User Reviews for Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray to treat Sore Throat

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray has an average rating of 3.7 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Sore Throat. 22% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 67% reported a negative effect.

Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray Rating Summary

3.7/10 average rating

Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Sore Throat.

Reviews for Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray

Mairie · Taken for 10 years or more January 12, 2019

“I have been using this spray for many years. I spray the back of my throat and swallow it cause I never seen where you are supposed to spit it out. A year ago I started getting a loud gurgling sound in my throat and had to hard swallow. Never put 2 and 2 together till I recently got a sore throat and sprayed it again then the gurgling started almost immediately. I didn't use any other product but this. I will never use it again. The part about spitting it out is not very visible and when you spray something into the back of your throat why would a person think they could spit it back out anyways. DO NOT USE THIS.”

Manolita February 12, 2018

“Phenol can be very dangerous and the hazards are not just those of a typical corrosive. The hazards of phenol are 2 fold. It is both a corrosive (can cause severe burns) and toxic (absorbed phenol acts as a systemic toxin). In one case, death resulted from ingestion of as little as 15 mL”

Alan · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2020

“I'm using Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray now for a chronic sore irrated throat. 5 sprays directly into the back of my throat with my head tilted back. Keep head back and gargle with it as long as you can. Blow a little of it up the back side of your nose while you're gargling. Once it touches your tongue, your mouth will start to produce saliva which is bad because it will either dilute or wash the medicine away....you want it on the affected area for as long as possible So keep spitting until your mouth remains empty. Seems to work better that way.”

Anonymous June 27, 2018

“I used this product once for a sore throat. After using it irritated and swelled the back of my throat and uvula and I have had no taste buds or sense of smell since. It has been 4 weeks now and I still cannot taste or smell since using this product.”

Quita · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2019

“I desperately wish this lasted longer. Other reviewers said this stuff is toxic if overused, but one spray every 2 hours doesn't last when the numbing itself may only last 10 minutes or less. Unfortunately, I use 3 sprays at a time and the numbing still doesn't last. I wish I had saved my money.”

Rudy6897 November 5, 2016

“I will personally attest to this,,, 33 years ago, as a teenager, I came home from school one day with a terrible sore throat - I squirted quite a bit of Chloraseptic into my throat and swallowed more than I should have. Within hours, I fell into, what I have described all these years later, as a coma-like state of awareness for a good majority of the rest of that week. I finally began to come out of that state 5 days later. It was never discussed with any doctor, so I just chalked it up to some freak of nature. I am, without a doubt, now assured the phenol ingredient was the cause to my negative reaction to swallowing the Chloraseptic!”

Vaati76 · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2018

“I have been using this since I was a kid and I loved it. It works great for mild sore throats and it works really well for Canker sours. It works to help provide temporary relief. Never had any issue or side effects from this.”

Lui September 26, 2018

“One side of the roof of my mouth got irritated after dental work. It hurts when I chew and try to ingest solid food. I've tried gargling with warm salt water, baking soda and water, apple cider vinegar and water, and most of the usual home remedies. Nothing was helping enough. I went to the local pharmacy to look for an antiseptic oral spray. So I bought a bottle of the spray. I researched its main ingredient: phenol. It said it was an analgesic (numbs pain) and that it has an antimicrobial effect, but it can also be a dangerous compound if ingested. I bought some. It seems to be working. I have only used it for a day so far. I'm making sure to spit out any liquid since I read that it can be caustic (toxic). I hope it is diluted a lot so that small amount I might ingest wont affect me. Good luck to all.”

Aem6389 December 12, 2017

“I frequently get strep throat and unfortunately feel it coming on again. I bought this spray needing ASAP relief and am extremely disappointed...it doesn't work. It barely numbs it for more than 2 minutes if that. Also I think I accidentally swallowed some...ugh. This was such a waste of $8. Save your money and buy a hot tea with honey.”

Areophile · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2017

“What is this? Phenol? Phenol doesn't "numb" anything. This is the weakest medicine of any kind. What happened to benzocaine? We want POWERFUL medicine that eliminates pain and lasts for a long time, not this worthless, useless snake oil.”

Cam · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2018

“I can tolerate most tinctures of various forms that taste gross if it means they are effective. I draw the line at this stuff.. it tastes SO bad like something I should definitely not have in my mouth. Never again. I will stick to the Chloraseptic lozenges with the benzocaine. This stuff helps a bit with the soreness but I'd rather have a sore throat than the taste of this garbage in my mouth. good luck!”

Eilan2017 · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2017

“It doesn't work. Waste of money. I should have gone for the generic brand. It said just one spray but I do 3 sprays and still doesn't work. I like the new flavor though but it says to spit out after 15 seconds. Sometimes I accidentally swallow some. Hope it's not dangerous.”

Lisa326 August 30, 2017

“Usually buy the generic version but ran out and couldn't find it, so bought this name brand one when the whole house had colds and sore throats, it sucks - it only numbs it for about 2-5min the generic works 100 times better. I'm mad I wasted my money. Lesson of the day stick with the generic when it comes to store bought cold medicines, same goes for dayquil or nyquil, they started taking the main ingredient that make them work out of the name brand ones because of stupid people abusing it, so now they don't work.”

Vito · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2019

“Either my tolerance to Chloraseptic grew super fast, or this stuff doesn’t work. It worked ok for the first little while, but then it became a joke. I spray it and it burns like anything making me think that the thing is working, but then the pain comes back momentarily. I even tried spraying it 3 times and even gargling and still just a temporary relief.”

Coco · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

“Horrible, taste bad, provides no relief and, does not make it clear on the bottle not to swallow it.”

Anonymous March 26, 2021

“We always swallowed this stuff as kids never had a problem now I'm freaking out... Because I sprayed like 6 sprays and swallowed and then decided to read the label.”

thtgg · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

“I love this stuff. I took ibuprofen every three hours every day until I finally got over the strep, but this spray was what helped my throat feel better. And it works immediately.”

Psh · Taken for 10 years or more August 6, 2019

“I have been using this product for 40+yrs, never had a problem”

Justme · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2019

“Not sure if this is actually making my sore throat worse in the long run.”

Learn more about Sore Throat