User Reviews for Donepezil

Lewy Body Dementia 7.8
Summary of Donepezil reviews 5.1 84 reviews

Reviews for Donepezil

Sayaints May 24, 2020

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom has been experiencing memory loss for the last couple years. Her short term is memory is questionable, some days are better than others, but overall she has been able to stay relatively independent, able to take care of herself. Her doc put her on 5mg of Donepezil daily. About 5 days into taking she started to have big memory gaps in her long term memory. Forgetting that my dad had passed away 20 years ago. Thinking she had returned from a trip, when she has not been anywhere for ages. It went from I don’t know what day it is to your dad dropped me off this morning I need you to come and get me. Today she took all the pictures down in her apartment, packed up all her clothes and and told me she was cleaning. Change happens with this Disease. But not in 7 days. When I called her doc and explained, he basically told me to watch for the physical side effects and to continue with the meds. I have stopped the meds myself. I wanted to just share my experience.”

Quasaray · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 23, 2020

For Lewy Body Dementia: “My wife is 53. She was diagnosed with LBD (Lewy Body Dementia) just over 3 years ago. She was still working effectively as a school psychologist in mid-2017. By December 2018, she could no longer work. She was having hallucinations regularly. She was sleeping 16 to 18 hours per day. Her ability to communicate effectively was maybe a 5 on a 10-point scale. She had a multitude of other symptoms, many of which she is still suffering, and while she could take care of personal hygiene tasks, she required someone to be home with her at all times. In March 2019, she started 5 mg donepezil. She tolerated it well, so we bumped it to 10 mg. By May 2019 her hallucinations were gone and her ability to communicate was up to 7/10. Today, she is still doing well. I am even able to leave her home alone for the day. She still sleeps a lot and has a lot of Parkinson’s symptoms, but cognitively she is alert. I’m told that donepezil doesn’t work as well with many, but for her it is a miracle drug.”

Lizzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: “I have bipolar disorder and am 50 years old. I noticed I had zero recall, disorientation, and difficult with words. My family doc sent me to a Neuro where I got extensive testing. I was diagnosed with ADHD and CMI so I started with 5mg dose of donepezi and noticed a huge difference within 2-3 weeks. I had some mild leg cramping and diarrhea. After 2 months and a Neuro visit we increased to 10mg. I have been on it for one month. I do not notice any difference except now I am having dreams, I haven’t had a dream in over a year, and they may not be pleasant. I talk to Neuro in another month but so far this medicine is great.”

Eve February 29, 2020

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom took this for 4 days and it was the most horrible experience of all of our lives. She has very mild dementia from stroke and TIAs. We thought perhaps her inability to walk and anxiety could be helped by a neurologist and this was prescribed. We should have waited for the MRI. She did not eat hardly at all. She cried a lot and at night she went completely insane. She thought I was her mother. So the doctor took her off of it. Then the 2 weeks of withdrawal with hallucinations, diarrhea, etc, wandering around without clothes. I am afraid she will never come back to herself again. One of the worst things I have ever been through and I can't imagine how bad it was for her.”

Star · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2020

For Lewy Body Dementia: “My husband started on donepezil 5 mg 1year ago and upped dosage to 10mg 2 months later. I see no improvement.”

Teeps · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2020

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My first experience with Donepezil 10mg was nasty, It affected my sleep in a bad way and made my memory, speech and basic cognitive functions worse and I was continuously lethargic. After 2 months on the drug I can honestly say I feel a huge difference (for the better). There is a big improvement in both my memory and speech and it's really made a difference in my day to day life and daily tasks .”

inertia40 · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

Aricept ODT (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “When I began taking this medication Aricept I immediately began having very bad stomach cramps. I made it 4 days and the cramps were relentless. I had to stop taking this medication.”

sam · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 22, 2019

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “This was used on one of my parents. EXPENSIVE - Does not help and caused diarrhea”

Kathleen October 20, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My 57 year old husband was diagnosed two years ago. He started on donepezil, 10 mg at bedtime 7 months ago. Within a month he experienced clarity that had been long gone. He is happier, more self confident and remembers much more. Is he his old self again? No! But, much improved compared to where we were a year ago. He has not had any negative side effects. My fingers are crossed that this will continue because it has made life so much more bearable.”

