User Reviews for Trental to treat Intermittent Claudication

peter4911 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 4, 2015

“I have had significant leg pain for a long time. This medication took about 1-2 months to start working, but then it was great. I could run on the treadmill at much faster speeds and for much longer - when previously I'd have cramps. Also, standing stationary used to be painful after 5-10 minutes - but this also improved. The only problem is that this medication can cause anxiety and insomnia since it is derived from xanthine (chemical "cousin" of caffeine). This is listed as a rare side effect on the drug insert, but I have heard it is more common from my doctor. I was actually given this for Peyronie's disease (off-label), but it didn't do much for that. It is supposed to inhibit TGF-beta (a cytokine) - decreasing scar tissue.”

Anonymous July 4, 2011

“I experienced what is described as "blue/purple finger(s)" in my left hand. After an intensive vascular examination, this was determined to be caused by vascular spasms. After being prescribed Trental by my doctor. The blue/purple condition of my hand fingers returned to normal skin color in about two or three days. There were no noticeable side effects and when I stopped taking the medication, the condition did not return to "blue/purple" and to date remains a normal skin color.”

handyman31 March 20, 2010

“I found TRENTAL very helpful with my leg pain. Without it I can hardly walk. With other medicines if I take enough pain killers that I can walk I can hardly stay awake. Afraid to drive for any distance more than 20 miles.”

Learn more about Intermittent Claudication