User Reviews for Reglan to treat Gastroparesis

Reglan has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings for the treatment of Gastroparesis. 48% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Reglan Rating Summary

5.3/10 average rating

Compare all 3 medications used in the treatment of Gastroparesis.

Reviews for Reglan

Anonymous January 4, 2012

“For nearly three years, starting at age 18, I would get uncontrollable nausea and stomach pain for months at a time. I was told by four doctors that it was acid reflux and to learn to live with it. I was taking 40 mg of Nexium every day, but it got to a point where I never felt well anymore, I was constantly fatigued, I had no appetite, and I was becoming increasingly depressed. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis by my fifth doctor and she put me on Reglan. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I felt better than I had in years. I can't put into words how positively Reglan has changed my life. I've now been on it for a year and a half. I've never had any negative side effects nor has the effectiveness ever waned. Reglan is a blessing.”

Anonymous February 16, 2011

“After weeks of debating (and severe stomach pain/constipation/nausea caused by a mild case of gastroparesis), I finally decided to take Reglan. I was scared like the rest of you. But guess what? I'm still here and it's been about two weeks. It has helped me IMMENSELY. I'm pushing 29, so maybe I'm still in the "safe zone." I know there is a threat to older women, but if I had not taken Reglan, I'd still be the vegetable that I was, living off of noodles and potatoes. Thankfully, I have very close friends and family in the medical field and they assured me that the chances of the terrible side effects weren't as high as they may seem on the internet. It is a medicine prescribed daily and many people are pleased. (5mg 3x daily) Good luck!!”

gacsmom1 June 6, 2013

“Reglan has been a miracle for me. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and tried to control the symptoms through diet because I was worried about the potential side effects, but the nausea was debilitating. My doctor finally didn't give me a choice, he said I needed to be on Reglan as I was losing too much weight because I couldn't eat. I truly feel like a new person. Although I still have "spells" where the nausea comes back, it's not nearly as severe and is controllable with Zofran. I would recommend Reglan to anyone with gastroparesis!”

MRSDJMCW · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2014

“This is a follow up to my earlier unfavorable review. I experienced several negative effects due to a excess of serotonin, caused by my concommittant use of several anti-depressants. My Dr. adjusted my dosage to only 1/2 of a 5mg. tablet taken a few hours after my evening dinner, and did not eat again until breakfast the next morning. This reduced my negative effects to almost zero, while still maintaining the medicines efficacy. I am able to continue this dose EVERY OTHER evening with VERY favorable results! There has been a considerable reduction in the severe bloating, nausea, and inability to eat even a small meal. I am thrilled to finally feel normal again! I'm so happy I stuck with it, a simple dose adjustment has changed my life!!”

Mic · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2020

“Reglan along with zofran almost cured my nausea and allows me to eat! The Reglan is great because I can eat and not feel so nauseated I’m going to throw up half way through. Makes me feel as if I can work through full huge meals. For me those medications for Gastroparesis are 100/100”

Jayy85 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 19, 2021

“I have read all the reviews and they are terrifying to say the least but I suffer from gastroparesis and was put on this 3 x a day. I cut it back to basically only taking it whenever I start feeling "funky" (nausea, vomiting, etc.). It works fine for me. No side effects. Just take it when I need it which, controlled with diet I may take 5mg Reglan 3x a week. Works great for gastroparesis patients.”

amays74 August 1, 2011

“I have been taking Reglan 10mg doses for years. It has changed my life in a good way. It has controlled my gastroparesis completely. I was having to go to the E.R. for pain before I started Reglan. I take 4 a day. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I have had no side effects at all from this medicine except relief. I would recommend Reglan to anyone suffering from gastroparesis.”

