User Reviews for Sevelamer to treat Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure

Also known as: Renvela, Renagel

Sevelamer has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure. 40% of those users who reviewed Sevelamer reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Sevelamer Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure.

vic · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 24, 2020

Renvela (sevelamer): “The side effect I get from Renvela is constipation”

Hollywood · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2019

“The medication works but I have severe diarrhea when I take them. The diarrhea limits my eating out and I constantly have to be near a restroom. It also impacts my sleeping each night. Again the medication works but for me the diarrhea is a definite negative.”

CKDMOM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 28, 2019

“The powder works great and encourages my daughter to eat. But our copay at $825 per month (3 packets per day) is astronomical. Coupons only work for name brand, which is much much more expensive. My 8 year old can not reasonably swallow the 800 mg pill, which is what she would need to take should she get the pill form, which from what I understand sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. Her calcium is too elevated to resort to calcium based medication. So we are stuck either risking further kidney damage or paying for her medication instead of the other medical bills we need to pay for. It’s price gouging in its most disgusting form. Shame on the company that makes this.”

Robin Lee · Taken for 10 years or more June 27, 2016

Renvela (sevelamer): “Works well at keeping my phosphorus down. I take two tablets with my average meals, I take three tablets if I eat an usually large meal. I also take one or two tablets with snacks. The only side affect I've experienced is constipation, I sometimes take a mild stool softener, not a big problem. All medications only work if taken as prescribed on a consistent basis. It's such a small thing to do for your health.”

EarlJJs · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2016

Renagel (sevelamer): “EXPENSIVE at over $800 for a 30 day supply. Experienced diarrhea often taking 2 out of the recommended 3 pills a day. Lowered my Uric acid from 11.5 to 10.8. Brought my phosphorus levels down very well.”

Ginny · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2018

Renvela (sevelamer): “Found this to be extremely effective. Need more, but it is overpriced, and I cannot afford it, even with insurance. Why is this so expensive? As I cannot afford almost $300 for 90 day supply (on social security), I will fall back to using Tums, which costs less than $10 for a large container”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2016

Renvela (sevelamer): “I have been taking these for about a year. Seems like one month they work and the next they don't. Even though I am eating the same food and same amount of pills. I seriously wonder if some months they are just sugar pills and not the real thing. I seriously question the quality.”

stage 3 and holding May 23, 2015

“Was very happy when generic sevelamer came out and it has helped keep me stable at stage 3. Now generic has been withdrawn and only renvela can be obtained but at much greater cost. I feel trapped having to take renvela or risk further kidney damage. Thanks FDA for helping manufacturer gouge me for more money!”

kalqlate · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 16, 2015

“My weight is stable at 165 lbs., and my appetite is excellent. I take from 4 to 8 800 mg tablets with each meal, mainly determined by the size of the meal but also factoring in a very rough estimate of the meal's phosphorus content. By doing so, I have consistently had phosphorus levels within desired range for over a year without side effects. Without this medication, of course, high phosphorus with constant itching.”

Anonymous November 19, 2009

Renvela (sevelamer): “Started with 2 now I'm up to 4 still no results.”

Anonymous May 12, 2015

Renvela (sevelamer): “Up to 4 with each meal. Center didn't believe I was taking them cause my phosphorus levels didn't go down. Better than chewable, if they worked better.”

sra113 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 19, 2017

Renvela (sevelamer): “I experienced too many side effects -- constant nausea, itching, & weight gain.”