User Reviews for Reglan

Reglan Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 3 medications used in the treatment of Gastroparesis.

Reviews for Reglan to treat Gastroparesis

"Worked like a dream for me"

Joan (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2018

"After zofran and phenergan stopped working I was given reglan 5mg for my gastroparesis. At first I was in love pretty much, I was able to eat things I haven't ate in years. I took it for about 4 weeks, I had terrible mood swings, stomach cramps, insomnia, and extreme fatigue. But I wasn't worried about it I was able to eat. I actually lost weight. Now all of a sudden it stopped working, I started getting severally bloated slowly then the nausea started. I wish it still worked. Even after my Dr upped my dose to 10mg it still stopped."

Shanny116 January 31, 2018

"4 years ago I was put in Reglan with little explanation of gastroparesis which seemed to go away. I am bipolar 2 and apparently it interacted with my psych meds. I was very agitated and angry to the point that I had to discontinue it. 18 months ago I was diagnosed Diabetic type 2 and now have gastroparesis. I need the Reglan bad! But I cannot rush the inter social aspects of hypomania, nor do I want to risk tardive dyskinesia or life threatening serotonin syndrome. Sad."

Katiedid2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2017

"For me Reglan was a blessing as it ended my nausea, pain, and vomiting caused by gastroparesis. I know that for some people it comes with severe side effects. I was put on it for long term use. After reading up on it, I learned that it is recommended to be used for no longer than 12 weeks as that is often long enough to control symptoms for the time without the risk of long term use. If symptoms reoccur a person can go back on it. This happened to me. I was off it and went back on it for a month and my symptoms again improved. Also, reading the reviews, I see that some of you have been diagnosed with gastroparesis by doctors suspecting it. There are tests that can give a definitive diagnosis so another problem is not missed."

haaackkj (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 11, 2017

"This medication can be dangerous but it works REALLY well. I used it to treat stomach motility. I've been admitted in the ER many times during flare ups (severe nausea/vomiting/no sleeping/misery that would last for days) and as soon as I would get it through and IV, I would feel so good! So it's a miracle drug when it comes to treating nausea/vomiting. I took only 10mg, because of the warnings and only took it at night and if I needed it (if I ate something that would not digest) It worked really well to manage gastroparesis. I started to function, gain weight, eat food. Then after 6 months I woke up one day and my speech was slurred, and I was losing fine motor control, couldn't write or text, so I had to stop taking it."

IJCE307 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2017

"I use metoclopramide for mild gastroparesis flare ups, as I've had Type 1 Diabetes for 27 years. It works wonders on moving food through my stomach! The only side effect I've had is tiredness after taking it, but it doesn't hit me all the time. When I take it before I eat I don't vomit or experience nausea. This is especially great since I love salad and I can't eat it without metoclopramide. Great drug! :-)"

T1Dstrong February 20, 2017

"I started this medication for Gastroparesis after 11 months of not being able to keep anything down. I noticed it helping after first two doses. I was so excited until the awful side effects started. Drowsiness to the point I couldn't function, severe stomach and back pain and bowel issues. I had to stop after 5 days in order to be able to take care of my family. So disappointed."

PepperPeanut January 3, 2016

"I have what has so far been categorized as gastroparesis-- and while it did help with my stomach pains after eating, I acquired a heavy restlessness that basically made it impossible to do anything. I could hardly focus my vision nonetheless my mind, and my muscles felt tense and restless, occasionally twitching. It was almost an anxiety level of antsy feelings that I sort of had to wait out. At least when in pain I can focus and actually do things (albeit with more effort), but with this I was useless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2015

"Went to the hospital for uncontrollable nausea/vomiting and am Type 1 diabetic. By IV it made me restless, agitated, and my face felt slightly swollen but it along with some Zofran in-between stopped the vomiting. They diagnosed me with gastroparesis so now I take it 30 mins before I eat and once before bed."

type 1 diabetic male June 27, 2014

"This is a follow up to my earlier unfavorable review. I experienced several negative effects due to a excess of serotonin, caused by my concommittant use of several anti-depressants. My Dr. adjusted my dosage to only 1/2 of a 5mg. tablet taken a few hours after my evening dinner, and did not eat again until breakfast the next morning. This reduced my negative effects to almost zero, while still maintaining the medicines efficacy. I am able to continue this dose EVERY OTHER evening with VERY favorable results! There has been a considerable reduction in the severe bloating, nausea, and inability to eat even a small meal. I am thrilled to finally feel normal again! I'm so happy I stuck with it, a simple dose adjustment has changed my life!!"

