User Reviews for Ketoconazole topical to treat Seborrheic Dermatitis

Also known as: Nizoral Shampoo, Nizoral Topical, Extina, Nizoral A-D, Kuric, Xolegel, Ketodan

Ketoconazole topical has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Ketoconazole topical Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis.

Reviews for Ketoconazole topical

Anony · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 1, 2020

“I've had Seborrheic Dermatitis for several years; it would come and go intermittently, sometimes mild, sometimes severe. A combination of ketoconazole 2% (Nizoral) and OTC hydrocortisone cream 1% would usually keep it at bay. This most recent outbreak was the worst of all. I let it go too long before resuming use of the two creams. The condition flared up strongly in both ears and one eyebrow. It was so bad, the creams didn't seem to have much success. After a bit of reading online, I decided to swab vinegar on the affected areas twice daily, thinking the acetic acid would kill any fungal cells on or near the skin surface. Mildly painful (briefly) on cracked or inflamed skin, but holy cow--what a change! After about a week, all three outbreaks had significantly subsided. This gave the creams a chance to get to work and succeed. The last outbreak is almost gone, 6 months later.”

nikatnite May 12, 2011

Nizoral Topical (ketoconazole): “Nizoral is purchased over the counter and is much cheaper than Cloborex. Most importantly, it works best for me as a shampoo. Cloborex, T-Gel, and Nizoral were all suggested by my dermatologist as options. I tried each for a month and went back to Nizoral. It's reliable and affordable. ”

Celeste · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2018

“Ketoconazol has drastically helped my seborrheic dermatitis, even after just the first use. I have the shampoo for my scalp and cream for my face, and I’m sure with continued use my flakes & redness will completely gone soon. The shampoo was 8$ and cream was 15$ (generic) but after my insurance it was more like 4$ and 2$. I would definitely recommend giving it a try, it comes in many different forms as well.”

Anonymous February 3, 2016

Xolegel (ketoconazole): “I received a Xologel perscription instead of my usual ketaconazole cream. I went to the local pharmacy and was shown a bill of $595. I laughed at the poor cashier, and said "no thanks". Called my dermatologist back and got a cream for $30. There is a program on their website where people can get the drug for only $10 on top of their co-pay if their insurance doesn't cover the drug. What this seems to imply, is that if your insurance won't pay, they will give it to you for what it is actually worth. A perfect example of the broken medical system and greed. The price of this drug has gone up over 400% in the last few years. Next time I see an Aqua box at my pharmacy it will be refused.”

Hairyman · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2020

“Amazing medicine. Got the 2% ketoconazole cream which cleared severe seborrheic dermatitis on my eyebrows and nose, which was bothering me for many months, within a few days. Used low potency corticosteroid as well. Also got the 2% keto shampoo which took around 2 days to clear my chronic dandruff. No side effects. Head and Shoulders and Selsun Blue did nothing for me compared to this shampoo. Now using every other day for the hair growth properties and to prevent infection from coming back.”

Anonymous June 11, 2008

Xolegel (ketoconazole): “The itching and scaling went away after one day of using this treatment. I am very pleased with this drug. I just hope that my condition doesn't become immune to it as it did with all the other OTC treatments I've used.”

itchysouseteatreeoil December 30, 2015

“Nizoral was the best shampoo on the market in relieving all the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis on the market. It was not cheap but relieved the itching, burning, pain, flaking and the smell associated with this scalp, ear and face skin condition. I am sure it is even more expensive with a prescription now. I had no side effects and used it for many years. Seborrheic dermatitis is not contagious but is passed down in the genes. My son is wondering why it was removed from the market also as he never had side effects after using it for years stating this was the best shampoo on the market very dissatisfied. I believe this is just another money thing in the USA.”

lisahutch57 · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2017

Xolegel (ketoconazole): “This is a wonderful medicine. It worked really well on the most stubborn fungal infection I've ever had. I had tried everything on the market and nothing would work until this. I'm not going to lie, this stuff burns like crazy. You will scream and cry because it burns that bad for about 10 minutes. Stick with it and you will get rid of the infection. After about the 4th day it quit burning when I used it - and finally, I got rid of the infection. It's expensive even with insurance but well worth the cost. They gave me a coupon to use and it brought the cost down to about $35.”

Katyann September 26, 2015

“I was told had severe seborreic dermatitis. Was told to use it for two months with another cream. Used it 3 days no difference. Dermitis is diaper rash. So I am trying a diaper rash treatment from a drug store. Only used 1 day and it's 45% better. Going to give it a try. Will report back later.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2017

Xolegel (ketoconazole): “After four months of thinking I had chronic dry skin on my face, I saw a dermatologist who diagnosed me with seborrheic dermatitis. He gave me a prescription for Xolegel. It is VERY expensive at over $800/tube, but my insurance brought it down to $100 and then a discount card from the manufacturer brought it down to only $10. In three days, the redness and scaling on my face were gone. I can't imagine not having this medication.”

Anonymous April 5, 2010

Xolegel (ketoconazole): “The symptoms were improved, but not to the extent mentioned by other reviewers of this product. The gel was prescribed for use twice a day but at the end of each day had redness, itching, and scaling again.”

amyzee · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2017

“I had a very oily Itchy scalp that was covered in yellow gunk that Shampoo would not remove. I tried nizoral which was fantastic at shifting the gunk and oil but four months later has done nothing for the itching. So I don't really know if it's seborrheic dermatitis anymore....!! It's slowly losing its effectiveness as times gone on. I don't think that Shampoo alone will fix any scalp condition, it's a holistic whole body approach that's needed.”

T · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2021

“Ketoconazole shampoo works great for my seborrheic dermatitis. It significantly reduced the frequency and the amount of dry skin that was flaking off my scalp and face. Very happy that I found something that works this well. Would definitely recommend giving it a try if you have seborrheic dermatitis.”

Anonymous April 9, 2008

Xolegel (ketoconazole): “Worked right away - overnight took away all redness and stopped ALL the itching... what a huge relief.... GREAT PRODUCT”

Anonymous March 16, 2012

“Doctors have been prescibing different creams for the better part of 20 years ,My first and new V.A. doctor prescribed Ketoconazole 2% cream and my skin rash went away.”

Anonymous July 20, 2009

Extina (ketoconazole): “Best product I have used. Easy to use and my seborrheic dermatitis has totally cleared up. Doesn't leave the skin greasy or oily.”

Anonymous December 2, 2009

Nizoral A-D (ketoconazole): “Did not work at all. ”

Tellita February 28, 2016

“Ketaconazole cream helped a lot for several years. Now I guess I've gotten immune to it. Is there anything else I could use?”

Learn more about Seborrheic Dermatitis