Kimbot · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 27, 2012

“I found this medication extremely helpful when I was first diagnosed. I had to change my eating habits dramatically, so when I messed up or when the nausea flared up Reglan was great. I did find, like many other patients, that the side effects (anxiety for me) got worse over time. After about a year I felt I had learned how to manage my diet and stopped taking Reglan entirely. Reglan was a great tool in the beginning to help me figure out what eating habits worked, but now I manage everything through diet. I think that is very possible for others with gastroparesis, too. ”

Anonymous October 28, 2019

“I am a female in my mid 20's. I was given Reglan for issues related to previous abdominal surgery and gastroparesis. I only took it for about 2 days before I stopped. I felt extremely restless and couldn't stop sleeping but also was never comfortable enough to fully fall asleep. I also felt like I was in a psychotic episode that was never going to end. I was extremely irritated/agitated, very depressed and having suicidal thoughts, thought I needed to quit my job, and couldn't have a conversation with anyone. I know my doctor had no way of knowing how I would react to Reglan, and some people do well, but I think this is way too risky to be handing out.”

Flannelman · Taken for 10 years or more April 28, 2020

“Been on metoclopromide 10 mg (Generic replan)3x daily for over 10 years for GP. When I don’t take it my nausea is so bad I cannot eat. I cannot function without it. I have tried most common nausea meds, and it’s the only thing that helps! I’ve had developed the hand twitches from taking 10mg 3 times a day. But I found by taking a 1/2 pill every 4-6 hours keeps my nausea under control and no tremors”

Dee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 21, 2020

“I have gastroparesis due to what they think is Vegas nerve damage from funduplication in 2017, symptoms started 2 years later. I almost starved to death, it was the worst thing I've ever been through. Nothing they tried worked until Raglan. I was very scared to take it due to the stories I've heard, but It has saved my life!! It has helped me so much, I actually keep my food down and the horrible reflux is gone when taking Raglan. I'm so grateful for this medication. The only side effect I have experienced is vivid, sometimes bad dreams. I'll take the dreams over constant vomiting!”

annecoop February 11, 2010

“I now have Tardive Dyskinesia, no cure, no treatment. Parkinsonian side effects don't always go away. Reglan was good for Gastroparesis but has side effects. Don't take for more than 6 weeks or three months. It also now MUST warn the dangers of continuous use.”

loriann1 June 26, 2010

“This medicine is a blessing for me. I have gastric paresis and I also have Crohn's disease so I have had nausea. I have taken Reglan for a long time on and off and it is wonderful. I personally feel it gave me back my quality of life. If I feel sick or before I eat I take it and I do not get sick. I have had NO side effects. I just feel so much better. I feel normal again and I know other people who take this medicine and they feel better also. I usually take 3 - 5mg a day.. it depends .. sometimes I just take 1- 10mg a day.”

ks125 March 18, 2012

“I was on this medicine for about 2 weeks, and I had to quit taking it. My hands started shaking and I also developed a head and neck twitch. I also had a difficult time thinking, reacting and focusing. My vision was blurry and I often felt anxious. It didn't seem to help as much as it hurt. Now I have to wait to see if my ticks go away. ”

jmiguel June 14, 2010

“My doctor put me on 10 mg Reglan last week for suspected gastroparesis. I agree with others that the side effects definitely outweigh the potential benefits of this medicine. Within an hour of taking it, I become extremely drowsy/weak and wanting to go to sleep. I know that I would never be able to take this medicine before driving. Then last night, three hours after taking it, I began to hallucinate and was afraid to fall asleep. When I did fall asleep, I recall having weird dreams. So, I decided to stop taking Reglan.”

echitt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2020

“I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis back in May 2019 and was put on Erythromycin first. I still had early satiety, vomiting, severe nausea, and lack of appetite so my GI put me on Reglan. I take 5mg Reglan, 3x daily before meals and as needed for nausea & vomiting. I alternate Zofran, Phenergan, and Reglan constantly thru out the day so I can keep my nausea under control & vomiting to a minimum. I've been on Reglan for about 6 months and haven't been hospitalized for malnutrition, dehydration, vomiting or nausea since starting it. My GI hopes to eventually cut back on the amount of Reglan I take but so far, I've gained weight, can eat most days, and am able to keep food down. If you're struggling with Gastroparesis, I highly recommend Reglan. Oral & IV Reglan has saved my life & staved off any feeding tubes.”