Sandy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2019

Aricept (donepezil): “I came on this site to try to find out more information on Aricept for use for my issues ( over active brain) and not dementia. I came to find out I was wrong no one talked about my issues. The doctor told my husband it was generally given for dementia but it may help me. That is the BEST decision a doctor has ever made for me. I am a new person. Prior to taking this I felt like I didn't ever sleep and when I did my mind was racing and I could feel my arms moving all of the time. He gave me 5mg for 1 month and the second month which starts tomorrow I go onto 10 mg. I PRAY it keeps working this good. This drug has saved my life and my marriage.”

lillypod September 20, 2019

For Lewy Body Dementia: “My mum was started on 5mg donepezil 2 months ago. Prior to taking it, her speech was poor, she had a very low mood and very bad memory loss. She also had some paranoia and delusions. She was declining rapidly. For the first few days on the new tablet, I felt she was getting worse with increased confusing, poor appetite, muscle cramps and tinnitus at night. I encouraged her to continue for a few weeks. After week 1 she began to improve. Her speech improved as did her mood and her psychiatric symptoms have stopped. She is smiling again and although her memory is still poor, she is more independent with self care. I feel this drug has certainly halted her decline. It was increased to 10 mg but was reduced again as side effects were too severe. The 5mg dose is working wonders thank goodness. I suggest not giving up on this too soon and expect some teething problems. Find the best dose for your loved one. It may help you get back some precious quality interaction with them.”

Sunnydale · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: “I was prescribed this medication for memory loss and overall cognitive functioning. I am only 43, but I have bipolar disorder and my tranquilizing meds were ruining my mental capacity. I read it takes a few months to work, but I’ve been on this 2 weeks and can see a real improvement. I feel so much sharper and have been able to retain and recall information more easily. It doesn’t ‘hurt my brain’ to think anymore. Side effects have included an increased thirst and occasionally mild stomach cramping. I’m on a lot of meds that all have side effects so this isn’t an issue for me.”

Boudreaux · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Donepezil was great at the beginning taking 5 mg for 3 years. Maybe I need to increase the dosage.”

Bob872 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 20, 2019

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “Update , now on 10 Mgs of Aricept for Alzheimer's. Memory has improved a bit but still some confusion when driving . Overall I feel like it is helping . Can now finish most sentences but mind still wanders . Time will tell . I'm turning 61 next well and very thankful for my Neurologist . God Bless.”

berta59463 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My MD tagged my DL (drivers licence)when she prescribed this med. When I asked why she said "we report every prescription of this med to the DMV." So (age 71) I took the written test and am scheduled for the road test. Proctor said "you did VERY well!" on the written test! Not too worried about the driving test (my 40 YO niece says "you drive better than I do!"). So be forewarned. Drug well tolerated, no issues. Is it doing anything good? Who knows?”

berta59463 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2019

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: “I am 71. No functional impairment, but with a family history of, not dementia, but short term memory loss. Went to a "memory clinic" to see if there was anything I could/should do to guard against my mother's fate. They prescribed donepezil 10MG for "mild dementia" and notified the DMV. Driving history: no moving violations and no collisions, not even a bump -- but hey. When I inquired why? the MD said they notify the DMV of EVERY prescription of donepezil. Maybe this is the law, but be forewarned. PS: am I getting any benefit? Hard to know, since I didn't have any issues, was looking for **preventive** measures available. OTOH no neg effects, either.”

mary June 16, 2019

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “Had great hopes for Aricept to help but it left me very weak and sore from nausea and diarrhea 8 hours after taking. I could do very little all day. I weigh less than 100 lbs and think even 5 mg was too much for me. Glad it works for some . I will not take this med again.”

