User Reviews for Itraconazole to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

Also known as: Sporanox, Tolsura, Onmel

Itraconazole has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail. 50% of those users who reviewed Itraconazole reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Itraconazole Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Kolin87 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2021

Sporanox (itraconazole): “Tried diflucan and terbinafine which ended up with me with vomiting and diarrhea and no success. Sporanox is a lifesaver. No side effects at all, feels like I'm eating a candy. I'm at 2 month treatment and I have to keep going cause I had some relapse but right know it seems its going away once for all! Let us hope!”

Ace · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2021

“I was put on this for toenail fugus after taking it for two weeks 200mg a day I had to stop the side affects are bad no interest in anything feeling sad crying tried so I don't know if it works or not had to stop the side effects are so bad”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

Sporanox (itraconazole): “I was prescribed sporanox to take as a pulse therapy for a toenail fungal infection. Day 1, was ok. Woke up at night thirsty and with a feeling of sand in my mouth. Day two, small cough and breathing not 100%. Day 3, the worst nightmare of my life. Let me just say, I'm a healthy young person, running around 80/miles a month in addition to regular gym sessions. My resting HR is 45. Never in my life have I had even a headache. That day, I was extremely tired, coughing, the strongest headache in my life, constantly thirsty, literally thought the next stage was dying. It's day 5 (I stopped on day 3) and I still feel a headache and the lymph nodes behind my ears hurt very much for the second day in a row. I can't move my head too much without hurting. If you're thinking of taking this for fungal infection in toes or fingers, consider a different therapy like laser options. It was too short of a therapy to see any effects, so I can't say if it would be effective, the side effects were too much.”

Anonymous August 9, 2009

Sporanox (itraconazole): “After a year on Sporanox, my badly infected and painful toenail grew out. Odd part is having the infected toenail and other, minor, medical conditions for 30 years; Sporanox cleared up many other conditions. The doctors said not possible, however, I know there is a connection. Heart arrhythmia, gone; non healing nose/anal fissures, gone; facial/scalp/pubic psoriasis plus mucus membrane inflammation gone for treatment duration, but back after year. A year later, the original nails were still clear, but different nail infected with peeling, scaly, skin across 1/3 of my foot. Strangely it didn't get worse. Back on Sporanox. Seems to be clearing both conditions. The returning problems above also vanished when restarting Sporanox.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

“I was prescribed this medication and I reacted badly to it. I took one dosage and shortly after my legs began to feel numb and tingly, and I was having troubles breathing. It was too strong of a medication for me.”

Bogeyman June 27, 2009

Sporanox (itraconazole): “One small nail had 100% infection while 2-3 other toes (including big toes) were slightly affected. After one month it was clear. Sporanox was very effective. Healthy nail growth was apparent. But I stopped using the medicine because of the side effects, namely the sense of abnormal heart and mental function (not unlike the effects of pseudoephedrine) together with headaches and tiredness. I tried Lamisil for one month and the improvement continued but I suffered from nausea, tiredness and occasional headaches. Now I have just started Diflucan.”

MikeRrr April 28, 2017

Sporanox (itraconazole): “Took sporanox for approximately seven months to cure complete infestation of toenail fungus (both feet/all toes). Sporanox had started to clear it all up when I ran out of the capsules. I was overseas and unable to get a refill. After stopping the medication for a period of time, the fungus returned to its previous state. Upon my return to the U.S. I did not pursue another Rx due to concerns over liver damage. But, if your liver is healthy and you can take it for an extended period of time, Sporanox seems to be a very effective cure. Much faster than topical meds I've used since then, although like I said soon after I stopped taking Sporanox the fungal infection returned to its previous state.”

Annette1980 September 19, 2009

“I took one course of itraconazole (pulse therapy, 400mg/day during 1 week), after being unsuccessfully treated for onychomycosis of my 5th foot nail (I had it for years). So, since terbinafine didn't help, I decided to use this one, as my doctor advised. Now I have my new nail growing healthy, so my decision is to continue the treatment with this drug.”

Anonymous April 23, 2009

“This is perhaps one of the best medications out there. It will kill the fungus as long as you stay on top for about 6 months to a year with the medicine. To bad it's not over the counter yet.”