User Reviews for L-theanine

Dietary Supplementation

Summary of L-theanine reviews 8.0 35 reviews

Reviews for L-theanine

For Dietary Supplementation: "I've lived with anxiety my whole life, and in my 50s now, post menopausal, trying to reduce my tension and mood swings. Pharma made me too sleepy and had side effects, so I gave up on those in my late 30s. L-theanine was recommended by a pharmacist, and I've taken 100-200mg a day in the morning and it has worked wonders with my anxiety. It allows me to be calm enough to make cognitive changes and choices before I over-react. It has also helped with my foggy thinking, allowing me to focus. I noticed it in my dog's "calming chews" interestingly enough. Have also started giving it to an anxious teenager and it helps with focus. It taken only in morning, it may avoid the sleep issues that some have, but I've found that another 100mg might be needed in afternoon. I've had no sleep problems with it, but that could be because I usually only take in the morning."

Balanced Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "After four days taking L Theanine - drinking Matcha Tea lattes 1-2 a day- I had a seizure. I noticed I felt kind of unusual after drinking the Matcha tea, calm but also kind of amped up at the same time. I didn’t sleep well, and after a night where I hardly slept (had a matcha latte at 5pm). The next morning I had a series of absence seizures. I am fairly sure it was from the L theanine because I have since researched it, and learned that it decreases the threshold for certain types of seizures, and increases the threshold for other types. I should have discontinued it when I noticed it’s effect on my sleep and nervous system."

Laura (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "I had been taking 3mg melatonin for sleep, but wanted to cut back as it left me feeling somewhat drugged. I found a product that contains 1.5mg melatonin plus 100mg l-theanine in a chewable, gummy form. It’s been working great for me for about a week. I feel this combo “lets” me sleep vs. “puts” me to sleep. However, I’m not sure sure if it’s the level of melatonin, the l-theanine, or the combo that works so well for me, but I’ll continue with it for awhile."

Tracey (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "After one dose (100mg) I had severe chest and abdominal cramping. I tried 2 days later with more severe and more frequent surges of pain. Horrified with side effects that "are not even noted"."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "My holistic friend recommended this supplement to me after the passing of my Mom. I could not rest, & my emotions where off the charts! But after using this for couple of days along with 5 HTP I have been calmer and more in control of my emotions, without feeling all drugged up or walking around in a daze. I will continue to take both supplements to help manage my depression. I highly recommend both supplements."

Copsgirl (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "L-Theanine works as well as 1 mg xanax for restless leg syndrome."

California Red December 14, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I took L-theanine and it made me a little relaxed but it gave me heart palpitations. It didn't agree with me. I stopped it."

Michelle7171! November 3, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "Took one 200 mg pill with dinner, after an hour felt relaxed, my neck felt relaxed, tightness gone. However, I had the worst night sleep, woke up several times and finally at 2:30 am, gave up and got out of the bed. I definitely had a strange reaction to it. Won't be taking it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "Anxiety was so bad, [e.g.] I'd start to peel an onion, but was FRIGHTENED that I couldn't finish, so felt incapable of making the WHOLE meal! Mental fear about everything!! NOTE: I didn't eat healthy, nor was I motivated to exercise. I was on medication for app. 10 years but didn't want to forever. Tried natural remedies and mind exercises, but didn't do much for me. Then heard of L-THEANINE, researched, and bought some. 1 tab. p/d for 7-10+ days, before a tiny 'glimmer' of hope. Now 2 months later I feel okay -occasional bad day. I'm eating healthy now and exercising, which together, can HELP anxiety. L-theanine got me feeling well enough to take care of myself. I really hope it can kick-start you too, into getting better.♥ Pat"

Pat206 July 23, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I already drank green tea, and did not realize this was in my other multivitamin supplement. This made me SO dizzy after a few days I could not drive or barely think straight. It also caused extreme fatigue for me. I am only 46 and in good health/fit. I world have crashed a car if I had driven in the last 24 hours. Please be careful with this."

K Fen June 21, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "Relieves stress, calms your mind, helps you focus on your thoughts"

Avinger (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "Been recently suffering from anxiety attacks and don't want to use prescription meds so tried this out since it states no drowsiness! I've been taking it for 2 weeks now in the morning when I wake up and in the evening before bed. It has been great in calming me down and decreasing my shortness of breath! It takes about 15-20 minutes for it to start working for me. I will be taking this as a supplement from now on since it helps me to be alert and focused."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I have been having roughly 4 panic attacks daily for a month. I hate pharm. drugs so I tried this. Worked immediately!!!!! Within 20 mins I felt like I've never had anxiety in my life. This supplement is great!"