Pinkie · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

“So to start I have Gastroparesis and wound up in the ER last week because of it and found out I’m pregnant. Because I’m pregnant they couldn’t give me the strong meds they usually do for my Gastroparesis and instead gave me Reglan. HUGE mistake!! Minutes after the administered it into my IV I felt anxious and jumpy like I was crawling out of my skin. I start screaming non stop like a psychopath and was hitting my self in the head and face over and over again uncontrollably. My husband had to sit behind me as restrain me to keep me from hurting myself. At one point he put his hand over my mouth to stop my loud screaming and I bit him. The doctor told me to just wait it out but after 30 minutes of going literally crazy they finally gave me some Benadryl. The Benadryl helped a lot and calmed me down, but I will NEVER take Reglan again and after reading all of the other stories on here I think it should just be banned.”

marg · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2018

“Went on Reglan 5 mg 4x day for severe vomiting and weight loss from gastroparesis. Initially started to feel relief after the first few days, after 5 days I was able to keep food down and ceased to vomit for the first time in months. By day 7 the Tardive Dyskinesia symptoms started with leg twitching, lip smacking, and neck immobility. Thankful the Dr. had told me that Benedryll was the antidote and the symptoms went away after a day. So annoyed that I experienced these side effects cause it WAS working for the gastroparesis, but not worth having a life long Tardive Dyskinesia.”

Msk July 12, 2021

“I have been given this med several times in a GI cocktail at the ER when having belly pain from gastroparesis, undiagnosed. I began feeling afraid as it entered my system; a need to remove the IV and get the med out of my body. I felt I was going to die. I wanted to escape, but also felt like I couldn't move. The ER's in my area give medicine and not check back in for an hour +, so I suffered alone while texting my SO how scared I was. Later, getting diagnosis of gastroparesis, this was prescribed to me and began taking nightly. It caused the same reaction and I couldn't sleep for fear if I closed my eyes I wouldn't wake. I held onto my SO's arm saying "I'm scared I will die if I fall asleep... please help..." I then realized it was the same med in the GI cocktail and I told my dr I couldn't cope with the side effects. There are other treatments available. Nobody has to suffer this med if they have this reaction. I still get anxiety when going to ER due to the traumatic experiences.”

Cjrich · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2019

“This drug should be taken off the market. Has a Black Box warning. Caused a constantly twitchy finger (tardive dyskinesia) after three pills. Took months for it to go away and left the finger permanently weak, sometimes this side effect is ongoing and irreversible”

Leslie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

“I was diagnosed with SMA [Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome ] syndrome. I had surgery to help correct it, but from years of being misdiagnosed because SMA is very rare in someone like me, my esophagus paid the price due to being obstructed for so many years. I have very little motility. My dr put me on Reglan following my surgery to aide with digestion. Shortly after taking it, I felt extreme fatigue. As the days went on, my anxiety level increased. I have never been a person with anxiety, so this was rare for me. I constantly had people asking me, "What's wrong". My thoughts were racing all the time. The only thing I could attribute it to was Reglan. I told my doctor, and he said to discontinue use. After a few days of being off the medication, I began to feel like myself again. If it works for you great, but if you are experiencing any of the things I mentioned I would quit taking the medicine.”

Baybeeboiz October 21, 2019

“Im on reglan right now for gastropersis and its working great for my stomach. I am shaking alot more and have restlessness especially in my legs also feeling a little more tense sometimes but its really helping with my stomach. Guess you have to weigh the effects vs. What its helping.”

Gg · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

“This stuff saved my life! I was unable to keep food down for months due to messing my body up from an eating disorder, and this turned me right around. I am so thrilled I found this medication. I'm not sure I could've recovered without it.”

type 1 diabetic male June 27, 2014

“Went to the hospital for uncontrollable nausea/vomiting and am Type 1 diabetic. By IV it made me restless, agitated, and my face felt slightly swollen but it along with some Zofran in-between stopped the vomiting. They diagnosed me with gastroparesis so now I take it 30 mins before I eat and once before bed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2015

“I have what has so far been categorized as gastroparesis-- and while it did help with my stomach pains after eating, I acquired a heavy restlessness that basically made it impossible to do anything. I could hardly focus my vision nonetheless my mind, and my muscles felt tense and restless, occasionally twitching. It was almost an anxiety level of antsy feelings that I sort of had to wait out. At least when in pain I can focus and actually do things (albeit with more effort), but with this I was useless.”

Learn more about Gastroparesis