User Reviews for Ketoconazole topical to treat Dandruff

Also known as: Nizoral Shampoo, Nizoral Topical, Nizoral A-D, Ketodan, Kuric, Xolegel, Extina

Ketoconazole topical has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Dandruff. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Ketoconazole topical Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Dandruff.

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“I absolutely recommend this ketoconazole shampoo for anybody struggling with dandruff. Honestly I was struggling getting out of the house I didn't wanna go out cause my dandruff got to be so bad. And I already struggle with bad anxiety. I do not like being out in public. So I got sick of my itchy scalp and dandruff and finally looked up a good dermatologist around my area. So I was asking my doctor for a referral and she actually recommended this shampoo to me. She told me how good it is. And so I gave it a try and already second day of using this I can see a huge improvement of my hair. No more dandruff or itchy scalp!! I am so shocked by this. I have tried so many dandruff shampoos and none of them ever worked for me. But this right here is a miracle!! I just recommend using a good moisturizing conditioner with it as it was a little drying to me. But other than that I Highly recommend this!:)”

Anonymous April 25, 2015

Nizoral A-D (ketoconazole): “I have been struggling with severe dandruff for a little over 2 years and I have tried everything. From head and shoulders to selsun blue to even going to the dermatologist for a long time. Nothing worked. I finally stopped going to the dermatologist because they didn't help me. I found reviews on nizoral and decided to try it. I've only used it twice now and it's already pretty much gone. Flaking is gone, itching is gone and I love it. I highly recommend it to anyone out there who is struggling with dandruff/scalp problems! It works miracles!”

Lilly Hill March 11, 2018

Nizoral Shampoo (ketoconazole): “I'm from UK. I suffer with dandruff every time I'm going through a stressful time. I tried many products and shampoos with little success. FinaIly I tried Nizoral shampoo which is an anti fungal preparation for dandruff. It worked brilliantly. That's when I realised my stress- induced dandruff flare- ups were caused by a fungus. Presumably, the stress was affecting my immune system and therefore I was getting an over- growth of the fungus on my scalp, every time I was going through a stressful period. The nizoral kills the fungus and the dandruff goes away until I go through a period of stress again when the dandruff comes back. But I use Nizoral again and away the dandruff goes again. Of course, the nizoral deals with the symptoms (i.e. dandruff) and not the cause (i.e. stress) but hey, it works on the dandruff so it does the job it's meant to do. The only down side, I find it a bit expensive for such a tiny bottle of shampoo.”

luckyladysmom · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 14, 2017

Nizoral Shampoo (ketoconazole): “I used Nizoral for about 8 years. It was excellent for eliminating dandruff which was a bad problem. But about one year ago I started having severe itching on my upper back and upper front (chest) area. It was complete itching so severe that benadryl ointment (over the counter) for poison ivy relief and similar products were needed to calm the itchiness. Crazy itchiness! My dermatologist gave me steroid creams for the itching and I requested a biopsy to find out more. Inflammation showed. I decided to quit using Nizoral and finally the itching went away mostly. I use baby shampoo now followed by Head and Shoulders shampoo. So far so good. Be warned that you might develop an allergy to Nizoral or the generic years later.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2021

“I never knew my dandruff will go away until my pharmacist suggested I use ketoderm gel. Less than a month no more flaking and itching. Please if a ketoderm hair oil could come up that would be super great. The hair gets too dry after shampooing.”

Ricki lynn · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 14, 2017

“I used this shampoo and cream for 2 years now , what a great job it does for my face and my scalp ! My only problem is I have very long hair so they need to make bigger bottles because it takes a little more to get to my scalp ! As for the cream on my face it worked great at first but now I can tell it's not working as good but it still helps.Great product !”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2015

“I am using the ketaconazole 2% shampoo, my doctor prescribed it for my hair loss and dandruff so far my hair loss has increased, and the dandruff is gone. Now I'm worried about losing all of my hair.”

Anthony417 June 25, 2013

“I used Ketoconazole over the counter strength. The irritation subsided after a few applications and after a few months, my dandruff was gone.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

Nizoral Topical (ketoconazole): “Great”

Learn more about Dandruff