Ahab888 April 3, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I've always been a kind of anxious person but after years of alcohol abuse my anxiety hit the roof. I had anxiety for months on end and could find no relief. Eventually I had to start working out three times a day to actually get relief from anxiety. After days and days of researching I finally stumbled upon green tea and how can relax you. I started drinking gallons of green tea every day and start feeling a little bit less anxious. After a few weeks of doing this I decided to look into why green tea helped and found out it was L-theanine. I took these pills three times a day for three months and was finally able to breathe again. Greatest discovery ever!!! I highly recommend trying them."

Brian new man February 24, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I started taking this about two weeks ago for insomnia. It was combined with lavender oil as a natural sleep aid. It works for helping me to shut my brain off at night and fall asleep, but it caused severe dizzy spells and bad headaches. I also had some stomach upset. I hear that's a rare reaction, but just wanted users to be aware of the possibility. Today I had a dizzy spell so bad in the kitchen that I fell and hurt my hip. I am a 37 year old woman."

Shannan79 February 21, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "This works on my dog's anxiety, my anxiety and my college son's anxiety. We all get relief within 15 minutes of taking this. I actually found it orinally from my vet (expensive anti anxiety dog pill ingredients l theanine and meat flavoring). I keep buying tablets in the large foil bag on EBAY (the ones for humans not dogs!). It is better than an anti anxiety pill as there is no exhaustion or other side effects, just a calming feeling that allows you to relax a bit and think I buy a huge bag and that makes it cheap. The capsule form is more expensive"

mesaarizona (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I had great results. It enhanced my cognitive thinking and lessoned my memory loss. The only problem was it gave me an unbelievable body odor. I could smell it but not sure if anyone else could. No one mentioned me smelling bad. I had to stop taking them because I couldn't stand the odor. My girlfriend takes it to help her blood pressure, which the doctors couldn't seem to regulate."

PEP4600 December 30, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "I was considering talking to my doctor about my anxiety, then a friend suggested stress formula by sundown. I cant believe how well this works, for the money and not worrying about harmful side effects, this is the way to go for me!"

kalhoon (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "I have trouble turning off my brain as soon as the lights go off at bed time. I some times get only 4 hours of sleep. This melatonin plus 200gm L-theanime is helping me go to sleep and stay asleep. I am type 2 Diebetic and I have also noticed my blood sugar levels are much better."

Shutterbug78 (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "I have ptsd, generalized anxiety, and panic disorder from years of substance abuse which effect many facets of my health. I cannot handle stress well, my head is usually pulsing or aching, and I frequently get dizzy spells and feel lightheaded. I tried lexapro and it did not really make me feel well. It helped with anxiety and the panic attacks, but I felt emotionally flat and withdrawn from life. Since stopping the lexapro, I have resumed many of my previous daily symptoms associated with anxiety. I just started taking a liquid concentrate of l-theanine sublingually and it is nothing short of a miracle. My head is clear again and I can actually deal with my responsibilities. I feel like my life was given back to me. Highly recommended."

NateTGreat (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "So much better than Prozac or Zoloft. No side effects"

Bnaturelady (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "I have been perscibed just about every drug (Chemical) they have for anxiety and depression, after finding out about the benefits of L-Theanine I have been taking 200mg per day and I feel like I did before I knew depression ever existed! Amazingly my body is reacting very well to the supplement and has not experienced a withdrawal effect from no longer taking the xanax I love that its all natural it's like brain food I feel so Alive"

TT August 28, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "I took it for help falling asleep (insomnia) and it worked like a charm, however I have a very sour stomach this a.M. "

Rockymax44 August 10, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "Military Veteran suffering from ptsd, anxiety, and insomnia. I was skeptical at first, after taking 400mg per day I definitely notice a difference. Not a miracle happy pill, but takes the edge away, allows me to feel halfway normal in stressful situations. Helps take my stomach out of knots. Sleep a little better. Can't complain, will continue to take."

Dizz79 July 25, 2016

For Dietary Supplementation: "I have been taking this for about 6 months after being diagnosed with Generalized anxiety. This stuff is a lifesaver. I'm not worrying all the time and I can actually relax. Definitely worth trying!"

Rachel Lee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2016