User Reviews for Namenda to treat Alzheimer's Disease

Namenda Rating Summary

4.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Reviews for Namenda

Joey January 15, 2020

“Horrible drug! No help at all and they wanted my dad to take more! He just passed away from surgery complications but after being off it he was NORMAL. The doctor had him on so many meds, this being one along with Zoloft. These mind altering drugs are BAD! Also avoid Haldol. If you have a loved one PLEASE get them off these, I don't buy into these did wonders for my mom or dad, probably written by the drug companies reps. Watch the World News EVERY OTHER AD is a drug ad. The less you take the better. I'm sorry we gave these to my dad.”

bill January 3, 2020

“It was a wonderful drug for my mother, with dementia, at 77. They first prescribed Aricept, which caused nausea. Asking the doctor 'what other drug may work'? She recommended Nameda. It became a miracle. It did not rectify some of the mental losses, but she no longer experienced hallucinations (in jail; on a boat). It came at the end of the year when insurance wouldn't pay for the drug. So I waited for two weeks without drug to resume insurance at the first of the year. During this time she regressed mentally. As soon as I started it again, she improved-true testament. I was able to have my mom back for two years until stroke. I swear by Namenda for only my mother. I tell everyone. As with any drug, it may not work for others, but it was truly a God-send for my sweet mother. She and I were lucky.”

CT · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2019

“My sister has Moderate Frontal Lone Alzheimer’s. She was extremely agitated, angry and weepy. She was withdrawing into herself and had little awareness of her surroundings and had difficulty with dressing and toileting. Literally after the first day of Namenda 20mg it was like someone turned the lights on. It’s been 2 months now and she is aware and able to go for walks by herself; dress herself and play the piano. Her memory and executive function continue to be poor. Nothing short of a miracle. Not sure how long this will last.”

HippyJr · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2019

“My mother has taken aricept for 5 years. Dr. Added namenda immediately caused two falls. Broken shoulder then a broken wrist. This drug should not be used!”

Claire · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2018

“Three days in to this drug and find the condition worsening for mom dramatically”

Anonymous January 10, 2018

“My Dad took this medication and on the 7mg and 14mg did quite well. At first I thought it was a miracle drug. Being time released was wonderful but it was so dang expensive. Almost $220.00 for a two week supply. We got the generic from the VA which is not time released and it was awful. We took him off it and the hallucinations continue but at least they are friendly people.”

Ms. McKnight · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 11, 2017

“My mom has been on this medication for one year and her condition (Dementia) is getting worst. She's hallucinating, aggressive, and extremely confused. It's seems as if this medication is making things worst and speeding up the progress of the dementia. This drug should not be on the market. I will bring her to her Psychologist soon and I will be asking for this drug to be taken off her daily medication intake. Please say no to this drug.”

Daughterx · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2016

“My mother has taken Namenda twice now. The first time she was so confuse after a week I stopped giving it to her. She has gotten worse over the years and for some reason her doctor had given me a new prescription for the same medicine. I tried it for two days and saw my mother become extremely confused so I stop giving it to her. I don't know why he insisted on Namenda after I told him it didn't work the first time.”

Joe P. · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 9, 2016

“Wife has taken for 2 years, no improvement, steady decline in symptoms.”

SH carolina · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2015

“My mother has been taking it for one month and her dementia - which was mild - has gotten worse. She is confused and thinks that my brother lives with her. She was taking samples as she cannot afford the medicine”

carolelanier · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 25, 2015

“I have taken it for about 4-5 yes. I feel able to cope pretty well considering. I live by myself and manage to do most things. I still have memory issues, but so do most people. I have been fortunate not to have had adverse effects of any consequence.”

#1caregiver October 16, 2014

“My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period.”

Kerryokie August 10, 2013

“My mom is 94 we started her on this medication because she was confused to the point of argument mostly in the late afternoon till bed time. After 5 days of treatment she seamed to be worse starting when she wakes up. Not sure what to do except to call doctor on Monday to ask what we should do.”

KittensGma · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 26, 2013

“My mother has been taking Namenda for Alzheimer's for over a year now. She was first prescribed Aricept which made her more anxious/hyperactive & no noticeable positive impact. After 2 weeks of Namenda, there was noticeable improvement in her cognitive abilities. In fact, the light bulb finally went off & she realized she had Alzheimer's. She spent the next several days on the phone breaking the news to family and friends, who had known for over 2 years by that time. My opinion: Namenda keeps her in 2013 - in the present. Her logic, reasoning, problem-solving skills, short term memory, comprehension and communication skills are impaired from the disease, but she recognizes this and acknowledges her feelings of confusion.”

Anonymous April 6, 2012

“We started my Dad on Namenda and by day 2 he was more confused, lost and irritable than usual so my Mom stopped it. The Dr asked her to start again and the same day he experienced the same side effects so she stopped. Last week she decided to try it one more time to make sure. Dad was VERY confused and not easy to take care of. I guess he is just one of those people that can't take this medication. Too bad. It helps so many people.”

Anonymous February 18, 2012

“Mom has taken since 2007. Wish it was a time release medication. Too hard to get Alzheimer's patients to take medicines even once a day. It does help but may cause dehydration.”

daughterconcern January 16, 2012

“My mother has been treated with the Exelon (patch) for two years now. Last month she was changed to Namenda. She has become irritable, aggressive/depressed and more confused than before. We are asking the doctor to switch back to Exelon.”

berbil November 21, 2011

“My wife started with two a day in conjunction with Exelon patch ..was dizzy so went to one a day. After 8 months her short memory is worse so we want to go to the two a day routine.”

kalck August 31, 2010

“Patient exhibits no improvement after 12 months of supervised treatment.”

BDN JD May 20, 2009

“My Mother has taken Namenda since it was approved. I think it may help slow the neurological decline of a patient.”

Anonymous September 19, 2008

“After 2 years of taking Namenda at age 93 she is no worse. It may have helped by slowing down or stopping this terrible condition.”

Learn more about Alzheimer's Disease

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)