User Reviews for Namenda

Learn more about Namenda.

Namenda Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Reviews for Namenda to treat Alzheimer's Disease

"My mother has taken Namenda twice now. The first time she was so confuse after a week I stopped giving it to her. She has gotten worse over the years and for some reason her doctor had given me a new prescription for the same medicine. I tried it for two days and saw my mother become extremely confused so I stop giving it to her. I don't know why he insisted on Namenda after I told him it didn't work the first time."

Daughterx (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

"Wife has taken for 2 years, no improvement, steady decline in symptoms."

Joe P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2016

"My mother has been taking it for one month and her dementia - which was mild - has gotten worse. She is confused and thinks that my brother lives with her. She was taking samples as she cannot afford the medicine"

SH carolina (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"I have taken it for about 4-5 yes. I feel able to cope pretty well considering. I live by myself and manage to do most things. I still have memory issues, but so do most people. I have been fortunate not to have had adverse effects of any consequence."

carolelanier (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2015

"My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period."

#1caregiver October 16, 2014

"My mom is 94 we started her on this medication because she was confused to the point of argument mostly in the late afternoon till bed time. After 5 days of treatment she seamed to be worse starting when she wakes up. Not sure what to do except to call doctor on Monday to ask what we should do."

Kerryokie August 10, 2013

"My mother has been taking Namenda for Alzheimer's for over a year now. She was first prescribed Aricept which made her more anxious/hyperactive & no noticeable positive impact. After 2 weeks of Namenda, there was noticeable improvement in her cognitive abilities. In fact, the light bulb finally went off & she realized she had Alzheimer's. She spent the next several days on the phone breaking the news to family and friends, who had known for over 2 years by that time. My opinion: Namenda keeps her in 2013 - in the present. Her logic, reasoning, problem-solving skills, short term memory, comprehension and communication skills are impaired from the disease, but she recognizes this and acknowledges her feelings of confusion."

KittensGma (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"We started my Dad on Namenda and by day 2 he was more confused, lost and irritable than usual so my Mom stopped it. The Dr asked her to start again and the same day he experienced the same side effects so she stopped. Last week she decided to try it one more time to make sure. Dad was VERY confused and not easy to take care of. I guess he is just one of those people that can't take this medication. Too bad. It helps so many people."

Anonymous April 6, 2012

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Mom has taken since 2007. Wish it was a time release medication. Too hard to get Alzheimer's patients to take medicines even once a day. It does help but may cause dehydration."

Anonymous February 18, 2012

"My mother has been treated with the Exelon (patch) for two years now. Last month she was changed to Namenda. She has become irritable, aggressive/depressed and more confused than before. We are asking the doctor to switch back to Exelon."

daughterconcern January 16, 2012

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My wife started with two a day in conjunction with Exelon patch ..was dizzy so went to one a day. After 8 months her short memory is worse so we want to go to the two a day routine."

berbil November 21, 2011

"Patient exhibits no improvement after 12 months of supervised treatment."

kalck August 31, 2010

"My Mother has taken Namenda since it was approved. I think it may help slow the neurological decline of a patient."

BDN JD May 20, 2009

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After 2 years of taking Namenda at age 93 she is no worse. It may have helped by slowing down or stopping this terrible condition."

Anonymous September 19, 2008

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate