what I understand sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. Her calcium is too elevated to resort to calcium based medication. So we are stuck either risking further kidney damage or paying for her medication instead of the other medical bills we need to pay for. It’s price gouging in its most disgusting form. Shame on the company that makes this.”

Aramat M. · Taken for less than 1 month · July 21, 2021

“This medication caused extreme itching which was odd to me because it wasn’t listed as a side effect. Most renal failure patients are told high phosphorus in the body causes itching, but I wasn’t experiencing that until I started this medication. Another issue I had was the amount of fluid I had to drink to get the 2 pill dose down. Because I’ve had gastric sleeve I don’t have room to eat after I’d took the dose. My phosphorus also went up after starting the medication.”

stage 3 and holding · May 23, 2015

“Was very happy when generic sevelamer came out and it has helped keep me stable at stage 3. Now generic has been withdrawn and only renvela can be obtained but at much greater cost. I feel trapped having to take renvela or risk further kidney damage. Thanks FDA for helping manufacturer gouge me for more money!”

kalqlate · Taken for 1 to 2 years · June 16, 2015

“My weight is stable at 165 lbs., and my appetite is excellent. I take from 4 to 8 800 mg tablets with each meal, mainly determined by the size of the meal but also factoring in a very rough estimate of the meal's phosphorus content. By doing so, I have consistently had phosphorus levels within desired range for over a year without side effects. Without this medication, of course, high phosphorus with constant itching.”

Frank · Taken for less than 1 month · August 2, 2021

“I've been using Sevelamer for about 3 weeks along with Calcium Acetate. When I first started using it, I was a bit constipated, but now I'm experiencing loose stools, frequently. It always causes a bit of nausea, and sometimes I feel fatigued. I'm not sure if the fatigue is from dialysis or the drug. My only concern is the frequent bowel movements.”

Anonymous · November 19, 2009

Renvela (sevelamer): “Started with 2 now I'm up to 4 still no results.”

vic · Taken for 2 to 5 years · March 24, 2020

Renvela (sevelamer): “The side effect I get from Renvela is constipation”

sra113 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 19, 2017

Renvela (sevelamer): “I experienced too many side effects -- constant nausea, itching, & weight gain.”

Anonymous · May 12, 2015

Renvela (sevelamer): “Up to 4 with each meal. Center didn't believe I was taking them cause my phosphorus levels didn't go down. Better than chewable, if they worked better.”