User Reviews for L-theanine

Dietary Supplementation
7.1

Summary of L-theanine reviews 7.2 50 reviews

Reviews for L-theanine

For Dietary Supplementation: "I have had to rely on Xanax for the past 25 years, plus a beta blocker to fall asleep and stay asleep due to most likely an inherited genetic condition. However, in the past few weeks I’ve started taking L-theanine 100mg capsules) in the evenings after dinner to see if I could lower the intake of Xanax and/or not experience wakefulness in the very early morning hours (between 3am - 5 am). I started at the recommended dose of 100-200 mg and by the fourth day I took 600 mg - on the day that I took the 600 mg after dinner and before I take my beta blocker, I noticed a difference in my relaxation. Furthermore, I am taking 25% less Xanax. I slept very soundly through the night - also backed up by my smart watch sleep monitor - which indicated a 4.5-5.0 on the sleep quality scale (5 pt scale). I will continue to take the 600mg after dinner to help with my sleep disorder. I would love to be off benzodiazepines or at least lowering my dose by 50-75%."

Jinx342 April 1, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "I started L Thianine taking 200mg morning and evening. I have early dementia, it was like switching a light bulb on in my brain, it helped so much with my memory, word finding, alertness etc. However, within a week I started getting horrendous heartburn, really bad, and, quite severe pain in my stomach and my ribs felt like I'd been kicked in my ribcage. I couldn't touch one part of my stomach, I saw my Dr and was told I had a stomach ulcer, I've never suffered from heartburn before and it's a really weird kind. I was prescribed omeprazole, but I didn't take it, I suspected the L Thianine so stopped it, after a few days the pain went and my stomach healed up. I started it again, after 3 days pains came back, to be absolutely sure I stopped again and re started after pain stopped, same again pain returned! Horrendous bad vivid dreams as well, every night and headaches by day."

Fairy March 26, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "This raised my amalyse and lipaise levels to such a high level that my Dr ordered a CAT scan luckily for me the CAT scan came back fine. I stopped taking the supplement they redid my blood work two more times after discontinuing this supplement and my level started to return to normal kind of. This scared the crap out of me, that an over the counter supposedly safe medication would do something like that to your pancreas"

Stacey (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "After years of stress and trauma, became depressed and anxious with binge eating. Started Wellbutrin last April, and changed my job to better circumstances, stopped with further stress. Started having panic attacks, previous symptoms, additionally: fatigue, irritability, perimenopausal and low thyroid symptoms, rapid weight gain. Naturopath diagnosed adrenal fatigue, went off Wellbutrin (no issues), started L Theanine, 100 mg 2x a day, and a third before bed if I feel I need it, as well as Ashwagandha 2x a day. When stressed by events, I take 200 mg instead of 100mg, am overcome with a sense of calm and well being, like the first time I took it. Daily for over 2 weeks now, much better baseline anxiety level, wiped out my irritability, panic. That plus the Ashwagandha has given me my energy back and my sense of humor, ability to enjoy life, motivation. Binge eating us still a problem. Testing thyroid, hormone levels for further treatment."

Bunpoh (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "I take 200 mg before bed. Helps calm my mind and allows me to sleep longer and deeper."

Texan (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "Honestly this really isn’t as great as it seems. Yeah it will do it’s job and relax you, but to the point you start forgetting stuff. Being in weird moods. Your appetite will be different. Also my stomach has just been feeling full and heart burn happens easier then it did before. If I drink a beer or 2 it just feels like I’m so full and get a weird as feeling. Also makes you have even worse anxiety after you take it. As if it makes you feel okay but when it wears off or you don’t take it. You feel crazy. A tleast I did. I will no longer take this. I don’t recommend it, unless you want to feel not like your self. Don’t let it make you feel this is a thing that doesn’t have side effects because it does."

Myles February 18, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "Have been taking Xanax for sudden anxiety attacks for years but decided to try L-Theanine and have had very good results. I take 200 mgs 3x a day and am impressed with how well it works. Just to feel a calmness and helps me think clearly. I can focus and it stops the shaky hands and panic breathing. Also getting much much better sleep..was waking up every 2 hours with feeling of "dread"...no more. It did take about week of regular dosing to find my appropriate dose and get steady effect. I am glad I found it."

Goatmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "This really does help you be calm and focus, however it gives me severe insomnia. Even if I take it in the morning, I can't fall asleep that night. It's like my brain is completely wired on it and what little sleep I got was very restless. If you have insomnia, I would recommend testing this out on a day where you don't need to be up for anything the next morning."

BAM (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For Dietary Supplementation: "Tried l-theanine for my chronic insomnia. Just one pill taken a few hours before bed made me have crazy vivid dreams almost as soon as I fell asleep and I was awake again after only an hour but could not get back asleep, I already have exhausting dreams when I do sleep but this supplement seems to massively increases them even on the small dose I took. It may work for some to keep them asleep but it's not for me. I didn't realise it increased dreaming until I researched it the next day. Seems half of other people have the same reaction."

Paul85 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "I began taking this about 3 weeks ago as it had a lot of good reviews and seemed to be helpful for those with anxiety and social anxiety, which I have both of quite badly. I take 200mg daily, a few times I have doubled it and only one day did I feel slightly less anxious and by slightly less I mean barely any difference. I have not had any good results, it's like I'm not taking anything unless it's too soon to tell."

Egg girl (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "I am an adult male with generalized anxiety disorder, I have taken benzos and antidepressants but the side effects were not worth it. L-Theanine, while mild, is effective in reducing my anxiety and stress enough for me to not feel miserable every day and it also helps me sleep. I have never experienced a negative side effect from it and I have been taking it almost daily for several months."