MRSDJMCW (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2014

"Reglan has been a miracle for me. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and tried to control the symptoms through diet because I was worried about the potential side effects, but the nausea was debilitating. My doctor finally didn't give me a choice, he said I needed to be on Reglan as I was losing too much weight because I couldn't eat. I truly feel like a new person. Although I still have "spells" where the nausea comes back, it's not nearly as severe and is controllable with Zofran. I would recommend Reglan to anyone with gastroparesis!"

gacsmom1 June 6, 2013

"I found this medication extremely helpful when I was first diagnosed. I had to change my eating habits dramatically, so when I messed up or when the nausea flared up Reglan was great. I did find, like many other patients, that the side effects (anxiety for me) got worse over time. After about a year I felt I had learned how to manage my diet and stopped taking Reglan entirely. Reglan was a great tool in the beginning to help me figure out what eating habits worked, but now I manage everything through diet. I think that is very possible for others with gastroparesis, too. "

Kimbot (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2012

"I was on this medicine for about 2 weeks, and I had to quit taking it. My hands started shaking and I also developed a head and neck twitch. I also had a difficult time thinking, reacting and focusing. My vision was blurry and I often felt anxious. It didn't seem to help as much as it hurt. Now I have to wait to see if my ticks go away. "

ks125 March 18, 2012

"For nearly three years, starting at age 18, I would get uncontrollable nausea and stomach pain for months at a time. I was told by four doctors that it was acid reflux and to learn to live with it. I was taking 40 mg of Nexium every day, but it got to a point where I never felt well anymore, I was constantly fatigued, I had no appetite, and I was becoming increasingly depressed. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis by my fifth doctor and she put me on Reglan. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I felt better than I had in years. I can't put into words how positively Reglan has changed my life. I've now been on it for a year and a half. I've never had any negative side effects nor has the effectiveness ever waned. Reglan is a blessing."

Anonymous January 4, 2012

"I have been taking Reglan 10mg doses for years. It has changed my life in a good way. It has controlled my gastroparesis completely. I was having to go to the E.R. for pain before I started Reglan. I take 4 a day. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I have had no side effects at all from this medicine except relief. I would recommend Reglan to anyone suffering from gastroparesis."

amays74 August 1, 2011

"After weeks of debating (and severe stomach pain/constipation/nausea caused by a mild case of gastroparesis), I finally decided to take Reglan. I was scared like the rest of you. But guess what? I'm still here and it's been about two weeks. It has helped me IMMENSELY. I'm pushing 29, so maybe I'm still in the "safe zone." I know there is a threat to older women, but if I had not taken Reglan, I'd still be the vegetable that I was, living off of noodles and potatoes. Thankfully, I have very close friends and family in the medical field and they assured me that the chances of the terrible side effects weren't as high as they may seem on the internet. It is a medicine prescribed daily and many people are pleased. (5mg 3x daily) Good luck!!"

Anonymous February 16, 2011

"This medicine is a blessing for me. I have gastric paresis and I also have Crohn's disease so I have had nausea. I have taken Reglan for a long time on and off and it is wonderful. I personally feel it gave me back my quality of life. If I feel sick or before I eat I take it and I do not get sick. I have had NO side effects. I just feel so much better. I feel normal again and I know other people who take this medicine and they feel better also. I usually take 3 - 5mg a day.. it depends .. sometimes I just take 1- 10mg a day."

loriann1 June 26, 2010

"My doctor put me on 10 mg Reglan last week for suspected gastroparesis. I agree with others that the side effects definitely outweigh the potential benefits of this medicine. Within an hour of taking it, I become extremely drowsy/weak and wanting to go to sleep. I know that I would never be able to take this medicine before driving. Then last night, three hours after taking it, I began to hallucinate and was afraid to fall asleep. When I did fall asleep, I recall having weird dreams. So, I decided to stop taking Reglan."

jmiguel June 14, 2010

"Side effects far outweigh any benefit from this medicine."

Anonymous June 1, 2010

"Side effects were not tolerated well."

rfoehl71 April 28, 2010

"I now have Tardive Dyskinesia, no cure, no treatment. Parkinsonian side effects don't always go away. Reglan was good for Gastroparesis but has side effects. Don't take for more than 6 weeks or three months. It also now MUST warn the dangers of continuous use."

annecoop February 11, 2010

"Didn't help with nausea, greatly intensified anger and depression. "

Jessie_Lou April 10, 2009

"Very good detailed information about this condition. I take Reglan for bloating and early feeling of fullness and it works. I also have diabetes so that contributes to my condition."

Anonymous March 26, 2009