Calendula · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Donepezil made 81 year old mother in mid stage dementia VERY dizzy. A big NOPE from me.”

pablo April 13, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My 85 year old mother was diagnosed in January with Alzheimer’s and vascular (mixed dementia) and put on donepezil. This year previous to this had been very difficult year when her word power left her (she couldn’t remember the name of objects), she could no longer write and was unable to keep her accounting books - to name just a few issues. She was also very depressed with no motivation at all. Since being on donepezil (10 mg) she is much brighter in herself - wanting to do things and go to places. She has recently had new curtains and blinds put in throughout her house - something she wouldn’t have even contemplated a year ago. Her writing has improved noticeably and she is attempting to keep her books again although I don’t think this is hugely successful. She still forgets words. She says it has given her some of her confidence back. As a whole we have found that donepezil’s biggest improvement has been in her state of mind and attitude and for that alone we are very grateful.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2019

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: “I had TBI (traumatic brain injury) and have had worse and worse time getting along in doing daily things, this medication does help some. It is much better than nothing at all. I know that depending on what other medications and conditions that serious side effects can happen. I have asthma and COPD, but know how to treat that with various medications. Rescue inhaler is not enough, but have other medications that are quite effective including Combivent. There are many interactions, and I have been told by others that even genetics can cause adverse reactions with this medication. So far the worst thing has been headaches, and with this it is important to pay attention to the drug interactions to avoid problems. The other thing that I like about this medication is the cost, as unlike some of the other medications this is very inexpensive.”

marushka February 20, 2019

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: “My boyfriend who is active, working hard, last generation of French canadian lumberjacks, during his annual physical told doctor about mild memory laps, probably age related, doctor diagnosed him immediately with dementia and gave this terror drug. My boyfriend took 10 mg twice at breakfast, he got sicker and sicker, he could not function, threw up, it felt like they messed with his head. Also he was nauseous, light headed etc. We went to ER, thanks goodness, they said adverse reaction, plenty of fluid to pee it out, but he is still not well. So he switched doctors immediately, it could have cost him life. Folks, be careful out there, there are alternatives. Check holistic doctors. Doctors get paid to give meds.”

sunshine January 23, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom is on donepezil and namenda. Last xmas 2017 my mom was doing terrible. Very depressed, memory was getting noticeably worse. We couldn't get her to leave the house. My brother and I decided at 73 years old her time was ending. Mom had suffered many losses in her life including loss of a son who died at 21, her husband who passed at age 52 and 2 sisters ( 1 in her late 40's, the other in her early 60's.) Mom has made a remarkable recovery. She no longer needs a walker,i s eager to go everywhere, her mood and zest for life is amazing. We've seen an drastic improvement in her memory. [She had told dr she was having memory problems.] I recently started looking up her meds. Maybe there was good reason I hadn't looked them up before. Upon reading reviews truly I would have been scared. I have no idea if it's because of these meds but feel truly blessed to be sharing more precious time with my mom. She actually calls my husband and I to check up on us if we're sick. Also calls to see when we are available to take her out.”

Sana January 2, 2019

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My Mother was only on .5 mgs but was confused and strange on it. She was on it two weeks until finally I took her off . She has never been the same since. She used to follow a routine. Now her brain is terrible . It makes me sick to my stomach how much this drug deteriorated my Mother. She got a throats infection and a finger infection during that time , if you read the fine print 13 % of people get an infection on it. But they say, I don't believe them, that 12% get an infection on placebo . Making it 1% extra people that get an infection. Well then my Mom was the 1% and had to go on antibiotics that screwed her system up too. I really feel sick we gave her this drug. ”

Bob 872 November 30, 2018

Aricept (donepezil) for Alzheimer's Disease: “I have been on Aricept 5mg at bedtime for 2 months . Was diagnosed just after I turned 60 this summer . I started having trouble finishing a sentence , my mind would go blank . I knew something was wrong . Had the blood test APOE test and scored 3/4 out of 4/4 . Aricept seems to be helping me think clearer . The side effects of Diarrhea first happen in the beginning , but went away . Don't give up on this medication . Its helping me .”

crwriter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 13, 2018

For Mild Cognitive Impairment: “I am lucky to have survived this medication. The prescribing doctor did not bother to research drug reactions and left me on Trazadone for insomnia. I realized there was a problem, but only lowered Trazadone from 300 mg to 100 mg because of intense insomnia. I was in the nuthouse 3 times on this drug, and no one questioned Aricept as the cause. I was taken off Aricept in May of 2017 for muscle spasms and have been fine ever since.”