Tedu53 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "Every time I use this supplement I have either an intense dream or a full-blown graphic, bloody NIGHTMARE. Night before last it was about a bloody body being dragged around and hidden in my house! This is a known side effect of this supplement. The other potential benefits, of lowering cortisol and helping me stay asleep are all great. However, if I feel gross all day remembering the feelings of these dreams, that's not helping me be less stressed or focused in the day."

Jimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "The first time I took 100mg of L-Theanine it made me feel spacy, tired and gave me a headache. It did calm me down, I felt my dopamine level rise, but overall feeling was somewhat uncomfortable. A lot of sources recommend to have coffee with it. I loved the combination. It made me feel happy, motivated and energetic, but that didn’t last long. In 5 hours I started to have a bad crash. I had jitters all over my body and my heart rate was very high. I took 50mg of L-Theanine to calm down but it didn’t feel the same the 2nd time, not the same mood and I felt cranky, but it relaxed me. Since I don’t feel right after a calm down, I take 5-HTP after. I also pair L-Theanine with 5-HTP for sleep and have happy dreams, sleep and wake up with a smile. I recommend that combination for people who suffer from depression. For those who suffer from anxiety, don’t have it with coffee and be careful with it, calm downs can be pleasant. Could be the brand too, get a quality brand."

NYgirl (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "Took this as I was suffering from Anxiety and wanted to avoid prescription medication. I took this before bed, felt little relaxed and slept well for 3 hours. Woke up after that and could never sleep after. Don't think this is right for me, so gave up"

Nathan (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "I don't feel anything or notice any difference from L- theanine."

dog (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "I've lived with anxiety my whole life, and in my 50s now, post menopausal, trying to reduce my tension and mood swings. Pharma made me too sleepy and had side effects, so I gave up on those in my late 30s. L-theanine was recommended by a pharmacist, and I've taken 100-200mg a day in the morning and it has worked wonders with my anxiety. It allows me to be calm enough to make cognitive changes and choices before I over-react. It has also helped with my foggy thinking, allowing me to focus. I noticed it in my dog's "calming chews" interestingly enough. Have also started giving it to an anxious teenager and it helps with focus. It taken only in morning, it may avoid the sleep issues that some have, but I've found that another 100mg might be needed in afternoon. I've had no sleep problems with it, but that could be because I usually only take in the morning."

Balanced Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "After four days taking L Theanine - drinking Matcha Tea lattes 1-2 a day- I had a seizure. I noticed I felt kind of unusual after drinking the Matcha tea, calm but also kind of amped up at the same time. I didn’t sleep well, and after a night where I hardly slept (had a matcha latte at 5pm). The next morning I had a series of absence seizures. I am fairly sure it was from the L theanine because I have since researched it, and learned that it decreases the threshold for certain types of seizures, and increases the threshold for other types. I should have discontinued it when I noticed it’s effect on my sleep and nervous system."

Laura (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "I had been taking 3mg melatonin for sleep, but wanted to cut back as it left me feeling somewhat drugged. I found a product that contains 1.5mg melatonin plus 100mg l-theanine in a chewable, gummy form. It’s been working great for me for about a week. I feel this combo “lets” me sleep vs. “puts” me to sleep. However, I’m not sure sure if it’s the level of melatonin, the l-theanine, or the combo that works so well for me, but I’ll continue with it for awhile."

Tracey (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "After one dose (100mg) I had severe chest and abdominal cramping. I tried 2 days later with more severe and more frequent surges of pain. Horrified with side effects that "are not even noted"."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "My holistic friend recommended this supplement to me after the passing of my Mom. I could not rest, & my emotions where off the charts! But after using this for couple of days along with 5 HTP I have been calmer and more in control of my emotions, without feeling all drugged up or walking around in a daze. I will continue to take both supplements to help manage my depression. I highly recommend both supplements."

Copsgirl (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

For Dietary Supplementation: "L-Theanine works as well as 1 mg xanax for restless leg syndrome."

California Red December 14, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I took L-theanine and it made me a little relaxed but it gave me heart palpitations. It didn't agree with me. I stopped it."

Michelle7171! November 3, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "Took one 200 mg pill with dinner, after an hour felt relaxed, my neck felt relaxed, tightness gone. However, I had the worst night sleep, woke up several times and finally at 2:30 am, gave up and got out of the bed. I definitely had a strange reaction to it. Won't be taking it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "Anxiety was so bad, [e.g.] I'd start to peel an onion, but was FRIGHTENED that I couldn't finish, so felt incapable of making the WHOLE meal! Mental fear about everything!! NOTE: I didn't eat healthy, nor was I motivated to exercise. I was on medication for app. 10 years but didn't want to forever. Tried natural remedies and mind exercises, but didn't do much for me. Then heard of L-THEANINE, researched, and bought some. 1 tab. p/d for 7-10+ days, before a tiny 'glimmer' of hope. Now 2 months later I feel okay -occasional bad day. I'm eating healthy now and exercising, which together, can HELP anxiety. L-theanine got me feeling well enough to take care of myself. I really hope it can kick-start you too, into getting better.♥ Pat"

Pat206 July 23, 2017

For Dietary Supplementation: "I already drank green tea, and did not realize this was in my other multivitamin supplement. This made me SO dizzy after a few days I could not drive or barely think straight. It also caused extreme fatigue for me. I am only 46 and in good health/fit. I world have crashed a car if I had driven in the last 24 hours. Please be careful with this."

K Fen June 21, 2017